• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
A good first step (if it actually turns out well), but how hard is it to not include this shit in the first place

Also they should have gone back and redone the rest of the script too. The English localization was really poor

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
A good first step (if it actually turns out well), but how hard is it to not include this shit in the first place

Also they should have gone back and redone the rest of the script too. The English localization was really poor

They are doing another pass on the script it seems. At least some portions like "Kamoshida a scum" text was fixed.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That actually sounds quite nice, and an important step. I didn't pick up Persona 5, despite absolutely loving this series, having fallen in love with 2 when it came out. But as a queer gamer, and the way these games treat LGBTQ+ folk, it's just awful, and it got so, so tiring.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I see people bitching about this on the SMT Subreddit (Not surprising, the place always did remind me of /v/)
I feel like "Resetera" has become the new "Ess Jay Dubyas", as people complaining about censoring have a habit of mentioning Era.
Nobody's talking about it in the P5 Sub.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I see people bitching about this on the SMT Subreddit (Not surprising, the place always did remind me of /v/)
I feel like "Resetera" has become the new "Ess Jay Dubyas", as people complaining about censoring have a habit of mentioning Era.
According to twitter, Era is the reason why this change happened. "WE FORCED IT"!!!!111!!111

Jokes aside, twitter is literally saying ResetEra forced this change. Kinda baffled, but unsurprised.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Would've been nice if they'd fixed the original Japanese as well.
It still kinda feels like they don't see the problem, but they're fixing it to avoid pissing off fans in the West (again).

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Good, now people can comfortably ignore the fact their money is still going to homophobic devs.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
And yet they still expected me to know the ingredients necessary to cook daigaku imo...

Haha, oh yeah. I was definitely stumped a few times too. (My point is more that gamers are mad about changes and censorship, but they don't realize that the game has already been changed a lot in the process of localization. It's a huge blind spot that's only there because of homophobia/racism/transphobia/whatever anti-SJW idea du jour, not out of any actual concern for accuracy.)

ughhhh that sub is freaking awful. I subscribe to it to keep up with news and fan projects, but it really makes me not want to interact with SMT/Persona fandom. Oof.

On one hand, it's good that they're starting to be aware those homophobic scenes are not okay, but to change it just in localisation feels like they learned the wrong lesson here. Like it's us westerners that are "too sensitive" or whatever.

I mean, this is specifically Atlus West, not Atlus Japan. West can't exactly change the game themselves; they can only switch around the localization to be a closer match to social mores while attempting to stay true to the spirit of the work. I don't necessarily expect the source material to be up to our standards when it comes to representation and stereotypes, considering the difficulties LGBTQIA people face in Japan right now and the way the society differs so heavily from our own, but stuff that's as blatant as the gay guys in P5 (especially when they've also had sympathetic characters like Lala or Kanji in the original P4) is truly frustrating.

(Most of this is not a response to you, specifically, crimilde; it's more my thoughts after catching up on the thread. Just wanted to make that clear.)

I think it's particularly unrealistic to think that the devs would patch out the homophobic content, not just because Japanese society, queer activism, and social mores are so different from are own in many ways, but also because it's simply not a thing that's done. Hell, they didn't patch the game at all, iirc; expecting the removal of homophobia isn't exactly reasonable. Hell, from what I can tell, Atlus rarely ever patches their games; they'll do updated rereleases like P5R or P4G, but patches aren't particularly common. It isn't "you have to pay $60 to get rid of homophobia, fuck you," it's "hey, we at the localization team know this sucks, we're doing what we can and we're learning, we can't patch something on our own so this is what we *can* do."

I also think it's a bit cynical to see that Atlus West is going to do what they can to mitigate the homophobia and decide that it's not good enough: they're not the ones in charge of the game, they're being tugged in all directions by queer fans and by the anti-SJW fans, and changes likely have to be approved in general by Atlus Japan. What they're doing is an attempt to make things right, and I don't think it valuable to hate them (especially the localizers!) for being imperfect. We have to recognize there's a huge difference between Atlus West (the localizers) and Atlus Japan (the actual developers). West can only do so much, you know?

