• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
they're using a pandemic to try and sell more Pepsi.
At the very least it's a gesture. Lots of companies are using the pandemic to sell products. There are some that raising their prices, not handing out tiny discounts. Plus, It's not like Pepsi is exempt from the economic impacts of the disease. Maybe it will inspire competition from others.

Don't get me wrong, this is like the $.25 birthday present from Microsoft, but cut them some slack.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
At the very least it's a gesture. Lots of companies are using the pandemic to sell products. There are some that raising their prices, not handing out tiny discounts. Plus, It's not like Pepsi is exempt from the economic impacts of the disease. Maybe it will inspire competition from others.

Don't get me wrong, this is like the $.25 birthday present from Microsoft, but cut them some slack.
I mean they're still thanking them at a high margin. Like, come on.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
gablvrcaerfo6apvmcv9.gif
this is good, lmao.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's still a gesture. No one is forced to buy anything. Employees certainly have other options if they want to turn down the offer. They aren't worse off. Seems like something to just give a shrug to and move on.
Fuck that. We SHOULD be pissed at this, people are putting their lives on the line for fucking minimum wage or close to it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Some of you are extremely bitter. Life must be exhausting.
People who have no choice but to put their lives on the line for peanuts and no health insurance thank you for being such a great ally. To show their appreciation, here is 50 cents off some peanut butter, put some on a boot (no discount on that) and go to town.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

My fiancee is one of these "essential" workers.

It's fucking exhausting, buddy. I hope you never have to worry about your significant other possibly dying from a horrible illness so their corporate masters can call them a "hero" and refuse to pay them more than the shit wage they were already getting. I hope you never have to consider marrying someone earlier than you were planning because you might need the right to exercise medical decisions on their behalf.

Fuck out of here with this "oink oink piggies, eat your slop" bootlicker shit.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Actually it is pretty exhausting. Already the job and pay was shit and now theres this constant fear of contracting a deadly contagion. And that "hero" shit? Two months ago people would yell right to your face that you are nothing and now they are patting themselves on the back and feeling warm fuzzies for saying "Thank you."

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still a gesture. No one is forced to buy anything. Employees certainly have other options if they want to turn down the offer. They aren't worse off. Seems like something to just give a shrug to and move on.
It's a craven targeted advertisement offering a basic-ass weekly sale price to employees under the pretense of "good will" and "appreciation." Using a crisis to sell more shit and act like they're "doing their part."

it's gross and insulting that Kroger would give these print outs to employees at all.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
the grocery store i currently work at actually just handed out these coupons to us for a "Free Sandwich" at McDonalds", which is like... at first, similarly, i had the consideration that its a nice gesture. right?
except that 1) the closest McDonald's is at least 20 minutes away (we're one of the only "major" cities in the country that dont have a McDonalds) and 2) why the fuck do you think during a pandemic im going to either want to leave my house for any non-essential reason, and on top of that, go put some other poor "essential worker" at risk so i can get a fucking quarter pounder? are you serious? it would cost me more in gas to go and get that Big Mac.

you cant even say that their hearts are in the right place - theyre not doing it because theyre grateful or the care, otherwise it would be FREE. they do it for the publicity. and not just for Pepsi, i mean: considering how much money a lot of grocery stores are making given the current circumstances, letting employees grab a free beverage or a snack from the shelves at the start of their shift would go a long way. how much are those giant jugs of Poland Spring? a buck thirty? a bag of gummies or a small pack of chips?

its hard not to be bitter when the gesture doesnt really stand up to any scrutiny. its not that theyre really trying their best to do something nice for their "heroes".

(having said that, it would be unfair not to throw a little credit when its due: my grocery store is giving us an extra $2 an hour during all this, which counts for a lot, and they are also running a monthly(?) drawing where if you buy something at the store and hand in your receipt, you have a chance to win a $50 gift certificate for the store. shit like that actually kind of means something, even if they should really just draw a name or three from every employee in the store instead of putting it behind a buy-wall, but whatever.)

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
This is like a 30th birthday card from grandma with $5 in it because she doesn't understand inflation.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
My fiancee is one of these "essential" workers.

It's fucking exhausting, buddy. I hope you never have to worry about your significant other possibly dying from a horrible illness so their corporate masters can call them a "hero" and refuse to pay them more than the shit wage they were already getting. I hope you never have to consider marrying someone earlier than you were planning because you might need the right to exercise medical decisions on their behalf.

Fuck out of here with this "oink oink piggies, eat your slop" bootlicker shit.

