• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 14, 2018
I think I'm going to play through the 3rd semester again, I loved it that much. And now it's clear to me all the uber positive reviews the game got had a lot to do with the 3rd semester being the last impression of the game, I don't think I've ever been happier with anything Atlus has done.
I can't express how much I love Throw Away Your Mask and how cool it is to have a final boss theme from the perspective of the antagonist.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest QOL improvements is the fact that baton passing is now a base ability and not a confidant rank ability. It always sucked so hard in P5 that a new party member could never baton pass in their own arc's Palace.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, come on... there's free themes and avatars you can get via the Trophies? But you had to have the Sony promo emails enabled?

Am I fucked then... I just beat the whole game ffs.
I haven't gotten it and I've beaten it months ago. I've just resigned myself to never getting it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Close to being done with the 3rd semester I think and yeah, really digging it. Just two minor complaints: there have been some really strange and clunky translations here, especially wrt Joker's dialogue choices, and
Akechi has mellowed out a bit since the start of January which has been unfortunate. I like him much more as a snippy asshole. His absolutely hamming it up performance during combat is great, though, it's so over-the-top lol.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Finally got my themes for plat. Not gonna switch out of makoto any time soon, except maybe there's afeature to make it randomly select themes every time I turn on ps4... there isn't right?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
This game has kind of ruined other more common and mainstream JRPGs for me like Pokémon. Pokémon feels like such a shallow execution of turn-based gameplay and the lame graphics and battle animations don't impress. Finishing the palace 5 boss fight was both a challenge and a spectacle, however, deeply rich in its systems and it really requires you to dig into all the pockets of the combat system. I think this is my favorite turn based combat game since the original Valkyria Chronicles.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the plat, how does one beat the Reaper? During my playthrough I went in during flu season expecting a cheesy win but they evidently fixed that exploit.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the plat, how does one beat the Reaper? During my playthrough I went in during flu season expecting a cheesy win but they evidently fixed that exploit.
Other than letting him attack you so he only gets one turn, there's no special trick to it. He's not particularly difficult.

You could always just fight him in 3rd semester when you're super high levelled. He doesn't scale so he'll be a breeze by then.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Let him ambush you, cast makarakarn on someone and he'll get in a loop of casting concentrate and megidolaon. Then just have someone for defense buffs, healing, debilitate, etc.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Who has the best confidant in Royal ?
I really love that they changed Akechi's , his rank ups are fun and I was not expecting his rank 8 battle,it definitely makes his character better than the original

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jose's a weird character.
His deal is never explained, and they're pretty blatantly teasing something with him. I know the devs have talked about Sophia in P5S being an entity akin to Jose, but I don't think P5S goes into Jose's origins, either. Was kinda disappointed to see his deal being that much of a loose thread.

They also don't go into where the antagonist's persona actually came from. I guess they could just leave it nebulous, but it's usually the kind of detail that has a proper explanation in Persona.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Roll credits! Took me almost exactly 120 hours. Never thought I'd put this much time into an SP game.

Amazing game, though. I'll probably write a longer post on it later today or tomorrow. My internet is down for some reason and there's no way I'll do it on mobile lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna keep playing nonstop but I don't want it to end so I'm over here trying attempting to hold myself accountable to a couple hours a day. Lol.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
50 hours in and I just realized that there's a plant in my room that I can take care of for Kindness. No wonder my star looks like a one legged monster.

kDXh0GW.jpg

Damn son, doesn't look like someone is doing best girl Futaba's confidant. Or finishing Sojiro's for that matter.

Finally got my themes for plat. Not gonna switch out of makoto any time soon, except maybe there's afeature to make it randomly select themes every time I turn on ps4... there isn't right?

If only. Probably gonna go with Maruki's whenever I get his. Ideal and the real is too good a song to pass up.

Also, has anyone heard of anything for a new OST released for Royal's tracks? I definitely need some of these in my collection.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Haru and Makoto's showtime. I'm fucking crying laughing lmao ... Did not expect that.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Very early 3rd semester spoiler

I laughed when I heard Bryce Papenbrook's voice coming from what I'm assuming is human Morgana. I associate his voice too much with Naegi and Nagito from Danganronpa.

Feb 10, 2018
I have 2 questions about the game :

For those who have already beaten it in the past : how many weeks / months did it take you to beat it? During lockdown, playing 5 hours a day, it took me almost a month, so when you have a regular routine / job I guess it would take a crazy amount of time, wouldn't it?

Also : what do you think about the English vocabulary and syntax of the game? I'm not a native but I still have a correct English, but I found that there's a LOT of strange and unusual vocabulary. Have you noticed that?

straylize

Oct 25, 2017

I laughed when I heard Bryce Papenbrook's voice coming from what I'm assuming is human Morgana. I associate his voice too much with Naegi and Nagito from Danganronpa.

The choice to do this is so weird to me because

Ikue Otani still voices human Morgana in Japanese, and that total dissonance helped really sell how wrong the whole situation is. It makes Joker seem a little dumb for not recognizing him right away, but it's always supposed to be obvious, so the English recast is so bizarre.

