• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Stage builder looks very good! The persona stuff as well.

I understand the point of Mii costumes but I honestly don't care. I'd rather they worked on alternative costumes for the other fighters. There's plenty that can be done there.

Also wasn't there supposed to be 2 new modes as of the last direct? The sharing center (or whatever it's called) is nice but it's hardly worthy called a mode in 2019 (although as shit as Smash's online mode is, it's the first thing that actually looks up to date). Did they fail to finish that other mode or was it really just the sharing center?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was already so excited for Joker and super happy with the gameplay shown and then I saw that All Out Attack final smash, oh man!

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, I know nothing about Persona but both the character and the stage look really fun! Stage builder is ok and expected, but stage sharing is the true megaton. The people actually dedicated to make really, really good levels can now actually share them, and I can play them, so that's a win-win. Looking forward to seeing what the community creates :D

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be midnight in Tokyo in about seven hours I think?

Also I figure Aria of the Soul will turn Mementos blue and have it patterned after the Velvet Room.

Bummer that there's literally nothing from SMT in music, Spirits, or Mii costumes.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just watched the presentation. wow! joker looks really cool and the free content seem really substantial as well. i don't think i can make any good stages but can't wait to try other people's creations.

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if this was discussed but are we anticipating general balance with this patch? Buffs/nerds/tweaks to existing characters or just the new stuff? Never been a Persona fan but Joker does look interesting. And custom stages are awesome but I don't anticipate i'll Actually use them that often. Video editor is coolest new thing for me. Oh and I finally hit Elite smash with my first character tonight so pretty hype night!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Not sure if this was discussed but are we anticipating general balance with this patch? Buffs/nerds/tweaks to existing characters or just the new stuff? Never been a Persona fan but Joker does look interesting. And custom stages are awesome but I don't anticipate i'll Actually use them that often. Video editor is coolest new thing for me. Oh and I finally hit Elite smash with my first character tonight so pretty hype night!
They have officially confirmed that Version 3.0 will break compatibility with old replay data, which implies there will indeed be gameplay changes of some kind. That could just be bug fixes, but I think its safe to assume that there will also be balance updates as well (?)

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
1. While I did want Whims of Fate plus several others, and understand we can't have everything... I'm very disappointed I can't use Smash to revisit my primal enjoyment of making Joker "dance" while Ark is playing.

2. Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the Mementos theme is missing.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
As an aside, I hope they make some of the stages they showed off as examples available to download. I really want to try out that SMB3 stage, and the Arwing one. Regardless, I'm sure that people online will remake them before long.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
2. Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the Mementos theme is missing.

It is. Probably because it's frankly pretty dull. This stage isn't really Mementos anyway, as much as an abstract presentation of Persona 5's style with some trains. It's designed to shift between the P3 and P4 themes as well.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
That stage builder looks a definite improvement over U's, I wonder how limited object wise and the sharing is nice (though probably requires online).

Looking forward to playing Joker he does seem a bit OP atm though.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Joker looks really good. He reminded me of Bayonetta a bit, hope he is fun to play as.

I must I'm quite excited by the balance patches now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
1555463663767.png

It's Gruntilda. BANJO'S IN.

I happen to be playing on my 360 recently, which still is reppin' the Banjo-Tooie theme, so it's with some confidence I can say: If that's meant to be Grunty, it's a really bad rendition of her. Grunty has a pink/purple scarf, dammit!

I think it's just meant to be a generic witch.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
That stage builder looks a definite improvement over U's, I wonder how limited object wise and the sharing is nice (though probably requires online).

Looking forward to playing Joker he does seem a bit OP atm though.

I feel like him only having a tether recovery until the meter is charged (and then only having a real recovery for a limited time) could potentially really make Joker tricky to use well, and will definitely lessen his survivability

There's a reason they replaced all of the tether recoveries after Brawl

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
It is. Probably because it's frankly pretty dull. This stage isn't really Mementos anyway, as much as an abstract presentation of Persona 5's style with some trains. It's designed to shift between the P3 and P4 themes as well.
I actually like the Mementos theme in game, but it wouldn't make good stage music.
Simply as it is, I agree it's not a good choice (although I like it). But it could've got a remix and thematically made more sense than Beneath the Mask. Or give it the 50/50 mix treatment they like to do with some songs.

Still, if I could add only one more song it wouldn't be that one.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I like how flashy and stylish everything looks, Sakurai put so much love into this DLC, as expected!

That's a decent looking Stand Joker has.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
So much new content, this is awesome! I'll have to borrow my brother's copy of Persona 5, because I know nothing of it. :p

When will the Smash app release?

EDIT: I see that the existing Nintendo Switch app will be updated with this Smash stuff.

Also, the EU website says that Joker and the 3.0 update will arrive tomorrow, not today.

Last edited:

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So much new content, this is awesome! I'll have to borrow my brother's copy of Persona 5, because I know nothing of it. :p

When will the Smash app release?

EDIT: I see that the existing Nintendo Switch app will be updated with this Smash stuff.

Also, the EU website says that Joker and the 3.0 update will arrive tomorrow, not today.

Was hoping it be today :(

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is one limitation at least: You can see a "Four Players" icon on some of the stages in the Stage Selection. This properly means, that if you have to many elements in the stage, you only can play this stage with four players.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to see some more obscure IPs represented with custom stages. Uniracers and Panel de Pon stages please!

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Massive props to the devs for proving me wrong about Mementoes.

Basing it off the actual map screen and UI was a great move and the P3 and P4 variants are awesome.

It's a little weird seeing the characters without the cell shading though.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeeeeeeeeesssss

Still generic themes for stage builder, but it seems to have a lot more of the freedoms that I wanted regarding tile colours and such. Even allows for some dynamic movement not just limited to a few straight platforms. I already have some fun ideas I want to try and work out.

Looking forward what the dedicated creators will upload too. WiiU already had some amazing stuff for download with the pretty limited options it had.

Ohyeah, Joker looks neat too I guess :P

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Best stage builder so far, still think they could have given us access to a wider range of assets... we'll see I guess.