• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you switch from PlayStation to Xbox or vice versa

• Yes

Votes: 358 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,166 76.5%

• Total voters

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Probably never. Playstation and PC for me. Sony first party is just too strong and the Japanese games they get that rarely go to MS makes a strong case for me to stay too. PC should suffice for any MS games that interest me but there's been nothing yet. I might get a switch lite to fill my handheld void left by the vita though.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Nah, my PC/PS4/Switch covers just about anything I'm interested in. I would buy an Xbox if it gets exclusive Japanese games like Persona or Yakuza, though I find that really difficult to happen. All the current Xbox tentpole games simply doesn't interest me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, console wars
Why would I change to a console with zero exclusives from one that has a ton?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation gamer since 1, moved to PC PS4 this gen because of PS+ being required for most online games. Now I have PC PS4 Xbox thanks to all Xbox games on PC so yeah, not moving to a console that has no console exclusives. The whole reason I need PS4 is for it's exclusives.

SteelOak

Oct 28, 2017
I loved Xbox 360 because of Crackdown, Forza, PGR, Halo, Gears of War and other titles. It was my favorite console since PSX. Bought One despite it being weak system not so long after launch becuase I really wanted to play Forza. Unfortunatelly almost all old IP's were really dissapointing on that system. Halo is not even close to what it was when Bungie was making it, Gears is now mediocre at best and there is no PGR or something new and interesting. Only really good series for me on that system is Forza Horizon. Won't be buing Xbox unless Gears 6 will be really good.
MS should let new studios make new games and not force them to continue making series that they don't have heart to do and don't have idea what made them great.
Probably PS5 for me despite it being weaker system. I have PC so no loss here also.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I had a PS1, skipped the PS2, bought a 360, then bought a PS4, now keeping an eye on the PS5.

The only constant through all of this has been the PC.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depending on the generation I've always had all three consoles eventually. I skipped the Wii and the Xbox One because nothing on there really was worth it for me. It all depends on the games really. I don't need two consoles to play third party stuff.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
If Microsoft had quality Exclusives like the ones PS have right now I would swap to Xbox.

The service and the console are top tier.. they are only missing the exclusives and that's 90% of mi decision.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Once I got my hand on asymmetrical sticks on the original Xbox in elementary school.... there was no way of going back

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
Nintendo only up until Xbox (traded in my Gamecube, because that was my only hope to get an Xbox at the time).
After that Xbox->Wii->PS3->Xbox One.

I think with BC and everything I'm okay staying put. I have a Switch for that Nintendo itch (and I mostly use it fo Ring Fit or portability). I do recognize the Sony exclusives I'm missing, but have too much to play that I enjoy without the extra library of games.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Backstory:
I have never had a PS1, but I would go everyday to my best friend's house to play on his PS1.
I had a PS2 and a huge amount of games (thanks piracy?) and homebrew because official games were never a thing here in Brazil.
I have never had the OG Xbox because it has never been a thing here in Brazil.
I have never had a PS3, it was way too expensive here, or an Xbox 360 for the same reason, but I would play both on lan houses. During this time I was way more inclined to buy an X360.
I bought a PS4 because my family's financial life was better and all that Xbox One fiasco. It had to be bought on the gray market because it used to officially cost about $1000. Since then I've been building my library entirely digital, besides 1 copy of FIFA 16. Digital have been great to me because of the discounts that physical retailers here never have. I've been an PS Plus subscriber for about 5 years, so I have a lot of "free games" (even some PS3 ones lol).

Speaking about next-gen:
I'm sure I will buy a PS5. Mainly because of the digital library and because I like single-player exclusives that Sony makes. I'm curious to see what Microsoft have from their 1st party, I'm expecting it to be mostly new IPs or soft-reboots, which would make me even more interested since I'm not jumping in the middle of some journey. I'm "torn" right now, I'm dying for sequels to games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-man, sequels I know will come, but I want to see new IPs and I'm not sure if Sony will do that right now because of their successful line-up of exclusive franchises. If MS games prove to be really fun, I may buy an Xbox in some years.

So no, I wouldn't jump ships.

Oct 25, 2017
In theory I would. I switched from Nintendo to PlayStation during the N64 era.

But in 3 generations Microsoft has not given me a good reason to switch to them, and I very highly doubt that will change next gen.

