• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Pepe's been gettin juiced with the antidote for awhile now. The alt-right can't have him as a hate icon.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The alt-right Pepe memes usually feature the smug one. None of the others really have any right-wing ties. You shouldn't consider Pepe a hate icon.

Because the creator of Pepe likes to DMCA offensive Pepe content, most alt-right adjacent folk have switched to using a similar character called "Groyper" instead. It's pretty much another smug Pepe, but fat.
Just did a search for "Groyper" and there's not enough of a difference for me to consider the two distinct - it's clearly just an iteration on the same thing. The same for Pepe's facial expressions.

Same shitty frog.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Just did a search for "Groyper" and there's not enough of a difference for me to consider the two distinct. The same for Pepe's facial expressions.

Same shitty frog.
Yeah, but he doesn't -have- to be shitty. He's only shitty if we let the bad guys keep him. Pepe began life as a perfectly harmless gag meant to make people smile. I hope that in time, we take him back.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I still use Pepe daily as a sticker in the Telegram chat with my gf. It's a great and funny meme.

I'm happy it's getting some positive use.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it's not just Era. Didn't the Anti-Defamation League officially classify him as a hate icon?

I've been using pepe just as a funny emote with my friends for like two years, and it's also common on twitch and discord in general. None of those people are nazis. I didn't know about any of the gamergate stuff until a few months ago when I learned it in an era thread, because I (like most people) don't pay attention to what they're doing.

If gamergate or whatever decided to put mario in one of their memes, would you now have to stop using mario because they turned him into a hate symbol? this isn't a sustainable way of operating. Gamergate didn't create or popularize that character.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, but he doesn't -have- to be shitty. He's only shitty if we let the bad guys keep him. Pepe began life as a perfectly harmless gag meant to make people smile. I hope that in time, we take him back.
Nah, he's long since been shitty and that's stained and stained deep.

I don't care enough about a poorly drawn cartoon frog that I've predominantly seen pushed by dickheads for hate reasons to give any modicum of a fuck about wanting it 'back'.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, he's long since been shitty and that's stained and stained deep.

I don't care enough about a poorly drawn cartoon frog that I've predominantly seen pushed by dickheads for hate reasons to give any modicum of a fuck about wanting it 'back'.
It's the principle of the matter, tho. Pepe started out wholesome, and he should stay that way. What if the alt-right tries to claim and corrupt other wholesome characters like Mario, etc? Do we just let them take whatever they want?

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
We already have the greatest frog.

Dat_Boi_%28resized_50%25%29.jpg

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
It's the principle of the matter, tho. Pepe started out wholesome, and he should stay that way. What if the alt-right tries to claim and corrupt other wholesome characters like Mario, etc? Do we just let them take whatever they want?

I agree. Imagine your favorite character being corrupted by those dickheads.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
They haven't claimed Mario, they've claimed and used extensively a shitty drawing of a frog to the point where I have barely any association to it other than people using it to promoting hate.

The 'principle' argument holds more weight against things like the OK hand symbol where it's globally ubiquitous and predominantly recognised for its meaning outside of hate.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I recall reading that it's illegal to use Pepe as a hate symbol now? Plus Infowars owes Matt Furie like $15,000.

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't claimed Mario, they've claimed and used extensively a shitty drawing of a frog to the point where I have barely any association to it other than people using it to promoting hate.

The 'principle' argument holds more weight against things like the OK hand symbol where it's globally ubiquitous and predominantly recognised for its meaning outside of hate.
Whilst I respect your feeling that the image is irredeemable, I'll say that for many of us, Pepe was a ubiquitous symbol for something entirely unassociable with hate for a long time before it was appropriated by shitheads. I personally would love to see it reclaimed, even if only to take something from them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Whilst I respect your feeling that the image is irredeemable, I'll say that for many of us, Pepe was a ubiquitous symbol for something entirely unassociable with hate for a long time before it was appropriated by shitheads. I personally would love to see it reclaimed, even if only to take something from them.
For sure, if that's your vantage of the character then go for it. I just dislike seeing it because I've predominantly seen it used to promote hate. As a result there's a discomfort in the association. I literally cannot see it as anything else, though obviously don't go off on people that use it in a different context.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do actually agree with this. I used to feel differently and not really care about letting them "have" stuff like Pepe. But just yesterday in fact, someone in my Twitter feed retweeted this really heart-breaking story about 4Chan and the alt-right trying to do the same for them, over a set of cartoon pigeon stickers they originally created for iMessage/Facebook Messenger. It's a long read, but it's really worth the while to understand just how these people work and just how much it messes with completely innocent creators and completely fuck with their lives, from destroying self-confidence to doxxing to denying them revenue on their own creations due to trying to get stuff taken down due to it being linked to hate-speech for reasons completely beyond the creators control, to tons of stuff in between:

After reading all that and seeing how hard they tried to mess with someone for reasons completely beyond their control and how that affected them in so many ways, no way can I agree with the "just let them have it crowd." That's just not right and giving them too much power, power they should never have, and it's that power that's exactly what they want. And indeed, what really struck me when reading that piece I linked was the author mentioning how among the things that helped them get through all that stuff, one of the things that helped was all of the people who loved their creations for completely innocent reasons and just seeing messages about how much they loved them and stuff. I feel kinda ashamed it took me so long to get something that now seems so basic to me, but yeah. No way can I agree with the "just let them have it" crowd after that.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pepe is 100% apolitical on twitch.

monkaS is such a great emote.

