• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's clear that, like the fan base, those who worked on Persona 5's localization felt some type of way about it, too. Namba told me, "Our team members felt a little bit of awkwardness about when working on it," with regards to those moments in the original release. He also said it was no easy task to get the green light to make changes.

Someone on that team FUCKING LOVES gay jokes. Fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES them.

Also I don't believe him.

Catherine Full Body taught me not to trust these people at face value.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Someone on that team FUCKING LOVES gay jokes. Fucking LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVES them.

Also I don't believe him.
Yeah, Hashino. He's a raging bigot.
www.resetera.com

The Phobic Crimes of Katsura Hashino (Director/Producer, ATLUS)

WHAT IS THIS? It was suggested by several members in the ongoing thread about the Catherine: Full Body scandal (see below) that a "megathread" be created about the man responsible, Katsura Hashino. The purpose of said thread would be to educate Era users about his views, works, and the...

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Glad they removed it. I didnt think it was as egregious as some in this forum say, or as bad as Catherine Full Body, but now they can stop pretending they hate the game just for that. Let Persona 5 into your hearts and homes everyone

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Some executive decisions would ideally appeal to the jp team but i don't think that's happening any time soon unless Sega goes and does it for them. Writing around the problem will be the best the localizer team can do in this situation, and with Catherine full body not getting there, perhaps some better efforts can be made here. It's still mostly on the Persona studio to actually do something or listen at the very least, but if the complaints don't come from their own region it seems it will take some time.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Previews sound good and the localization changes are great news. It's been 3 years so I'm ready to revisit the game, really looking forward to seeing all the changes and additions.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1000 times cooler than Ren. But this seems to be a trend, as Soji Seta was cooler than Yu Narukami.
Well you're getting an Akira in Scramble at least.
latest

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Further confirmation that all of the gameplay stations defaulted to Ren Amamiya.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea that Atlas US was trying to change the dialogue around those scenes in this game, that's mega-dope. Really love that. Can't wait for this game.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty surprised they're doing anything about those two scenes. It's a small step, but at least its in the right direction.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Maybe Atlus should set a canon name for the protagonist of Persona 6 to prevent this from happening. Especially if they're going to be using those canon names in the spin-off media.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, Hashino. He's a raging bigot.
www.resetera.com

The Phobic Crimes of Katsura Hashino (Director/Producer, ATLUS)

WHAT IS THIS? It was suggested by several members in the ongoing thread about the Catherine: Full Body scandal (see below) that a "megathread" be created about the man responsible, Katsura Hashino. The purpose of said thread would be to educate Era users about his views, works, and the...

Absolutely, but he isn't the only person who writes for Persona, and he wasn't even involved with 5 Royal - the message saying it was hard to green light changes implies there are more than just him at Atlus gleefully defensive of their shit homophobic jokes. It feels more cultural than just Hashino, especially granted it was still in Royal, and I don't expect it to get any better from the JP side just because Hashino isn't involved anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Absolutely, but he isn't the only person who writes for Persona, and he wasn't even involved with 5 Royal - the message saying it was hard to green light changes implies there are more than just him at Atlus gleefully defensive of their shit homophobic jokes. It feels more cultural than just Hashino, especially granted it was still in Royal, and I don't expect it to get any better from the JP side just because Hashino isn't involved anymore.

My understanding is this comes back around to them not wanting to mess with the original content too much as a sign of respect (no matter how misplaced) to the original team. that's my understanding why they don't really reference Persona and Persona 2 that much in the larger cannon. Proof will be in the pudding with future games (so far P3D, P4D, and PQ2 are better).

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear the localization team addressed the issue as best they could (given what ATLUS-JP gave them). I'll pick it up, if only to have a slightly less homophobic version of what is otherwise my favorite game of 2017.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
You should see the comments on the GameXplain video lol

I hate Gamers™

Love after watching the Gamexplain video on it Youtube decides I want to blame SJWs and that fact that ResetEra is too powerful and we caused it to be "censored". Any ways, those fucks can eat shit. Transparent as hell and exactly as I said, this is pure content for these dumbass youtube reactionaries who don't contribute anything to the world.

Jun 11, 2019
Love after watching the Gamexplain video on it Youtube decides I want to blame SJWs and that fact that ResetEra is too powerful and we caused it to be "censored". Any ways, those fucks can eat shit. Transparent as hell and exactly as I said, this is pure content for these dumbass youtube reactionaries who don't contribute anything to the world.
It's pretty funny to see cause they're pissed off that some shitty joke is gonna get altered and crying foul about how the game is "marred by censorship" but they're probably gonna buy it anyway

They're losers lmfao

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

Just saw that thumbnail and I couldn't help but laugh and select "don't show me videos from this channel".

