• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
OP is actually right that it's so damn cringe and played out though.

Living in SF my whole life (fuck everything btw) and having been blessed with teams such as the Warriors, Giants, and Niners (Shanahan you bum) you encounter shit like sportsball from all the tech bro's all the fucking time.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I don't think I'm better, but I do wish there was some way to socially interact with people at like work or Twitter without the Super Bowl taking over discussions.
Wait a few days? Or, you know, get basic knowledge of the things others care about so that you can have a conversation with them?

This is really no different than a big Marvel movie or Game of Thrones or whatever. Its a big media event that is borderline "cultural" that is going to take over the water cooler for a few days. Then it will all fade away as other topics come up. Either smile and nod or learn how to engage.

I give zero shits about sports that aren't fake wrestling or fighting games. I went to a superbowl party to hang out with some friends and had a blast. Some of us got really in to things. Others among us kept forgetting which teams were playing and called them "red team" and "gold team". Nobody got cranky or insisted that people stop talking about a given player's performance or what they think will happen next season or whatever.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'm better, but I do wish there was some way to socially interact with people at like work or Twitter without the Super Bowl taking over discussions.
Mass appeal hobbies are going to gather the most mass appeal discussion. It's the nature of reality. Find something else mutual to segue conversations to that way you can interject and banter without being left out. Same thing I do at work because we all have overlapping interests that can be brought into a conversation whenever sports comes up.

Also helps that I casually watch every so often, so names of people aside, I'm not entirely lost.

Mar 10, 2018
There's nothing to be gained from watching genetic 'supermen' smush their bodies arbitrarily around a ball. It adds nothing to the human experience.
As opposed to the deep human wisdom to be gained from mashing buttons on a controller to scatter a bunch of pixels on a screen.

(For what it's worth, I think American football is problematic af)

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a few days? Or, you know, get basic knowledge of the things others care about so that you can have a conversation with them?

This is really no different than a big Marvel movie or Game of Thrones or whatever. Its a big media event that is borderline "cultural" that is going to take over the water cooler for a few days. Then it will all fade away as other topics come up. Either smile and nod or learn how to engage.

I give zero shits about sports that aren't fake wrestling or fighting games. I went to a superbowl party to hang out with some friends and had a blast. Some of us got really in to things. Others among us kept forgetting which teams were playing. Nobody got cranky or insisted that people stop talking about a given player's performance or what they think will happen next season or whatever.
I'm sure it wasn't your intention but this post is really condescending. It's basically saying, "learn or don't talk with them".

Aug 12, 2019
I mean, there's blatantly being a dick about the fact that you don't like Sports and think no one else should enjoy it, and there's poking fun at a diverse form of entertainment medium by using terminology for comedic effect. You can make fun of video games in the same way by the "shoot the things for the points and get the trophy" or any other number of similar comments. Sure, it's a little passive aggressive, but in the grand scheme of things that's not really a huge problem to express your own apathy by commenting wildly reductionist statements that can also land as a genuinely funny acknowledgement of said apathy with the right audience.

No one can force someone else to like something or care more about it. It becomes a problem when you're trying to force your personal preferences on someone and not accepting that you each have different opinions.

Now, there's also a variety of issues with the exploitative nature, traditional power structures and roles, and ultra-capitalistic values reinforced by a variety of major league sports as well, so there's additional circumstances that maybe suggest we shouldn't put sports as a whole on a pedestal all the time either and some ribbing may indeed be in order from time to time (at least until we can start making more fundamental changes to the variety of complicated dynamics still at play within the sports arena).

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
People say things like "I don't follow sportsball" because for people who don't care about sports the experience of feeling left out on that basis is basically ubiquitous. It is, much like the practice of viewing sports, an identity thing.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. No one is saying you need to like sports or know much about them but to go out of your way to point out that you don't know the names, which you surely do, is annoying. Non sci-fi fans that say "Trek Wars" or non-fantasy fans that say "Game of Rings" would be similarly annoying.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'm sure it wasn't your intention but this post is really condescending. It's basically saying, "learn or don't talk with them".
No. That was my intention. Good to know it got across

Seriously. We have people saying "I wish they wouldn't like things I don't like" and who can't even be bothered to smile and nod or even learn a bit by osmosis. This is an active refusal to even acknowledge others like other things and a refusal to even humor these people and let them discuss something that doesn't directly appeal.

This isn't even social awkwardness. This is narcissism combined with a complete lack of empathy.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
Oh yeah? Well I think people who think people who don't enjoy sports and think they're better than others that do are the worst are actually the worst.

