• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Hi,

It feels weird to post about this on RE, but I'm running out of options. I bought my Xbox One X early last year, and a couple of months in, I started having constant controller issues.

Every time I tried starting my Xbox (from sleep state) with my previously synced controller, the Xbox button would flash, and the Xbox would never wake up. The only way I can turn it on is to connect the controller to the Xbox with a USB cord and start. If I disconnect the cable, the controller falls out of sync again. The only way at that point I could sync the controllers is by restarting the Xbox.

This. Happens. Every. Single. Time.

It's happening to both my controllers. They're usually fully charged (tried rechargeable batteries and AA). I updated the controller firmware. I tried the power cycle trick that *every* clickbait article on the web is pushing. I can't seem to find anything on this other than those articles.

Which brings me to Xbox Support. I visited the "new and improved" site that is making a lot of promises. I searched the community boards with no luck. I also tried the useless virtual assistant who only recommends articles I've already read. At that point turned to the "contact us." Every combination of answers I gave on their form yielded a "Phone support is not available for this issue." Are you kidding me?

The only other method I haven't tried is "ask an Xbox gamer." Ugh. Thanks, but no thanks.

Now compare that to the Nintendo support experience I had last week. I was speaking to a live rep in less than a minute. But I digress.

So, TLDR:

1. Has anyone experienced the same controller issue? If so, what should I do?
  2. If support is the only option, how the hell do I get to a live person? Should I drive to a Microsoft store?!

Last edited:

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
To be honest, I've had similar issues but not every time. It happens once every 3 months where the system doesn't turn on with my controller and I have to physically press the X button on the console.

Also my controllers disconnect for a second every now and then... usually older controllers I bought in 2014/2015... but they connect back again, but as you can see playing online Rainbow Six or COD, and your controller disconnects even for a second is a huge deal.

So yes its an ongoing problem withe Xbox controllers, but I have not had any issues with my Xbox One X controller to do that. Although yes my system needs manual turn up and won't turn on from the controller every once in a while.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
If you haven't yet, try DMing their support account on Twitter. They helped me to set up service for my Xbox a few years ago.

LCNoir96

Aug 31, 2019
I had the same problem with my original Xbox one.
The console needs repaired/replaced. Support went out of their way to avoid repairing it.
Just go straight to support/ device services and arrange a repair.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same problem with my original Xbox one.
The console needs repaired/replaced. Support went out of their way to avoid repairing it.
Just go straight to support/ device services and arrange a repair.
Damn. Seriously? Giving how new the system is, and how the issue started happening a few months in, that sucks.

I'll try contacting their twitter.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Damn. Seriously? Giving how new the system is, and how the issue started happening a few months in, that sucks.

I'll try contacting their twitter.

Yep, has to be the console. I bought my X1X late Jan 2019 and have had 0 controller issues to date, whereas I used to have them every now and then on my OG X1.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My launch Xbox One S in 2016 had this exact issue too — the only way I could keep a controller connected was via wired connection, wireless could stay connected for 40 seconds tops and then would promptly desync.

No idea what causes it. I ended up taking it back and exchanging it, though it was a little tricky because the launch model S had a special hard drive size and came with a pack-in console stand.

Haven't had any issue with any other Xbox One — I've owned the launch model, the launch S, and a launch X. The launch S, the original one I bought, was the only one that had the issue but I can at least acknowledge that it CAN happen.

I do have occasional brief controller desyncs from time to time on Xbox but it feels like it happens maybe once every couple of months and it gets solved with a quick re-sync. Annoying, and does seem to happen with some regularity, but pretty infrequent.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Hi,

It feels weird to post about this on RE, but I'm running out of options. I bought my Xbox One X early last year, and a couple of months in, I started having constant controller issues.

Every time I tried starting my Xbox (from sleep state) with my previously synced controller, the Xbox button would flash, and the Xbox would never wake up. The only way I can turn it on is to connect the controller to the Xbox with a USB cord and start. If I disconnect the cable, the controller falls out of sync again. The only way at that point I could sync the controllers is by restarting the Xbox.

