• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's hard to definitively say what the authorities are up to without details (he could be on the run) so I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

But as for the PTs accepting him for being a literal serial killer... It's not the best writing no, nor is it remotely grounded, but it's satisfying to work with a former enemy for a common goal, especially when the original game killed him off in such a cheap and satisfying way. At the very least, Joker has a proper connection with him now.
I really disagree with that. I've had a lot of issues with Japanese writing and
trying to redeem clearly to far gone villains. To have akechi just show all his true colors and die there was super satisfying

Its honestly the main reason I liked Akechi's character in vanilla. He had subverted every expectation I have for Japanese writing.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
You: Everything seemed great until Akechi being a party member ruined it.

Me: They need him to save the world so put aside your petty grievance about the writing

Bunch of people: Oh so now you think murder is petty?!?

Miles Edgeworth is fucking awesome, what kind of a response is this / trapping people in "gotcha's" is kind of gross
You don't need to be BFFs with a fucking douche like Akechi even if you need him. It's just so poorly done.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
More party members = better isn't my point though
if there were some sort of specific problem that only he could solve (especially outside of the metaverse/something using his detective skills), that would feel somewhat logical. what you're describing is still adding him on the generic logic that adding *anyone* to your party is a good idea

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So on one hand we have an exciting new trimester but on the other we have Akechi back in our team.

tenor.gif

Honestly not sure the former is worth the latter. Guess I'll wait until the conclusion.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if there were some sort of specific problem that only he could solve (especially outside of the metaverse/something using his detective skills), that would feel somewhat logical. what you're describing is still adding him on the generic logic that adding *anyone* to your party is a good idea

Except we're talking someone who was strong enough to take on the entire party and has the power of the wildcard.

Preventing him from joining the group is idiotic.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Putting him jail BEFORE he can help them save the world is the definition of petty.

Due process can wait ffs

do they just not do bond/bail procedures over in Japan or can you seriously just be like "well, can't confess to the multiple murders I did just yet, gotta fight demons, I'll totally come back later tho, I promise"

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
What's the verdict from those who played the original vs Royal? I guess I'll double dip, but I want to know how game changing the new features are. The game felt like a slug to be honest, so I hope the new stuff helps with pacing.

SnowBird

Jan 26, 2019
can anyone kindly spoil the 3rd semester what happens?

also some questions lingering...

- Any new romance scenes?

- Any new scenes with the male case (like Ryuji and Yusuke) where we can hang out and increase our bonds and stuff? Really like the bro game and I would love to hear any new scenes being implemented.

- Any info on any new voicework that is added to make the confidant thing more immersive? Or still grunts and ahs and hehs during most of conifidant?

- Any SUBSTANTIAL INCREASE in events/dialogue/activities which make the crew hang out together more as I felt the original cast in P5 felt very detached and not enough group screentime - look at how much fun the cast had in P4Golden and P3P.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do they just not do bond/bail procedures over in Japan or can you seriously just be like "well, can't confess to the multiple murders I did just yet, gotta fight demons, I'll totally come back later tho, I promise"

At least wait for the full context before busting out the snark...

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw this post:

And the TL;DR they said was that there is no reason why this couldn't have been DLC for the base game and it changes far less then they made it seem and all of the big stuff is all is the far back end.

I haven't been able to catch up with everything in this thread but is this true.
That thread is super wrong about the end of the game, but definitely right about everything up until then. Royal definitely fails in what I epxected most, a Golden like increase to everything happening within the main confines of the game. There is VERY VERY little changes during the vanilla portion of the game, and thats super disappointing. Add to that
Kasumi not even joining until after you beat Vanilla
and I've changed my mind on my original thoughts that this made sense as standalone. If this was more like Golden as I expected, a standalone release made sense, but this feels more like FES than Golden.

Its not all bad, but theres definitely disappointment to be had, especially from those expecting something Golden-like.

EDIT: I should clarify though, the new post game stuff certainly looks better than The Answer

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
At least wait for the full context before busting out the snark...

Sure, the full context is going to make this a 180 turn despite how Atlus already did this exact same situation in a vastly better way literally in the previous Persona game

No matter what anyone says about Adachi, even after the crap that happened with Kagatsuchi, at no point did Adachi ever believe he should be free after his defeat by the investigation team, and he actively made fun of people who believed he garnered undue sympathy despite his crimes

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Bascially:

"It was revealed that Kasumi was the "sister" who died in the accident and not Sumire. The sisters were talented gymnasts, although Kasumi was better at it, so Sumire became jealous and suicidal. A month prior to the protagonist's arrival to LeBlanc, she attempts to commit suicide by crashing into a car. Kasumi saw Sumire about to be ran over by traffic and took her place to be the victim. During the day where Sumire enrolled into Shujin, she met Takuto and revealed to him that she wanted to live Kasumi's life, allowing Sumire to become Kasumi via cognitive manipulation. As Kasumi, Sumire gains her talents and basically became Kasumi in terms of personality and appearance. Takuto then will use his powers to understand people's desires and grant them all accordingly. "

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, the full context is going to make this a 180 turn despite how Atlus already did this exact same situation in a vastly better way literally in the previous Persona game

The full context about why the police haven't arrested him. You know, the reason why your snark about him not being in jail feeling premature?

