• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
So after replaying GTA Vice City, i feel like this is the ultimate soundtrack for a game. All the tracks encapsulate the time and place perfectly.

Such as -

What games do you think have perfect soundtracks?

Oct 29, 2017
For licensed music I was going to say GTA Vice City or San Andreas, but also Brutal Legend
For original score Super Mario Galaxy

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Jet Set Radio.

Half of it are original compositions (and the other half are indie unknown groups mostly).

(Edit: changed the link to a playlist with the actual full soundtrack, and not only the original songs)

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
GTA Vice City and San Andreas are perfect, but will also never happen again due to the licensing costs.

I'm going to go with Undertale, where every single song is a wonder.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Although i love the vice city soundtrack. I'd give San Andreas the one up on it.

Nov 1, 2017
Obligatory Super Metroid OST mention: https://youtu.be/MqbosLMJYDA

For something that is so brooding and atmospheric, each and every track still retains enough melodic elements that it just stays in your head. I don't think I could cut a single track from it without the game feeling like it's missing something.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Nier.

If we're talking licensed, pick your poison with Tony Hawk Underground, Vice City or San Andreas. All of them fantastic.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter and Fez. I love Disasterpeace! 🥰
(Watch the movie It Follows, it also has a chilling great Soundtrack by Disasterpeace!)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
All of the LittleBigPlanet games and Sackboy's Big Adventure too.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is "perfect" really much different than "soundtrack I like"? Someone here needs to be annoying and post some individual clunkers for the suggestions in this thread, lol.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is "perfect" really much different than "soundtrack I like"? Someone here needs to be annoying and post some individual clunkers for the suggestions in this thread, lol.

Yes. However, from a strictly scholarly perspective on the matter, it has been determined that LISA hits all of the right notes to be identified as a "perfect" soundtrack. This isn't an opinion piece, I'm speaking solely based on the data.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Civilization 6. Only a couple of themes I don't really care about but even then there are often elements I do like a lot. For example I'm not really a fan of Australia's Waltzing Matilda, but one of the ambient tracks uses a didgeridoo and it's fucking amazing.

This game introduced me to so many different sounds and instruments from all over the world.

Here's Mongolian throat singing:

It's hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to choose:

3:30 is breathtakingly beautiful.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For me this one is easy. Shin Megami Tensei IV has the best OST in all of gaming:

The starting song was so good I'd often times find myself not even starting the game just to listen to it.

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Umineko is up there, extremely varied OST (around 200 songs) and yet they all fit the moments they're played in perfectly.

Edit: I guess this is a better video to show how varied the music is lmfao

Last edited:

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
I'll refrain from throwing out the stock standard answers here, but one that's consistently overlooked is Street Fighter 2. It's telling the best tracks in all the recent SF games are just new versions of the character themes from 30 years ago.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I finished RDR2 recently and I'd say that was perfect. Excellent vocal choices, Music is incredibly memorable hitting exactly when it needed and making impact. The highlight for me was "Red Dead Redemption"

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Bloody Roar 2's console soundtrack is absolutely outstanding across the board. Not my personal favorite or anything, but it just really impresses me how each song feels equally as good as the last.

The original Virtua Tennis has a somewhat similar composition style to it and I would say that game absolutely has a spotless OST as well.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OST'S that complimented their games' setting perfectly:

Tekken 3
Starcraft Brood War - Terrain campaign
Devil May Cry
Shadow of the Colossus
Deus Ex

Oct 26, 2017
I'll refrain from throwing out the stock standard answers here, but one that's consistently overlooked is Street Fighter 2. It's telling the best tracks in all the recent SF games are just new versions of the character themes from 30 years ago.
I would argue that SFII's music tracks are just as iconic as the characters they represent. Yoko Shimomura knocked it out the park with that OST.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Minecraft has genuinely one of the most thoughtful and well implemented soundtracks I've heard in a game. C418's work throughout the game's development and ongoing life continues to shine and it feels unique. Guest composers Gareth Coker and Lena Raine also put in fantastic work.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Jet Set Radio Future, Silent Hill 1-4, Persona 3-5, Shadow of the Colossus, Nier + Automata, Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Perfect Dark

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Ragnarok Online and Final Fantasy XIV are overflowing with hundreds of good, original tracks. It's actually pretty nuts when you look at the sheer quantity of quality.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
I think Killer Instinct deserves at least an honourable mention:

This + 'AVAILABLE FOR YOUR HOME IN 1995. ONLY ON NINTENDO ULTRA 64' in the arcade intro = hype level through the roof.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
For me this one is easy. Shin Megami Tensei IV has the best OST in all of gaming:

The starting song was so good I'd often times find myself not even starting the game just to listen to it.

I'm with you. It builds the atmosphere for the game so well that I didn't feel a fall off from the PS2 SMT games despite the visuals and environments being much simpler.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
GTA Vice City and San Andreas are perfect, but will also never happen again due to the licensing costs.

I'm going to go with Undertale, where every single song is a wonder.

I dunno, it's not like GTAV isn't filled with licensed music. I think the GTAV soundtrack might be even better in general. Plus the original compositions are a step up every single game.

Drakengard had the perfect soundtrack. Nothing else has come close.

sanodg and J99 going insane with the sampling. The early 00s were a great time, with DMC1 also pushing the envelope of video game sampling.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There are rare moments when every single song in a game fits each and every level perfectly and every single one of them are bangers. That said ...

Sayonara Wild Hearts
Celeste

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gitaroo Man, start to finish every track was a banger. Not a single weak track on there and the only one I could consider "perfect"

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
-Banjo-Kazooie
-Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2

Every single track on all three of those games. And while I'll say I may not enjoy every track, I think it would be a complete disservice to not mention the game that probably has the biggest soundtrack that gaming has to offer: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles. Gaur Plain (Day), Mechanical Rhythm, Satorl Marsh (Night), Reminiscence (Music Box), Makna Forest (Night), Mechonis Field, Colony 6 (Hope), Beyond the Sky... and that's just off the top of my head. One of the best soundtracks ever.