Sony has delivered my gaming needs perfectly since the original PlayStation. So far I have no reason to abandon the brand.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I just go where the games are. I have no brand loyalty. That said I don't ever see myself buying an Xbox since I primarily play on PC.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Switching is difficult for gaming enthusiasts (which this forum mostly consist of) because of backlogs, friends lists and comfort with controllers.

That in mind, I think next gen may be more about gaming enthusasts expanding than switching. I bought a Playstation for the first since since PS1 this gen. With Microsoft continuing to lower the barriers to their exosystem and increase the value of gaming on their platform, I can see a lot of people expanding back in that direction.

Backlogs you can still manage if you keep the old console (debating not getting any next-gen games at all until I play through most of my current-gen backlog anyways too). Friends Lists aren't as big of a deal if you don't play online a lot, which seems to be a lot of this forum. Comfort with controllers is a fair point but as someone who's switched before it was less of a big deal than I thought it would be.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
Ive always tried to have every system ever since I missed out on the Genesis for most of the 32 bit generation. Ive always been a big Sony and Nintendo fan and so I will still get their consoles provided the games are there. If the Series X has some true exclusives (not coming to PC) then I will buy that too.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I would stay with a PC / PS / Nintendo setup. Between Game Pass for PC, and Play Anywhere, I can just play the MS titles on PC. I'd actually find that easier to do as that's where my friends are and the control scheme for games like the Obsidian ones would be easier for me to get a grip on.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
I've owned every playstation at one point in the generation, but it's almost always been my second or third console of the generation (PS2 was the exception and the only console of that generation for me).

Microsoft hooked me by launching a year before Sony in the PS360 gen. I hopped on a 360 when it launched, then stuck with Microsoft on Xbox One due to my XBL social network and backwards compatibility with games I already owned, and Game Pass has pretty much ensured that I'll do the exact same thing with the Series X. PS3 and PS4 were both acquired late gen with slim models (PS3 in 2009, PS4 In 2019), and I'll probably do the same for PS5. Wait until a year or two after the mid gen refresh, then pick it up on a Black Friday or Boxing Day sale. Grab a bunch of cheap games I missed and ride out the generation like that, then repeat for the next one.

The disruption would come if Sony went and launched a year or more before Microsoft with PS6 and the next Xbox like back in 2005; otherwise I just don't see it.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
I've always owned every system, but since the PS3, I've really disliked most of Sony's exclusives, barring the FromSoft ones and a few others (Ratchet, a few other vibrant games). I wasn't a fan of the 360, and I am not a fan of the Xbone exclusives, either. What's shifted me more toward Xbox/Nintendo is game pass (it's saved me SO much money and has introduced me to so many great games).

I loved the PS2 and PS1, but the PS3 and PS4 just don't do it for me. It's a shame. I miss the PS1/PS2 exclusives. There were so many great, creative, diverse games. Now, there is definitely some diversity, though not nearly as much as back then, but the games (especially all of these 3rd-person action ones) just don't do anything for me anymore. God of War had so much potential but was so disappointing. I hope they improve with the successor to that game, because I want to feel the same excitement I felt back with the PS1/PS2 libraries.

Also, if the PS5 hardware is loud, like my old PS4 Pro (rocketship), i'm 100% out. I's unacceptable.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019
Well, at this point no since I have a PC. But, assuming PCs are no longer available, I'd only switch if Xbox had exclusives I actually liked. Not to mention I already have a strong Playstation bias since I already love their current and old exclusives. Xbox would have to really pull out all the stops to get me to switch.

Jun 12, 2018
At this point people are too entrenched right now in their respective ecosystem to even consider switching personally I think.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nop. Sony is pretty solid in delivering what i look for in videogames. Nintendo 1st party games are not for me, and MS lost me after the OG Xbox. Untill Sony messes up big time, and i stop enjoying what they bring to the table, thers no reasons for me to jump ships.

Right now i choose to purchase only 1 console per generation, and use PC as a sidekicker.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been buying Sony consoles since the PS2. Actually, I've gone Playstation/Nintendo console every generation, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I could count on one hand how many Microsoft exclusives have interested me over the years. (Halo 3, Crackdown 1, Forza...and that's about it.)

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. Sticking with PlayStation.

I'll be upgrading my PC, so I wouldn't need to switch even if I wanted to play an Xbox Studios game.

