• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it pretentious to call yourself an artist?

• No

Votes: 496 67.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 142 19.4%
  • Nickleback has a certified diamond album and we should respect their artistry

Votes: 83 11.4%
  • Leader of Men

Votes: 10 1.4%

• Total voters

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
If you have seen some of the stuff that sells for tens of thousands of dollars in the contemporary art world then I think you wouldn't scoff at musicians, no matter how mediocre, calling themselves artists.

looooooooool for fucking real.

if you make art, you're an artist.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
Is music not an art? You even made the distinction of your examples being VISUAL arts, which implies there are other categories
Yes? That's why I specifically pointed out that even something like a podcast can be art. I'm assuming the OP is in a tizzy because of a musician using the umbrella term as an artist. Unless they are saying an artist can only be labeled as such if some subjective merit is approved earning that title.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If a guy builds a house, no one's going to have a problem calling him a carpenter.

If a guy builds a bridge, no one's going to have a problem calling him an engineer.

If a guy codes a program, no one's going to have a problem calling him a programmer.

If a guy makes art, apparently he's a jerkass if he calls himself an artist.

Raggie

Oct 16, 2018
I make toys professionally, and I call myself an artist. It might feel pretentious to a lot of people, but that's what I feel I am. It's not fine art, or important art, but it is an expression of my creativity and technical skill.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Like I can see how it might seem pretentious to call yourself a virtuoso, or a master, or a luminary, or any of the other superlatives that people sometimes use to refer to artists who are especially prolific, masterful, or otherwise exemplary in their field, but... artist has no baked-in assumption or quality, success, or anything else. It's like calling someone on a sports team a "player" or a "competitor".

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its my job wtf do you want me to do lol

Your problem isn't with the term, its with people

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In itself no, but I consider most people who say it to be overstating their abilities. Many actors, musicians etc take credit for other people's work and call themselves an artist. I don't think an actual artist should do that, regardless of their natural talent.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
first off, it's pretty hard to define what an artist is because it's pretty hard to nail down a definition of art.
But then how do you call a person creating pieces for other to experience something new with their senses?
And probably even that is a very restrictive definition.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
first off, it's pretty hard to define what an artist is because it's pretty hard to nail down a definition of art.
But then how do you call a person creating pieces for other to experience something new with their senses?
And probably even that is a very restrictive definition.
There is generally a more prosaic term to describe yourself, painter, musician, writer etc.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There is generally a more prosaic term to describe yourself, painter, musician, writer etc.

I mean, the fact there are more specific terms doesn't remove the value or applicability of the general term.

Like the existence of the term "footballer" or "pitcher" doesn't mean people can't be called "athletes".

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I mean its my job wtf do you want me to do lol

Your problem isn't with the term, its with people
This is actually true for me. When I read the OP I was just thinking about Hollywood celebs, who like to lecture people without realizing their position in society. My friend does special effects and I wouldn't even bat an eye if he called himself artist.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Title" and "Artist" are standard music industry terms. Artist is AFAIK the only term which neatly covers both solo artists and groups.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't mind it because music uses so many skills that calling yourself an artist is easier than saying "As a writer, composer, musician and producer...."

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
If a guy builds a house, no one's going to have a problem calling him a carpenter.

If a guy builds a bridge, no one's going to have a problem calling him an engineer.

If a guy codes a program, no one's going to have a problem calling him a programmer.

If a guy makes art, apparently he's a jerkass if he calls himself an artist.
But what is art? All three of those example professions could also be described as forms of artistry! Creativity is required from all of them.

Is it that those example professions require function, standards, and templates over form, free thinking, and expression?

In which case, if you are following the template of what it takes to be a best-selling musical act, which is the case with many in these modern times, then is it accurate to describe all musical performers/acts as "artists"?

I would say that by certain logic and to varying degrees, everybody is an artist.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I get paid to do art. The word is in my job title. I am by all official standards an artist.

Even if I wasn't getting paid, I could still be an artist.

Same here. There was a time I didn't get paid, but I was still an artist, just a struggling one (still am sometimes)... I was not pretending, which is what being pretentious means.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I'm a graphic designer for my full time job, i love drawing and have played guitar for 10+ years being in a few bands here and there. I don't think its pretentious but i am creating art so therefor i am an artist. Plus i skateboard too, that's pretty arty.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
But what is art? All three of those example professions could also be described as forms of artistry! Creativity is required from all of them.

I would say that by certain logic and to varying degrees, everybody is an artist.