This. Happens. Every. Single. Time.

It's happening to both my controllers. They're usually fully charged (tried rechargeable batteries and AA). I updated the controller firmware. I tried the power cycle trick that *every* clickbait article on the web is pushing. I can't seem to find anything on this other than those articles.

Which brings me to Xbox Support. I visited the "new and improved" site that is making a lot of promises. I searched the community boards with no luck. I also tried the useless virtual assistant who only recommends articles I've already read. At that point turned to the "contact us." Every combination of answers I gave on their form yielded a "Phone support is not available for this issue." Are you kidding me?

The only other method I haven't tried is "ask an Xbox gamer." Ugh. Thanks, but no thanks.

Now compare that to the Nintendo support experience I had last week. I was speaking to a live rep in less than a minute. But I digress.

So, TLDR:

1. Has anyone experienced the same controller issue? If so, what should I do?
  2. If support is the only option, how the hell do I get to a live person? Should I drive to a Microsoft store?!

By your description it is a faulty blue tooth in the system which should just be a repair and replace with ms or if it's under warranty take it back and get a replacement

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same issues here with Xbox One S.

I replaced my launch console because of constant controller dropouts.

Now my Xbox One S which is just under two years old has controller issues and it seems like the power supply is faulty as the system is constantly turning off at random times.

Not having much luck.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup I had the same shit happen to me so many times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it just drops the connection out of no where on my X1X

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Never had this issue with my Xbox One X which I play just about every day. I did have a similar issue back my original PS4 and I think it had some sort of interference with my router. Since I moved and upgraded to my PS4 Pro I haven't had this issue.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Never had this issue with my Xbox One X which I play just about every day. I did have a similar issue back my original PS4 and I think it had some sort of interference with my router. Since I moved and upgraded to my PS4 Pro I haven't had this issue.
I've heard this too, and admittedly the router is very close to the Xbox, but the PS4 and Switch are even closer and I never had any issues.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Haven't had these issues but enough people seem to seem to have controller issues on Era that it definitely seems like it could be widespread. Hopefully they've at minimum already noticed the issues internally and have worked them out for series x and the next set on controller models

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I DM'd Xbox support when it was suggested here and haven't heard anything yet. I'm starting to get desperate and taking this personally.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
My original XB1 did this, but my XB1X never has. I should point out that I have my Xbox set to fully turn off when powered down. No sleep mode here as it's not very energy efficient.

OP, do you have this issue if you turn it on from being completely off?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've had this issue on and off sometimes but then I'll go stretches with any issues so it's been manageable for me. I hope you can get in contact with their support and sort it but I wouldn't swear at them no matter how frustrated you are.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I've had this issue on and off sometimes but then I'll go stretches with any issues so it's been manageable for me. I hope you can get in contact with their support and sort it but I wouldn't swear at them no matter how frustrated you are.
I could have worded it better, you're right. I like to think I swore around them and not *at* them lol.

Mar 20, 2018
I personally believe most people that have this issue are encountering wifi interference. Even though the controllers aren't on the exact frequency as other wifi devices, they are still allowed to overlap a bit and cause congestion.

My experience with this issue was controller disconnects/unresponsiveness, major interference with my wireless headset. In my media closet I had my One X(wired ethernet), headset base station, internet/wireless gateway. I would have connection issues every day. The moment I forwarded my wifi traffic to a separate extender that was in a room+wall away, the issues disappeared.

I feel that people have intermittent problems due to the Xbox trying to negotiate for the best available wifi channel and other items eventually encroaching on it.

Good luck.

LCNoir96

Aug 31, 2019
Don't bother phoning. Go to Device Services on the website (you'll need to register your console if you haven't already) and set up a repair request.

Even if you get to speak to someone, all they'll do is waste your time.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Seems you can request them to call you on here.

Can't check how far in the popup you have to go as I don't have a xbox account.

