• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What style would you like to see a new PD entry in?

• Third-Person

Votes: 49 30.6%
  • First-Person

Votes: 86 53.8%
  • Either is fine

Votes: 25 15.6%

• Total voters

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
There's been rumors for awhile now that a new Perfect Dark may be in the works and it's allegedly being developed by Microsoft's new studio, The Initiative. Assuming it's true, what would you like to see in the new entry? What would you like to see changed or removed entirely? Here some some directions I personally hope the game will take...

Campaign
Rumors persist that it's likely to be a 3rd person shooter this, and despite the original game and prequel being FPS', I'm actually quite okay with this. Put a well told and interesting story behind it and some intuitive and unique gameplay and this could have the potential of being Microsoft's futuristic "Uncharted" or "Splinter Cell" as you will, considering it has always been a stealthy/action oriented franchise. And be it a sequel to the original or a complete reboot, please bring back the Skedar/Maian aliens! The rival alien factions with the humans working alongside the good Maian race severely missed in Perfect Dark Zero. While this could be completely moot if it's a complete reboot, I think it would be a disservice to the 'DNA' of Perfect Dark to include them.

Co-Op/Counter-OP
Both the original game and its prequel, Perfect Dark Zero, were a blast to playthrough with a friend. And the original's Counter-OP mode put a second player in control of the enemies, which made for a much different experience. It would be great to see these modes return!

No Open World (?)
In a gaming landscape where so many games are now open-world or semi-open, I'd hope that Perfect Dark avoids this. I'm not opposed to it if it's done well, but I'd much prefer multiple levels divided into missions like the games two predecessors and Goldeneye. Maybe a bit bigger to take even more advantage of the game's—hopefully!—objective based difficulty. There's more than enough open world games out there without Perfect Dark having to go that route, too, but again, I'm okay with it but just not as excited at the prospect of it as I would be with the smaller "go on this mission and do this Joanna" levels as the other games were structured.

Futuristic Weaponry
Perfect Dark still has a lot of weaponry that is unmatched today. The Super Dragon and the Laptop Gun are two of my favorite weapons of all-time. I mean come on, a gun that you're blasting does with one minute, and then the next your tossing it against a wall to serve as a sentry weapon?! It was awesome! And who could forget about The Reaper or the Farsight with its X-Ray technology that could blast a foe—through walls!—across the entire map! A new game has to have these classic weapons and, of course, a new array of weapons to add to its legacy. Each with secondary functions, of course...

Objective Based Difficulty
This is a big one and one I feel still makes Perfect Dark—and even Zero and Goldeneye—ahead of their time still. The majority of shooters out their have one thing in common when it comes to their campaigns... the difficulty. You select a harder difficulty, you get the same campaign with just harder AI to get through. But PD, PDZ, and GE? No. Rare upped the ante by going above and beyond by doing more than just making the game harder, but also requiring that the player do more! I feel like this is a must for a new game as it really sets it apart from most other shooters and I'd hope that The Initiative (or whoever) takes this into account and keeps this in the game.

The Multiplayer
What is Perfect Dark without a memorable multiplayer component? It offered so many options with different games, a lot of characters to choose from, and so much more that no other shooter really rivals it today in this regard (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here). Of course, if it is third person this go round, it'll be interesting to see how it plays, but I'm cool with that as long as it hopefully maintains the aforementioned things. And let's not forget those Perfect Dark challenges! Man, those were incredibly difficult to complete and to this day I still haven't managed to beat them all, but they're a blast to attempt, especially with a friend!

So how about it Era? What's your hopes and aspirations for a new Perfect Dark?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Full reboot. TPS, Black Widow style combat with shooting but also fighting but also offcourse stealth with hacking etc.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Full reboot. TPS, Black Widow style combat with shooting but also fighting but also offcourse stealth with hacking etc.
This.

essentially make it Splinter Cell Blacklist with Joana Dark kicking ass in a sci-fi cyberpunk setting. Please and thanks.