It's important to critique the media we consume, to hold content creators responsible. It's also a very personal decision to continue or cease consuming media that has problematic elements that impact you. What one person may let slide, even while criticizing it, another person won't want to continue with. That's completely fine, but I think we also have to understand that this road to progress is frustratingly slow. Atlus West going to bat for us is, by all means, a good thing: it shows that they hear us, that they want to help out, that they're pushing back on Atlus Japan. It doesn't excuse the homophobia (or in Catherine: Full Body's case, transphobia), and I'm not trying to excuse it. I was intensely frustrated, myself, with the stereotypes in P5, with how Kanji was treated after the original P4 release, and so on. Sadly, I think that the majority of changes will need to come from Japanese citizens discussing the game, as it's pretty rare for Japanese devs to keep a close eye on international gamer opinions. It's becoming more common, but it's still not quite as important, and I'd bet that goes even moreso for a game series that's so tied to Japanese daily life.

I'm not saying we need to praise Atlus West or extol their virtues or anything, but I think it's important to remember perspective: this is progress.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I was looking up some preview footage on Youtube a minute ago, and now most recent uploads for Persona 5 Royal are shit like "Atlus bends the knee to outrage mob" and "P5R censored to please ResetEra".

I just.

lol

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
According to twitter, Era is the reason why this change happened. "WE FORCED IT"!!!!111!!111

Jokes aside, twitter is literally saying ResetEra forced this change. Kinda baffled, but unsurprised.

Forcing positive change into games. We're truly doing good for the industry.

No idea why they'd attribute the issue to us tho, reset is far from the only place to mention it.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
I think that's pretty much the case, see P5R, Catherine Full Body's transphobia, and this from P5 Scramble:

Persona-5-Scramble-shadow-joker.jpg

Good on Atlus West for pushing on this though

What's wrong with the image....?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have been there in the first place, but it's better than leaving it as is. Hopefully they're better about this going forward, but I won't hold my breath.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's the "dark = black" trope that has been done before by others, but is aggravating that so often it becomes "he's the original but he's black because he's the dark one" I don't know of Atlus having done that trope before P5S but I could be wrong. It's very tone deaf for sure though.

Also... Shadow Selves didn't have darker skin in previous games or even P5 main. They just have crazy yellow eyes. So why does "evil" Joker suddenly have dark skin.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I was looking up some preview footage on Youtube a minute ago, and now most recent uploads for Persona 5 Royal are shit like "Atlus bends the knee to outrage mob" and "P5R censored to please ResetEra".

I just.

lol
If Resetera really had that sort of power I'd make more threads lol
As a representative of the gay agenda™, I want more than just a few bad scenes to be edited in the localisation of a singular game.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I could see someone make the case for is blackface but that's really really pushing it. I feel like I'm missing something.

It's supposedly the evil = darker skin trope which would be terrible if true and omega force has a history of doing that. That being said, I don't think we actually know what that is exactly last I checked, and I personally thought it was a super form and darker lighting + more emphasis on the glow hair.

Could be wrong though and would be disappointing if they relied on such a stupid trope.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It's supposedly the evil = darker skin trope which would be terrible if true and omega force has a history of doing that. That being said, I don't think we actually know what that is exactly last I checked, and I personally thought it was a super form and darker lighting + more emphasis on the glow hair.

Could be wrong though and would be disappointing if they relied on such a stupid trope.

That is definitely a trope and should be challenged. I will say, aren't "shadows" also generic enemy types in Persona and typically dark?

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That is definitely a trope and should be challenged. I will say, aren't "shadows" also generic enemy types in Persona and typically dark?
Shadows are a generic enemy type in p3/p4 and are like black blobs that look nothing like people typically. There are also "shadow selves" which are typically antagonists representing the true feelings of who they look like, but they almost always look the exact same as the base character typically just with yellow eyes, so I'm a bit doubtful of whatever this new joker is a reference to that. Unless, of course, they just decided to change how it looked for some reason.

