• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you switch from PlayStation to Xbox or vice versa

• Yes

Votes: 358 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,166 76.5%

• Total voters

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I have a high end PC so there's very little chance of me buying an xbox any time soon, beyond this gen who knows but I'd say it's unlikely unless something drastic changes with playstation

I bought a 360 like 2 years before PS3 so it can happen

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't pay $60 for games anymore so Xbox for me. GP provides more than enough content then I have time to play.

Everyone can do as they please but for me that isn't possible at all.

Right now i'm playing Final Fantasy VII Remake and finished Doom Eternal and Resident Evil 3 Remake a few days ago. Outside of FF7 these games are also available on Xbox and PC so this isn't so much about exclusives but more about available games.

Game Pass has nothing i want to play that i haven't already played in the last few years when the game in question launched. I always buy day 1 and digital most of the time. I like to see developers get as much money as possible from me for their hard work. Sometimes i even double dipp (i tripple dipped for doom 2016).

The last game i played on Game Pass was Gears 5 (loved it). Ori i will play sometime after i finish the first one (backlog baby) and Gears Tactics is something for when i don't have anything to play (but that wasn't the case for years now...).

Game Pass is awesome for people who don't buy games day 1 or want to try something out of their normal genres. I personally couldn't play only the few games they offer. I need/want to play the games that interest me day 1 and not years/months later.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I did switched most of my gaming life. Am a Nintendo kid in the 8bit days, didn't buy 16bit stuff but was rooting for Sega then, bought a Saturn in the 32bit days due to Capcom fighters (and secretly wished I got a ps1 because I am envy of all the square jrpgs and Tekken 3), was a PC gamer from the ps2 till the early PS3 days, bought a PS3 slim in the middle of that gen because I really want to play those Sony 1st party exclusive like uncharted and now, then obviously just migrate over to the PS4 till now. I did 'switched' though in that I bought a switch too to play Mario Odyssey and smash to compliment my PS4 gaming :P

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
If the console has no interesting first parties why would I be intersted? I don't care about how great your services are if the games aren't there. For me games first always. Consoles have always been about the games.

A system with likely few to no exclusives I'd want to play.
Well we'll see what they have to offer in a couple of months lol. The rumblings from insiders is pretty exciting though.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Game Pass is awesome for people who don't buy games day 1 or want to try something out of their normal genres. I personally couldn't play only the few games they offer. I need/want to play the games that interest me day 1 and not years/months later.
I haven't bought an Xbox exclusives day 1 in months and I'm pretty sure I'll never have to again.

You have a backlog but buy games day 1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ by the time you get to some of those games they end up on gamepass anyway.

Oct 28, 2019
This thread is hilarious. And some people say there is not Sony bias here. LOL. I can't wait for next gen It's going to be the best heavyweight fight since early Nintendo v Sega. Everyone should launch on their game. Hopefully no stupid mistakes just who is better. I get sick of reading about exclusives like each one on a Sony platform is guaranteed money and all on Xbox are trash. I can't wait till we can start really comparing pros and cons and actual games, not the potential for actual games.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Always been a PS guy. I buy the occasional Nintendo console as well, but if there is a Playstation, I don't need a Xbox console.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had every Playstation so far, but I'll probably skip the PS5. PS has been losing more and more exclusives with generation, and the ones that I care about (Ratchet & Clank, GT and Everybody's Golf) are on a decline.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have a backlog but buy games day 1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ by the time you get to some of those games they end up on gamepass anyway.

There're too many games to play for me and just because i have a backlog with games i want to play someday i won't wait to play new games i really, really want.

I have a backlog for every system i've ever owned. I could stop buying new stuff for 1-2 years and wouldn't need to buy one new game.

