• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
As in rap songs and culture, when writing those songs a lot of artists aren't thinking about a caucasian perspective. Hence the inclusion of certain words that some people aren't allowed to say. So for people who aren't PoC to say, "just don't include those words," the onus is not on you to decide that or even be a part of that conversation. Especially when it's still commonly use today to degrade us.

Songs are for whomever their fans are, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, etc...
48c.jpg

However, target audiences and demographics are a thing and are involved in the creation process. So no, my statement isn't, "don't listen to those songs," it's "They likely aren't thinking about you while making those songs" in the same way that Plain White Ts weren't thinking about appealing to 70 year old dudes while writing Hey There Delilah. Stop trying to misconstrue my statement. :D

Who are you to decide who can listen to certain types of music? What an utterly stupid statement.
See above.

Last edited:

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Songs are for whomever their fans are, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, etc...
Yeah but it seems like fans can not sing along with them. So you basically belong to a different group then other fans. To me music is creating bonds between people. It creates a group thing, one where you become one with the artist or group and other fans. That's why you have band shirts, fan clubs and such.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'll sing it if I'm alone but usually I won't sing it with other people around, because it would make me uncomfortable. I don't think it's a huge deal and I don't necessary think it's racist. I will definitely censor myself around others but I think it's ridiculous to say that you shouldn't even sing it when you're alone.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Related: When Kanye played ACL back in 2011, he got the crowd (probably 95% white) to sing the MJ line, lol. I can't remember him doing it at any of the other shows I've seen him since but I guess he was feeling a little cheeky that night.

Just found a video of it:

You can hear there were plenty of people singing it the first time without any urging, heh. What a performance that was -- I miss him. :(

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
It's a major plot point of Dear White People on Netflix. I definitely used to sing it and didn't think anything of it but I will stop now.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Who are you to decide who can listen to certain types of music? What an utterly stupid statement.
He didn't say you couldn't listen to it, he said it's not *for* white people. I don't think any hiphop artist is going to refuse your money if you want to buy their albums haha. As a dude who was part of that community and has worked with other artists like I guess I feel lie the least you can do if you're going to be a part of that community is not use that word.

Feb 21, 2019
I grew up in America as a Mexican American, you better believe I'm familiar with that song.

But like... that has no real relation. I don't mind the song at all, and yeah, I've heard plenty of people recite it to be assholes and others just joking around. But that's one comedy song from a movie like 30 years ago that ends with Tomny Chong just yelling "beaners".

That's not like half of popular music today
I know it doesn't. It had just been so long since Ive heard beaners used, it made me giggle thinking of that silly song.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As in rap songs and culture, when writing those songs a lot of artists aren't thinking about a caucasian perspective. Hence the inclusion of certain words that some people aren't allowed to say. So for people who aren't PoC to say, "just don't include those words," the onus is not on you to decide that or even be a part of that conversation. Especially when it's still commonly use today to degrade us.

48c.jpg

However, target audiences and demographics are a thing and are involved in the creation process. So no, my statement isn't, "don't listen to those songs," it's "They likely aren't thinking about you while making those songs" in the same way that Plain White Ts weren't thinking about appealing to 70 year old dudes while writing Hey There Delilah. Stop trying to misconstrue my statement. :D

See above.
This is the stupidest shit I ever read. Lol

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing defines privilege more than "I don't think it is racist, so I am going to do no matter what others say cause I don't want limits"

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it seems like fans can not sing along with them. So you basically belong to a different group then other fans. To me music is creating bonds between people. It creates a group thing, one where you become one with the artist or group and other fans. That's why you have band shirts, fan clubs and such.

I'm gay and I used to be offended at the ''F'' word when I was younger, not because I chose to be or wanted to be, but because I thought that I had to be because that's what others said(mostly Americans online).

I don't personally use or like words like these, and I can't decide what others find offensive. But for me context matters and now that I'm older I can see when someone is saying the ''F'' word with actual ill and homophobic intent and when not. Anyway, that's my two cents on this.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I'm gay and I used to be offended at the ''F'' word when I was younger, not because I chose to be or wanted to be, but because I thought that I had to be because that's what others said(mostly Americans online).