No matter what anyone says about Adachi, even after the crap that happened with Kagatsuchi, at no point did Adachi ever believe he should be free after his defeat by the investigation team, and he actively made fun of people who believed he garnered undue sympathy despite his crimes
[/QUOTE]

The entire Adachi scenario was literally written by a fanboy who did their best to make him look as cool and badass as possible. He gets beat up by an ugly dirty cop and Dojima reprimands said cop. He also visits Adachi and they both look incredibly happy to see each other. Adachi even admits to feeling content in his jail cell. It's... Really bad, lol.

Not sure what you're trying to get at either. Goro also wants to be punished for his crime. Hell, he's doing the same exact thing Adachi was doing in P4AU! Hauling ass to defeat a greater threat.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

and thought it was weird he suddenly got let go

we know he got let go because of the draem world thing but it's still unclear why he hasn't return.

but as far we know now neither does akechi think he's absolved of what he did and should be free. it wasn't even the PT team that put him in jail, he willingly went himself

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
It has been confirmed that Joker's new Ultimate Persona is locked behind a DLC paywall.

personacentral.com

Persona 5 Royal Japanese DLC Schedule - Persona Central

An overview of all the downloadable content (DLC) releasing for the Japanese version of Persona 5 Royal, from costumes to personas.

If anything, seeing people defend this release for the next few months will be hilarious.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that this feels more like a FES type update rather than a Golden type update (though this is easily better than the Answer lol). My expectations were low but even I didn't think they'd change so little to the main game.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It has been confirmed that Joker's new Ultimate Persona is locked behind a DLC paywall.

personacentral.com

An overview of all the downloadable content (DLC) releasing for the Japanese version of Persona 5 Royal, from costumes to personas.

If anything, seeing people defend this release for the next few months will be hilarious.
I don't even hate not having access to it in the main game (whatever), but the idea that the *only* way to access this Persona is to break the entire game from day one with a postgame-level Persona unlock is very silly.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
I'm curious

Is Akechi actually alive at the end of the dream world stuff or does he just come back some how. Is Kazumi/Sumire there at the end either as phantom thieves? I just wanna know if all this extra stuff actually has weight or if both those characters ghost at the end

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'm curious

Is Akechi actually alive at the end of the dream world stuff or does he just come back some how. Is Kazumi/Sumire there at the end either as phantom thieves? I just wanna know if all this extra stuff actually has weight or if both those characters ghost at the end
Both are alive. They have escaped the dream world and are fighting Takuto

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks for the clarification, I have one more question.

So are they after the final confrontation? They actually exist after the events of hte plot and don't just go away? I'm just curious if they are locked away in this or not.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Thanks for the clarification, I have one more question.

So are they after the final confrontation? They actually exist after the events of hte plot and don't just go away? I'm just curious if they are locked away in this or not.
Yes this is after the final boss of P5 though the streamer hasn't gotten to P5R's ending

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
Appreciate it. I'll check back after a few days to see more. Is there an option to skip to the new content?

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
The full context about why the police haven't arrested him. You know, the reason why your snark about him not being in jail feeling premature?

Actually, no. And that is because there's not much wiggle room around immediately going to the police and being like "I committed these murders," unless he actually is out on some kind of bond and is trying to atone with what limited time he has left in his own way. Which... is what I said in the first place.

There is a non-zero chance they can explain all of this in a perfect, satisfying manner. For instance, the difficulty in the police being able to factually connect the dots in a mostly paranormal circumstance is something that P4 also tries to address. But given the writing so far, I do not think it is very likely.

The entire Adachi scenario was literally written by a fanboy who did their best to make him look as cool and badass as possible. He gets beat up by an ugly dirty cop and Dojima reprimands said cop. He also visits Adachi and they both look incredibly happy to see each other. Adachi even admits to feeling content in his jail cell. It's... Really bad, lol.

Not sure what you're trying to get at either. Goro also wants to be punished for his crime. Hell, he's doing the same exact thing Adachi was doing in P4AU! Hauling ass to defeat a greater threat.

I dunno that starting out with "his scenario was written by a fanboy!! is really a good look, but the dynamic is different because Dojima literally worked as his direct supervisor in a full time+ position for at least a year, and seemed to have been completely blindsided by Adachi's nature even in vanilla P4, while also expressing some muted sympathy there.

