• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel?

• I’m feel uncomfortable about prices and power draw for the upcoming generations

• Don’t care, power draw and price be damned, put it in my Pc, now

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a current card even exists in my price range. A 4080 is probably going to have a $1000+ MSRP, so I'm not touching that.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't give a shit how much money the 4080 and up cost and how much power they consume, but I want anything in the 4060-4070 ballpark to be efficient and affordable.

The highest tier cards are always a terrible deal in both of those metrics so I'm already not interested in them by default.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Right now the plan is to upgrade to the 40 series. Been on my 1080 for 5 years by the time they release. However I'm not just going to buy it if it's insane prices.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I have never been one to have the top of the range card (and used to opt for the mid-high end option most of the time).

Generally have moved away from PC gaming for a few reasons but the cost of cards these days along with the power consumption doesn't exactly appeal now either.

I believe one high end card could potentially use more power than my PS5, Series X and Switch all combined. Seems wasteful when energy prices here in the UK are so high.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Have a 2070 (non-super) so 100% plan to get a 4000 series card whenever they're available regardless of price (unless they are scalped for stupid amounts).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Geez, I guess I don't have a "high gaming PC" anymore, since I'm still rocking a GTX 1080.

IF I can get a 4080 for less than 850 dollars, I'd probably jump at that.

I already have a 1000W PSU, but I'm not too comfortable in my PC going up to a "less efficient" part of the curve, if that makes sense...

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
No - I take both energy cost and heat output into consideration. If let's say AMD released a much more cooler / efficient card then that would sway my purchase.

Dec 25, 2018
I got a 12g 3080, I won't be upgrading soon. If power draw is ridiculous, I will likely have to upgrade my 850 watt psu but I would rather wait than do that right now.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
3080ti here ... I feel like my graphics card is more than fine for a few good years. Power draw while concerning isnt as big of a factor as the prices are .... I hope to resasonably upgrade my card when the 6/7 series come out.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am fine for now with my 3080Ti which I overpaid an uncomfortable amount already (bought at MSRP, but that MSRP is BS) about a year ago. However, I don't see myself going with say 5080 or whatnot in couple of years if the power draw keeps going up. I'll just switch to the "70" series or AMD equivalent (or hell, Intel maybe). Between GPU pricing, PSU pricing and power draw, that's getting way too much.

Oct 30, 2017
i was all set to put together a completely new PC this year to upgrade from my 1080 build from 2016, but just got a zephyrus g14 instead which i think i'll ride out for a few years until conditions improve. however good the 4080 is i can't imagine it being a sane purchase in the near future.

also i started a new job that requires me to have a monitor/USB-C docking setup at home for my work laptop, so i can just switch them out at the end of the day. i'll want a desktop at some point but i'm happy with this new setup so far, the g14 is a great machine

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I'll upgrade my 2080 for a mid range 4000 and probably a new AMD chip as well. Not paying a premium for the 4s. Going to need new DDR Ram/mobo and PS for it so it will probably be an entirely new build for me.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I'm getting that rumored 100tf 4090ti when it drops. I will probably be able to game with decent performance for a decade or more.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Riding out my 3080 for the rest of the console gen at the very least since it already is significantly more powerful than PS5 and SX. Not to mention with tech like dlss and fsr there is no reason waisting GPU resources on native res thus makes buying more powerful GPU a waste of money especially when PC versions of games are still infested with stuttering and other bullshit developers can't seem to do anything about no matter how powerful a PC is.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'm ready to upgrade my 2080S. If I can get a 4080 at MSRP then yeah, I'll be getting one. I don't care about the power draw.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I don't care. I wanted to purchase RTX30 more than year and half ago, and never got the chance due to crazy prices and unavailability.

Somehow it always end up that I play more on consoles early in gen when they are released, and then switch more and more to PC as more powerful hardware is released. This year I will finally/hopefully upgrade from my 1080Ti, and fully engage all capabilities of my 48" C1. I don't even have VRR now...

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
980 Ti to 1080 Ti got close with a roughly 60-70% increase in performance. And that was at roughly the same TDP. Now that TDP restrictions have been blown up I think it's feasible to see a higher increase. But nothing will be set in stone until reviews hit and multiple outlets confirm that level of performance increase across multiple titles, which is why I'm waiting before I make any plans.

