• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 5, 2020
So this is the horrible "censorship" I've been hearing about? Sounds like an improvement based on fan feedback to me.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, Soros! Censoring artists worldwide

/s

For real though I am excited for translation changes, if there are more. The translation for P5 was a little flat, I hope they spice it up. Got about 3 dungeons into P5 and at this point I've lost the plot so I'm waiting for Royal and then I'm actually going to play it.

Or not play it.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame. You got Yakuza series where the games actually removed anti LGBT stuff from the original versions and the developers spoke out why they did that.

Then you get Atlus who only seems to be falling more and more into anime tropes, sexualization, offensive and bad story elements. I have a feeling it will get worse...
If this is where Atlus is heading, I don't want any part of it. It seems like the otaku money is too good to pass up.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer it if the scene wasn't there rather than just lying to us and telling us they're saying something different than what they are. But I'll take this I guess.

It's like if you went to a different county with a friend who spoke the language and someone called you a racist term and your friend told you they said hi.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It's Something but Atlus West was never the issue here, and Atlus JP seems apathetic to what the issue even is

Oct 27, 2017
If this is where Atlus is heading, I don't want any part of it. It seems like the otaku money is too good to pass up.
Yeah I understand how you feel.

To be fair to them, it is not just Atlus who is falling into this hole. A lot of japanese companies are doing so. You got SNK with their weird as hell gacha games that are sexualizing everything it can, and Koei Tecmo who seems to be trying to make everything into "otaku" (hope that doesn't happen to Nioh).

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like script change but uh id rather there atleast be an option to just not have these scenes appear at all

like, its more than just the script thats the problem. with dialogue changes, the predatory feeling is still there, just more subte and..... thats still real bad.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A localization change is only a bandaid fix when the real problem is the game's shitty writing. I would rather it exist unaltered with Atlus getting their shit together next time.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just like how they fixed the homophobic content in the western release of Catherine Full Body?

Yeeeah.... I ain't holding my breath.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I wish but too many fangirls want him to be redeemed despite being an unlikeable prick.

We just want him to kiss the main character.
He can die afterwards.

Like, you know, that broody character in that big movie last year. (It's a spoiler, so I'm not naming the movie. You know what I mean if you saw it.)
And just like that time, we'll pretend that this wasn't what we wanted once it happens.

You can never please us, Atlus. Unless... more stupid costumes please. Thank you.

---

Disregarding Pancake-Sans weird adventures in Persona 5 Royal, this sounds like a good change and I'm happy the localisation team stepped up if no one else did.

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
At first I was happy to hear this but upon reading what was said it seems like the scene will still be there in all regions but when localized the dialogue will be altered. Not good enough. Try harder Atlus.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I do wonder if they will end up changing some of the story elements for P5 Royal that may or may not be problematic for the US Release

Massive Spoilers for P5 Royal.

They may or may not change/alter some things in the localization that are very explicit in the Japanese Version. In the Japanese Version, Akechi's Mother is a sex worker explaining what happened with Shido

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But will the NEW problematic content be altered?

Yeah probably only tweaked.

It's like Catherine Full Body - they can try to massage the script but they get handed a package from Japan and said "bring this over." They're not exactly going to remove the aggressive effeminate men that harass Ryuji, they're going to make sure you know that THEY know it's weird

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Will be curious to see how much is actually changed. It doesn't sound like a drastic change, so I have my doubts. If it moves from, "Obviously messed up" to "Ambiguous, strange portrayal", that's not exactly the change I would have been looking for.

And if nothing about the original Japanese scene was altered, well, I guess I'd assume the wrong lessons were learned from this.

OP
OP
DNAbro

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if they will end up changing some of the story elements for P5 Royal that may or may not be problematic for the US Release

They may or may not change/alter some things in the localization that are very explicit in the Japanese Version. In the Japanese Version, Akechi's Mother is a sex worker explaining what happened with Shido

I doubt they would change it.

At first I was happy to hear this but upon reading what was said it seems like the scene will still be there in all regions but when localized the dialogue will be altered. Not good enough. Try harder Atlus.

That's why I wrote mitigated rather than fixed or removed. It's a step in a good direction.

