• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I thought this was fascinating. The second volume of a series of fan books came out and included the results of some surveys gaging players favorite moments(from a certain period of the game as there doing these in parts.) characters, confidants, play styles, etc.

Respondent Statistics
# of respondents:
  • Japan: 641
  • Overseas*: 1897
*Refers to users who played the English localized version of Persona 5 (North America, etc.)

Respondent Genders
Japan:

• Female – 76%
  • Male – 24%
Overseas:
  • Female – 24%
  • Male – 74%
  • Other – 2%
Respondent Ages
Japan:

• 19 and under – 24%
  • 20-29 – 58%
  • 30-39 – 16%
  • 40 and above – 2%
Overseas:
  • 19 and under – 38%
  • 20-29 – 51%
  • 30-39 – 9%
  • 40 and above – 2%

The ones I find most interesting are the character results.
Character Popularity Poll
Who was your favorite main character?
Japan:

1. Protagonist (148 pt)
  2. Yusuke Kitagawa (131 pt)
  3. Futaba Sakura (105 pt)
  4. Ryuji Sakamoto (83 pt)
  5. Makoto Niijima (55 pt)
  6. Goro Akechi (41 pt)
  7. Morgana (37 pt)
  8. Ann Takamaki (29 pt)
  9. Haru Okumura (12 pt)
Overseas:
  1. Makoto Niijima (458 pt)
  2. Protagonist (381 pt)
  3. Futaba Sakura (242 pt)
  4. Yusuke Kitagawa (195 pt)
  5. Goro Akechi (192 pt)
  6. Ryuji Sakamoto (177 pt)
  7. Haru Okumura (119 pt)
  8. Ann Takamaki (94 pt)
  9. Morgana (39 pt)
Who was your favorite confidant?
Japan:

1. Sojiro Sakura (149 pt)
  2. Tae Takemi (109 pt)
  3. Toranosuke Yoshida (88 pt)
  4. Sadayo Kawakami (53 pt)
  5. Yuuki Mishima (47 pt)
  6. Sae Niijima (46 pt)
  7. Shinya Oda (43 pt)
  8. Caroline & Justine (38 pt)
  9. Munehisa Iwai (32 pt)
  10. Hifumi Togo (17 pt)
  11. Chihaya Mifune (9 pt)
  12. Igor (6 pt)
  13. Ichiko Ohya (4 pt)
Overseas:
  1. Sadayo Kawakami (387 pt)
  2. Sojiro Sakura (376 pt)
  3. Tae Takemi (241 pt)
  4. Hifumi Togo (239 pt)
  5. Toranosuke Yoshida (133 pt)
  6. Caroline & Justine (107 pt)
  7. Munehisa Iwai (102 pt)
  8. Yuuki Mishima (96 pt)
  9. Sae Niijima (86 pt)
  10. Igor (46 pt)
  11. Shinya Oda (33 pt)
  12. Chihaya Mifune (29 pt)
  13. Ichiko Ohya (22 pt)

I just find stuff like this really cool. More survey results and I got over at Persona Central.

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-poll-characters-memorable-scenes-mementos-reports-vol-2/

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That Japanese demographic breakdown is bizarre. Is Persona that popular with females in Japan or is this survey just off and didn't get enough male respondents for whatever reason?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
That Japanese demographic is bizarre. Is Persona that popular with females in Japan or is this survey just off and didn't get enough male respondents for whatever reason?
Persona is extremely popular with women in Japan, which is why characters like Akechi and Adachi get so much push from Atlus. In general, Persona remains popular with women and the LGBTQ community globally.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Poor Ann. At least Takemi got represented. Japan knows what to do with Haru.