I haven't been keeping a super close eye on scramble's pre-release info, but does anyone know if the new joker was ever expanded on? All I remember was him looking smug, and like, joker always looks smug in his thief form.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the image thing is literally doing this. When he was good he was lighter skinned, when he was norted he went full tan/darker skinned.
d1uti9w-0462aae4-812e-4ceb-9908-923644628da9.jpg

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
I will say, aren't "shadows" also generic enemy types in Persona and typically dark?
Shadows are a Jungian Psychology term that is used as a catch-all in Persona for most of your generic enemies. In all games they usually have some characters get one to represent some suppressed part of them. In P3 and P4 they're all orginal designs, while in P5 they have the apperance of your typical MegaTen "demons"

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Shadows are a Jungian Psychology term that is used as a catch-all in Persona for most of your generic enemies. In all games they usually have some characters get one to represent some suppressed part of them. In P3 and P4 they're all orginal designs, while in P5 they have the apperance of your typical MegaTen "demons"

Ah, right. I was thinking the overworld shadow enemies in P4. They literally look like dark shadows.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome to hear, this is a great first step. Would love for the original dev team to get this message in further content they make, but this is at least progress from part of Atlus, and makes me far more keen to jump on Royal when it releases, this is one of those little hang-ups that still made me feel super uncomfortable about the game.

After P2 had a relatably-written gay character and P4 (regardless of some questionable choices admittedly) has Kanji who served as a strong impetus for coming to terms with my own sexuality, it was shitty to see this happen with the latest installment in the series.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I guess that answers the question I had. Specifically, does the audience find this backslide into conservatism to be tonally dissonant with the series or not.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Soros! Censoring artists worldwide

/s

For real though I am excited for translation changes, if there are more. The translation for P5 was a little flat, I hope they spice it up. Got about 3 dungeons into P5 and at this point I've lost the plot so I'm waiting for Royal and then I'm actually going to play it.

Or not play it.
I hope they reword the hermit crab question TBH. It isn't a confusing question in Japanese because hermit crabs are not called crabs there. It only works in English if you know that hermit crabs aren't actually considered "true crabs", which most English speakers don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
it's weird how this shit gets backlash when all forms of media go through a process that involves extensive compromises to a a creator's final vision anyways. Like dude go outside, stop getting angry for other people who aren't complaining that they're getting "censored" because like one or two iffy scenes got cut for another market. Motherfuckers ultimately want to be praised on the whole game not have that bit be the moronic centerpiece.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA

I convinced people I translated this and was in charge of this and a couple white dudes are losing it on me haha.

IT'S ME AUSTIN.

IT WAS ME, ALL ALONG, AUSTIN.

it's weird how this shit gets backlash when all forms of media go through a process that involves extensive compromises to a a creator's final vision anyways. Like dude go outside, stop getting angry for other people who aren't complaining that they're getting censored because like one or two iffy scenes got cut. Motherfuckers ultimately want to be praised on the whole game not have that bit be the moronic centerpiece.
It's all just a hilarious racket. I noticed, while trying to find the actual game footage from the previews, that a lot of these dipshit channels released multiple videos on it in the past 18 hours.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
This is great to hear! Though, it's disheartening to see some of the negative reactions to this news. It's as if some people cannot fathom how something can possibly be negative without it directly impacting them. Media representation is so, so important, especially when consumed by impressionable people who may not even know any real-life gay men.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is great to hear! Though, it's disheartening to see some of the negative reactions to this news. It's as if some people cannot fathom how something can possibly be negative without it directly impacting them. Media representation is so, so important, especially when consumed by impressionable people who may not even know any real-life gay men.

I legit don't get it. Even if you somehow lacked the empathy to understand why the scene is problematic, it's a nothing scene anyway. Like just a short, terrible and blatantly unfunny joke in the first place. Why fight for it? I just don't get it.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I convinced people I translated this and was in charge of this and a couple white dudes are losing it on me haha.

He's had a thing against the site after this went public in a big way:
www.resetera.com

Documented evidence surfacing of NicheGamer's Plagiarism of Articles from Gematsu.

In the past few hours, several instances of plagurism has been noted by Gematsu's twitter, committed by NicheGamer writers who lift edited PRs and other blurbs of text from Gematsu articles of the same subjects without credit, and the twitter has been replying to many article tweets plagiarized...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the dub will still keep its awful pronunciations of the characters names.
To much work to change it I'm sure.
But geez its one of the most surprisingly hard things to listen to.
Thank the gods for the original Japanese audio.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

As amusing as seeing people lose their shit over this, I eventually get tired of reading it. I can't even fathom having the energy to stay angry at the "censorship".

Like, I want to crash when I get home from work every day. Chill, play some video games, watch some anime.... Why do they keep expending so much effort over one small scene....