But i simply can't wait to play Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us 2, Psychonauts 2, the new Fable, etc. just because i want to play Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 again some day or try the dozens of visual novels, jrpgs, etc. i really wanted to play one day. I played most of the titles i really, really wanted to play already. There're just many, many more games waiting on the bench for me to call them up.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is hilarious. And some people say there is not Sony bias here. LOL. I can't wait for next gen It's going to be the best heavyweight fight since early Nintendo v Sega. Everyone should launch on their game. Hopefully no stupid mistakes just who is better. I get sick of reading about exclusives like each one on a Sony platform is guaranteed money and all on Xbox are trash. I can't wait till we can start really comparing pros and cons and actual games, not the potential for actual games.
Lol indeed ;) you just made this thread a whole lot funnier :)

Thank you!

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I will get a PS5 just like a PS4 but nah, I aint making it my main platform. Having all the platforms is always the goals because games <3

Playstation will be my third choice just like it is now.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
No. I've been with PlayStation since the PS1 and I have too big of a digital library built up to just leave it now. I don't have enough free time to justify owning both consoles so I plan on sticking with the PS5 moving forward.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

This thread didn't asked "You would switch from PS to Xbox?". Xbox people also wouldn't switch the platform they are invested in for a few games or a bit more power.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Gamepass, coupled with Microsoft's first party expansion, every game there day 1. Ridiculous value for money.

I will be getting a series x first and the ps5 down the line.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
PS5 for sure. The exclusives have me locked in. Nothing I have seen on Xbox side so far has impressed me software wise.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
All my real life friends that I grew up playing games with are on Xbox primarily. They're so integral to my gaming experience it wouldn't be the same without them.

Oct 25, 2017
Primary playstation.

For me to switch at this point would take Sony first party to really just put out shit games, and Xbox putting out strong NARRATIVE FOCUSED story based games.

Games like sea of thieves and whatever MP games do zero for me.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
It looks like I'm switching next gen. I've had all the Playstations and never had an Xbox but I've generally liked their attitude since Phil took over. There's nothing really in the 1st party market of PS or XBox that floats my boat any more so that's not a factor holding me back, and I am enjoying PC Game Pass so a single sub would be nice.

I also half wonder if they will hold back Minecraft + Ray Tracing from the PS for a while as a way to sell systems. My kids re hankering for that

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I like multiplayer games and Sony doesn't care about making those games. I doubt that I will ever but another PS until they fix that tapping hole in their line up.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
No. PlayStation has been a proven brand for quality games that appeal to me For over 20 years. Xbox has nothing to offer me as a competitive platform were I to choose only one, and furthermore i already own a PC making the Xbox platform redundant at best in the case that MS miraculously made a game that was actually appealing and well made and didn't involve cars.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I bought a 360 fist and then a PS3. Enjoyed the PS3 more. Eventually got a PS4 and an X1 to try to see if Microsoft could hold me still. Wound up selling it after a year of dust collecting. It's just PlayStation and Nintendo from now on.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Not really for a few reasons. I have a ps4 but never find myself playing it.i moved in 6 months ago and havent set it up again yet. Most games i find myself playing are old or semi retro so I either play them on xb1 bc or switch.
Also i want new entries in the franchises ive kept up on like halo and gears and am every e3 praying for a new banjo kazooie that is a platformer.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Just cant see myself switching from Playstation. Playstation first party studios have to drop the ball so unbelievably hard for me to ever consider picking up an Xbox.

Oct 31, 2017
This is my second post in this thread 'cos I felt my first post didn't explain my position well...

I've been on Playstation since the PS1. Before PS became my primary console platform I was a SEGA guy and owned all the SEGA consoles up to the Dreamcast. I've always been a PC guy as well. When SEGA went belly up I shifted all my console gaming to the PS consoles and haven't looked back since. I got a 360 as a gift but never really used it since all the games I wanted to play on it were always on PC. Now that MS has the play anywhere thing going on I have zero reasons to ever own an Xbox.

