• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I have been playing this game on xbox one for the past 2 weeks and it's amazing. Pure 90's arcade racing fun. It's inspired by the Top Gear franchise but borrows from other retro racers such as Outrun (There is a straight up Outrun like dlc out on some platform already). It also looks incredible with the low poly design and vibrant colors. The tracks are really varied with different settings, weather, night/day cycle. It's a pretty lengthy game also with tons of content. I am 30 hours in and still have a lot to do. Don't sleep on it arcade racer fans. It's available on every current gen platforms.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Can a mod please correct the title to:
People who have been asking for arcade racers: Have you played Horizon Chase Turbo?

Thanks

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Horizon Chase is easily the best racing game of the last few years on both mobile and other platforms, but I love Top Gear (SNES).

I don't much care for the coin collection, though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
You can see it's a mobile game but damn it's addicting. The OST is great as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Top Gear on the SNES is one of my favorite games ever, and I still play it to this day.

So damn right I played Horizon Chase. It's literally a love letter to Top Gear. Loved every second of it, and the fact they brought back the original Top Gear composer was just amazing.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's super good but the cpu cheats like a bastard lol

So yes, it's an arcade racer!

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Hell yes! I loved games like Out Run and Top Gear back in the day, so I gave this a try when it came to PS+ a month or two ago and it's fantastic. Way better than I expected. It's also been a great game for my son and I to play together where we try to beat each other's times. I thought the Top Gear-esque driver quips (via speech bubbles) were a nice touch.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I did and I loved it. It's a great game and I was super eager to support it that I double dipped on switch due to the fact that the dev team is Brazilian.

Sadly I had some issues with the switch version, I sent an email to the devs about it but I don't think they're going to patch the bugs.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Hell yes! I loved games like Out Run and Top Gear back in the day, so I gave this a try when it came to PS+ a month or two ago and it's fantastic. Way better than I expected. It's also been a great game for my son and I to play together where we try to beat each other's times. I thought the Top Gear-esque driver quips (via speech bubbles) were a nice touch.
Dont know how far you are in the game but they put some cool easter eggs.

You can unlock a car similar to the bat mobile, a fast and furious car called Walker X (a reference to Paul Walker) and if you turn the globe in world tour mode you wil see a structure in Antartica. It's the ship that transports your car in Top Gear 3000

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yes I did and I loved it. It's a great game and I was super eager to support it that I double dipped on switch due to the fact that the dev team is Brazilian.

Sadly I had some issues with the switch version, I sent an email to the devs about it but I don't think they're going to patch the bugs.
What issues did you have? The only one I had was after hitting a static object I could not steer my car anymore. I had to restart the race. It happened a couple of times.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I can vouch for this game, my friends and I 100%'d it on the Switch and loved every moment of it. It's totally my fav racer in years.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What issues did you have? The only one I had was after hitting a static object I could not steer my car anymore. I had to restart the race. It happened a couple of times.
Had quite a few, but from what I remember the worst one was when two friends were playing split screen and the game just froze, had to turn off the switch to be able to get out of the game. Had another time where I placed first in a tournament but the game placed the CPU ahead of me in the podium even though the rankings showing I had more points. When it went back to the menu the congrats screen appeared saying I unlocked something but it wouldn't go away so I had to close the game to be able to continue. Bunch of weird technical bugs like that.

Also, in regards to what the other poster said, 80s overdrive is exclusive to the 3ds unfortunately but it's also an amazing game. Pulls more from lotus race on SNES but it's still a great gem.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
I got it on mobile years ago and it didn't click, so I didn't bother trying it on console. Is it...less mobile-y?

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I have it on my backlog, I can't get over the fact that the game is a homage to Top Gear 1 and they haven't implemented the pit stop mechanic...

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I have it on my backlog, I can't get over the fact that the game is a homage to Top Gear 1 and they haven't implemented the pit stop mechanic...
I think it's an homage to the Top Gear snes franchise in general not specifically 1. It plays more like Top Gear 2. The soundtrack is closer to Top Gear 1 and they put some easter egg for Top Gear 3000.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Just tried the PC demo. The presentation and music are stellar, but is there much more to it than being a super refined take on old scaler racing games?

