• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
And here I was with a sealed copy of 4 just sitting in my backlog and recently bought 5 because I've been feeling like giving this series a shot. What timing.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
These comments are giving me some Final Fantasy 7-9 will never come to Nintendo vibes

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Royal has to come to Steam right? Steam already has Strikers and Golden did big numbers when it released on Steam a few years ago. The only reason it wouldn't is if Microsoft has a deal with ATLUS

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
Stuff like this really makes me wonder what goes into deals like this. Considering P4G is already available on Steam and they just recently put out a remaster of P4A you would think they would kick this off with P4G and have it launch sometime this week following this announcement.

That way you get something out quickly with this announcement that capitalizes on the excitement for the announcement, it's a game that plays into other recent Atlus releases (the aforementioned P4A remaster), and you build to the releases people are more excited for. Not that there aren't still plenty of people excited for P4G coming to platforms other than Steam but P3P and P5R are more exciting as they've never left PlayStation platforms (and P5R is still a fairly new-ish game) so you want to build to those but since the Steam version of P4G exists it makes sense to get it out first as it would presumably require the least amount of work to get it out on other platforms. I really don't get how at least the Windows Store version of P4G isn't launching this week.
Apparently P4G and P3P are getting new translations in several languages. Those are not the same releases as the currently available P4G on Steam.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any details about what they might be doing to tidy up P3P?
Dual audio, higher resolution text, that sort of thing.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently P4G and P3P are getting new translations in several languages. Those are not the same releases as the currently available P4G on Steam.
Oh interesting. Wasn't aware of that.

Though I would imagine they could've still launched it and patched in the other languages when they're ready, no? I get that makes things messy but I would also imagine they're adding these language options to the Steam version of P4G as a free update, right? It seems weird that they wouldn't so they presumably will still be patching a version of the game so it doesn't actually makes things THAT messy. I guess it must just be simpler this way to launch all versions with all the language options at once but it seems wild to me that you wouldn't just launch the existing Steam version of P4G ASAP on other platforms and then patch in the language options and launch the game in other regions when they're ready.

I already have P4G on Steam so this doesn't really affect me but I would think they would want to more immediately capitalize on this announcement? Also it probably means P3P is going to launch fairly deep into 2023 as I suspect they're releasing in reverse order and I'd imagine they'll want to space out those releases.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I am so glad Persona is finally going to be experienced by more people. I really wanted it to come to PC (I just hope it'll release on Steam...)

Disappointed it's not FES for 3. I wanted a hybrid of both P3P and FES, but it seems Atlus won't play ball with that.

I am sooo stoked for P5R on PC. Please let this come out on steam too instead of MS store only!

Not sure why this isn't coming to PS though (P4G and P3P I mean). Persona is mostly on PS so not sure what happened there...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm keeping my expectations low here, though I'm already surprised they decided to do EFIGS localizations for the games that didn't already have it.
I wouldn't be shocked if that's largely it. Hopefully they'll attempt to clean up P3P visually. P3P on a Vita already looked kind of rough so blow that up on a 4k TV and that'll be rough.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Royal has to come to Steam right? Steam already has Strikers and Golden did big numbers when it released on Steam a few years ago. The only reason it wouldn't is if Microsoft has a deal with ATLUS

I will eat my hat if it doesn't. The internet will speculate until it is plainly stated, but if it wasn't coming to Steam then I have to imagine it would have been mentioned.

heehofiend

May 13, 2018
I am so glad Persona is finally going to be experienced by more people. I really wanted it to come to PC (I just hope it'll release on Steam...)

Disappointed it's not FES for 3. I wanted a hybrid of both P3P and FES, but it seems Atlus won't play ball with that.

I am sooo stoked for P5R on PC. Please let this come out on steam too instead of MS store only!

Not sure why this isn't coming to PS though (P4G and P3P I mean). Persona is mostly on PS so not sure what happened there...
I would've been fine if they had just ported both FES and P3P, I find it hard to believe that wouldn't be possible. i feel a hybrid would be so messy that it would get to the point they might as well remake the game entirely. You bring back the cutscenes from FES, but the FeMC doesn't have cutscenes. You bring back The Answer, but the FeMC would need to be added to her own variant of The Answer. Voicelines would need to be redone also for The Answer for the FeMC inclusion. The social links for FeMC would've needed to be redone to work outside the visual novel style. Plus they would've needed to give the FeMC a character model that would be higher polycount and match the other character models from the PS2 versions plus this may mean needing to redo some scenes.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna give a hot take here: I think P3P was the right choice. No matter which option they pick here, it sucks. P3P's presentation is without a doubt inferior, but I am curious to see it in at higher resolution. However it gains so much with that version. In a franchise where there's only one other game in it that you play as a woman, I think many people would be disappointed, specifically women, that they chose to go with the version where you can't play as a woman when that version does exist.