Jan 31, 2018
At this point, no. As much as I dislike Sony, their exclusives appeal to me far more than Microsofts. If that ever changes in the future, I'll reassess.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, probably never. I'm big on JRPGs and single player, story focused games. My impression of Xbox is that it's mostly shooters, racers, and multiplayer -- which I all have negative interest in. The rare few titles that have caught my eye, have all eventually become available on Switch so I literally have no reason for the console. Unless things somehow drastically change and Sony and Xbox basically switch focuses, I doubt I'll ever have an Xbox system in my home.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I own a Xbox for work-related reasons (And I also have GamePass!) since I need to own all three but my main console under the TV will likely always be my PlayStation, just because it gives me the kind of games I want to play. I have a Switch as well in the main game room. My high-end gaming is done on my PC in my office!

The setup works, all three console manufacturers get my money :)

Feb 10, 2018
Ive owned both consoles the past 2 gens, so while I cant "switch" I could choose to just go with one platform.
I hate the idea of having to buy a console just for a couple of exclusives, so i may just pick one, but i will probably cave when cool game comes out on the platform I don't have.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I will never switch from Xbox. I'm far to invested in the ecosystem, and I'm much more comfortable with owning my games on the platform since BC is a huge part of their hardware evolution.

I 100% would purchase a PS5 in addition to my XSX if a quality Silent Hill really is in the works exclusively for Sony. Sony first party would be great as well. One of the main reasons I stayed away from PlayStation though is the controller. I absolutely hate the stick layout.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I always end up with all three consoles. But, my primary consideration when thinking about which console to purchase first is power. I will always buy the stronger system first. So yes, I have switched before. I spent the majority of this generation playing exclusively on my PS4 until the XSX released ( I even bought a Pro and was playing on that for a while as it was the strongest console available at the time).

I'll probably switch again this generation.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I am a primarily Xbox gamer and at this point there is no way I would ever switch. For me, it doesnt come down to games or being the most powerful console, it is just the fact that the Xbox controller is the most comfortable controller I have ever used and somehow each generation it just gets better. The dualshock on the otherhand is tiny and extremely uncomfortable for me to use. Maybe the Dualsense will be better, but at this point, I am in love with Xbox's messaging about all my older games (all but like 27 for me) being playable on the new console running better than ever before, and Xbox now also owns Obsidian and Ninja Theory.

Also, I have played all the big first party PS4 exclusives except for Death Stranding and other than God of War and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn (I feel this game was just hampered by me being forced to use a controller, as I prefer those types of games be played on PC) Sony's output as a publisher is pretty bad when it comes to my preferences

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I never switched, I always own all consoles and I have choice. Next gen due to the bigger BC library, will be playing more Xbox Series X, unless PS5 can magically play PS1,2, and 3 games upon release.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Sony's exclusives too much to ever switch over to anything else.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I was PS2, PS3, PS4, and then 3 free years of Game Pass (thanks, Alienware) enticed me to buy a cheap Xbox One S (my first Xbox), and now I'm sticking with Xbox for next gen. It helps that I don't particularly care for either's 1st party output aside from a few games here and there.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I have both, will get Xbox Series X first and PlayStation 5 by January/February after my tax return.

The only first party I'm really really interested from.Sony is Spider-Man, but it's always nice to have both consoles just in case Sony money hats shit again.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I purchase all consoles within the first 3 or so years of the cycle, so this question only applies to the primary platform.

And short answer, no I wouldn't. My library on my Xbox is too large to abandon regardless of the quality of FP games, I also prefer the controller and the ecosystem.
Though more importantly, I trust Microsoft more when it comes to ensuring all of my digital purchases are forwards compatible.

I will most definitely purchase a PS5 for the exclusives though, without doubt.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I've always bought all consoles, Playstation first for exclusives and Japanese games, then Nintendo second for exclusives then Xbox third also for exclusives.

Might skip getting an Xbox console next gen cause really feeling the fatigue with Halo, Gears and Forza, and if they finally release interesting exclusives like Fable, I'll just get it on PC.

Sony's huge exclusives getting sequels has pretty much locked me to getting a Playstation next gen. Also with how FF7R ended, and how the next parts will most likely be coming to PS consoles first, I just gotta get a PS5 so I can play as early as possible to avoid spoilers lol.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Microsoft's goal shouldn't be to make people switch but rather make them the central component or add to other peoples ecosystem. I have invested on PSN for over a decade now, I'm not letting it all go for one console generation. However with how they've opened themselves up more with Windows and potentially xCloud, I'll be more interested in trying their games in the future. While I won't be a big contributor to their MAU, that alone is a win for them.

Just need to them to eventually launch on Steam however as it'll just make it a lot easier for me as a consumer.