Yeah I'm gonna cut you off here even though I know you've got some spicy-hot philosophy coming:

Yeah, those dudes can all call themselves artists, and that's fine. That's sort of the point. It's fine to call yourself an artist. It's fine to be an artist. It's not the least bit pretentious. This doesn't require any great ruminations on the nature of art and our place in the universe, it's just art. Just do it, nerd.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that there is no possible way to ever do anything artistic or assume the identity of an artist and the stuff that comes with that without sounding pretentious so some people. Do they just... i don't even know. Do they just don't give art any value whatsoever? I don't get it. Artists are artists like engineers are engineers. I don't even get this thread. It's 10am maybe that's it. But still. What the hell.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
No, it's not pretentious but I get exactly where you're coming from. There is definitely a type of person who puts way more value and importance on their own work than its actual worth.

When my friend paints a mural on the side of a local community centre and calls herself an artist, fuck yeah she is, awesome work. When Kanye talks some bullshit about being the second coming and calls himself an artist, he can go get fucked.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I wouldn't call myself an artist, but I would say that of others who do the same thing, so I grudgingly have to accept that maybe I am. Maybe. Possibly.

I understand the reluctance.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
You might be an asshole but I think I get what you are saying. A musician should leave the artist label to define someone who paints, sculpts or any other visual art. But it's not like a podcaster is smugly throwing around the idea that they're an artist, even though that would be just as accurate as any musician being an artist.

...why?

The words painter/sculpter/illustrator etc. exist as well, yet desbring oneself as an artist is off the table for musicians specifically?

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
I make toys professionally, and I call myself an artist. It might feel pretentious to a lot of people, but that's what I feel I am. It's not fine art, or important art, but it is an expression of my creativity and technical skill.

You are an artist, and you're not pretentious. This thread is silly.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Imposter syndrome is bad enough as is, please don't give people shit for stating who they are and what they do. Everyone who picks Option 2 here is a judgemental asshole and has a disregard for art. Artists get little enough respect as is, don't do this.
What's next? You can only call yourself a painter if you're up there with the greats? Fuck outta here with that gatekeeper shit, especially so if you never made a thing in your life.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
My problem with the term "artist" is that it's a meaningless term. Defining yourself an artist means absolutely nothing, if you take it as "doing something that requires skills and training" as "being an artist". I much prefer terms like "artisan" and all the terms for those who do their own job "artfully". I'd leave the "artist" noun to people in the fine art world, literature, poetry and song writers; even singers most of the times are just performers. I seriously cringe at the pompous actors.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
In general if you're the kind of person to say some kind of behaviour or thing is pretentious, you're probably being pretentious yourself.

no u

But seriously, that's true. "Artist" isn't actually a controversial label, and is a label based solely on what one does. A bad artist is still an artist. Not personally liking or valuing the work of a particular artist doesn't mean they aren't an artist, and if the label bothers you (royal you) that's entirely your problem.

"I'm an artist" = not pretentious

"Excuse me? You call yourself an artist? I don't think so buddy. Could you be anymore pretentious? Ugh, that's so annoying!" = incredibly pretentious

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
46d73c3cc50fa32e0e1d8c2a38007477.gif

Era strikes again.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a friend who makes paintings, sketches, and sculptures for a living. What else should she call herself?

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I can see you doubting some random indy guy that does some sort of art that is hard to comprehend but Chad Kroger has all the rights in the world to call himself an artist lol

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's just a job description. I don't think my plumber's pretentious when he says he's a plumber so why would I think an artist noting they're an artist is pretentious? If' you're a bona fide artist how else are you supposed to describe yourself?

Caveat: there are exceptions which can normally be identified in context when the artist is using it to be pretenious and in my experience 99% of the time it's someone who want's to be, but clearly isn't, an artist using it - being pretentious is on the individual though and anyone can be pretentious artist or no (except me)

Jul 24, 2020
In music? Its completely normal to refer to yourself as an artist. Im not sure if maybe rock/alt musicians dont usually but pop R&B, soul etc "musicians" call themselves ...artists.

Legit I'm even trying to think what say even is an R&B musician. Lol.

---

More broadly though would we consider someone like say Hideo Kojima or Steven Spielberg artist?

I would be definition of the term.

But if they started referring to themselves as solely as artists though I probably would chuckle.

So my answer is.... I don't know. I guess it depends on the area of art, who is saying it, and maybe how they're saying it.

From reading Mr. Nickleback guy I probably wouldn't have batted an eye but that's just me. Maybe it was his tone in the video or something?

---

Interestingly I once met some writer .... who didnt like referring himself to being a writer :/

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
If they make art it's not really different from a carpenter calling themself a carpenter. I don't see why it would bother me in any way.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remind often my art-field friends that most artists' relevance begins when they are dead.

(I studied fine arts on college and hold several degrees in illustration and design, I don't call myself an artist)