• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you switch from PlayStation to Xbox or vice versa

• Yes

Votes: 358 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,166 76.5%

• Total voters

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything actually realistic that would make me get an Xbox INSTEAD of a PS5. I like Sony's first parties and their output, pretty attached to certain IP. Plus all my friends have gone PlayStation for years. Unless all that somehow changed I wouldn't drop one for the other. I could be pushed further towards getting both though. But even then I'd probably rather just upgrade my PC.

Plus I have a lot of PS4 games so with BC being a thing on next gen that makes it harder to do a wholesale switch.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought i wasnt going to get a ps and switch fully to pc, tho. I hardly knew anything about the ps4 then this one hilarious price match thing happenned and i went and got one super cheap. I ended up really liking it. Except the online fees. That sucks.

I was again thinking about just sticking to pc next go-round. The perfomance of the ps5 seems to be alot higher than i imagined tho. Im totally getting one for the more graphically intensive games and vr.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah for the most part people are going to stay with what they have now, assuming they are happy with it. The days of massive turnover is over imo.
I feel the massive COD bundle casual customers don't really care, though. They go for the cheapest best option they can get.
For enthusiasts that might be different, of course, but we are talking about a market with a potential of 170 million customers here.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
if i had to point at a thing I think is silly, it's when people absolutely refuse to try a different brand for one reason or another, usually other than the remarkably well reasoned response you shared. I don't see any problem in being a fan. none at all. but when it's "X OR BUST" or shitting on the other brands/games and calling people names because of it that I think isn't cool.

that being said, i was responding to the OP in a slightly more detailed manner than simply saying 'yes'
I appreciate your response and do mostly agree. The console-warring is childish, silly and exhausting to read on a daily basis. It's one of the reasons I've always wanted people's ages to be a part of their profile because I'd have a field day laughing at some of the posts I read here coming from full-grown adults.

But I do think people can have perfectly valid reasons for choosing to spend their money where they best see fit for their personal situations without it always being "haaaa you broke!" or "must be a fanboy" as some folks here continue to perpetuate.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond like an adult and don't take that for granted. It's not always the case here lol.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ill be switching...switching whichever console on i want to play.

My platform preference for day to day gaming is xbox, due to owning a pc and controllers etc. So I can bounce around the house to various devices and everything works smoothly.

my heart is with nintendo, but man do I love PlayStation first party output.

So yeah. I just switch on whichever I want to play.

But to the op, if the new product appeal was so good I would switch day one without question and pick the other console up later. Something I'm trying to plan to do this time.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Nobody should be saying the sentiment is silly.

But it does exist.

In your middle paragraph you're literally describing 'loyalty'. People aligning their future purchase decisions with the future plans of a company based on past performance.
You're right, but when people in these kinds of threads post "brand loyalty" it mostly reads like "blind loyalty" as though it hasn't been earned.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I was never really loyal to brands. Whenever I'm choosing my platform of choice, games availability is my main reason. During seventh generation I've went with Xbox 360 and during eighth with PS4 and Switch. So far it seems PS5 might be more interesting to me - backward compatibility and potential new exclusives sounds much more stronger. And with current MS strategy, I can play some of their games on PC if I'm really interested in playing them.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I bought a 360 back in the day after my PS3 for the exclusives and then I played Fable 2 and Gears of War 3 and almost no other exclusives. I'm not falling for that again, I'll stick to Playstation, and wait for the Xbox games on PC.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I'll stick to PS5. I have most of my games on PS4 so it'd be nice to use that backwards compatibility.

I also always regret buying the Xbox consoles, there just aren't that many games that interest me.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. At this point I'm set for XSX at launch but anything can happen after the games get shown and I have no issues switching to main PS5 or later PS5 Pro if that's where multiplats are better, I did a swap this gen for the same reason, it's not a problem.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
My order of buying consoles so far: PS2, 360, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XBox One, Switch.

I switch around a lot. Not sure what I'll get first this gen at this stage, most likely a PS5 but could pivot depending on the next few weeks for sure.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
I think casuals that don't care about trophies/achievements are more than happy to switch. After the MCC disaster on Xbox at least half of my gaming group swapped to PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
While I think Sony's first party output was strong. It wasn't that strong. If switching to PC is considered then yeah. I am. If PS exclusives are going to slowly start dripping over to PC then I will wait for them. That said, I still don't understand the appeal of Xbox as a console when you can go PC for roughly the same if not better experience and not being locked down in their ecosystem. Not having game pass is an outright crime and PSNow doesn't even come close to the quality. Hopefully Sony shakes up their first party output next gen, unless that happens, Nintendo is the only console I can justify supporting. Even now thinking about Animal Crossing, it just makes me feel so happy. I need that in my life.

Niaboc

Nov 2, 2017
I mean I preferred xbox at its worst, so I'm looking forward to having xbox next gen as it's firing on all cylinders with games, hardware and services.

