• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
It is SHOCKING how much stuff "insiders" pulled directly out of their ass on this one

-It's 3rd Person
-Set in the PD universe, but not REALLY PD

Etc.

Dec 30, 2017
I know nothing about the original Perfect Dark game, so this trailer didn't do much for me, but after reading some of the responses here I'm tempted to try the original and join the hype. I think it's on gamepass, right? Has it aged well or is it too late for me?

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cool trailer.

Cool seeing the laptop machine gun too. Hope the crazy weapon variety is back.

Oct 28, 2017
I know nothing about the original Perfect Dark game, so this trailer didn't do much for me, but after reading some of the responses here I'm tempted to try the original and join the hype. I think it's on gamepass, right? Has it aged well or is it too late for me?
Go into it willing to look stuff up (some objectives can be very obtuse), accepting that there's 20 year old jank, and start on the lowest difficulty to get the hang of how levels flow. (Willingness to read the mission briefings doesn't hurt either. Half the time your objectives are spelled out in the pause screen dossier, as opposed to in level story telling.)

One of the things I love most about it is that the difficulty level isn't just your/enemy health. But objectives are layered on, making levels play entirely differently based on what you choose.

So on easy a stage's sole objective is often just "make it to the end of the level". But on Perfect Agent (hard) you might have to track down a disguise, knock out a guard to get a keycard, plant a bug in a computer terminal and make it out without triggering the alarm system.

It's very different than modern FPSs. But that uniqueness makes the game.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I played it recently and had no idea what to do half the time. I still had fun in co-op but the game is pretty obtuse in its direction. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It is a bit hard to really categorize Perfect Dark but if you do not mind a little challenge it is super satisfying. Very much a product of its time, especially in terms of aiming and gun feedback. The multiplayer was on another level itself. It had standard deathmatch type stuff, but also remixes of the campaign levels that were co-op or even counter-op.

One of my favorite aspects of the game was already mentioned. The layered difficulty really changes how you view the encounters and world. My favorite spin on that was how one level you were a sniper trying to rescue a hostage, but on the same level on the highest difficulty you are the hostage.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
f54g.png

dc5d.png

6s7q.png

c86m.png

Who's next ?
man o man...you LOVE to see it.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news! Can't wait to see how they bring it back. They've certainly got experience with successfully rebooting old IP (Tomb Raider), so I have high hopes for this.

On a side note, Perfect Dark was high on my list of Xbox IPs I'd like to see return. After Fable and this the list is finally shrinking. Banjo-Kazooie and PGR next, please? :)

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I know nothing about this franchise but this was probably the biggest announcement of the show. Might check it out when it releases.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
What an incredible announcement to wake up to, if it has the same robust multiplayer as the original and objectives that change depending on difficulty like the original then count me in, I'll even buy an Xbox if it doesn't come to PC.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Loved the original to death, had no idea what this would be until I saw the DataDyne logo, took a few seconds for it to click and then HOLY SHIT IT'S PERFECT DARK

I just hope it's like the original in that it's a level based objective driven shooter, but hopefully with massive open levels

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Fuck yeah, looking forward to this.

Hopefully they don't fully do away with the Aliens. I want Elvis back.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm surprised some people are surprised this is coming to PC. Everything MS has made for the past 3-4 years has been on PC.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I watched some reactions to this reveal and I'm surprised how many didn't react to the DataDyne logo on top of the building.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Can't wait to see what they do with it. Perfect dark is one of my fav games of all time (the co op and all the modes were really so far ahead of anything on console at the time) I loved the 360 game but mostly for the MP. Day one.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Really excited for this. There is huge potential in the IP and the team seems incredibly talented.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think the physicality of their game will mean (to me, at least) gameplay much like mirror's edge, with baked-in physical interactions like RDR2, which will bring its own responsiveness problems. It will hopefully have choices story/branches like Dishonored to solve and they probably already have a decent plot outline. This studio has many namedrops in various positions who absolutely know how to deliver, so I'm expecting something worthwhile, and right up my street. With these guys and Arkane, MS cannot really go wrong for me anymore.

Sep 7, 2020
Hoping to see more soon next year. Glad to see what the franchise will be from them. Also, I am wishing that they are able to deliver on a cool experience.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Fuck yeah. Really liked that trailer and the story vibes it's giving off. And as usual my hype is bumped up since I won't need to spend £60 on this thing because of Game Pass, I can just play it Day 1. Let's go.

May 19, 2020
perfect dark barely has an identity outside of the n64 game so uh a cinematic trailer means exactly nothing to me. wake me up when they confirm cool guns w/ secondary functions and proxy pinball

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer was pretty boring to be honest, even for a CG trailer there was nothing to be hyped about except that it is PD.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Sounds like they want to borrow some of the "DNA" from immersive sims - which I love the idea of. It's probably unintentional, but going back to Perfect Dark recently I felt like there was some similarity between that and the likes of Deus Ex.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to live and die on it's level and objective design.

If it doesn't add more objectives to stages as you increase the difficulty then I'm not interested.