I don't personally use or like words like these, and I can't decide what others find offensive. But for me context matters and now that I'm older I can see when someone is saying the ''F'' word with actual ill and homophobic intent and when not. Anyway, that's my two cents on this.
I agree completely.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty rough being a white rap fan. I was waiting on line to watch a show at the Apollo Theater, and the guy in front of me couldn't even get one line into "The Story of OJ" before people started kicking his ass.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This is the stupidest shit I ever read. Lol
"Lmao target audiences/demographics are a factor when it comes to music?"

if we go on this logic, there's some songs that's only for white people... but no, people will say that's racist.
but doing songs for black people only is not racist somehow.
Can a white person listen to hip hop or rap?
Use your critical thinking skills. Or refer to post #310 👍

Nothing defines privilege more than "I don't think it is racist, so I am going to do no matter what others say cause I don't want limits"
👏

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can a white person listen to hip hop or rap?
Considering some rappers are 100% white, that's a funny question. Anybody can listen to whatever they want, nobody needs permission to listen to music. I don't see Latin rappers which are blowing up these days saying "don't listen to our music if you don't speak Spanish." You gotta be delusional if you think you can just control people like that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Considering some rappers are 100% white, that's a funny question. Anybody can listen to whatever they want, nobody needs permission to listen to music.
Yes you can listen, as no one in this thread has stated that you can't listen to rap or hip hop, but just don't say the n word even if it's in a song. It's really not that hard. People ITT rn:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah but there's a line, you're not going to run on stage and give the musician a hug. You can still enjoy the music and feel a connection if you really need to without using one word. Hell, in all likelihood it's like 1% of any given song that uses it.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I am white and listen to rap everyday and have never said the word while listening to a song with the word in it.

It is not hard to not say a word. It is literally the easiest curtesy a white person can do.

I also don't really sing along to rap songs since I'm a terrible rapper.

Oct 25, 2017
It gets even more complicated when you have white people given permission to use the word by Black/ African American people they hang out with.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if it's rap... or Bob Dylan or Elvis Costello.

I just don't say the word.

I don't think it's too difficult to not say it.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Yeah but there's a line, you're not going to run on stage and give the musician a hug. You can still enjoy the music and feel a connection if you really need to without using one word. Hell, in all likelihood it's like 1% of any given song that uses it.
I disagree with you. If you are into an artist or group you are more inclined to adapt to their thinking and behavior. You even see people wear the same hairstyle and such. You identify with them. And if you are not allowed to say a word then you are de facto out of that group. You are excluded. You cannot say you have a genuine connection anymore.
And I think that music is something that must bring us together not create separation. If this is the case then these artists just have to say who can listen to them and can sing along. Be consequent. But do not say that you can sing and believe the whole lyrics but not say that word. Also, who defines to what group you belong? Some say here that it doesn't depend on skin color. I just want a clear definition who can say it and I mean a strict definition. And I must say that I don't like that some can say words (not only this word but in general) and others cannot say it. To me it only leads to separation and also privilege. In my eyes, we need to come together and not separate. But I would never use it if it hurts the whole the black community. But it seems like there isn't a clear consensus on that. I still find that video of Lamar shocking and I would never support him if I was on stage and he treated me that way. It was also a clear example of what it means if you don't belong to a group anymore to which you want to belong and to a group or artist you love and respect.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I disagree with you. If you are into an artist or group you are more inclined to adapt to their thinking and behavior. You even see people wear the same hairstyle and such. You identify with them. And if you are not allowed to say a word then you are de facto out of that group. You are excluded. You cannot say you have a genuine connection anymore.
And I think that music is something that must bring us together not create separation. If this is the case then these artists just have to say who can listen to them and can sing along. Be consequent. But do not say that you can sing and believe the whole lyrics but not say that word. Also, who defines to what group you belong? Some say here that it doesn't depend on skin color. I just want a clear definition who can say it and I mean a strict definition. And I must say that I don't like that some can say words (not only this word but in general) and others cannot say it. To me it only leads to separation and also privilege. In my eyes, we need to come together and not separate. But I would never use it if it hurts the whole the black community. But it seems like there isn't a clear consensus on that. I still find that video of Lamar shocking and I would never support him if I was on stage and he treated me that way. It was also a clear example of what it means if you don't belong to a group anymore to which you want to belong and to a group or artist you love and respect.
So your argument boils down to white people should be able to say that word because black people saying it creates a natural division. And you're probably going to come back and say "Well, just in song", but following your logic all the way through if division is such a harmful thing why should a word be off limits at all, why wouldn't both white and black people using it bring us closer together?