Oct 25, 2017
While I think Sony's first party output was strong. It wasn't that strong. If switching to PC is considered then yeah. I am. If PS exclusives are going to slowly start dripping over to PC then I will wait for them. That said, I still don't understand the appeal of Xbox as a console when you can go PC for roughly the same if not better experience and not being locked down in their ecosystem. Not having game pass is an outright crime and PSNow doesn't even come close to the quality. Hopefully Sony shakes up their first party output next gen, unless that happens, Nintendo is the only console I can justify supporting. Even now thinking about Animal Crossing, it just makes me feel so happy. I need that in my life.

Sony doesn't need to shake up anything. It just doesn't appeal to you. I could never see myself playing Animal Crossing, but I see lots of people love it.

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a 360 back in the day after my PS3 for the exclusives and then I played Fable 2 and Gears of War 3 and almost no other exclusives. I'm not falling for that again, I'll stick to Playstation, and wait for the Xbox games on PC.
Surprising to hear for that gen. Nearly every multi plat was better on 360, and most didn't hit PC back then. My roommate at the time had a PS3, I personally thought the experience was terribly lacking in comparison to 360. Controller was unusable and online was so much worse than Xbox live - didn't even have party chat. PS4 fixed those issues and have deservedly beaten Xbox soundly this gen, but the PS3 experience was miserable imo.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
No, I'm to invested in PS ecosystem and a huge fan of their first party games. If MS publishes some stuff I want to play the coming generation, I might consider xCloud or a cheap console though (Series S?). But PS5 will be my main system.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Never.

I switched from Xbox to PS2 back in the days and I can not find a single franchise that would make me go back.
They lost my interest after having butchered franchises like Fable, Project Gotham Racing and they never had the desire to create a Lost Odyssey 2.

Their whole decision making in the past 8 years has destroyed any interest for me in ever going back.
Sony made it clear from the get-go that their platform is the most ideal; games, games, games.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only reason I said no was because I'm in the Playstation ecosystem, and I wouldn't want to start over with a new ecosystem

If the PS5 fucked up BC badly I would maybe consider switching since Microsoft get that BC is important to a greater extent than Sony do

That said, gamepass has made me consider getting an Xbox system at some point just to blow through all their exclusives since I've never played a single Halo, Gears or Forza game

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty disloyal as far as what my main console is. I've gone through the gamut:

NES -> Mega Drive -> N64 -> Dreamcast -> Gamecube (after DC flopped) -> Xbox 360 -> PS4

I've owned most of the consoles at one point or another: SNES, PS1, PS2, Xbox, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox One, Switch, and I've always had a PC that plays some or most of my games. That said, my thinking has changed after this generation. I won't be buying PS5 or Xbox Series X going forward - my main platform will be PC, with whatever Nintendo does at the side. I won't likely buy an Xbox Series X or the rumoured Lockheart as Microsoft's first party doesn't appeal to me too much, and I can play all of it going forward on PC via Game Pass or, failing that, buy what I want on Steam (which is probably what I'll do once my 3 year Game Pass subscription ends).

PS5 will probably have a stronger first party, but even Sony's exclusives have failed to draw me in recently. The last high profile first party PS4 game I completed was The Last Guardian, which was amazing. I also bought Horizon: Zero Dawn and dropped it because I found its open world missions bland and repetitive, and since then I've skipped titles like God of War and Spider-Man for just not really appealing to me either. I will grab The Last of Us Part II as a last hurrah for the PS4, but if I didn't have a PS4 I wouldn't miss it too much.

So with that in mind, I'm not getting a next-gen console for quite a while. Most games I want are coming to PC and Switch, and assuming Sony doesn't do a Microsoft and start releasing their first party titles on PC in a meaningful way, I won't be bothering with PS5 until the hardware is cheaper and there's 5-6 good games on it. Or if Persona 6 is a PS5 exclusive I'll just buy the hardware when that game comes out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'll switch to whichever console that gets the next Persona and Yakuza.
Same here. My PS4 purchase (and then Pro upgrade) was decided entirely on Yakuza. And I get the feeling I'll be going with PS5 next gen because I don't think RGGS or Atlus will be doing day and date releases with other consoles yet, so PS5 it is!

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel the massive COD bundle casual customers don't really care, though. They go for the cheapest best option they can get.
For enthusiasts that might be different, of course, but we are talking about a market with a potential of 170 million customers here.

Fifa and cod players will go with the cheapest option, especially that cross play becoming even more of a thing next gen.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I've been solidly Nintendo+PlayStation for almost two decades at this point. I would consider getting an Xbox too if they had enough exclusive games that appealed to me, but they just haven't hit that critical mass yet. Perhaps next gen. So no, I wouldn't switch, just would consider getting both.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Most of my favourite games, whether 1st party or 3rd party (Japanese games + Crash Bandicoot) are PlayStation exclusives or timed exclusives. If they weren't, I would be playing them on PC (assuming they still exist without Sony's involvement).