I've not been impressed with MS offerings this gen but if they start having some amazing games next gen I'll have a PC to play them on. Right now I plan to get a PS5 on day one and I'll always be upgrading my PC to the latest and greatest hardware my budget will allow. Between those two I feel like I have all bases covered. I'm gaming on PC and PS4 Pro now and I don't miss out on any games I want to play. My next purchase after PS5 will probably be an RTX 3080 and a Nintendo Switch (Pro? hopefully). Sony hasn't let me down in over 25 years of me gaming on their platform so unless they completely fail on every level going forward I will not be switching to Xbox. PC and Playstation should continue to be my primary platforms like they've been for years.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Not really. Mostly on Xbox bc my friends all play there and game pass. I'm gonna get both systems but most likely the ps5 first if the spiderman rumors are true.

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who purposefully stuck with a console is missing out on some amazing games. Never understood that sentiment.

I got a One X for quite cheap a year ago. Such a refreshment after Sony exclusives. A fucking world opened up for me.

Haven't decided which one to get first, but I will absolutely grab the other console as soon as I can.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, it's all about exclusives for me and I'd switch in an instant if Xbox got some good ones. Loyalty to a particular brand of electronic toy is not for me. Unfortunately, the scenario of Xbox getting a stable of exclusives that can compete with Sony doesn't seem very likely for my tastes.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see myself leaving Sony behind for the Series X, if the price is right (the specs certainly are).

I'm a fan of good open-world and action RPGs, so most of the Sony first party titles do not appeal as much to me. Xbox first parties might just take the cake next gen.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Never say never. I didn't think I would ever switch off Nintendo after exclusively owning Nintendo consoles for the first 28 years of life. But I bought a PS4 this gen and haven't bought a switch.

so I although it's very unlikely, I can't say I would never buy an Xbox.

casnix

Apr 19, 2018
New Hampshire
Sony would have to royally screw up like they did with the launch of PS3 or Microsoft with the launch of X1. Microsoft would also need to get exclusives that appeal to me.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
I like Sony and Nintendo.

Even in the 360 era xbox didn't have much to offer for me. Now I have near zero interest in owning an Xbox.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I will always have a PlayStation unless they really fuck up. But Microsoft absolutely turned my PC into an Xbox so now I'm in both camps.

xavierlv

Apr 28, 2020
I think it's fair to say every console will have high quality games before the gen is over so my question is... why all the loyalty? I'll just play good games, don't care where.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually end up getting them all, but I was primarily Playstation this gen and that'll likely be the same next gen.

Hopefully Xbox make it worthwhile to jump into their next gen ecosystem sooner than they did with Xbox One.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was Sony main until PS3 where I switched to Xbox. I still get both platforms but consider Xbox to be more of a primary, their services and controllers are just better to me. I play some exclusives on PS3/4 but honestly not into most new Sony first party stuff.

(PC and Nintendo are my most used at the moment though)

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
My path has been

SNES + GB
N64 + GBC
Gamecube + GBA
360 + Wii + 3DS
PS4 + Switch

I boycotted the XBO because Mattrick was an idiot, but I'm looking at the Series X quite favourably. If Halo: Infinite is actually good then it may be a lock.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
it would take a LOT for me to switch from Sony. really like the unique exclusives like The Last Guardian, Detroit, Astro Bot etc. i wanna see more of that. not a Halo or Gears guy at all.

gave up on Nintendo after Twilight Princess bored me to tears, i just felt like the magic was gone. i do have a 3DS but im not sure i've used it more than twice..

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm actually thinking of getting both Series X and PS5 next gen. The stuff Xbox is doing is just too good to pass up tbh, I might keep it as a Game Pass machine.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony just has too many exclusives, RPGs and Japanese titles. Gamepass is dope but I dont care for xbox first parties and I dont care for most third party titles, so I'll just nab what I do like on PS

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Last thing I bought was a 360 and I thought I'd get a one to with my PS4 but aside from Forza Horizon I can't think of a single Xbox game that looked interesting that I couldn't get on PC.

Hell, if I could afford a PC that wasn't running XP and a 9600gt I'd probably never buy anything on console outside of PlayStation 1st party

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Sticking with PlayStation as my main console because thats how it's been forever but I own a Switch and I will own a Xbox Series X for exclusives. I am particularly interested in a Fable reboot.