• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I'm not sure why there is so much excitement about a new Perfect Dark game

I played them both when they came out - the first was a let down as a sequel to Goldeneye, Zero was very mediocre too.

Does anyone actually have good memories of either game?

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
Perfect Dark surpassed Goldeneye in every single way. It's a near perfect game, and I have been eagerly awaiting a sequel for 20 damn years.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably because the atmosphere and setting for a game like that in full next gen visuals while not playing anything like the original sounds awesome. I hated the original God of Wars but the PS4 God of War is a masterpiece to me

Oct 31, 2017
Excuuuuuuuuuse me. The first was a let down? What? Are we talking about the same game?
It was better than Goldeneye in everyway.

BimmyLee

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmmm, Perfect Dark completely blew me away when I first played it, I thought it was better than Goldeneye in virtually every way.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
perfect dark was a masterpiece at the time

i preferred goldeneye because of my love for the bond license.... but perfect dark wasn't far off at all, and surpassed it in most ways

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark is better than Goldeneye though. The multiplayer was fantastic.

Zero though, yeah that was pretty average.

But if the rumours are true, they aren't just making another FPS PD, sounds like a story driven tps spy game of some sort.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Perfect Dark is solid even if I probably played Goldeneye five times as much and enjoyed it much more. It's probably better but just didn't capture me like GE. I think hype for PD is expected but I also haven't been into FPS really for a while. Hope they knock it out of the park though.

never played PD zero

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am excited because i like the character, the universe, and the fact that The Initiative get to fully realize those aspects.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'd be fascinated to her you expand on how Perfect Dark was a letdown in specific comparison to GoldenEye, because Perfect Dark was essentially just "GoldenEye, but even better".

PD Zero? Sure, that game was pretty average.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Man what the fuck? What kind of average games are you playing with the attention to detail Perfect Dark has? With all the responsive hit reactions from enemies? Shooting weapons out of hands? Different objectives for different difficulties radically changing how levels play out? Inventive secondary weapon modes, some with tertiary fire mods? Multiplayer that is jam packed with options? An extra mode that was like a proto L4D versus mode nearly a decade before the fact? All this on some tiny capacity N64 cart in 2000.

What in the everloving sucking fuck are you on?

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yeah but

WallGuy.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I agree in that I thought the two games were pretty meh. The first was good, but my friends and I still preferred Goldeneye. I guess one reason to be excited about the new one is that it's not like the same people are making it and it's been so damn long since the last one that it doesn't really have to follow anything those other two games did.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I never played these games, but answering this question:
I'm not sure why there is so much excitement about a new Perfect Dark game
You can't use the quality of a game as basis to the exciment for the reboot/remake of this game, it's the universe, atmosphere or anything that the original game stands out.
If the original game is already good, great, if not, there is certainly something from there that can be reused.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark is an amazing game and tops Goldeneye in every way. Zero was a letdown but I won't say I didn't enjoy it at the launch of the 360.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PD is one of the greatest games made, defined console FPS. But of course today, its not going to keep up to some of the best. That doesn't take away from it brilliance.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PD is better than Goldeneye in every way. Better weapons, better objective design, better level design, better multiplayer.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Bwahahahahahaha

OG PD is a masterpiece and a Hall of Fame FPS.

PDZero is far worse than mediocre - it's a legitimately awful game with barely any redeeming qualities.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Man, there have been some strange threads shitting all over classic games in the last month or so. The original PD is one of the best console FPS ever. Mission structure, story, weapon sandbox and a huge MP suite that was not common place back then. There's a reason it has an upper 90's metacritc score.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I don't think anyone considers Perfect Dark Zero as anything but mediocre at best, but the first one is dearly beloved

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
The original Perfect Dark was extremely impressive. It was so well thought out, and fleshed out with good content in every conceivable direction. I still go back to it every once in a while.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
You must have not had the expansion pak for the original PD, because that game was damn good. PDZ was... eh. It was ok for a launch title.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, PD on N64 was pretty weak. The soundtrack was incredible but the rest? It had nothing on Goldeneye. A huge disappointment in a long line of disappointing Rare games from that era (and after).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark is a GOAT shooter. Amazing game. Zero on the other hand...

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
Let's assume they where....

So the franchise doesn't deserve a chance to get better with a new installment?

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
The first game is better than GoldenEye in every way. And has a feature set modern games still fail to achieve. This thread is trash.

Also Zero wasn't great.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't get threads like these.

If you played PD 20 years ago, you obviously understood the hype and excitement from the franchise. It reviewed incredibly well.

"Does anyone actually have fond memories of this game?"

like what?

A half decent thread would be you explaining how the series wasn't very good for its time and why it's design choices wouldn't adapt well into a modern sequel.

But the, "does anyone actually like this popular game?" Type thread is just dumb.