• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i never [layed apocalypse but the first two were great games,very frustrating at times.i'm not sure if i ever finished them though.

here's a pic i made in photo mode from pacific rift and used as a wallpaper for a long time:
WNaQQIB.jpg

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
From beyond the grave:

Evolution Studios is dead... Long live Evolution Studios!
A Remastered Collection should be enough but I really really miss arcade racers, Sony should definitely approach Namco and fund Ridge Racer 8

Wipeout Omega Collection was outsourced to Swedish dev house, Creative Vault Studios long after OG team, Studio Liverpool were closed down. A straight forward remaster of MS collection can follow the same pattern but it'd interesting if they ever make a Bluepoint style remake/reboot encapsulating the "Best of" Motorstorm.

I was just thinking the other day that I'd like a remastered Motorstorm collection for ps4 or 5. Profitability considerations aside, does Sony have all the rights necessary to revive the franchise?

Licensed tracks are the biggest consideration. But if there is a to be a CoD MW-esque remake, I am sure they can forgo old tracks in favour of new ones.

Oct 30, 2017
burnout paradise was truly the death of arcade racers. shame on anyone who boosted it as the future, fun track design is now dead forever

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Motorstorm is the other game that I got besides Uncharted 2 when I got my Playstation 3. Those two games define that console for me in some ways. I would buy the heck out of any new Motorstorm game.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would love this to be rebooted - I only remember playing the first on PS3, never the sequels

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
burnout paradise was truly the death of arcade racers. shame on anyone who boosted it as the future, fun track design is now dead forever
Burnout Paradise still made sense because of the "build your own route" approach to races. The problem is more in open world racers that limit you to a pre-established track in the world instead of letting you, you know, actually use the open world in your advantage.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Not surprised a lot here had the same experience as me : love both the first two games (especially Rift) and never played Apocalypse.
OnRush bombed too.
Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Burnout, Driver and Motorstorm, all wiped out.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
YES.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift was a beautiful thing, but all three main titles had great features. A new Motorstorm, sporting next-gen physics and the best elements of the series would be so damn good. Want more than a new Wipeout.

SONY: DO IT

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Man, that first CGI trailer of Motorstorm back in the PS3 days was such an amazing thing. And it was 15 years ago fuck

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yes please! All of these games were great, Apocalypse included. If I had to choose between a new Motorstorm and a new Wipeout, I'd choose the former, though preferably we'd get both.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely adore this, even just a trilogy remaster. Unfortunately I really can't see it happening given Evolution's dissolution and - even if miraculously they were reassembled - Sony made it pretty clear they had no confidence in them. Even Codemasters shut them down 😔

heard the second was great as well

Oh dude find a way. It is a much, much better game. GOAT PS3 racer last generation IMO

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'd take a simple Motorstorm Apocalypse uprez to be honest, that game was beautiful in action.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Well that's purely subjective but Pacific Rift also exists and was successful enough to greenlight another sequel.

Yep, but it sold a fraction of the first one (took 2 months to reach 1 million sales).

I really think that Apocalipse sold poorly.

On the other hand:
You have a highly succesful series: you do NOT develop more chapters and instead disband the developer?

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely loved Pacific Rift. First one was neat but kinda lacking and Apocalypse lacked the flash and fun of the second game.

I'd settle for a 60 FPS remaster of it.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Motorstorm Trilogy Remasters / Remakes would be amazing.

The thought of next gen Apocalypse, with the mass destruction and track deformation would be pretty awesome.

Wish they would also bring back Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal and Burnout in some way too. Next gen physics and destruction for car combat games could be really cool.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I would absolutely adore this, even just a trilogy remaster. Unfortunately I really can't see it happening given Evolution's dissolution and - even if miraculously they were reassembled - Sony made it pretty clear they had no confidence in them. Even Codemasters shut them down 😔

Oh dude find a way. It is a much, much better game. GOAT PS3 racer last generation IMO

1. If we're talking purely remaster (up-resolutioned) then it can be outsourced (licensed soundtracks being a caveat), like it has been done on previous occasions with other games.
  2. If we're talking Modern Warfare style remake then that can be still outsourced with perhaps greater feedback and collaboration with Sony. It has been done with BP's SoTC.
  3. If we're talking a complete reboot with completely new tracks, vehicles and features then that might prove much more challenging.

MSPR is so beloved because of how it combines its broad vehicle classes with sandbox-esque track design parts of which are designed to be suitable certain types of class whilst disadvantaging others. They started it with Motorstorm but perfected it with Pacific Rift owing the varying geography of the tracks. It still stands as the master class of level design.