(if it has multiplayer or not is whatever to me, hope its good if it has it though)

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd just want it to do what the original and Goldeneye did, missions with multiple objectives that can be completed in any order and require exploitation of large and open levels, with the player using cool weapons and gadgets to complete objectives

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
-Squad co-op might be cool (maybe some playable aliens). Character options offering some asymmetry/focus on synergies and support abilities (during coop). But if they return to the solo secret agent/exploration focus I'd be down for that as well as long as it was more combat focused and less stealth.
-No open world but large explorable maps with side objectives based on difficulty would definitely be awesome.
-Include a few classic Goldeneye and Perfect Dark maps in multiplayer (not sure if Goldeneye maps would be allowed but surely they could just more or less copy the layouts, re-texture them and name them something else?
-If they want to reinvent the wheel for multiplayer, it might be fun to have a 1 vs. Many mode where one player is Johanna Dark and the others are weaker henchman trying to prevent her from accomplishing the objective(s). When the henchmen die there can be some kind of respawn timer where they "Agent Smith" into another AI enemy somewhere in the map. Johanna has one life. If they aren't into something this asymmetrical, they could just make it two opposing force teams to even the playing field.
-Dual wield Maulers.

Last edited:

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Only played Zero.

Honestly, it's been so much time that I just want a full reboot in a similar futuristic setting and more espionage stuff (stealth mixed with gunplay) with large open areas to take different approaches at objectives.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
I'd just want it to do what the original and Goldeneye did, missions with multiple objectives they can be completed in any order and require exploitation of large and open levels, with the player using cool weapons and gadgets to complete objectives
This. Those games had a style of level design that I haven't seen anywhere else, and I would love to get more of it.

A focus on interesting AI behaviors would also fit very well. And creative weapons.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This. Those games had a style of level design that I haven't seen anywhere else, and I would love to get more of it.

A focus on interesting AI behaviors would also fit very well. And creative weapons.

I also don't really think we have many FPS games like that anymore

Most shooters are GaaS grindfests, open world games or linear action campaigns, or they go into full on immersive sim

Something like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark with modern production values would be pretty unique I think

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
is it too early to start begging for them to buy and use the Timesplitters IP instead?

the really next-gen thing I'd love to see in a PD-like is branching paths, as determined by a few factors. for example, force players to pick only one objective out of multiple options: "you only have time to either hack the mainframe and get the intel, or chase the bad guy and apprehend them."

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
TPS rumored? Wow i did not know that. I dont know how i feel about this. I could maybe get behind that. Also i agree, not open world.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd just want it to do what the original and Goldeneye did, missions with multiple objectives that can be completed in any order and require exploitation of large and open levels, with the player using cool weapons and gadgets to complete objectives

This!.

I loved how you would gain additional objectives on higher difficulty levels as well. For me it needs to stay as an FPS, but mix a little bit of Metroid Prime into some of the levels, where you can access various areas with certain tools, skills etc.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with a Splinter Cell Conviction / Blacklist like reboot of Perfect Dark. There are plenty of ways they could keep the spirit of the IP alive without making it an FPS again.

An FPS immersive sim reboot sounds great too though.

is it too early to start begging for them to buy and use the Timesplitters IP instead?

the really next-gen thing I'd love to see in a PD-like is branching paths, as determined by a few factors. for example, force players to pick only one objective out of multiple options: "you only have time to either hack the mainframe and get the intel, or chase the bad guy and apprehend them."
THQ Nordic is planning to bring back Timesplitters. They even hired one of the original devs to shepherd the IP.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Third-person stealth game, ala Splinter Cell, but taking place in a futuristic world. "Open world", but that world is a dense cityscape with buildings you'll have to infiltrate and whatnot, along with busy city streets down below. Lots of different ways to ingress and egress - maybe jump off an even taller building, and glide over to the roof. Methodically work your way from the bottom. Blast your way in. Use disguise to walk your way in, sorta like Hitman. And so on.