This might be a good one for my phone if it's not too complicated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Just tried the demo. The presentation and music are stellar, but is there much more to it than being a super refined take on old scaler racing games?
It plays a lot like the Top Gear games but adds a lot of variety in terms of tracks, settings and weather. It's also pack with content. There is a world tour mode where you travel to different countries to race and get first place. In each race there are tokens to collect and if you collect them all and get 1st place you get a super trophy. There's also a tournament mode where you compete in a set of races and accumulate points, an endurance mode with random tracks and a playground mode with different challenges such as mirrowed tracks. They recently released a summer pack with a mode similar to outrun but only on some platforms (I think pc and ps4). It's coming later for the others. There are 32 vehicules, some have to be unlocked. In terms of car customization you are limited to a few colors, nothing fancy.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
It's more of an 80s racer which isn't my thing but even so I still had a lot of fun with it on the iPhone. Actually controls great on it too.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Been playing it on and off since I got it on ps4. I played it on mobile and enjoyed it so I thought why not give it another go. This time I'm actually trying and getting all the super trophies. Been a lot of damn fun.

I also remember playing it at PSX when it came to SF so it's nice to see the final game

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Wrong era. It's an Outrun-like. I want Scud Race.
Nope. It's inspired by Top Gear which came out on snes on the 90's. The devs even had the composer for Top Gear making the soundtrack. It also plays like Top Gear and not like Outrun. There is no timer and you race against other cars.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I like it a lot and just finished World Tour Mode yesterday. I think I've put 5 hours into it and got gold on all races on my first try, so I'd say it's a bit on the easy side. I need to redo about 10 races to get the super trophy. I need to know what the secret unlock is.

I unlocked Tournament and Endurance mode. Is there anything special about those? To me it looks like Tournament mode is 4 stages and Endurance mode is 12 stages on the easiest, but it's not split up like Tournament mode, so maybe it's 12 stages in succession?

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Nope. It's inspired by Top Gear which came out on snes on the 90's. The devs even had the composer for Top Gear making the soundtrack. It also plays like Top Gear and not like Outrun. There is no timer and you race against other cars.
Yup! It would be pretty awesome though if a proper Out Run mode was added where you race against the timer instead of other cars and the road splits in two before each checkpoint.

Perhaps in a sequel...

Last edited:

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I have. While I greatly enjoyed it, it isn't exactly what I mean when I say I want more arcade racers. They don't really make the types of arcade racers I'm looking for... think a modern version of San Francisco Rush. I'm not expecting something like that out of a small/indie team.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I like it a lot and just finished World Tour Mode yesterday. I think I've put 5 hours into it and got gold on all races on my first try, so I'd say it's a bit on the easy side. I need to redo about 10 races to get the super trophy. I need to know what the secret unlock is.

I unlocked Tournament and Endurance mode. Is there anything special about those? To me it looks like Tournament mode is 4 stages and Endurance mode is 12 stages on the easiest, but it's not split up like Tournament mode, so maybe it's 12 stages in succession?
Finishing 1st without taking the tokens is the easy mode basically. Grabbing all the tokens is the challenging part. It reminds me a bit of Diddy Kong racing.

Tournament mode is your regular race for points mode and racer with the most points win the tournament.

Endurance mode is a bunch of random tracks in which you have to race and you cant quit or restart. You have to do it in one sitting.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

None of that makes it Scud Race though.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it, I liked the soundtrack and the car selection. I would probably have preferred a driftier handling model but the game is more an homage to the 80's than the driftier games of the 90s.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lack of the pitstop mechanic is the one thing I feel the game is missing. Collecting the fuel on the track really shows that it was a mobile game first. That and the tokens, but at least the tokens add some replayability and challenge to it, changing how refueling works just made the game less strategic.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Played it a ton on Switch earlier this year, very fun game. I had hope that a lot more people would check it out when it was "free" on PS+, but apparently that didn't happen which is a shame.

Nov 8, 2017
I was going to play it when it was free on PS+ until I realised that it had no online mode. Can't believe a game like this releases in 2018 with no online play.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love it. The moment I booted up into my first race and heard the music I got a Top Gear nostalgia blast.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
The arcade racers I want are sega rally style, burnout style and late 90s or early 2000 sega style