980 Ti => 1080 Ti was two flagship product cycles. They did the 1080 first with a 30% performance improvement, then the 1080 Ti the next year with another 30% or so. The non-Ti 1080 was in the same price band, so it was a direct competitor despite the name differences. They had a product that was 70% better at the time the non-Ti 1080 released, but they chose to release it as the Titan X in a higher price band.

What I'm trying to say is that improvements in performance aren't only limited by the technical side. The business side matters too. Nvidia wants to offer the least amount of improvement in a given price band that will still get people to upgrade. Anything beyond that they would rather save for the next product cycle so they can try to get people to double dip, like they did with 980 Ti => 1080 Ti.

If they do release a card that is 2X faster than the 3080 in this product cycle, I think they will put it in the $1200-2000 range occupied by products like 3080 Ti / 3090. Whether it is named "4080" or "4090" is just marketing at that point. As far as a real 3080 successor, maybe we will get something that is 30-50% faster at $1000. I will not be surprised at all if perf / $ is the same or worse than the original 3080 at $700.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
If they do release a card that is 2X faster than the 3080 in this product cycle, I think they will put it in the $1200-2000 range occupied by products like 3080 Ti / 3090. Whether it is named "4080" or "4090" is just marketing at that point. As far as a real 3080 successor, maybe we will get something that is 30-50% faster at $1000. I will not be surprised at all if perf / $ is the same or worse than the original 3080 at $700.

Reading this and thinking it over more, I will be buying based solely on a price point. I don't see myself paying $1000+ for a GPU but will probably stay in the ~$700+ range whatever that ends up being. It will still be a huge upgrade over my regular 2080.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sticking with my 3090 for this next gen and will see what the following generation brings, hoping Nvidia comes to their senses or AMD finally gets their driver situation under control. I just replaced my Seasonic 1000W PSU with a Be Quiet 1200W one and don't necessarily want to replace that with anything higher lol…

The 4000 series just looks like Nvidia is doing a Fermi again.

I mean, just look at this. AD102 is the die that will be in the 4090 and the 4090 Ti:

Last edited:

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
It depends on the performance data we will see in the 4000 series cards. I usually play in 4k and with ray tracing effects enabled most of the time if available, so im going to upgrade to the latest generation as soon as possible since games keep getting more demanding.

Undervolting will be sufficient for me regarding power consumption. Price is going to sting, but it is what it is. At least i can sell my 3080 later.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed a 30 Series laptop last year as a stop gap given the clusterfuck with desktop components. I could be interested in a high-end 40 Series build if I can do it without being utterly fleeced.

However, if I'm able to hold out to the 50 series, even better. We're still in the cross-gen period, and my laptop handles pretty much anything on that level or older, plus indies, at or around max settings. And I've got both next-gen consoles, which haven't exactly been taken advantage of anywhere near their full potential.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I'll undervolt like I already do with my 3080 ti. But I'll wait a while to upgrade. Just isn't any games that will push it with my setup so it's pointless.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The price/power doesn't put me off but I already have a 3080ti so idk if I'll upgrade next gen or not.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I plan to stick with my 3070 for at least one more generation. The most likely scenario is me upgrading to a 5070, I think.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not super concerned about power draw. More concerned what prices we're going to get. $699 for a 3080 is a bit high, but would obviously depend on performance. Hoping competition keeps things in line. At least crypto is going down.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
I don't think I can vote since both options do not apply to me and I think more nuance is needed.

I'm still gaming at 1080p (I play competitive Valorant, so more frames > higher res for me) and I'm currently on an 5800X and a 3070... if the 40 series can push games like Valorant to be CPU-limited at 1440p then I'll probably upgrade my card, I have been undervolting my cards for the past 5 years, power consumption goes down considerably by doing that.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Power draw isn't really a factor for me. Price though means that since I have a 3090 I don't plan to upgrade for a while. My guess is probably a 60X0 card, but it really depends on when my hardware can't give me the minimum performance I find acceptable or if there is a new feature I need.

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I always get the X070 cards, so power draw is not a big concern for me.

The insane prices over the last few years are definitely a dealbreaker for me, though. Hopefully the recent drops to MSRP are the new normal and not just erratic crypto panic.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Dlss is amazing I just wish it was in legitimately every game 😂🤣
DLSS is a weird case and noticed that a lot. Not every game implements it well if that makes any sense

In Death Stranding, the DLSS is top notch. You don't notice anything different from running it native

Other games with DLSS on, its like you just put vaseline on your monitor

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I always get the X070 cards, so power draw is not a big concern for me.