Sorry OP.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Like gatekeeping is not great and shit, but that Lonely Island song is eleven years old and no one should make that joke anymore.

EDIT: You see!

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah I really dislike people like that. You're perfectly within your rights to not like sports. There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to be that person that has to let everyone else know how much you don't like it or try to butt into convos to do the same. It's irritating.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a hard time enjoying people sacrificing their bodies for my supposed entertainment.

But baseball is all right.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I take your whining about people who don't care about football and raise you a everybody asking you if/where you're watching the game when you don't care about football.
"I'm actually not really into football. I've got other plans tonight."

Why can't y'all just be normal? So somebody assumed you'd be watching a sporting event so ubiquitous that people with zero knowledge of sports go to parties to watch the event. It's a common night for parties in the US. Just say you're not doing anything for it and go back to being normal.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"HAHA sportsball NERD!!! They don't even PLAY that game in my country lmaooooo HANDEGG YANKS ROFL"

Like, who are you talking to?

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Clutching your pearls over "sportsball," lmao give me a fucking break my guy

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
No, nerds won the culture war. Video games and Marvel comics are now the de facto watercooler talk, not sports. Tomorrow, we'll all go to work or school and talk about what plotlines we think will be explored on WandaVision and not who managed to put the most handeggs through the goal hoop in the big sportsball match.

/s

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have noticed it. It's a sort of bizarre elitism where they desperately want you to know how little they care. "Look how much I dislike this thing! I can't even be bothered to remember what it's called". It's like older people who use to talk about rap/hip-hop as "hippity hop music" without the actual possibility that they actually thought it was called that out of pure ignorance.

I've also noticed similar behavior on this site by people who don't like social media/no longer have it (especially with Facebook) or people who don't drink

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lives in KC and doesn't care about sports. I agree. No one gives a shit how antisocial you are

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like how OP says they didn't see the super bowl but posts this on super bowl day. You aren't fooling anyone.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are the people who enjoy sports and think they're better than others that don't the second worst or are they third after nazis?

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
"I'm actually not really into football. I've got other plans tonight."

Why can't y'all just be normal? So somebody assumed you'd be watching a sporting event so ubiquitous that people with zero knowledge of sports go to parties to watch the event. It's a common night for parties in the US. Just say you're not doing anything for it and go back to being normal.
I'm not sure why you're assuming that wasn't my exact response. I was asked by four strangers today about football. I politely let them know I didn't watch. Like a normal person. And I hated the encounters. Again, I assume, like a normal person.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'm not sure why you're assuming that wasn't my exact response. I was asked by four strangers today about football. I politely let them know I didn't watch. Like a normal person. And I hated the encounters. Again, I assume, like a normal person.
Oh shit. I am so sorry. That must have been really rough. You didn't tell us that you had to tell 4 people that you don't watch the Super Bowl. Are you okay?

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience it's been quite the opposite, and the importance of sports is thrown in your face all the time. Non-sports lovers have no social capital with which to cast derision. At my alma mater (UGA) for instance, it felt first and foremost like it's a football league that offers degree programs on the side. That's not unique, practically any flagship non-Ivy League school presents itself this way. Like if you drive for five hours from North Georgia to South Georgia you'll see thousands of UGA flags and bumper stickers. That pride isn't for the school, it's for the football team. And of course here in Georgia all our neighboring states are held with the highest contempt. Why? Football rivalries of course. The godly status of sports is like a sacred cow that can't be touched.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Lol you hated the encounter? Damn dude they're trying to include you in a conversation.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Are the people who enjoy sports and think they're better than others that don't the second worst or are they third after nazis?
Gate keeping is bad no matter what, but as someone who doesn't care at all to keep up or watch sports, this has literally never been an issue for me. If anything this should be a massive issue cuz I'm always wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates hat.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
In the gay community, not liking soccer is like the ultimate tasteful thing, you're actually shamed for liking soccer. It's also a proof of smartness to not like soccer it seems, like really, you hear guys being all "i'm one of the smart people cause i don't like soccer"

And let's not even talk about when i say someone i enjoy wrestling :p

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
My advice has always been just get a quick rundown of phrases that go over basic information and that should get you through most conversations for the next week or 2 while not looking like a complete freak.
"I can't believe the Chief's pulled it off!"
"Mahomes is amazing!"
"Chris Jones was unstoppable!"
"That Nut was so weird!"

Honestly it's the most popular super bowl ad that can be the hardest to figure out but otherwise you'll fit in fine with just basic compliments about players. Don't be negative, let them do most of the talking, smile and nod and you'll get by A-ok. It has worked for me for years.