For Akechi, yeah, he very well may want to the atone. The sheer fact that he's not in jail is a big red flag, but sure, whatever. But the reason you're bumping heads with so many people in this topic about Akechi in general is that there is a vast difference in how they're handling this in general. Like, you don't see the P4 crew adding Adach to their group chat and shit. And Akechi literally murdered the parents of two of the PT members.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like i'll be sticking to vanilla P5. I was holding off on my second playthrough, and getting the platinum since I knew a new version had to be coming eventually.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

personacentral.com

Holy fuck I didn't realize how much DLC there would be in Royal.

Why the hell is this paid DLC and not just included in the game? Like I could get if maybe this stuff was coming to the base game awhile after launch but this is Royal which is already another $60 on it's own...

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think some of you are forgetting just how little FES actually changed in the main game

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of you are forgetting just how little FES actually changed in the main game

Dunno what you're talking about. The FES-specific ability to take koromaru out for a walk is clearly superior to all the changes in P5 Royal during the vanilla content.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, no. And that is because there's not much wiggle room around immediately going to the police and being like "I committed these murders," unless he actually is out on some kind of bond and is trying to atone with what limited time he has left in his own way. Which... is what I said in the first place.

The wiggle room is

"We were all sucked into a dream dimension and in said dream dimension i'm out of prison." It isn't clear if they ever left it, hence why I stressed the importance of context.

I dunno that starting out with "his scenario was written by a fanboy!! is really a good look, but the dynamic is different because Dojima literally worked as his direct supervisor in a full time+ position for at least a year, and seemed to have been completely blindsided by Adachi's nature even in vanilla P4, while also expressing some muted sympathy there.

For Akechi, yeah, he very well may want to the atone. The sheer fact that he's not in jail is a big red flag, but sure, whatever. But the reason you're bumping heads with so many people in this topic about Akechi in general is that there is a vast difference in how they're handling this in general. Like, you don't see the P4 crew adding Adach to their group chat and shit. And Akechi literally murdered the parents of two of the PT members.

I don't just mean fanboy in a dismissive way, I mean it in a literal way. The scenario was written by a self-admitted Adachi fanboy, and it's extremely evident in how he's treated in the story.

I get that Dojima and Adachi have a connection, but the way they convey it in Ultimax is way too saccharine. I mean look at this art when they reunite: Meeting https://imgur.com/a/5xmRYjB

It comes across like they're bffs reuniting for the first time it's ridiculous. And his entire scenario runs on that. Yosuke is annoyed at him and not hostile towards the guy who killed the girl he liked, Yu regards him with respect and in general he's portrayed as someone who's too cool for school. In that respect, he's not all that much different from Goro.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
The wiggle room is

"We were all sucked into a dream dimension and in said dream dimension i'm out of prison." It isn't clear if they ever left it, hence why I stressed the importance of context.

I agree with you that this may be the case, but it's kind of shitty you are telling people to wait for context when you informed me a few hours ago they
had definitely left out the dream thing and this Akechi is definitely real because of it
and now you edited it out and saying it is "unclear". Practise what you preach, man.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017

personacentral.com

I'm double dipping because I love the gameplay I'm seeing but it absolutely is a ripoff of my money, no doubt.

Feb 21, 2019
I would have loved to have played this, but Im not running through another 100 hours. Sorry Atlus.

I would have paid 30 bucks to pay this as DLC though. NO question.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you that this may be the case, but it's kind of shitty you are telling people to wait for context when you informed me a few hours ago they
had definitely left out the dream thing and this Akechi is definitely real because of it
and now you edited it out and saying it is "unclear". Practise what you preach, man.

I won't deny I played things fast and loose with information due to excitement. But I never made arguments that were literally 100% dependant on context.

Context matters when saying stuff like "The police let him go" and using it to support your argument.

How is that remotely comparable to me saying Goro is real instead of a cognition? Or that they left the dream world? I still definitely think Goro is real. It's just unclear if all of society is in the dream world or if Maruki retreated entirely. Either way, it's notable that the police aren't after him.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
It's looking like its for the third semester dungeon only
If this is true... There's no excuse Royal not to be DLC. I thought they were addressing weaker plot points like Haru/Hawaii trip/summer festival, almost like reimagining parts of the game, somehow excusing a second re-release of the game, but nope, they're going the Golden road adding unneeded story that nobody asked for in a form of a new girl. I should be used by now, I know, but I'm still disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
Looks better than the Answer at least.

So is my boy Nyarlathotep back or was that just speculation? I find it hard to believe that Atlus remembers P1/2

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I'm double dipping because I love the gameplay I'm seeing but it absolutely is a ripoff of my money, no doubt.
Man, the stuff that was DLC in P5 is still DLC in Royal. Thought it'd be more generous since it's been 3 years but guess it's money on the table.

Like, the casual and swimwear outfits already shown in the game are "free" but it's just to get the player into the DLC page to see the money making DLC. Could've just been an option to switch into outfits in the game but instead it's gateway DLC. Business as usual.