The insane prices over the last few years are definitely a dealbreaker for me, though. Hopefully the recent drops to MSRP are the new normal and not just erratic crypto panic.

Part of the drops is also because everyone knows the next series is coming out soon. I expect Nvidia to price them higher than the 3000 MSRP for the founders card specifically because they saw what they can get away with.

Same thing we saw with the 3080/3090 Ti pricing.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Won't be picking a 40 series GPU up I'm more than content with my 30 series till the 50 series comes out.
Regarding power consumption I always undervolt/power limit especially now because most of the higher end ones don't even need as much power as they consume.

I have a 3090 power limited to 70 percent and still operating just as well as it would at 100 percent, lost like 1-2 fps total in games.
Brought power consumption and the spikes down from 450 watts to a range between 290-350 watts which is not far off where the 2080ti used to be.
Undervolting also normally gives similar results though in my case the power limit cut a couple of degrees extra and gave me slightly more performance.

Last edited:

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
I got a 2080 Super back when it was new (pre-30 series, pre-crypto). I want to upgrade both for better RTX performance and to get HDMI 2.1 so I can have 4k+120hz+hdr (with the 2080 I can pick any 2).

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heat and price bother me the most. I've had powerful hot cards in the past and most of the time I'd downgraded them to weaker, but cooler running, cards. I'm not getting a 4000 series card. I've even thought about downgrading from 3070 ti founders because of how hot it runs.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I have a nice psu at the moment, an 850w platinum from I think the p2 line of EVGA. Even then I think a 4080 would be pushing it unless I undervolt. But I do plan to do that no matter what since it helps a ton with temps and fan noise. Just don't believe it would be worth the money now that I have a 3080. I think the 40 series will be incredibly overpriced.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I care more about the price than power draw, but if I'm upgrading then I'm upgrading. Starfield looks like that title is what will force me to upgrade and I'll go either 4070 or 4080.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I hope everyone is upgrading their 3080s, so i can grab one for a reasonable price from the second hand market.....

I'm still using my 1080 and it holds up surprisingly well after all this years but i got a new monitor now and it starts to show it's age...

4000 I'm gonna skip. Maybe 5000 if the 3080 starts to struggle by then

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I usually skip a gen and I was able to get a 3090 FE for msrp, so I'm fine skipping the next one.

I never really paid too much attention to power supplies though until I got my 3090. I honestly thought I would be fine with my Seasonic x750 gold but nope, random shutdowns here and there

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
PC gaming to me was never about power, but options. I have 0 need for a 4080 (or a 3080 for that matter)

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Going to use my 3090 for at least 2-3 more years. It's EVGA and I did the thing where I upgraded its warranty to 5 years so I will probably ride that out.

When you factor in that most of the demanding ray traced games also have DLSS I am not worried really. And anything without ray tracing will still get crushed for years to come.

As for power usage, I do not really want anything higher either. I undervolted my 3090 to where it maxes at 350 watts, which is less power use than stock but greater performance. I am not one of those overclockers who downloads the 500 watt bios to squeeze out 2%. Dialing in that efficiency was more interesting to me.

All I care about is being able to run games at high settings at good frame rate with gsync (In other words I am ok with dips into the 50s since it's VRR). And I use a CX so the max my frame rate can be is 120 anyway.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I have RTX 3070 but this 8GB VRAM worries me, i wanna upgrade minimum to 12GB in atleas 1-2 years, i hope Nvidia will use a lot this time (this should've happened for 30xx series.) but i feel like 4070 10GB and 4080 will be 12GB. :/ Well 3080 12GB with good price can be option too. Also my max limit is for GPU 320W.

I kinda wish we didn't go from 1080p to 4k TVs :/ I would GLADLY be gaming on a 1440p tv if they were a thing. 50inch 1440p oled tv and I would've been there

Yeah, really wish 1440p TV was happened, 4K is waste for me too, 1440p can looks so good with good performance as big plus. I hope at least we will see OLED monitors with 1440p in future.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I will ever upgrade my PC further. I only use it to work nowadays. I don't like the experience of gaming on PC. It's too much hassle. I'd rather just buy another box when it drops (PS6/XBOX NEXT/Switch 2 etc).

I might get a capable laptop to keep up with some small indy titles, or just leave the windows ecosystem entirely soon and buy a macbook while my computer slowly becomes obsolete in the background (2080 atm).