A safehouse you can upgrade, and which maybe you'd have to relocate based on the way you play - drawing a lot of attention to yourself or leaving tracks, versus being a ghost. Upgradeable gadgets. Missions that take inspiration from something like Alpha Protocol, where maybe a mission is just an intense conversation with an antagonist, where the story can branch depending on how it goes.

Maybe even give an option where if you play too loud and violent of a style, your agency eventually disavows you and your story shifts to that of a "rogue" agent, which offers it's own perks and drawbacks.

Basically I want a next-level, big-budget assimilation of Alpha Protocol and Splinter Cell, haha.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
On N64, the game had an unsettling tone. It wasn't quite horror, but it was close. The levels were very dark. Not to mention, once you get to Area 51 and start seeing the aliens, the game feels so unique.

I hope it doesn't go third person, because if it does, I feel it'll go more towards a Splinter Cell route, and we already have a splinter cell.

I'd love a linear reboot similar to the settings of the first game. Pretend Zero never happened.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Third-person stealth game, ala Splinter Cell, but taking place in a futuristic world. "Open world", but that world is a dense cityscape with buildings you'll have to infiltrate and whatnot, along with busy city streets down below. Lots of different ways to ingress and egress - maybe jump off an even taller building, and glide over to the roof. Methodically work your way from the bottom. Blast your way in. Use disguise to walk your way in, sorta like Hitman. And so on.

A safehouse you can upgrade, and which maybe you'd have to relocate based on the way you play - drawing a lot of attention to yourself or leaving tracks, versus being a ghost. Upgradeable gadgets. Missions that take inspiration from something like Alpha Protocol, where maybe a mission is just an intense conversation with an antagonist, where the story can branch depending on how it goes.

Maybe even give an option where if you play too loud and violent of a style, your agency eventually disavows you and your story shifts to that of a "rogue" agent, which offers it's own perks and drawbacks.

Basically I want a next-level, big-budget assimilation of Alpha Protocol and Splinter Cell, haha.

This but instead of one big open world - levels that are more like Hitman levels (maybe twice as big on average) ranging from futuristic city to hidden hangar, to datadyne HQ etc..

I'd also say it should be a stealth-action hybrid. Either allow for multiple play styles or perhaps missions start stealthy but by the end all hell has broken loose. Hitman again isnt a terrible comparison although in that game I think action is supposed to be avoided. It should be appropriate at a certain point in Perfect Dark.

Co op and counter op should be big focuses, as should replayability of levels - different gadgets, ways to beat the mission etc..

Dont need a competitive MP outside of counter op as I'd rather they put all their resources into the levels/missions/replayability aspect.

I'd also choose a new open Carrington Institute instead of a safe house - with lots of Easter eggs and hidden secrets as well as challenges, training and customization.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Blacklist with Phantom Pain CQC with future weapons. Hub levels with multiple objectives like the original and Goldeneye, or more in vein of Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes and Hitman.

Also, Laptop Gun.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahah, you know what, fair enough.

I guess I just mean I feel that Perfect Dark on N64 is a radically different game than SC, and while I definitely want more games like SC, I don't want Perfect Dark to be like SC, if that makes sense?
Perfect Dark had aggressive stealth. You'd sneak around, fuck shit up, and continue to fuck shit up when you get caught. Splinter Cell Blacklist also has very aggressive stealth if you choose to go that route, so it would lend itself well to the spirit of the first game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Either a Third Person stealth-eqsue game like Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Where you can be stealthy, lethal, or action). Or a First person shooter that was more like Dishonored and is a immersive sim as well. I think leaning into the spy stuff and being less just a First Person shooter with gadgets (Like PD:Zero was) would be better.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I hadn't heard this might be third person. That is interesting. A futuristic Uncharted like female 007 style game could be really neat.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
On N64, the game had an unsettling tone. It wasn't quite horror, but it was close. The levels were very dark. Not to mention, once you get to Area 51 and start seeing the aliens, the game feels so unique.