And yeah, the smug version is often the alt right icon.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
People do this? I'm pretty sure the majority of people dont lol

some people here do. they don't understand that they pretty much support the other side by jumping at peoples throats like that.

I like pepe and don't care whoever tries to claim it. When alt-right starts spamming whatsapp emojis in tweets, those make us racist too I guess?

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
This is why you should use the lefty pepes
5frPg5V.png

This is sick I need it in emoji form

I do actually agree with this. I used to feel differently and not really care about letting them "have" stuff like Pepe. But just yesterday in fact, someone in my Twitter feed retweeted this really heart-breaking story about 4Chan and the alt-right trying to do the same for them, over a set of cartoon pigeon stickers they originally created for iMessage/Facebook Messenger. It's a long read, but it's really worth the while to understand just how these people work and just how much it messes with completely innocent creators and completely fuck with their lives, from destroying self-confidence to doxxing to denying them revenue on their own creations due to trying to get stuff taken down due to it being linked to hate-speech for reasons completely beyond the creators control, to tons of stuff in between:

After reading all that and seeing how hard they tried to mess with someone for reasons completely beyond their control and how that affected them in so many ways, no way can I agree with the "just let them have it crowd." That's just not right and giving them too much power, power they should never have, and it's that power that's exactly what they want. And indeed, what really struck me when reading that piece I linked was the author mentioning how among the things that helped them get through all that stuff, one of the things that helped was all of the people who loved their creations for completely innocent reasons and just seeing messages about how much they loved them and stuff. I feel kinda ashamed it took me so long to get something that now seems so basic to me, but yeah. No way can I agree with the "just let them have it" crowd after that.

Never actually seen this trash dove before, but yes it's unfortunately easy to taint stuff by association

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Pepe will always just be a good guy who pees standing up with his pants down to me

Have no idea how the baddies made him a hate icon in the west

It's depressing, but literally anything can be made into a hate symbol. The Svastika was a harmless Indian symbol of good luck and wellbeing before the 1930s. :/

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Now THIS i didnt know about, because i remember every hip and young person using the trash dove on fb and it was humorous, then it just died like the wind

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
For what it's worth, Lacoste only had the pin on for one segment.

When the stream came back to the desk, the Pepe pin was gone, replaced with a different one.

Interesting. I wonder what happened between the two segments.

Dominik "Lacoste" Stitpic is European, and I bet he was not aware of the interpretations of Pepe in America and in China. I don't believe the perspective given in the article that Dominik might have worn the Pepe pin in support of Hong Kong protesters. It find it more likely that someone from Valve pointed out the alt-right use of Pepe in-between the segments, and Lacoste decided to wear another pin.

Who knows though? It might be the Chinese staff, or... both.

Maybe related, I remember a video about the Liquid banner on Reddit, I could not find it again so here is the Youtube video.
I think it is Chinese staff making sure there is no message behind the casters. Not the Chinese crowd.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
No one assumes that. Well, maybe a few people in the era bubble, but largely no one does. Use pepe.

This isn't remotely true. Pepe is widely regarded as an icon of the alt right and you are living in denial if you think otherwise.

In a way, the Pepe meme was never yours to begin with. It's earliest use is associated with /R9K/ - aka proto-incel culture, from which it transitioned to /pol/, and the rest is history.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
This isn't remotely true. Pepe is widely regarded as an icon of the alt right and you are living in denial if you think otherwise.

In a way, the Pepe meme was never yours to begin with. It's earliest use is associated with /R9K/ - aka proto-incel culture, from which it transitioned to /pol/, and the rest is history.

I truly don't think "normal" people know that.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have no idea what any of that means, like 99% of people out there. He's just a funny frog.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Trolling, hostility, and inflammatory generalizations over a series of posts
Not really that surprising, seeing as there is incredibly right wing, western imperialist ideology behind a lot of the protests.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
You're telling me that the cartoon frog that's been plastered all over mainstream media for the past two years isn't actively associated with the right and Trump's presidential campaign?
There's a very small bubble of people who think Pepe is a hate symbol and vastly overestimate their reach

It's not commonly associated with being a nazi

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
The story with this fucking frog is some of the dumbest shit Ive witnessed.

Every time I see it explained -

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol you don't know anything about imperialism. It's people who literally want a return to British colonialism.
Lmao. I'm well aware of what imperialism is. The protesters want to stay independent from the dystopian surveillance state that is China. Has nothing to do with wanting back to colonialism. The hell you got that from? Chinese state media?

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. I'm well aware of what imperialism is. The protesters want to stay independent from the dystopian surveillance state that is China. Has nothing to do with wanting back to colonialism. The hell you got that from? Chinese state media?

Where did you get that from? Trump? You seem to think there's an third option where countries aren't controlled by either China or the US/EU lmfao