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding myself agreeing a lot more with the Japan list. If we're being honest, I thought Makoto's social link was awfully bland.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Chihaya and Ohya didn't catch a break anywhere, lol. No surprise

With Japanese demographics like that, I feel like same sex romantic social links should be a lock. Give the fujoshi (and everyone else) what they want

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
That Japanese demographic breakdown is bizarre. Is Persona that popular with females in Japan or is this survey just off and didn't get enough male respondents for whatever reason?
It's quite common for a lot of series. Tales of, Gundam, etc in Japan a lot of similar polls are dominated by women in contrast to overseas.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Post I've made before:
Here are a few I've got, but a lot of these kinds of statements are from Famitsu or other Japanese media outlets, where they remark about how many women are at a Persona related event:
  • GSJ Persona 5 Premium Week: "As everyone rushed to their seats, it was hard not to notice the sheer amount of female fans that filled the audience along with a sea of Morgana memoribilia they carried."
  • P4D Demo Event: "The number of women at the venue also stood out."
  • P4AU Demo Event: "There were so many female customers that the reporter was a little surprised. With this being a fighting game, the reporter had assumed that most of the users would be men, but it does not seem like that. When they asked the person in charge about the audience for the previous game, "Persona 4 Arena," they said that they were almost all male. But now it seems that the number of female users has increased due to the influence of the anime and movies."
Stuff like that, though it's anecdotal, even if it adds up.

For actual stats, I don't think Atlus have put out their own numbers before, so we can just rely on 3rd parties. For a Dengeki PlayStation questionnaire, 43.5% of those who stated they would be buying Persona 5 were female.

From a Dengeki Online survey that was used for an Atlus backed book about Persona 5 called "Persona 5 Maniax," 51% of the 1,800 respondents were female.
Listen to the cheers for the tease of "that" character at 3:04:

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
Japan knows what's up here lol. I feel like the overseas one is just people picking their waifu

Oct 30, 2017
I will never understand Makoto's popularity. She barely has any character development and her personality is dry and boring lol

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I will never understand Makoto's popularity. She barely has any character development and her personality is dry and boring lol
Makoto is great, come on. Her social link is pretty bad but she gets some great moments in the story, plus she benefits from great design and a very cool Persona, as well as general all round effectiveness in battle.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makoto is a really good character with a really bad slink. I just wish her fanbase would calm down

MsMuerta

Nov 8, 2017
Chihaya and Ohya didn't catch a break anywhere, lol. No surprise

With Japanese demographics like that, I feel like same sex romantic social links should be a lock. Give the fujoshi (and everyone else) what they want

Judging by the new opening, I'd say Akechi has a high chance of becoming a romantic option.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Poor Haru. Royal better give her a lot more screentime. She deserves it.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Very lame they limited the "best moment" of the game to a certain timeframe.

Also I am fascinated how most fans outside of Japan are male but most in Japan are female. Makes we wonder why and how that happens.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Very lame they limited the "best moment" of the game to a certain timeframe.

Also I am fascinated how most fans outside of Japan are male but most in Japan are female. Makes we wonder why and how that happens.
This is volume 2 in a series of fanbooks. The first volume was from the beginning of the game to the end of the Kamoshida arc. They'll be covering the whole game that way.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Echoing the sentiment of poor Haru. :(

Still, good to see Futaba rank high in Japan.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Makoto, Futuaba, and Joker are some of my favorites, so it's nice to see them do well. And yes, poor Haru. She's a sweetheart.

I also found it really, really funny that 39% of players just romanced one love interest in Japan, and another 30% went, fuck it, I'm gonna romance everyone. The duality of human nature, lol. I was surprised that 69% of overseas players surveyed stuck to just the one love interest, wow. (I mean, I did, too. The power of Makoto.)

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
These results made me remember how bad the main cast was. In P3 and 4 was so hard to choose my favorite characters, but in P5 only Makoto and Futaba were good.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite male tops the Japanese poll

My favorite female tops the overseas poll

I'm content

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Makoto has the personality of sliced turkey. I don't know why the west loves her so much. I'm surprised Ryuji charted at all.

Yusuke is awesome.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Kind of where I'm at a bit. Doesn't help that I remember her immediately shutting you down if you try to start her social link with less than 3 knowledge or god forbid you're not charming enough to play pretend boy friend with her. Never really got the popularity, tho she is a great party member.