I hope it doesn't go third person, because if it does, I feel it'll go more towards a Splinter Cell route, and we already have a splinter cell.

I'd love a linear reboot similar to the settings of the first game. Pretend Zero never happened.

You're right. It hit a nice balance between "mature" and not taking itself too serious.
I would never forget that opening scene, being briefed on your mission while flying through Chicago traffic, and then landing on the helipad.
How cool was it to turn the tables and instead of going from down to up, you actually start at the very top of the building and have to proceed downstairs. Hopefully, they can figure out a way to do stealth but no in the Deus Ex kind of way.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All this! Quality narrative focused SP with over the shoulder gunplay, gadgets galore, super stylish animations and a thumping, retro sounding synthesized OST ala Dred/Cyberpunk.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I'd want them to not make Perfect Dark into something it's never been. I mean it's a spiritual sequel to one of the most iconic games ever.
-FPS
-Carry as many weapons as you find
-Local and online multiplayer with familiar maps included
-Different objectives for different difficulty settings
-Maybe open world if it's really well done, but preferably not
-Music by original PD's composer(s)
-Light stealth mechanics
-Both normal and alien weapons

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Idk it would have to be something radically different because I don't see the old FPS formula working for whatever reason.

Goldeneye however...

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark is the secret best FPS, so make it like that but expand everything. More gadgets, more weapons, more objectives, more complex levels, more enemy types, more cheats and secrets, more difficulty options, more multiplayer options, more everything.

Mod support and a browser for dedicated multiplayer servers would be pretty neat too.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like them to lean into the original game's proto-immersive-sim elements and make something akin to a more action-oriented Arkane game, with genuinely good shooting. A good mix of hacking, pathfinding, big shootouts, stealth and so on, with an emphasis on complex, layered level design and interesting objectives with multiple solutions. Lots of juicy systems-driven stuff.

Oh, and at least one mission where you've gotta infiltrate a party using social stealth in addition to all of the above, like that one assassination in the first Dishonored but without the limitations imposed by a silent protagonist. Real glamorous super spy type stuff.

Plus a good spy-fi story with plenty of intrigue to hold it all together, of course.

The whole third person stealth action angle leaves me kinda cold to be honest, though I won't write it off entirely.

EDIT:

Branching paths - again, in the imsim tradition - would be fantastic too!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I always really liked those large working real life environments, like the airport and Air Force one.

Hitman absolutely nails these environments, so I'd like to see Perfect Dark be a Sci-Fi Hitman.

I can't even imagine the game as anything but a stealth game, I kinda feel people forget that is what both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were and instead just want a new game to be a straight F

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Full on reboot. Keep the names of some characters/corporations and whole sci-fi mystery thriller but otherwise start fresh. When it comes to gadgets and guns, trim it down. Less is more when you make smart use of them.

Or make it a kart racer.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want them to not make Perfect Dark into something it's never been. I mean it's a spiritual sequel to one of the most iconic games ever.
-FPS
-Carry as many weapons as you find
-Local and online multiplayer with familiar maps included
-Different objectives for different difficulty settings
-Maybe open world if it's really well done, but preferably not
-Music by original PD's composer(s)
-Light stealth mechanics
-Both normal and alien weapons
Not saying that new composers can't make an awesome soundtrack (look at what Mick Gordon did with KI), but not getting Grant Kirkhope on board for a Perfect Dark reboot when he's living in LA and could work directly with the studio* feels like a missed opportunity.

*Assuming The Initiative is working on it, that is.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As long as it supports the game boy camera, that's all that matters

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A stand in for Splinter Cell. Third person stealth game with online co-op. Retain the cyberpunk lite aesthetic. Aliens can go or stay.

absolutely NOT the PDZ design, OG or something new. Not redhead thanks

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Let me start this all by saying that PD0 was very underrated and, to be honest, was better than all of the Killzone games.

Second, please go back to an open-ended, objective-based style of campaign; I actually cannot believe how much FPS campaigns have regressed since PD0.