If you want a strict definition, it's simple: If you are not black, do not say the word. You are not going to shrivel up or melt, I promise you it will not negatively impact your life whatsoever, and in fact it will be a net positive to society. If you're really interested in bridging the gap, us working toward black folks having that word fully reclaimed is a damn good start. I can also virtually promise you, and any black people correct me if I'm wrong, that no black person is going to think bad of you for not saying it, but some will take great offense, and sure they might be some that don't care either way, so it's objectively the best option in the context of taking offense.

I dunno dude, the whole "connection" thing seems like just some high-minded ethereal bs. It's more about feels and not facts.
This isn't complicated.
Okay but what about during a leap year, when Mercury is in retrograde, and you just got back from the beach and have a good tan going, it's okay to say it then, right?

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
It makes me feel uncomfortable, but I'm not that into hip hop where those lyrics are used.

I was at a Belgian festival where Kendrick Lamar performed and it was horrifying hearing an entire field of white teenage girls singing along to that.

I tried to explain it to my (mixed Dutch-minority) friends and they couldn't understand why I had such an issue with that. Funny enough, the most dark skinned of my friends was the most annoyed with the topic. Didn't get it at all.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
ive heard stories of friends not only allowing it, which would be one thing, but actively insisting on it
"Nah man, I'm not comfortable saying that really"

Which is more likely to happen: "Alright" or "YOU BETTER SAY THE WORD RIGHT NOW"

I can guarantee you, I will put my goddamn house on the line, that in 99.999999999999% of scenarios no white person has been forced to use the word.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory commentary concerning racism, prior infractions for trolling.
So your argument boils down to white people should be able to say that word because black people saying it creates a natural division. And you're probably going to come back and say "Well, just in song", but following your logic all the way through if division is such a harmful thing why should a word be off limits at all, why wouldn't both white and black people using it bring us closer together?

If you want a strict definition, it's simple: If you are not black, do not say the word. You are not going to shrivel up or melt, I promise you it will not negatively impact your life whatsoever, and in fact it will be a net positive to society. If you're really interested in bridging the gap, us working toward black folks having that word fully reclaimed is a damn good start. I can also virtually promise you, and any black people correct me if I'm wrong, that no black person is going to think bad of you for not saying it, but some will take great offense, and sure they might be some that don't care either way, so it's objectively the best option in the context of taking offense.

I dunno dude, the whole "connection" thing seems like just some high-minded ethereal bs. It's more about feels and not facts.

Okay but what about during a leap year, when Mercury is in retrograde, and you just got back from the beach and have a good tan going, it's okay to say it then, right?
It creates a division. That is clear to everyone I think. You agree, I hope.
You do not say some words because they are racist, etc... That is not bringing us together that is also separating and very negative.
But you can belong to a group based on different criteria. And to me, if you are fans of someone this creates a bond between other fans. And if you are excluded of saying things then you are out of that group.
Like some say already, color wasn't the metric, now you say that only black people can say it. Which of course leads to other problems. And that has been laid out already on this thread, but nobody likes to pick that up. That's because like so many things it isn't as simple as it seems on the surface.
And it is not about saying that word. I think that anybody can avoid that word. I never ever say it, maybe only if I listen to rap (but that is pretty limited). It is much deeper then that.
But like I said I don't say it and I wouldn't say it if it offends people.
About the connection thing, you gloss over that much to easily and quickly imo.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It creates a division. That is clear to everyone I think. You agree, I hope.
You do not say some words because they are racist, etc... That is not bringing us together that is also separating and very negative.
But you can belong to a group based on different criteria. And to me, if you are fans of someone this creates a bond between other fans. And if you are excluded of saying things then you are out of that group.
Like some say already, color wasn't the metric, now you say that only black people can say it. Which of course leads to other problems. And that has been laid out already on this thread, but nobody likes to pick that up. That's because like so many things it isn't as simple as it seems on the surface.
And it is not about saying that word. I think that anybody can avoid that word. I never ever say it, maybe only if I listen to rap (but that is pretty limited). It is much deeper then that.
But like I said I don't say it and I wouldn't say it if it offends people.
About the connection thing, you gloss over that much to easily and quickly imo.

I promise you that non-black people avoiding the word is not causing any division.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I never say it - I replace it with "neighbour"

How the fuck do you figure?
That I can say peace and the gunshots will cease?
Every cop killer goes ignored
They just send another neighbour to the morgue, etc