• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You see this a lot in NYC and it's something that I always think about. What's the point? it's not like staring is going to make the train come any faster. Plus, the train arrives at the same time for everybody. What does having an extra 10 to 30 seconds of reassurance that yes, a train is indeed coming, do for anyone?

Oct 25, 2017
You see this a lot in NYC and it's something that I always think about. What's the point? it's not like staring is going to make the train come any faster. Plus, the train arrives at the same time for everybody. What does having an extra 10 to 30 seconds of reassurance that yes, a train is indeed coming, do for anyone?
It's something to do. Once the train comes I can't watch the rats anymore, now can I?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is almost as bad as the people who lineup to board a plane way before their section is even called. I just do not understand lmao.

konka

Oct 25, 2017

Why does it matter to you at all?

Dec 12, 2017
Because in those 10 to 30 seconds I can hop on the train across the platform.
This is almost as bad as the people who lineup to board a plane way before their section is even called. I just do not understand lmao.
Because the later you board the higher the chance you have to check your bag. This is a big deal for someone with a small connection window.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To read what it says on the front of the train. I'm always unsure of the tannoy and arrival board to what train has arrived. Also, why not, nothing else to do. I get you don't wave down a train like a bus so why bother, guess there is some habit to it.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Better than staring at strangers who seem to get offended if I stare too long.

Better than staring at your phone when you know damn well you're not getting a decent signal like everybody else waiting for the train.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Ever check the delivery status for a package? Ever frantically checked every day that a new game or major new console was getting delivered? It's not going to make it come any faster. WHY DO IT MAN!?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Nah boarding a plane is some bloodsport shit. You don't want to be the first one when all the overhead bins are full lol.
Man i never run into that, but then again i def get it lol.
However a Nice LPT if you check how many seats are left the night before you leave, and it looks close to full there is a very very high chance they are offering to check your bags for free. Ive been on enough flights where it happens nearly all the damn time.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How do you want people spend their time waiting? Do you want them to blindly swipe at their phone until the train comes? Stare at you? Sleep?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I used to do this... then one time I saw a guy do this and fall into the tracks. Luckily, he got out pretty quickly, but it was a bit harrowing for a few moments... and he came kinda nasty close to that 3rd rail.

Ever since they installed the clocks (not on all lines, but close enough), there's no reason to do this... that said, they need to add more clocks all the way down the platform so people can not play a chicken game of decapitation.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
In my city, the bus stops have digital signs that have a countdown timer until the bus arrives. It's far from correct all the time, but I don't think that's the point, but rather tapping into the same thing as this thread, which is people just want more control over their time.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.

I gotta look at something, yeah?

Would you prefer I stare at the wall in front of me or

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool to see the train tracks. It's cool to see the lights coming around a bend. It's cool to hear the train coming. You're thinking really, really hard about nothing. While people look for the train to occupy themselves, you think about what they are doing to occupy yourself. It's really nothing at all.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nah, I did an experiment once. It works. Even better if you can rally up a group to look.

Someone does need to bring a boom box though. I found playing ominous and smouldering sounds work the best.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Cause I'm tired and want to go the fuck home, lmao.

I know it won't make the train magically appear but I'd rather know if's near and position myself as close to the door (and let people get OUT first, I'm not a lunatic) as possible.

Train-chan, where arst thou
You are beautiful like bird
Fast like the cheetah

This makes me feel warm in places I thought were long dead. Bless you.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
To see if it says High Barnet or Edgeware because the signs are often obstructed.

Also boredom and I would rather look at the train than a bunch of depressing ads full of happy people.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I only do that when the platform is crowded and I'm standing at the edge. In those scenarios, I want to know when the trains arriving so I can back up a bit as it pulls into the station.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man I need to look somewhere. And sometimes I'm desperately waiting for that train to come.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
a lot of attractive folk waiting for the train. easy way to look while also making them believe you're a weirdo who is pretending to summon the train.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere between boredom, doing something to pass the time, and a passing interest in looking at cool machinery.

Introvert

Nov 5, 2017

It's so the first thing the slow ass train operator will see when they finally do pull into the station is the scowl on your face. If they see enough people mean-mugging them, they'll pick up the pace.