FES has it's perks but I have always taken issue with how frustrating the AI party members could be. Yes, I know the point is you're supposed to use the directions (attack, heal/support, etc.), but these could still be inconsistent. Did you know that if you have a party member on heal/support, and everyone is full health and they don't have any buffs to use, they attack? This actually can be a huge problem on the final boss. As to why you would have someone on that, it's preemptive, as you can only change the directions on the protagonist's turn.

There's a lot of content on the FeMC route that's not on the male protagonist's route, including entirely different social links. One of these in particular is a gross stinker (Ken), but the rest are decent to good. You don't get The Answer in P3P, and honestly that's not a loss. I would just watch the cutscenes on YouTube. It's a garbage story that's just all P3 randomly generated dungeon crawling. The characters act incredibly stupid and even ends with a "Oh no the bad guy you beat in the original game wasn't it, there's a badder guy you have to deal with now."

I 100% understand the disappointment with it not being FES, and even I wanted FES to a degree. It really sucks that there's no definitive version of the game. I think they made the right call here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Coming to xCloud seems like a really great move and may get me to try them out more often

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've played both and P3P is the right choice.
The only real loss, for me anyway, is not being able to walk around and explore (though the menu system is much faster). The cutscenes were never that great, IMO, and they'd need to make all new ones for FeMC.
The models were lower quality in Portable, right? I'd hope they'd swap in better ones, but maybe that's not within the project's scope.

It sucks that Persona 3 will seemingly never get the full remaster it deserves.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to have P3P and P4G on modern consoles. I thought P3P would get lost to history, so I was really surprised when that version was announced. The FeMC is fantastic, and has the best written social links in the series (sans Ken, which -- ick). I'll miss PE:FES presentation/cutscenes, though -- the animated cutscenes in particular were fantastic.

heehofiend

May 13, 2018
LMAO. I'm now more curious how the code got that bad/why they had to do that in the first place.

Does Nocturne have another version of the game that is arguably superior and likely easier to port though?
Even so, it shows they could've ported it and it just comes across as ignorance or cheapness for them to not port both since neither version is clearly superior to the other and P3P was heavily compromise due to PSP hardware and making that the primary version going forward in my eyes is a mistake especially if they aren't doing anything to make up for the fact it is no longer stuck on the PSP.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that this is all because I said I wanted the these games on the PC in that survey a month or so back. I will take my thanks in tens and twenties everyone.

Nov 1, 2021
User banned (1 day): Platform wars. Port begging. Account in junior phase.
Atlus is a fucking joke. How have they not ported a single fucking Persona game to the Switch? Not even Persona 3 or 4? They either hate money as much as Nintendo, or something else here, because Xbox doesn't even have a JRPG fanbase.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even so, it shows they could've ported it and it just comes across as ignorance or cheapness for them to not port both since neither version is clearly superior to the other and P3P was heavily compromise due to PSP hardware and making that the primary version going forward in my eyes is a mistake especially if they aren't doing anything to make up for the fact it is no longer stuck on the PSP.

I mean, they probably didn't think that many people would buy an FES port over a portable port, and given what we know about the FES codebase, portable was probably much easier to port.

I'd want them to make a full on remake of the game, but if they were to make a choice between the current two, it makes sense why'd they choose one over the other as the extra work to get the other would probably not be worth it (business wise)

Oct 27, 2017
I never played p3p. I'm fine with jt, kinda hope FES comes to ps classics but I doubt it even if it was on ps3. Would love to have both in any form on modern devices. Really wish p3 and p4 weren't 2023.

P4G at least there's no reason to not be out already how long can a port take lol

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

I will eat my hat if it doesn't. The internet will speculate until it is plainly stated, but if it wasn't coming to Steam then I have to imagine it would have been mentioned.
I can't imagine a scenario where these aren't on steam. Even time exclusivity would really surprise me. Obviously Sega has really fallen in love with game pass so if any company would agree to a timed exclusivity deal around this sort of thing it would be them but I don't know. Honestly, the fact that all of this stuff was announced on a weekend could be why they haven't followed up with announcing on other platforms or they could even wait to do that as we have over 3 months before the first of these announced games even launch.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I've played both and P3P is the right choice.
The only real loss, for me anyway, is not being able to walk around and explore (though the menu system is much faster). The cutscenes were never that great, IMO, and they'd need to make all new ones for FeMC.
The models were lower quality in Portable, right? I'd hope they'd swap in better ones, but maybe that's not within the project's scope.

It sucks that Persona 3 will seemingly never get the full remaster it deserves.

I wonder if the suicidal imagery is why it won't get remastered.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
Atlus is a fucking joke. How have they not ported a single fucking Persona game to the Switch? Not even Persona 3 or 4? They either hate money as much as Nintendo, or something else here, because Xbox doesn't even have a JRPG fanbase.

Plenty people here seem excited for the franchise to debut on Xbox so not sure if "not having a JRPG fanbase" is true?

Oct 27, 2017
So stoked! I beat P5 Strikers on Switch a few months ago and was really sad that I didn't have the opportunity to really get to know these characters better. This will be badass.