• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Consensus

• You're overthinking it

Votes: 1,043 89.0%
  • Everyone couple there went into the theater laughing and talking about you

Votes: 95 8.1%
  • Divorce and then date a guy from Tinder to go see the movie

Votes: 34 2.9%

• Total voters

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Anyone who knows me would consider me an outgoing person. I don't ever get embarrassed and I don't mind eating out alone so I figured seeing a movie alone would be no problem. My husband and I can't find time to see Joker together so we were like "fuck it, we'll just see it separately." I went to the local theater after work yesterday and I'm walking up to the ticket booth and I suddenly see all these couples together. No one is alone. My anxiety shot up and I did a 180.

My anxiety goes up typing this out. My sis already saw it but she agreed to watch it with me like how a mom goes to a school dance with her son. Anyone else experienced this? And if you overcame it, how the fuck and what kind of medication did you take before going?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You just do it?
No different than eating alone at a restaurant. Helps im introverted lol
With movies it's easy since you are not socializing or anything while watching a movie.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gone in with a notepad and acted like I'm a movie critic. It was terribly pathetic, I've only done it once.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just go alone.

I've done it plenty of times. Twice I was the only person in the theater.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Same way I approach everything else being alone I guess. You get used to it when it is the only thing you know.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never done it, but I actually love the idea of it. You don't have to be anxious, people don't care about you. Go and have fun.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
...just buy a ticket online if you are getting anxiety telling a person you only need one ticket?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I do it all the time and often prefer seeing movies alone. I honestly don't understand the mentality that this is something that always has to be a group activity.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it never occurs to me that theres something wrong with seeing a movie alone. i watch movies alone at my house all the time, not sure why that would be taboo at a theater

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer going to the movies alone. It's always better. Same with going to bars/clubs/restaurants. I prefer going alone these days than with people.

I like the idea that I have control over my entertainment, so I want to see a movie alone. That is what I'm going to do.

I feel like people who have insecurity about doing things alone (like seeing a movie or going to a restaurant) have this idea that if they aren't doing something fun and experiencing it with other people then society will call them a loser. That fear is what keeps them back.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of the cinema experience to me is experiencing it with at least one other person. Without that, the appeal of going to the movies completely drops.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the fear coming from OP? What makes you feel uncomfortable about being alone in this situation when you're clearly okay with being alone in others?

Personally, I buy the ticket, walk in and sit down. It's as easy as that.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Both the boyfriends that i had in life only wanted to go to the cinema to make out, so even when i was dating i use to go alone because i actually wanted to see the movie. Now that i'm alone i go no problem tho,i cross couples everyday on the streets, is not like it would be that different on a cinema room.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they are looking at you, talking behind your back, and laughing at you... why does it matter? You're never going to see them again. Fuck them and focus on the movie you came to enjoy.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I purchase a ticket on Fandango, drive to the theater, scan the barcode, go to the theater and sit down to watch the movie?

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I show the person who works there my ticket, walk into the cinema screen that my film is showing in and I sit down and watch the film. People care way too much about what other people think.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, that's like the opposite of anxiety inducing for me. Two hours of not having to make eye contact with anyone, and a societal expectation to remain quiet? Sign me UP.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean who goes to the movies on s Tuesday anyway :p

Jking but who cares, stop overthinking it..anyway I rarely do see many people at the movies on weekdays especially morning so that's a good time to go if you're that self conscious...

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I do shit alone all the time - eating out, movies, concerts. I never considered there to be anything wrong with it.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Think about the last time you were in a theater and thought to yourself "wow, that person is here alone, how sad", chances are you can't recall a situation like this because you are a halfway decent person and nobody actually gives a shit.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I truly don't understand why this is so hard for people. You're not talking to the person you go to the movie with until after it's over, so what difference does it make if you go by yourself or not?

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you actually take notes? Maybe flip angrily between pages at some point?
It was for Alvin & the Chipmunks. Nobody would watch it with me and I noticed only children were walking in so I went back to my car, grabbed a notepad, and started fidgeting in the back - acting like I was annoyed that I had to sit through a kids movie, being the influential movie critic I was. In reality, I was having the time of my life watching My Name is Earl and Tobius Funke talking to CGI rodents.

I randomly think about it and smh.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Buy ticket (optional: use app). Walk in. Sit down. Enjoy! Leave.
It was a big hurdle for me years ago but when I got over it my movie-going life was transformed for the better.

Just do it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Stoned, but just because it makes me depressed to know that there's basically an entire room of couples and I'm the only one not there.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you just do it

it's honestly never been easier to do, a lot of theaters nowadays have reserved seating so you don't have to show up early for a seat and cell phones exist so you can pass the time before the lights go down. sometimes you'll be next to some cool people and you can make conversation. you like the same movies after all! and then the lights go down and it doesn't matter who's with who and then they come back up and you leave. easy peasy

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
People do plenty of stuff alone inside their home. It's not necessary to have someone tag along just because you venture outside.

I watch films with other people and go alone when my schedule sees fit. Never really think about it.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've gone in with a notepad and acted like I'm a movie critic. It was terribly pathetic, I've only done it once.
This is funny. Did you jot down stuff while muttering to yourself just to keep up the charade or did it end at the props? I need to know!

Edit: oh, you did! :) Not mocking you, it's just a fun and good story.

Last edited:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It was for Alvin & the Chipmunks. Nobody would watch it with me and I knew only children were walking in so I went back to my car, grabbed a notepad, and started fidgeting in the back - acting like I was annoyed that I had to sit through a kids movie, being the influential movie critic I was. In reality, I was having the time of my life watching My Name is Earl and Tobius Funke talking to CGI rodents.

I randomly think about it and smh.
Lol brilliant, I've done stupid shit like this too due to anxiety, so don't think I'm mocking you or anything. Was just wondering how much you committed to the act lol.