Pepsi has nothing to do with how Kroger pays their employees or their working conditions. They're under no obligation to offer any kind of discount on their product.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Actually it is pretty exhausting. Already the job and pay was shit and now theres this constant fear of contracting a deadly contagion. And that "hero" shit? Two months ago people would yell right to your face that you are nothing and now they are patting themselves on the back and feeling warm fuzzies for saying "Thank you."

Shit, many will still yell at you and treat you like nothing

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like obesity is an at risk factor for Covid or anything, hell I can buy so much with my stimulus check money. Thank you Pepsi 🙏🙏🙏
That's 1200 20oz Pepsi's (just take 600 breaks and buy 2 at a time)

resell them at 1.25 and you now have $1500 which you can then use to buy 1500 Pepsi's to resale at 1.25 giving $1875. Then stop there cause accounting will definitely start noticing

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Pepsi has nothing to do with how Kroger pays their employees or their working conditions. They're under no obligation to offer any kind of discount on their product.
I agree.
Though there still a point where a positive gesture can be an insult. Like if you gave a homeless person half of your eaten burrito and talk about how unfortunate they are. You did intact give free food to a homeless person. That's what this feels like.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man, you can't read the room. Just like Pepsi. Makes sense why you're defending the poor wittle corpwite citizen who made a wittle PR fucky wucky by pushing a spweshul discount for hewos who will die to sling their product uwu.

Fuckin' yuck.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
ICU where my partner works received about 500 cans of coke, crates of Easter eggs and numerous other things. It cheers them up a bit as and when they had any spare minutes to actually take a break - to be greeted with a mountain of free fancies. Doesn't absolve any of the concerns or horrors but it's at least something in that moment.

That's free donations though. Pushing a discount directly seems off (over say, stores in general offering discounts for NHS workers).

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
It's a craven targeted advertisement offering a basic-ass weekly sale price to employees under the pretense of "good will" and "appreciation." Using a crisis to sell more shit and act like they're "doing their part."

it's gross and insulting that Kroger would give these print outs to employees at all.
They look like something sent to management, not something that's supposed to be shown to floor reps.
Its real, full of sugar coated fancy PR speak.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, you can't read the room. Just like Pepsi. Makes sense why you're defending the poor wittle corpwite citizen who made a wittle PR fucky wucky by pushing a spweshul discount for hewos who will die to sling their product uwu.

Fuckin' yuck.

They'd be working whether Pepsi gave them a discount or not. People need food. Your frustration should be directed at the government and Kroger for not having PPE for essential workers.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I should only be angry at one thing at a time, and not a weaving-as-we-speak tapestry of corporate rat fuckery and the inability to let a good crisis go to waste so they can market a sugary treat to underpaid, miserable essential workers who are dropping dead.

Has all the shoe shine you've licked off gone to your brain or are you this disingenuous?

So it would have been better to charge them full price?

And why are you so hostile?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Because your comments are really ignorant considering what people are going through right now. You're looking at it through a very privileged lens and aren't even trying to see it from the perspective of an underpaid, overworked person who has to put their lives in their hands 5 days or more a week.

Kroger is a hundred billion dollar a year company. Pepsico makes 60 billion a year in revenue. They are giving people 50 cents off a soda, during a pandemic when we know soda is awful for you anyways.
This is like a 30th birthday card from grandma with $5 in it because she doesn't understand inflation.
Yeah but grandma actually cares about you

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (3 days): Trolling/antagonizing other users. History of similar behavior.
Because your comments are really ignorant considering what people are going through right now. You're looking at it through a very privileged lens and aren't even trying to see it from the perspective of an underpaid, overworked person who has to put their lives in their hands 5 days or more a week.

Kroger is a hundred billion dollar a year company. Pepsico makes 60 billion a year in revenue. They are giving people 50 cents off a soda, during a pandemic when we know soda is awful for you anyways.

Yeah but grandma actually cares about you

I honestly have no idea why this bothers you people so much. Please help me understand why this is so offensive to grocery workers.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They'd be working whether Pepsi gave them a discount or not. People need food. Your frustration should be directed at the government and Kroger for not having PPE for essential workers.
Soda is not food.

If my store handed me a flyer for 50 cents off a soda, as a token of appreciation putting my own and my family's life in danger by working in a market during a pandemic, while still getting paid a shit wage, I would actually crumple up the paper and just throw it back at their direction.

It's fucking insulting.

You really have no clue what grocery workers have been going through holy shit

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I honestly have no idea why this bothers you people so much. Please help me understand why this is so offensive to grocery workers.
It's been explained to you multiple times!

Etc.

These people don't even get health insurance, they barely make any money, and the best that billion dollar companies can do is give them 50 cents off a soda while society holds them up as heroes at the same time.