• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was it?

• Soild

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Not the best but perfectly playable

Votes: 36 40.4%
  • Okay/good at first but it got worse as I played more

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Playable but bad and not fun

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Unplayable

Votes: 14 15.7%

• Total voters

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I have heard pretty different things about Bloodstained on the Switch, some say is terrible some say it's playable and some that it's good, so I want to have a better idea hearing opinions in a more direct way and not some random comments.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
It's not the best way to play, but it is playable if you can handle frame drops, input lag, and missing visual effects.

Input lag is the biggest problem but is one you can adjust to over time.

Ideally we got the major patch soon and see what kind of improvements/fixes they managed.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I played about an hour and a half and didn't notice the input lag myself.

I only noticed the visual differences compared to the PS4/XB1/PC versions when looking at the side by side videos

Oct 25, 2017
I played a good chunk of the Switch version and thought "this is fine." Then I got the game on the X1X via Game Pass and was like "yeah, it actually wasn't." I don't mind the graphical issues on the Switch, but the input lag makes the game feel just sluggish enough to be a lot less fun.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's... hard to describe how I felt on it, honestly. There was only ONE section of the game that I felt was absolutely awful and it's the upper-mid section of the outside part of the Twin Dragon's Tower. That was literally the ONLY place I legit had issues because of technical reasons. The frame rate literally dropped to the point the game slowed down (guessing 10-15 range?). I had to go back there to get some items I missed and holy hell was that bad.

Curiously enough, the one end game boss that would choke the PS4 and Xbox One's, curiously was fine on the Switch. I'm guessing the effect was already simplified so there was no issues, but that caught me off guard. Was expecting the Switch to absolutely have a meltdown when it used that attack and it... didn't.

Having said that, most of the issues were visual faults or just issues that were present on the other versions (bookshelf and crafting crashes). The only real annoyance was the minor control lag, which I know they're working to fix, but it never really negatively impacted me (played w/ joycons, docked, w/ a capture card that has some minor lag, plus a TV that introduces more lag on top of that, so it's doable, just not optimal). Think it only made doing one or two jumps awkward, but that was about it. Still, it's at least being fixed.

One thing I do hope they can kinda sort out (graphical glitches and what I mentioned above aside) is the transitional load time between two rooms, which are both annoyingly where you have to jump into. My only guess is the only way they could partially fix it is by unloading and streaming in assets in the room prior to it, and then finishing loading once you get into the room, but that's just a guess on my part. Still annoying that they happened to be in the worst possible area that could cause the problem.

With all that said and done... I finished it and enjoyed it more than I hated the experience. But yeah, there's issues that absolutely need to be addressed.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I backed the game on Kickstarter for the PS4 version day one, but changed my reward to Switch when that became an available option. If you have any other option I would stay far, far away from the Switch version. It's less about framerate issues (I generally don't mind stuff like that; I've been playing Risk of Rain 2 and having an absolute blast even when it tanks on Switch, and the Link's Awakening complaints fall on deaf ears for me) and more just the input delay. I would have probably just given up on the game entirely thinking that's how all versions felt, but I tried out my backer Steam demo again and it felt great there. So I traded in my Switch physical copy and just bought PS4 digital and it was one of my favorite games of the year.

The PS4 version still hard crashed on me (twice I think in a 100% run compared to at least three times just in playing the Switch version for around 5 hours), still had some weird loading time issues along with a mess of other technical issues. But it never bummed me out the way the Switch version did. I understand people's tolerances are different for things, but there's no way I could have stomached trying to finish the Switch version in the state it was (and apparently still is) in. I would also just prefer less people buy the Switch version on principle, though I say that as a dummy that backed the game at a $100+ level and then still had to spend another 40 dollars to get a playable version of the game.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I put 50 hours in, my goty so far. Played it without doing any comparison to other versions and had a blast. It had some jank to it but ultimately was more than the sum of it's parts.