Personally, I'd take no. 2 where one game combines the best of from all the previous MS games, upgrades their visual, aural, physics, AI and QoL options.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, but it sold a fraction of the first one (took 2 months to reach 1 million sales).

I really think that Apocalipse sold poorly.

On the other hand:
You have a highly succesful series: you do NOT develop more chapters and instead disband the developer?

First Motorstorm was bundled for a long time though and released in a period when PS3 exclusives were few and far between.

And remember Apocalypse had to be delayed and then basically very quietly released after the japanese tsunami.

Still Sony sent MSPR out with very little marketing and an underwhelming demo, the section of game of which was much improved at least visually by the time it released.

1. If we're talking purely remaster (up-resolutioned) then it can be outsourced (licensed soundtracks being a caveat), like it has been done on previous occasions with other games.
  2. If we're talking Modern Warfare style remake then that can be still outsourced with perhaps greater feedback and collaboration with Sony. It has been done with BP's SoTC.
  3. If we're talking a complete reboot with completely new tracks, vehicles and features then that might prove much more challenging.

True. I was mainly referring to the potential another Evolution-helmed MS entry, which I think is very close to 0.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Pacific Rift wasn't that "early" though.

Ah okay. Then it's good sales for a PS3 exclusive. Shit, InFamous sold what? 2 million? Uncharted 1 was...less than 3? Ico and Shadow 1.3 million. Heck, took Killzone 2 to sell 1 million and now the head of Guerrilla Games is running PlayStation.

Pretty straightforward that the last game had a problem because Japan just had the Tsunami and didn't want to play something that hit so close to home.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! I don't know how but it needs to happen!
What about a side project for Naughty Dog? The driving parts in UC4 was kinda cool, arcadey, with great mud. I think they could do it!

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I quite miss arcadey unrealistic racers, only played the first motorstorm but it was quite fun. Throw in some cutting edge destruction and deformation physics and I'd be pretty excited.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I would love a Motorstorm reboot modeled after Forza Horizon. The original game was already themed around a festival and I think the different vehicle classes and the more rugged terrain would really set it apart.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
True. I was mainly referring to the potential another Evolution-helmed MS entry, which I think is very close to 0.

Oh that's a definite 0.

Talking about bundles, imagine if it came bundled with PSVR II and/or GT Sports 2 (aside from its own release). That way Sony could reignite the passion by broadening the userbase for the franchise for if and/or when they later decide on a sequel.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yes this is the kind of game that would make all the sense at launch cause of its ability to showcase specific features of this gen, like incredible cpu upgrade in that case.

Sometimes you need game just to show off your new tech.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont care for racing games, but I had a lot of fun with Motorstorm RC. Great little game, got it for free on Vita but ended up buying the DLC

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
- make a game called Motorstorm. It's not a new game. Just a collection of vehicles and tracks from all the Motorstorm games
- add VR support
- If sales take off, then add new content like Activision does for Crash Team Racing

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Closing Evolution was such a bad move by Sony, they were an incredibly talented studio and could of made Driveclub into Sony's answer for Forza Horizon.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
Especially with the potential of the new controller (different surfaces feeling different on the triggers or whichever it was), it could be a real showpiece.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Was only thinking about this the other night when playing Wreckfest. Enjoyed the series, would love to see more

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Sony should be at the forefront of new racing games that offer unique track layouts/environments that show off what their SSD can do.

JET FUCKING MOTO!!!.. tropical mountain climbs, huge jumps into the sea... etc.

A new Motorstorm should offer three different modes/tracks and environments...

MS1- more realistic handling and physics compared to the other two.
MS2- more arcadey....
MS3- more arcadey with disaster filled environments.

Oct 29, 2017
A Motorstorm collection would make me consider buying a PS5 more than any other SIE franchise would. Lock down framerates, 1080p native at the very least, and improve load times of course.

Leave the rubberbanding in, however. As annoying as some may find it, it made for some intense finishes.

Oct 27, 2017
The look and feel of Motorstorm's crashes and wipeouts were great in the first game, but weren't as good in the sequels, for some reason. Would love to see these, and the mud of the first game, return.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
Closing Evolution was such a bad move by Sony, they were an incredibly talented studio and could of made Driveclub into Sony's answer for Forza Horizon.
They couldn't get Driveclub working correctly for like 6 months after release, not so sure about how much talent was still there when it got shut down.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I'd rather have Bonestorm.

Motorstorm always impressed me with it's presentation. It was so unique at the time. Next gen Moto would be beautiful.