• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Escalators are shaped like stairs for a reason.

I like walking, but I understand that people like standing/need to stand. The trick is that both parties think about people other than themselves. Standers, stay to the right, don't stand directly beside your friend, and don't project your bag or arms or whatever out over to the left. Walkers, glower at all the people doing the above. Oh, also, there's a terrible place in hell for walkers that look at their phone the entire time.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
escalators are for people who don't want to walk. if you want to walk, use the fucking stairs.

tumblr_m398d2dFiG1qeh1pdo1_640.jpg

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
please don't invade people's personal space like this.

If people are concerned about their personal space they shouldn't be projecting themselves or their possessions into an area someone else's space needs to occupy to get by.

Like, if it's a single-lane elevator, or the person has crutches or some other medical issue or physically can't help but take up the entire space it's kinda dickish to tap them, yeah. But if they're just standing in the middle or holding their bag out to the side and just not paying attention? Sure, go ahead.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's impossible to properly judge this, but I imagine there are far more lazy people on escalators than impaired ones. Plenty of time in airports is my main frame of reference.

The real bane of my existence is the folks who lean sideways in a way that takes up the entire space so no one can pass. Or keeping your suitcase beside you instead of in front.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My counterargument:
  • just because you're on a machine does not mean your legs stopped function, we all have places to be, everyone should walk, you're gonna be walking in a few seconds anyway

There are a lot of things in society that slightly slow us down because it is for the better good of safely moving traffic forward, ie. stoplights, revolving doors, bike lanes, escalators, etc.

If someone cannot wait 20 seconds for an escalator to move a section of people up or down, then they should plan their time better.

May 21, 2018
escalators are for people who don't want to walk. if you want to walk, use the fucking stairs.

tumblr_m398d2dFiG1qeh1pdo1_640.jpg

This. I use escalators BECAUSE I don't want to walk up a flight of stairs.

If you want to get to the top faster, just use the stairs and let the rest of us who want to travel to the top in comfort do so in peace.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Bullshit. Look at Japan. Everyone stands on one side and walks on the other like civilized people. Dont block both sides. Its common sense. You dont block a hallway, dont block the stairs.

Yup. Some people just don't seem cognizant about their surroundings. Be it talking on their phones or having your entire group block a sidewalk/hallway in high traffic area.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Such a weird argument. Yeah you can be more tightly packed standing but you're also on the escalator longer than if you walk.

The escalator would have to sustain an average walking pace several times that of the moving staircase to justify the extra spacing required by walkers. Standers on the escalator can not only pack like sardines, they don't have to make any extra effort to not block those behind (though admittedly there is still a risk of pileups at the end) and standing is safer as long as the moving handrail is used correctly.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The train ain't waiting for my chilling on the escalator butt

Yes, this is a case where maximizing one variable has undesirable side effects. The people running the station know they could reduce congestion at peak times by having everybody stand on the escalators, but realistically they know it would be a very unpopular policy even if it could be enforced. People like the ability to run and catch a last minute connection.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You need to factor in what happens after you get off the escalator, too. If people who want to move quickly walk up the left and people unconcerned with speed hang out on the right, this naturally moves those that will most likely walk quicker once off the escalator ahead of people who may dawdle, while also naturally placing each party in a lane where they can continue with the same pace.

If everybody all just stands there, suddenly you have cases where both people in front of you may want to walk slowly, while you would like to walk faster, and you will need to somehow navigate around them. Or you may want to dawdle, and it turns out the person beside you does, too, but others behind you want to go fast, so you'll need to move out of the way. And all of this is happening in a congested area where people are forcibly being added behind you.

In other words, you nearly missed your flight because you were late as fuck getting to the airport.

Spoken like someone who's never had a connecting flight.

Last edited:

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
On my way home from work I change at Bank Station on the London Underground, and chances are there's a couple of others on here who have the same routine. There's two escalators, one going up and one going down, plus a staircase in the middle. Problem is, Bank is an incredibly busy station and it gets clogged up so damn easy with people wanting to stand on the escalator, making a 30 second walk become 5 minutes of queuing. And if I take the stairs there's no guarantee that someone else is going to come down them at the same time, and there's only space for one person.

Obviously it's not anyone's direct fault, but I do wish people would pick up the pace a bit and not be so afraid of walking up a bit more when they are physically capable of doing so.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Stand on both sides of the escalator. The others will follow. Counterintuitive as it may seem, this one change will help everyone get to the destination faster, especially when things are crowded.
Fuck THAT. The majority of people standing on the escalator are people who don't care how long they're on the escalator (otherwise they'd be walking). I don't see the point to increasing their "efficiency" at a severe cost to the people who actually care about getting off the escalator faster.

If I see a crowded escalator without a walking space (which happens more in places like airports/train stations/etc. where luggage might be taking up the left side), yeah I will take the stairs if I can. But there are a surprising number of places where there are only escalators for some reason (I pass three sets of these every day on my way to work). Luckily most people understand standing to the right but one of my biggest pet peeves are single lane escalators that aren't near any stairs because literally only one person can delay the whole line.

I also get annoyed when (obviously capable) people take the elevator for one floor.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Escalators were invented so that you didn't need to walk up stairs

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Do people pack up on escalators? I feel they would rather walk up stairs than to pack up on a escalator like sardines. People value their personal space.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
You are a horrible person if you get on with another person and stand side by side

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's annoying, but not as annoying as when a group of two or three people, usually the elderly, spread out in a line and block the entire path in the street at 1 mile an hour so no one can pass.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
In other words, you nearly missed your flight because you were late as fuck getting to the airport.
Plan better, then. It's not another passenger's fault you're late.
Neither of you clowns ever had your plane come in late for a connection or a last-minute gate change? That's not the kind of thing you can control, but I suppose neither of you give enough of a fuck to move just a little to the right to help a person out.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that bothers me is when people rush to an escalator and then stand there. Why were you in a rush to get to it if you were going to be a lazy person afterwards, at least be considerate and move to the side.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
"A highly efficient escalator is one that has the most output—that is, carries the most people to the destination ... To improve the overall system, the system-level efficiency is what should be considered. "

I disagree with the premise of this article that the overall capacity of the escalator is the only real concern here when it comes to efficiency.

A fast-lane allows people who are in a hurry to save time. For a person who is running late the extra minute or so saved on a long escalator could mean the difference between missing a connecting bus or train.

By removing the fast lane as an option then the study proves that you would see some improvements in the overall capacity of the escalator, but counter-intuitively it's also very possible that this could increase the number of people who are actually late.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
  • Standing on the stairs: No movement.
  • Standing on the escalator: Slow.
  • Walking up the stairs: Slightly faster.
  • Walking up the escalator: Fastest.
Some people just feel the need for speed.
I don't know about that I'm pretty sure I can run up a flight of stairs way faster so long as no one is in the way, it's also safer to run up

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't know about that I'm pretty sure I can run up a flight of stairs way faster so long as no one is in the way, it's also safer to run up
The point is you can also run up the escalator and it should be faster than running up the stairs as long as no one is in the way.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
If there's stairs too I'll just take those because it's honestly faster with everyone crowding the escalators

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Article feels like it's missing a asterisk

*when it's busy/at-capacity

Otherwise make room for the guy that's trying to make it to work/catch the connecting train