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Weren't they going to streamline some of the extra days or fluff between palaces? I remember that being a good incentive to want to play again.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't they going to streamline some of the extra days or fluff between palaces? I remember that being a good incentive to want to play again.
There are QoL changes that make it easier to increase stats and such. For instance where you would normally be told to go to bed by Morgana you can now still do things around Leblanc.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
1000 times cooler than Ren. But this seems to be a trend, as Soji Seta was cooler than Yu Narukami.
And that's why it probably shouldn't be Akira; it's practically "Killer Killer". It's so over-the-top edgy, it's like a kid moving to a new school and giving themselves a badass nickname to reinvent themselves.

"Back in the city I was called Neil, but now I'm Bloodsoak McAngelSlaughter III."

Oct 26, 2017
Sadly they would have to do a complete re-write to sort the issues I had with the game.
Almost very female character exists as a waifu character, they totally doubled down on that from the previous game and the writing takes a big hit be cause of it.
It's so tone deaf to have one of the early themes of the game being a male teacher sexually abusing a student bu then later on have the protagonist be able to date his fucking female teacher.
The Futaba one is pretty disturbing too, it's basically grooming a younger girl and really leans into the neckbeard obsession with finding younger, inexperienced women/girls.
The doctor was less problematic but really made no sense to me, why on earth would this woman be interested in dating a high school student? But of course, imagine the outrage if the sexy goth character wasn't dateable.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly they would have to do a complete re-write to sort the issues I had with the game.
Almost very female character exists as a waifu character, they totally doubled down on that from the previous game and the writing takes a big hit be cause of it.
It's so tone deaf to have one of the early themes of the game being a male teacher sexually abusing a student bu then later on have the protagonist be able to date his fucking female teacher.
The Futaba one is pretty disturbing too, it's basically grooming a younger girl and really leans into the neckbeard obsession with finding younger, inexperienced women/girls.
The doctor was less problematic but really made no sense to me, why on earth would this woman be interested in dating a high school student? But of course, imagine the outrage if the sexy goth character wasn't dateable.

Don't forget about the fact that said teacher essentially moonlights as a prostitute outside of school and you 'befriend' her by having her come to your house at night.

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget about the fact that said teacher essentially moonlights as a prostitute outside of school and you 'befriend' her by having her come to your house at night.
The funny thing is that I (naively) thought there was gonna be a decent resolution to that, like they were making some social commentary on women in Japan being forced into difficult positions.
I didn't even know that her, Futaba and Tae Takemi were even datable characters because it just makes no sense, I assumed that any flirtatious dialogue options with them would count as bad choices. It's hilarious how much faith I had in the writing going into the game.
The whole thing felt that they'd written a good script with some interesting social issues, then they did a second pass to add in all the stuff for the basement dweller crowd.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that I (naively) thought there was gonna be a decent resolution to that, like they were making some social commentary on women in Japan being forced into difficult positions.
I didn't even know that her, Futaba and Tae Takemi were even datable characters because it just makes no sense, I assumed that any flirtatious dialogue options with them would count as bad choices. It's hilarious how much faith I had in the writing going into the game.
The whole thing felt that they'd written a good script with some interesting social issues, then they did a second pass to add in all the stuff for the basement dweller crowd.

I think they were lost the second they had "shitty adults" as the driving force behind the script. They could've told a story about expectation and societal pressure and inequality but in execution, it wound up basically just being a bunch of immature brats yelling "take that" at a world they have no understanding of.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they were lost the second they had "shitty adults" as the driving force behind the script. They could've told a story about expectation and societal pressure and inequality but in execution, it wound up basically just being a bunch of immature brats yelling "take that" at a world they have no understanding of.
Yeah they should have just reasoned with the rapist, mob boss, abusive fathers, and such.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is this comes back around to them not wanting to mess with the original content too much as a sign of respect (no matter how misplaced) to the original team. that's my understanding why they don't really reference Persona and Persona 2 that much in the larger cannon. Proof will be in the pudding with future games (so far P3D, P4D, and PQ2 are better).

I mean the proof was in the pudding with Catherine Full Body. Hashino wasn't really involved in that either and they doubled down on that. It's not just Hashino -- it's obvious it goes beyond him and that there is a really bigoted culture to some lesser or greater degree at Atlus, at the very least within the writing staff, and probably fostered in part by Hashino's "leadership".

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
The topic says "western" localization but unless I'm missing something we only know about the english version. What about the other western language subtitles? Will they follow the same localization choices made by the US team?

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I mean the proof was in the pudding with Catherine Full Body. Hashino wasn't really involved in that either and they doubled down on that. It's not just Hashino -- it's obvious it goes beyond him and that there is a really bigoted culture to some lesser or greater degree at Atlus, at the very least within the writing staff, and probably fostered in part by Hashino's "leadership".

But wasn't that developed at Studio 0 with him at the helm?

Kurisu

Mar 10, 2018
What's the point though? That scene still exist in the Japanese version. This is just censorship

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point though? That scene still exist in the Japanese version. This is just censorship
Probably because atlus Japan wouldn't retool it for them and this is the only option they had to make it less offensive. Also what's wrong with removing content that is universally offensive?