• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
https://qz.com/1572371/standing-vs-walking-on-escalators-which-is-the-right-etiquette/

The argument:
  • walkers need more space in front and behind them thus reducing escalator capacity, whereas standers can be densely packed
  • 75% of people choose to stand on escalators, so cramming them into the right half to leave the left lane to walkers is inefficient

My counterargument:
  • just because you're on a machine does not mean your legs stopped function, we all have places to be, everyone should walk, you're gonna be walking in a few seconds anyway

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just riding an escalator is one of life's minor pleasures. Getting on, enjoying the view if there is one, trying not to get sucked under at the end.

Don't take this from me.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
https://qz.com/1572371/standing-vs-walking-on-escalators-which-is-the-right-etiquette/

The argument:
  • walkers need more space in front and behind them thus reducing escalator capacity, whereas standers can be densely packed
  • 75% of people choose to stand on escalators, so cramming them into the right half to leave the left lane to walkers is inefficient

My counterargument:
  • just because you're on a machine does not mean your legs stopped function, we all have places to be, everyone should walk, you're gonna be walking in a few seconds anyway
I always walk but saying everyone should walk is very unfair to people less physically able than you.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

The argument:

My counterargument:

Escalators aren't like walking, they're like climbing stairs, and a lot of people can't do that, which is specifically why escalators exist

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Only assuming the fill rate of the escalator is bigger than the actual capacity.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
if the escalator is crowded with standing people I leap catlike onto the handrail my robes billowing around me in a shower of cherry blossom petals and ninja run up naruto style while yelling KYYYYYEHHHHHHHH

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the solution that will satisfy everyone is to have everyone stand but make the escalator 10x faster.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine getting annoyed for the few seconds or minute tops you save by walking on an escalator. Take the stairs if you're in such a rush.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I walk on people movers and I will occasionally close the gap to the next person on the escalator, but walking around people on an escalator is kinda rude.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
When an evacuation is required on the London Underground, the instructions are to stand on either side, not walk. This does make sense in the light of the comparative volume of people you can move with standing only instead of mixed walking/standing. For younger people and the more athletic, this is understandably frustrating. I do recall bounding up the escalator two and three steps at a time when I was in my late forties.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
Always use stairs. It's not worth the risk of them breaking and you ending up taking the ramp for the rest of your life.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it would be most efficient if everyone were walking, so I don't understand

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Bullshit. Look at Japan. Everyone stands on one side and walks on the other like civilized people. Dont block both sides. Its common sense. You dont block a hallway, dont block the stairs.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I walk, but there's the argument that walking on one side of the escalator leads to more frequent need for repairs:
BART says people walking on the left are causing escalators to break faster

Counter argument, rode to Oakland from SF on BART for a james blake concert and stood downstream of a homeless or drunk dude just pissing on the escalator while riding it up. Maybe that's why it keeps breaking. That or shitty contract/money maintenance.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely understand why people would prefer to just stand. I do it a lot as well. But I just treat it like driving. Go the speed you need to go, but if someone else is in a hurry, move to the right and give them space to pass. Costs you nothing and helps them. Super simple stuff.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
In Parisian metro they'll literally punch you in the face if you stand on the left.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I walk, but there's the argument that walking on one side of the escalator leads to more frequent need for repairs:
BART says people walking on the left are causing escalators to break faster
DpxVxXx.png

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

The argument:

My counterargument:

Tell that to all of the elderly people or people with chronic knee issues that can't take the stairs anymore and don't have time to wait for elevators.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Usually when I'm walking on an escalator it's because my train is coming in and I don't have time to go the stairs (they're further away) and standing behind people means I'll miss my train and have to wait 15 minutes.

Like, how fast someone needs to get up an escalator is so contingent on what's up the stairs that it's more about giving people options than reducing the average wait time. It's way the "walk in right, stand on left" is honestly better for most people, at least in train stations.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It only bothers me when people walk up or down huge escalators, especially wrecklessly.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
We really need to be coming after those fucks who stand on the left-hand side. Like, how the fuck do you not realise everybody else is standing on the right for a reason? lmao

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
nah, fuck that. I got a train to catch. And so do many others. you can definitely tell who doesn't take public transit by these responses lol.

stand right, walk left is an international thing for a reason