Good luck
As I mentioned in the OP, I tried going through those steps, but *every* combination of answers I tried under the "device" category gives me "phone support is not available for this." Instead, they ask me to try the virtual assistant or "ask an Xbox gamer," hence my frustration.

No phone, email or live chat options.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
the phone number for tech support used to be 1-800-4MYXbox

don't know if it's still running these days

edit: ah seems you do need to request a callback nowadays... say it's related to your console, not the controllers btw

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
the phone number for tech support used to be 1-800-4MYXbox

don't know if it's still running these days

edit: ah seems you do need to request a callback nowadays... say it's related to your console, not the controllers btw
Damn. I got excited when I dialed the number and it connected me to Xbox support. But the only options they offer are to "send a text to my phone" with the link to the Xbox support site, or "read it out loud again."

No other options.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I found the "Service Order" link. I'm going to call a Microsoft store (they mention it on the page) to confirm that the issue is something that should be serviced first.

The form is straight forward and I'm worried if I send it without confirming with anyone that it would get sent back.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this is still a thing. I ran into this issue constantly when I had an Xbox One. You'd think they would've fixed this by now!

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was the only one for a long time with this issue - it's actually one that's pretty hard to Google about since most of the results you get back are general Bluetooth troubleshooting.

Make sure that your controllers firmware is updated - you can do that from settings. This helped resolve the problem partially. Other than that, the best advice I can give is to get a USB extension cable and play wired.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Once the controller sync issue happens it never went away

I've lost 3 controllers to this

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I thought I was the only one for a long time with this issue - it's actually one that's pretty hard to Google about since most of the results you get back are general Bluetooth troubleshooting.

Make sure that your controllers firmware is updated - you can do that from settings. This helped resolve the problem partially. Other than that, the best advice I can give is to get a USB extension cable and play wired.
I make sure to check for controller updates regularly. I'm also considering going the wired route until I find a more permanent solution. What a pretty sad state to be in.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Jinfash

Just to rule out wireless network interference, try powering down your WiFi router and any other device emitting wireless signal near the Xbox.

Turn on your Xbox and see if the problem still persist. If everything works fine, now you know you have wireless interference.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Jinfash

Just to rule out wireless network interference, try powering down your WiFi router and any other device emitting wireless signal near the Xbox.

Turn on your Xbox and see if the problem still persist. If everything works fine, now you know you have wireless interference.
Hmmm, I haven't tried this yet but I will! If that ends up being the issue, is there a way to avoid this without moving my router? With my limited space and cable outlet, I don't have much option beyond having my consoles and router in the living room.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I know this sounds silly, but bear with me. My Xbox is connected via Ethernet. Does anyone think that if I switch to WiFi *something* would change with the WiFi frequency between my controllers and Xbox?

Scraping the bottom of the barrel rn.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Hmmm, I haven't tried this yet but I will! If that ends up being the issue, is there a way to avoid this without moving my router? With my limited space and cable outlet, I don't have much option beyond having my consoles and router in the living room.
Yeah, rule out that it's a network interference issue first. If the problem persist, you likely have a faulty console or controller.

If it IS a wireless interference issue, we'll I'm not so sure. Maybe there's an option in the router to shift channels or frequency range or something to that effect. I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you sound advice here.

As for wired connection, definitely keep it that way! 10 times better from a bandwidth, latency, and reliability perspective. All my consoles (sans Switch) and PC are hardwired for this reason.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah changing router channels is a good idea too

the routers are a lot stronger than the console/controller radio so if for some reason they're on the same band they could cause disconnects

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Also other things to consider , the wireless module is designed to be facing the user, so if you have the console facing a different direction, or not in front of you as you play you may experience issues.
Then there are the normal things for wireless devices like don't place them at floor level.

Also make sure that any cables near to the Xbox are tidy and not coiled. Unshield cables that are in coils can gain inductor or antenna like properties that can severely affect wireless signals.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar problem with my old Xbox One. Controller would randomly lose sync after X number of days and would require a usb cable to get it working again. I never got around to figuring out what the cause was but remember reading about a lot of other people with the same problem.