Most of Era are similar in this taste. We're a demographic that Microsoft can never get unless they can induce seismic changes in the De Facto and De Jure realities of the industry. Unless they make games that are real game changers (but then they'd just make those available on PC as well, alleviating our need for their hardware)

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been solidly Nintendo+PlayStation for almost two decades at this point. I would consider getting an Xbox too if they had enough exclusive games that appealed to me, but they just haven't hit that critical mass yet. Perhaps next gen. So no, I wouldn't switch, just would consider getting both.

This seems like a very logical response. As soon as you see something that really appeals to you on a platform...buy it. :)

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I may buy another XB console, i owned original. XB and 360, skipped One, but without leaving PlayStation ecosystem.
Nothing on the horizon attracts me enough to spend +300€ to play games available on PlayStation too. However if price is right Xcloud+ GP and performance is good (should be, since PSNow and Stadia run well enough for me) i could sub occasionally to play a few of their exclusives i may enjoy

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Microsoft Rewards basically paying for the services in itself, with years of Game Pass Ultimate and various Windows 10 devices at home I can connect to them, a profile with hundreds of thousands of gamerscore points and a massive library that will be backwards compatible, Microsoft would need a colossal fuck-up (far bigger than anything at the Xbox One launch) to make me consider not making the next Xbox my place to be. Like I own a Switch now, chances are I'll also buy another platform too for secondary purposes, so PS5 definitely remains on the cards for me.

Jun 17, 2018
Yes, I would definitely consider switching. However this is massively dependent on what the other console offers (obviously).

This gen I've been lucky enough to own all consoles but I've since had kids and changed jobs so my time is a lot more limited. Going into next gen I'll be picking just one console and before I was heavily set on picking up an Xbox Series X. Now I'm not so sure, so I'll wait to hear more information about both before making a decision.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
In theory yeah, but the truth is I always return to Sony. In the past I originally went with Wii over PS3 as even then I was growing tired of feeling like I was just playing new instalments of the same game, but I ended up back with PS3 soon after.

This gen I've finally 'got it' about Nintendo and love playing on switch, but PS4 is my primary console for sure. I've also owned the OG Xbox and 360 but never got into them for some reason.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't really switch to/from anything since I own an Xbox One and PS4 and also don't have any sorta loyalty to either brand so I'll just buy the next Xbox or PlayStation if Microsoft or Sony do a good enough job selling it to me, which is how I imagine 99.9% of people will operate rather than through any sense of weird loyalty or devotion. So far that has not happened for either though I am liking Microsoft's GP, backwards compatibility, SD and the rumoured Lockhart whilst Sony... well they have a lot to do yet.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I've been with Playstation since I was born. We had a PS1 growing up and later on I got a PS2 for christmas.
But it was when PS3 arrived with trophies that everything changed. Frankly I don't want to switch to anything because the biggest joy of gaming for me currently is trophy hunting - and achievements on steam / xbox just isn't the same (+ I already have 153 Platinums and around 70% total completion and rising)

+ I just want to play Sonys exclusives more than anything. I own a Switch only for Smash, but also own MK8 and Mario Party.

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
I grew up with Playstation and Nintendo games so I'll probably stick to them, I have never seen any appeal in Xbox and it's games, but that's just my personal taste and it doesn't mean i'm completely close-minded if they were to surprise me next-gen. And even then I wouldn't switch per se, but rather save money to just add Xbox to my console collection

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
I always buy a system if I want to play particular games.
And probably not. With PS5 controller I hope we get better experience. VR. I like Sony exclusives.
So Nintendo/Sony combo always was good for me.
If Xbox makes a great innovation I'll buy it.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I'm never exclusive to a brand I just go where the games are. However, Microsoft's output for the past decade haven't been appealing to me (maybe one or 2 games), but in general their exclusives don't intrigue me to run out and buy an xbox.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I might, I don't care too much for most of the exclusives of either so if Xbox gets better Japanese support I could see myself switching (especially with Gamepass being a great fucking deal).

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Since Sony's first-party is a bit hit or miss for me, I would be willing to go to Xbox if they improve their first-party output, and if they secure more Japanese support.

If the X isn't getting Yakuza, NieR, Vanillaware games, and other titles at the same time as PlayStation, then it's an easy pick for me.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
No, Game Pass is unbeatable and Sony has nothing to counter the offering GP has. PS now is a joke.

I haven't bothered with PSN Now, and I sold my X1X a few months ago even though I have year plus of Game Pass Ultimate and I'm not missing it. Game Pass is great value, but I can still live without it. I'm one of those weird old school gamers who gets jammed up if there's too much choice, and I flit around with GP but barely scratching the surface of most games.

Game Pass and PS now don't add any value for me, to be honest and I usually buy games I want to play - I tend to put more effort into them then

Also: What's the problem with brand loyalty if it's a brand that you trust? It doesn't stop you being open to other brands if they give something you want. Obnoxious fanboying can die, but I don't see the problem with brand loyalty