Deleted member 19868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I backed it for PS4 but ended up changing to Switch shortly before platform choices closed when my PS4 (and PC) died. I really regret that choice because I've had every single documented problem and bug happen to me during my playthrough even after the patches they did release. Backgrounds disappearing, getting knocked out of a room by an enemy which caused me to get stuck in geometry, frequent crashes (and not just when reading a book or opening a chest), missing text, lengthy loads between rooms, wildly inconsistent frame rate that would dip into the single digits in the Twin Dragons Tower, desert, and water areas... it was a mess for me. I haven't played a game that felt this rough and unfinished in years. If it had only been the input lag and muddy visuals, I could have coped, but putting all those things together results in a port that made me very disappointed and sad.

I can accept that people who had way less of those things happen might have a more positive opinion than I did. I just seemed to get hit with the whammy for some reason.

Played off a retail cart, if that helps. I haven't had these problems with any other Switch game I've played this year so it's not the hardware.

I do think the way the between-room loads in Livre Ex Machina are inexcusable and I never hear anyone mention them. It was unnerving to wait on a black screen for 15-20 seconds while hoping the game hadn't crashed.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I am fine with the visual but input lag is something I wanted them to address.
That said the game is perfectly playable. I 100% it and loved it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
It seems playable(though visually it is rough), but I backed it and spent only about 30m at launch before deciding to wait on the fixes. Haven't touched it since.

Just not in a rush to bother if eventually there is a chance it improves.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played from beginning to end with little to no issues, I had 1 or 2 crashes, frame rate was fine imo

Oct 25, 2017
The input lag is really rough. I backed it and honestly traded in my copy to EBGames to pick up a PS4 version instead.

Playing it for two hours was enough for me to not want to touch it again in that state.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
People tend to focus on the negatives because they think the positives are a given and don't need to be mentioned.

So I'm gonna say this:
The game is perfectly playable. The major issue is the input lag, which you can get used to.
There are frame drops below 30 occasionally but it's never too much.

You still get one of, if not THE best IGAvania ever made and it's gonna be a lot of fun.

And I should probably add that I played through both the PC version and Switch version.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Put 5 hours in before I couldn't take it anymore. The game just looks like muddy shit and performs so bad, I could no longer stand it.
And I'm far from framerate or graphics snob, I played 105 hours of Fire Emblem and that game looks like ass. Bloodstained on Switch just looks that bad.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On handheld visuals are ok, on tv not so much. Frame rate really tanks in a few places but didn't mind that much. Input lag is the biggest issue but managed to get to last boss (on normal, maybe it's a bigger issue on harder difficulties) without major issues.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I played the whole thing on Switch and loved it, easily one of my 2019 GOTY picks. I say go for it if you want it handheld or don't have other options.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware of performance issues before I got it and that's my fault. I preordered it on Amazon such a long time ago I forgot and one day it just showed up. I wasn't able to finish it. It really tried my patience. If a patch comes to fix it, would be more than happy to tackle it again on the switch lite. I think that'd end up being a more enjoyable experience.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Flawed but the online outrage around the port was in my experience overblown.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's your only way of playing it I'd say go for it. I regretted it immensely as I could've played it on PS4 for the same price, but I thought the portability would make up for it. The game has an absolutely awful frame rate, it will crash many times, is blurry as all hell on top of a plethora of bugs you'll encounter. With this type of game/combat style a solid frame rate would have done wonders to the experience.

With that said though I though the game was excellent, very addictive with such a great RPG loop going on. The more you explore and kill, Miriam gets significantly stronger and it's very satisfying to eventually become so OP nothing can even touch you. I also loved the B-movie type of story going on, it's cheesy but pretty charming. I'm retrospect honestly it's one of the best games I played all year, just a shame I didn't experience a better version.

GhoulOne

Mar 4, 2018
I finished the game when it first came out and had no issues. The complaints are ridiculous, it might not be a perfect port but it plays just fine

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
It crashed on me multiple times in the first few hours. The one time I tried to play it undocked it ran in slow motion, literally. I pressed the jump button and Miriam looked like she was suddenly underwater, and everything was unresponsive. I stopped playing it pretty early on and have not gone back to it.

Since it was originally going to be on Vita and Wii U I chose Switch with some confidence, but jeez.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Does this game have high-replay value?

I'm definitely going to wait until the patch launches before buying- I really thought the graphics would be on par with PS4/Xbox but the crashes... these need to be squashed!

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i'm still in therapy to deal with my experience of playing it on the switch for a few minuntes.