I have 2 questions about the game :

For those who have already beaten it in the past : how many weeks / months did it take you to beat it? During lockdown, playing 5 hours a day, it took me almost a month, so when you have a regular routine / job I guess it would take a crazy amount of time, wouldn't it?

Also : what do you think about the English vocabulary and syntax of the game? I'm not a native but I still have a correct English, but I found that there's a LOT of strange and unusual vocabulary. Have you noticed that?

I played the import in about a month's time and I'm on par to do the same for the English version; I work 43 hour weeks and my job hasn't been impacted by lockdowns since I work in an essential industry. I probably would have shaved a week off both playthroughs (about 3/3.5 weeks), but the Japanese one I was only playing in long weekend sessions and over my Thanksgiving vacation while playing another game during the week... and the English version got put aside for a few days to play FF7R.

As for the syntax... they fixed a fair amount of things, a lot of the new content is pretty natural, but there are a lot of remaining oddities that didn't get hit with another editing pass, or have very stock JP-to-EN phrasing left in (like "it can't be helped"). I'm a native speaker, and that stuff does drive me a little bananas, honestly.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017

Wait the English dub has someone else voices him entirely? That's a weird choice to me. I really liked how strange yet familiar it was when you first hear Mona's human voice for the first time.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The choice to do this is so weird to me because

Ikue Otani still voices human Morgana in Japanese, and that total dissonance helped really sell how wrong the whole situation is. It makes Joker seem a little dumb for not recognizing him right away, but it's always supposed to be obvious, so the English recast is so bizarre.

Maybe it's a first impression sticks thing. The idea of Morgana sounding the same in both forms doesn't sound like a great idea , and I'm glad for the recast.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This game has kind of ruined other more common and mainstream JRPGs for me like Pokémon. Pokémon feels like such a shallow execution of turn-based gameplay and the lame graphics and battle animations don't impress. Finishing the palace 5 boss fight was both a challenge and a spectacle, however, deeply rich in its systems and it really requires you to dig into all the pockets of the combat system. I think this is my favorite turn based combat game since the original Valkyria Chronicles.
If you're into the battle system try out Persona's cousin SMT IV& Apocalypse on the 3ds. The games aren't big on characters like Persona but the atmosphere, music and battles are top notch. I dare to say, it's one of the best if not the best turn-based battle system ever made.

Xarius

Oct 28, 2017
Wait the English dub has someone else voices him entirely? That's a weird choice to me. I really liked how strange yet familiar it was when you first hear Mona's human voice for the first time.

In English, his cat form is voiced by a woman, while his human form is voiced by a man. Is it different in Japanese?

Feb 10, 2018
As for the syntax... they fixed a fair amount of things, a lot of the new content is pretty natural, but there are a lot of remaining oddities that didn't get hit with another editing pass, or have very stock JP-to-EN phrasing left in (like "it can't be helped"). I'm a native speaker, and that stuff does drive me a little bananas, honestly.

Thanks for the answer! What's the problem with "it can't be helped"? Doesn't that sentence exist? Maybe teenagers wouldn't use it, or not in this context?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answer! What's the problem with "it can't be helped"? Doesn't that sentence exist? Maybe teenagers wouldn't use it, or not in this context?

That specific phrase is a direct JP translation and is usually considered to be not a common phrase in English. It's not wrong but you most likely won't hear people say it in English.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
That specific phrase is a direct JP translation and is usually considered to be not a common phrase in English. It's not wrong but you most likely won't hear people say it in English.

Yeah, pretty much this. There are some phrases that when translated into English are not technically incorrect but... are not really commonly natural for native speakers to use. "It can't be helped" is something that makes its way over a lot in JP-to-EN translations to the point it's kind of meme'd. There are a lot of instances where P5 doesn't translate it so directly (there are instances of it quite a few times in Joker's dialogue trees), but a few things like that still slip through. It's not the worst thing, but tends to reek of needing another editing pass when it comes up, in my opinion.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, I've only seen Kasumi's first rank confidant, but everything about her screams extremely focus tested waifu bait. Including how you can intervene on her behalf to save her from a heckler lmao

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I've only seen Kasumi's first rank confidant, but everything about her screams extremely focus tested waifu bait. Including how you can intervene on her behalf to save her from a heckler lmao

And it's working for a lot of people! It only gets worse from there to be honest.

Not me, I stay loyal.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Kasumi and Jose feel like they teleported in from a worse game. The crew that made this new content is making the entire next game?

(I like the counselor guy though, he's chill)

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Does
Futaba's palace
imply that the Phantom Thieves can help those with mental illness/mental turmoil?

It would have been an interesting route to go down if so, rather than continuing the focus on crime and corruption.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
What I want to know is how they removed none of the bullshit from Palace 5 and actually added a far worse boss fight. How is that possible.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
User warned: Ableist language.
welp...so before doing any reading on this I just assumed you'd get the extra semester ect by just playing out the game but come to realize you need to get the councilor confidant to rank 9 before 11/18 and he was one of the ones I didn't fully finish. I guess I should have figured that out when the game was giving you the chance. I still feel its ridiculous but oh well, I'm not about to replay the game right away after all these hours I put into it.

Edit: mybad

Last edited: