• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So bits and pieces of the new P5R Famitsu feature that Atlus promised we'd be getting have managed to find their way onto Era and other sites, but the entire interview with Wada, Itou and Soejima has finally been translated with some really interesting information. All of this is courtesy of Frontline Gaming Japan.

The latest issue of Famitsu includes new information on the upcoming updated version of Persona 5 The Royal, including a developer interview with producer Wada Kazuhisa, director Itou Daiki, and character designer Soejima Shigenori.
Details
New character Yoshizawa Kasumi (voiced by Amamiya Sora) is stated to be representative of the new elements introduced to P5R. A freshman entering Shujin Academy at the start of the story in April, she gets involved with the protagonist from early on in the story, and has been excelling in gymnastics since middle school. She gets along with the protagonist, but is also skeptical of the Phantom Thieves, but screenshots show her as a member of the Phantom Thieves. No details have been revealed so far on what leads her to joining them.

royal1_c1_ss2_9a6bff79575cf9b5c41788e834f623e4.jpg

Another new character introduced in P5R is school councelor Maruki Takuto (voiced by Hino Satoshi), who joins the school due to the incident which results in the Phantom Thieves forming, and serves as a new confidant.

royal1_c2_ss1_87a5b3c46d1d03037983f203d681c75e.jpg

P5R makes the third school semester which was not seen in Persona 5 a playable period, which includes events such as the new year. The first and second semesters are also changed with new features such as the addition of new characters like Kasumi and new events like school cleanup activities or venturing outside the Velvet Room with Caroline and Justine. Additionally, the town of Kichijoji is added as a new area to explore, combination attacks for party members, powerful new enemies, new gimmicks in the dungeons, and changes to the persona fusing system. New screenshots also depict Futaba sitting in Leblanc next to a woman who resembles her mother, and what seems to be Morgana in a human form.

carousel_ss7_fc1b1af718935aebc0fa7d9a8d03d7bb.jpg

royal2_ss1_eaa581d6b9821bf165d3982350e1a5c4.jpg

royal3_sec1_ss1_7d6fa9ae969f6622fa1d900312f7c7d7.jpg

Interview with producer Wada Kazuhisa, director Itou Daiki, and character designer Soejima Shigenori
The interview begins with the interviewer asking the three about the title of the game, and Wada says that "Royal" was decided on early in the project, and chosen so as to portray a title that is "artistic, proud and gorgeous". He says that it is to P5 what Persona 4 The Golden was to Persona 4.

Itou adds that they did not just add new features but also change existing ones, such as adding functions that allow players to gain more experience points to improve the pacing of the game, streamlining it all-round but taking care not to ruin its balance. There are also things like a function that looks at the player's parameters and proposes where to go to raise the lower ones, and allows the player to go to the proposed place simply by pressing the confirm button, which he says is not for people aiming for a "perfect" playthrough, but rather want to experience as much as they can, saying that it helps them to find out more. Wada says that these functions make it so that people who want to go in-depth and people who just want to get through the game quickly can both play the game their way.

royal3_sec2_ss2_b535fc906438dfbafedf6d3faa76d1bf.jpg

Wada says that the amount of content in P5R's third semester is similar to that in P4G's, and Itou says that the daily life portions have plenty of new events, and that the non-daily-life portions may exceed the expectations of people who experienced P4G.

Kichijoji is implemented as a new town that players can explore like Shibuya and Shinjuku. Soejima says that the staff went around Tokyo looking for an appropriate location to add, and Itou elaborates on this, saying that they were looking for a town that would represent the current age, and decided on Kichijoji, due to how it is a place where all sorts of culture fuses, with fashionable stores for younger people, old pubs, and traditional temples. The new dart minigame added in P5R is also implemented in Kichijoji, as part of a collaboration with Sega Sammy group dart machine company Dartslive. Wada mentions that they also borrowed an actual machine as part of the collaboration, which the staff enjoyed playing with, and Itou adds that darts will be one of the more in-depth minigames like P5's batting center.

royal3_sec1_ss2_f18a0da1ce45545d855212de9a5ecfba.jpg

New character Yoshizawa Kasumi is discussed next. As a student of the same school as the protagonists, she naturally has the chance to meet with them often. Itou says that the addition of a new character results in new ways of seeing or enjoying the story, and helps in better portraying pre-existing characters as well, and Kasumi was created after much consideration over how to make a character that would make this possible. Wada says that they took care to make Kasumi's addition to the story natural, making sure not to change the original story too much.

Soejima talks about Kasumi's design next, and says that adding new characters to something which has an original version is a tough job for character designers, something not limited to P5R. He says that as most people interested in P5R are likely to be fans of Persona 5 to begin with, he did his best to make sure that she does not look out of place when placed next to the existing characters. Unlike P4G's Marie, who had a special place in the game as a new denizen of the Velvet Room, Kasumi is actually involved in the main story, and so making sure that her design fits in was especially important, and Soejima designed her to be the "icon" of P5R.

Soejima also says that Kasumi's design was made to look elegant due to how she is a gymnast, and also made to look like a "classic" heroine. As for her costume as a phantom thief, Soejima says that while her character's position is not meant to be a reflection of the protagonist's, she is the "icon" of P5R, and so her costume was designed to be a reflection of the protagonist's, with the same concept of what most people think a cool phantom thief would look like.

royal3_sec1_ss3_19662297f68e7c6a4301bbdec85234fb.jpg

carousel_ss4_a9c7863e63e319e50adcb0a0fa1c5e28.jpg

The interviewer next asks about the teaser trailer revealed in March which showed Kasumi skeptical of the Phantom Thieves, and Itou says that while they are not ready to reveal more yet, there is more to it than it seems, and that the impressions viewers may have gotten from the trailer may be different from what they get once they play the game. He adds that Kasumi is a confidant as well, and says that more information will be revealed later.

carousel_ss5_eb13b75ca50599e8b43f1a8e23c57add.jpg

The new confidant Maruki Takuto is discussed next. As a school counselor, he listens to problems the protagonist has, and as schoolmates, Ryuuji and Ann get involved as well, and the player will get to learn how the other characters are feeling. Wada says that while Persona 5 had few sympathetic adult characters early in the game, the addition of Maruki, who is nice to the protagonist, should be refreshing, adding something different to the Persona 5 formula of "children versus bad adults". Soejima says Maruki's design went easily, as a man who seems slightly daft.

royal1_c2_img1_4a4dd79a6e37bd7534e4fe77cdb88127.png

Itou says that as new confidants, both Kasumi and Maruki give the players new benefits, and also confirms that there will be other new confidants, though they are not ready to reveal further details yet.

Soejima says that P5R also adds a large number of new portraits for conversations to the game, which should make conversations more refreshing, and that this includes new costumes for characters in the third semester. This was a large amount of work for the art team, and he hopes people notice the effort.

carousel_ss2_349a50e1f2c4bfda41fe20b74d4a72a8.jpg

Itou says that as creators, when they looked back at Persona 5, they saw many parts that they wished they did differently, and all of that is poured into P5R. He says that aside from the new characters and third semester, the whole game has been improved considerably as well, turned into a new experience.

Finally, Wada says that the staff are now working as hard as they can to finish the game, and that it is a period where they can feel the quality improving each day, and that they intend to run all the way so as to meet expectations.

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
All of this sounds fantastic and seems like this is a much greater project in scope than P4 Golden was.

Really looking forward to this with the PS4 Pro enhancements.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Itou says that as creators, when they looked back at Persona 5, they saw many parts that they wished they did differently, and all of that is poured into P5R
Hopefully this includes removing the scenes with the predatory gay couple. I'm hopeful that some of that stuff will be fixed, but I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it. Stuff about improving pacing sounds good too!

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
He said improving the pacing.
The magic words.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my most hyped game for next year. That being said, I really hope they change or alter the need to have max stats to continue confidants. I dropped P5 several times because raising my charm to max took too long and I lost interest frequently.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I've been holding off on a replay in anticipation of this expansion~~~

Hope they tone down the excessive fanservice, regarding Ann.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I was one of those that was not sure about extended version of Persona 5. Now I will be there day one, I'm weak.

They also say they made sure Kasumi would not change the original story. That's weird because the very deliberate screen tell as something else...

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Persona 5 but couldn't picture myself playing through it again.

These details may have convinced me.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Persona 5 for cheap but haven't had a chance to play it. I wonder if I should just wait for Royal or if all of the updates will be wasted on me.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hopefully this includes removing the scenes with the predatory gay couple. I'm hopeful that some of that stuff will be fixed, but I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it. Stuff about improving pacing sounds good too!

Yeah, I'm not gonna get my hopes up for that.

I still wonder what the point of those characters was, but I don't feel like Atlus has yet reached the point where they would refrain from doing stuff like that

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was so soooooo close to the end of P5 but other games got in the way so I'm definitely gonna get this one and finally finish it. Seems like they're adding a lot and hearing about the improved pacing is great, hopefully that means the dungeons feel a bit faster because those were just so loooooong.

Can't wait to go to sleep all the time again.......no, please don't make me sleep all the time again Morgana. :(

Jan 4, 2018
I'm so ready to play through P5 again. Everything that they've said and shown of Royal sounds amazing, especially stuff like the counselor.

Adding a character to explore the impact of what would be a deeply traumatic event to actually people is pretty cool. Whether or not they do it well is another thing, but it gives me some hope they make more meaningful changes/additions.

And as others have mentioned, I really hope they remove or change the depiction of the gay couple.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Waiting to preorder this on Amazon Japan since they haven't said what the hell the special editions even include yet except "an artbook" which balloons the price $80.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Itou says that as new confidants, both Kasumi and Maruki give the players new benefits, and also confirms that there will be other new confidants, though they are not ready to reveal further details yet.

Sae Nijima, let's go!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very happy with how much it sounds like they're adding. Especially the fact they're adding even more confidants, that new semester must be pretty long if they're fitting in 3 or more new confidants.

I'm also a big fan of the new more expressive portraits so I'm happy to hear that it sounds like there's a lot of them.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Adding more content to this game and somehow improving the pacing would be a mighty feat.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I wonder how long this version will be. The original was already 80-100 hours lol.

I have to say I was very disappointed with P5 but it looks like most of the complaints are being addressed and then some. I can't wait.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this would release this year in the west. :/
But well, 2020 will be an amazing last year for PS4 before we move on.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this. I will be getting it day 1 and do another 100+ hour playthrough. I think I was at 182 hrs when I got my platinum on P5.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm real skeptical about some of these apparent changes. I don't really want Morgana in human form; not only is he insufferable enough as a character (though I love Cassandra Lee Morris's voice work for him!), it also feels a little too much like what they did for Teddy. Based on some earlier comments about scenes with him and the MC, it also sounds like they'll lean into the same "unchained id" aspect that Teddy showed a lot in his human form.

The less said about the woman sitting next to Futaba, the better. That just feels like dumb wish fulfillment on so many levels.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It all sounds awesome. I am glad they are looking at the pacing of the game because that was by far the worst part. I can't wait to see all the changes and just the 3 extra month gets me hype.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
For someone who never played P4G, how many extra hours are they estimating for this third semester since they said it's comparable?

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they will let you do a NG+ with this new version (I don't want to have to fuse my favorite demons and abilities again). What I mean to say is that I want to take my vanilla save and load it in Royal for a NG+ mode with the new and revised content.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
"Persona 5 had few sympathetic adult characters early in the game"

Glad they recognized this and are addressing it. I had a hard time with Ren getting treated like garbage by nearly everyone in the game's opening act. Like, really? No one can be sympathetic to the fact that he was just trying to help out a woman in trouble?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Welp, with this round of details, I'm officially quite excited for P5 Royal. I'm actually hoping the third semester kinda makes the pacing of the current back end of the game feel much better...

It feels like it will actually give the game a sense of narrative progression while also offering more opportunities to hit up Mementos during downtime so it doesn't feel like it's such a slog to get through if you weren't tapping into it in the back end of the game. Fortunately for me, I was kinda caught up on Mementos when the story called for it, but I did still feel like there was a long period of time with no sense of narrative progression leading to the final set of dungeons, and I kind of hope Semester 3 will bridge into that better. The length isn't the problem, it just felt like a lot of the player agency elements went away and you got funneled into pretty linear storytelling that had nothing to do with choice-and-consequence feedback of the rest of the game. That endgame seemed like it just took too long to tell its own story and the game just started disregarding the self-made storytelling of the player that I had grown accustomed to up to that point.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its cool we already know what the goty for 2020 will be

Futaba's mom?

They really gon change the game that much just to redeem Akechi lol.
I imagine its going to be...

Dream sequences. In the trailer they mention dreams and Futaba having her Mom back and Morgana being human would fulfill their dreams. I imagine its not going to be permanent as Futaba's arc would be greatly changed. I think Akechi will still get a redemption tour, but these aspects I think will be seperate

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not letting us transfer P5 saves is some white hot bullshit. I spend 160 hours on P5, and the thought of having to start from scratch makes me almost not even interested in P5r.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who never played P4G, how many extra hours are they estimating for this third semester since they said it's comparable?

IIRC P4G is actually shorter than P4, even with more content, just due to the other changes that made fights faster and stuff like that. Since this sounds like it's also doing tweaks to EXP and Dungeons there's not really a way to compare it.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Persona 5 is a top 5 video game for me but I don't know if I want to drop $60 to play what is likely a 120 hour game with the new expanded content when they will probably change stuff from the story for the worse, namely

Akechi getting redemption.

A lot of this stuff sounds neat, but I think for now I'll stick with my NG+ replay and wait for impressions when Royal is out/gets a price drop.