May 15, 2019
Can't you date the 8 year old prison guards in Royal? Seems like the homophobia is the least of that game's problems.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure why they'd change that. It's not like Persona hasn't dealt with dark moments.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This is good but it shouldn't be left up to the translation teams to make this change. The original dev team should have modified the script. Still, this is at least better than nothing.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Already seeing idiots saying they aren't buying because "censorship" of a total of 2 minutes of scenes from the game that were completely irrelevant and those same people never bat an eye at

Can't you date the 8 year old prison guards in Royal? Seems like the homophobia is the least of that game's problems.

t
here's no actual dating. But you do get to show them around the human society and places.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That read like they're going to make them in to otaku or trainspotters, and possibly not gay at all? Predatory stereotypes are bad, but erasure isn't much better.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of how NISA prettied up Momota's character for western audiences; Like, it's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that the original text is extremely problematic and gross.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear. We'll see how much the changes actually improve the scenes, but I'm glad they were given a little freedom.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
On one hand, this is obviously a good move (the content was terrible).

On the other hand, this doesn't actually fix the content in the first place, nor what led to this. There's more chances the next games with problematic content will just have the localization remove/neuter it rather than the dev team thinking about it and wondering if what they're doing is a good idea.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't think this is a good thing.

Hiding the problematic content but not changing it at its source doesn't really sit right with me.
It's like papering over a crack in the wall.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was just generally more of a toxmasc asshole, but there were some more noticeable changes like when he called Shinguji an okama (used in the pejorative/as a slur) for talking slightly feminine.
Huh. Didn't know about this. I think they did a good job because I never picked up on this while playing.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
lol there's already a censorship comment on the article.

"If they're changing this, who knows what ELSE they might have censored!"

Go play the original or something, damn.

Nov 23, 2017
I would prefer it if the scene wasn't there rather than just lying to us and telling us they're saying something different than what they are. But I'll take this I guess.

It's like if you went to a different county with a friend who spoke the language and someone called you a racist term and your friend told you they said hi.
This is not a good way to look at localization for games at all. The point is actually to not necessarily translate things directly.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's a start, but wasn't there a whole lot that was problematic beyond that one scene - including content they added for the Royal edition?
The real problem lies at the source rather than the translation, but I'm glad they were at least able to do something.

Unfortunately this feels like it was inevitable.
Atlus has never been open to expanding their audience by making sensible business decisions; releasing on current/popular platforms, doing multi-platform releases for games (or even just sticking to one platform), worldwide launches, allowing people to stream the game etc.
So they seem to have gone down the route of cultivating a small but hardcore audience that buys everything they do, and pandering to them with that disgusting otaku fanservice.

They make great turn-based battle systems, but I'm increasingly turned away from everything else about their games - and it makes them difficult to recommend.
I've been playing through Soul Hackers on 3DS on-and-off again for probably a year now, and I've been really liking the gameplay, music, and its '90s cyberpunk aesthetic. But I don't feel comfortable recommending the game because I haven't seen all of the content and maybe there's some really bad stuff in there which I didn't get to yet (though 'old' Atlus generally seems to be better about this than 'new' Atlus).

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I am not familiar with Japan but I'm guessing these type of scenes are (unfortunately) considered normal there and/or is not seen as being an issue? I grew up in the Philippines and I admit that this somewhat made me ignorant to such issues in the past (for example, I could play such games before and not see what the issue was) but I've come to understand why such representations are unnecessary and can be harmful.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am not familiar with Japan but I'm guessing these type of scenes are (unfortunately) considered normal there and/or is not seen as being an issue? I grew up in the Philippines and I admit that this somewhat made me ignorant to such issues in the past (for example, I could play such games before and not see what the issue was) but I've come to understand why such representations are unnecessary and can be harmful.
It basically says "Japan is ok with homophobic content so leave it in, but we gotta change it for those sensitive Westerners".
Fucking ridic.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe the unlocalized version has this shit. It was so embarassing to have this in the original.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This is not a good way to look at localization for games at all. The point is actually to not necessarily translate things directly.

Removing homophobic scenes should not be on the localization team. It doesn't have to do with dealing with cultural specific things like idioms or references and more to do with tolerance. Atlus has done this over and over with homophobic and transphobic scenes in their games. Whether it's Persona or Catherine.