One X that replaced it doesn't have this problem though.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
A few updates:

Yeah, rule out that it's a network interference issue first. If the problem persist, you likely have a faulty console or controller.

If it IS a wireless interference issue, we'll I'm not so sure. Maybe there's an option in the router to shift channels or frequency range or something to that effect. I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you sound advice here.

As for wired connection, definitely keep it that way! 10 times better from a bandwidth, latency, and reliability perspective. All my consoles (sans Switch) and PC are hardwired for this reason.

I moved the Xbox as far away from the router as I possibly can, I tested the controllers sitting directly in front of the console, and I turned off my router and retested. None of that unfortunately worked. 😔

In a way I'm glad for that, because the idea of this system needing this much coddling compared to the PS4 and Switch seemed a little too much.

As far as reaching out support goes:
  • No DMs or @Mentions from Xbox Support Twitter.
  • Nobody called me back from the Microsoft store after I scheduled a call.
The only progress I made on this front is finding the page where I can create a service order. But judging by experience, blindly sending a system that way, with limited opportunity to describe the issue or talk to someone, is the quickest way to get the system sent back with no changes.

The sad part is that I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the system from the Microsoft Store.

Am I blowing this out of proportion or does seem oddly strange to anyone else? I understand how certain support teams want to weed out common questions and issues, but this feels absurd.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
A few updates:

I moved the Xbox as far away from the router as I possibly can, I tested the controllers sitting directly in front of the console, and I turned off my router and retested. None of that unfortunately worked. 😔

In a way I'm glad for that, because the idea of this system needing this much coddling compared to the PS4 and Switch seemed a little too much.

As far as reaching out support goes:
  • No DMs or @Mentions from Xbox Support Twitter.
  • Nobody called me back from the Microsoft store after I scheduled a call.
The only progress I made on this front is finding the page where I can create a service order. But judging by experience, blindly sending a system that way, with limited opportunity to describe the issue or talk to someone, is the quickest way to get the system sent back with no changes.

The sad part is that I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the system from the Microsoft Store.

Am I blowing this out of proportion or does seem oddly strange to anyone else? I understand how certain support teams want to weed out common questions and issues, but this feels absurd.

You have an extended warranty just take it back ...

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to do the "right thing" and schedule a call first like the instructions I found mentioned, but since I haven't gotten a call back I'm just going to wear my Karen wig, drop in, and call it a day.

In most cases you are better just taking it in, especially under warranty.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Final (?) Update: I went to the MS in town and they were super helpful and understanding. They decided within 10 minutes to replace the system with a MS cert refurbished unit.

I had such a positive reaction to the experience that shopped a bit and left with an Elite 2.

Lesson learned: don't bother with the online support portal, Twitter or calling. Go straight to an MS store.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Final (?) Update: I went to the MS in town and they were super helpful and understanding. They decided within 10 minutes to replace the system with a MS cert refurbished unit.

I had such a positive reaction to the experience that shopped a bit and left with an Elite 2.

Lesson learned: don't bother with the online support portal, Twitter or calling. Go straight to an MS store.
That is pretty good story. I will keep that in mind as well.

So it was mainly your console having an issue then eh, not the controllers. That is good.

I have early 2013/2014 controllers issue, they disconnect and connect again - 1 second delay.

But glad all is good on your end now.

OP
OP
Jinfash

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
That is pretty good story. I will keep that in mind as well.

So it was mainly your console having an issue then eh, not the controllers. That is good.

I have early 2013/2014 controllers issue, they disconnect and connect again - 1 second delay.

But glad all is good on your end now.
Console issue, correct! I wish mine was disconnecting then reconnecting. They consistently out-of-sync by the time I try to wake the Xbox from sleep, and won't reconnect until I restart. Basically putting the system to sleep was pointless.

Jun 22, 2018
I had similar issues on my day one console about 3 years after launch.

I fixed it by replacing the wireless board in the console for a new one I bought off eBay (it had been ripped out of a broken console by the seller).

Yours was probably having a similar issue.