• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I know most of the initial user base (myself included) came from the old site. But for those that didn't how did you stumble upon this place?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before ERA I pretty much got all my gaming info from twitter and reddit. I followed some of the founders or day 1 members of ERA on Twitter (Nibellion, Zhuge, Shinobi) and heard about it there. I never really bothered even lurking the old place, let alone sign up.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've always wanted to put forward my opinion on a famous gaming forum and I couldn't do so until I got my own website (shakes fists and bloody elitists).

Apr 24, 2018
Funnily enough, I kept hearing Kinda Funny Games always source the old place for a large portion of their news, and I had just started lurking the old place a bit a couple weeks before Era came to be. Especially since I felt that Kinda Funny was going downhill fast, I eventually just decided to make an Era account.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Always heard about GAF just from keeping up with Video Games in general. I knew it was a forum where a bunch of info would get leaked. Once the schism hit the mainstream video game news outlets I figured I would check out the diaspora that left GAF.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I lurked there, didn't have an account, saw what went down and I liked that there were people who did the right thing and left and figured it was a place I would enjoy

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I was a huge lurker of Neogaf since 2012, but i first made an account here. I did eventually made an account there too, but i prefer to post here.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Back when #Change the Channel was in full swing I wanted to learn more about the whole situation as I used to be a Channel Awesome fan. I found a thread on the situation on here by The Bear including a link to the google doc. After reading the whole thread, I checked out other threads on here and I liked most of what I saw since it was cool finding a place meant for gaming that would talk about social issues as well.

I lurked on the site for a few months (maybe even a year???) but when the Snap event happened I decided to finally sign up and ended up sticking around because I joined the MafiEra community and other threads dedicated to some of my fave games.

I had never heard of GAF before finding this website though. XD

I knew the story around GAF and ERA through a gaming channel I'm following, but never interacted with the sites.
After DMC5 was revealed at E3 2018 I googled some stuff and ended up in the trailer tread. Read every 100+ page, and it was a fucking wild ride!
Lurked ever since, and after a few months, I gathered the courage to haunt ERA with my dreadful presence.

Dec 31, 2017
Had an account at GAF, migrated as most of the users did. Now GAF is pretty trash, especially the politics section.

But why do we treat the word "neogaf" like "voldemort"...

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wrote about video games for 4 years, which means that everyone I followed and was friends with was talking about the old place news that dropped that sparked calls for a new Era of gaming forums.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I was on the old place but I quit long before it went to shit. Then found this place by chance. Joined because there's nothing else like it really. I don't agree with y'all on video games or politically in some cases, but at least most people here are willing to have a conversation than go for the throat constantly on most things. So that's nice.

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
My cousin has been a member since the early gaf days. I always thought online forums were kinda stupid but he loved it. He would send me links all the time of interesting stories. One day he caught me skimming through era threads, so he secretly made me an account and reset has been a daily website check for me ever since!

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
That is an interesting question.

I got here from GAF, but I heard about GAF on the old IGN message boards while browsing TeamXbox (was there starting in 2001).

It seems unlikely that someone would just randomly find this place unless they were engaging with other members on social media or in a game or something.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
I'd heard of the old place often, usually painted in a very negative way as a "crazy leftist SJW commie site". Which sounded pretty rad. I'd made an account there at some point but never used it because I was still frequenting another forum at the time, which I'd been on for like a decade. I had trouble detaching for that reason, hard to just drop a site from your life that you've been using since you were a teenager. But I wanted to because it had grown increasingly toxic/alt right, and then the old place fallout happened, and it was sort of at a perfect moment for me to make that transition.

I'm still disappointed that this place isn't actually a "crazy leftist SJW commie site" but it's by far the best forum I've ever been on so I'm glad I took the plunge.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'd heard of the old place often, usually painted in a very negative way as a "crazy leftist SJW commie site". Which sounded pretty rad. I'd made an account there at some point but never used it because I was still frequenting another forum at the time, which I'd been on for like a decade. I had trouble detaching for that reason, hard to just drop a site from your life that you've been using since you were a teenager. But I wanted to because it had grown increasingly toxic/alt right, and then the old place fallout happened, and it was sort of at a perfect moment for me to make that transition.

I'm still disappointed that this place isn't actually a "crazy leftist SJW commie site" but it's by far the best forum I've ever been on so I'm glad I took the plunge.
Which site became more alt right? Escapist Magazine? Cause I left that place to join the old place.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Which site became more alt right? Escapist Magazine? Cause I left that place to join the old place.
Nah, a GameFAQs spinoff forum, but judging by other forums I'm familiar with it kinda seems like.. every gaming forum has taken a turn like this. Era and Waypoint are the only forums I'm aware of that haven't, and Waypoint seems pretty dead from the brief time I spent checking it out.

iwam

Aug 7, 2019
I kept seeing news and leaks sourced from here on other sites. One day, I decided to take a look for myself, and largely liking what I saw, became a lurker; I made my account a bit later.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
as a teenager and video game initiate i'd get all my gaming news from sites like ign. all the comments there started becoming really racist, transphobic, sexist, whatever; so i jumped ship to the site that the ign users seemed to resent: resetera.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I was a lurker on GAF for years. The day I thought about joining was the day when everything kicked off. I waited it out, saw people were starting a new site and decided to join Era instead.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Lurked on Gaf, but wasn't "elite enough" to join.
After everything kicked off and ERA opened up I snuck in with everyone else.

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
Have a friend on here who used to tell me how awesome the old place was (emphasis on 'was'). Then when shit hit the fan and he migrated over, he convinced me to join up.
Now I mostly just lurk the warhammer 40K and One Piece OTs.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Used to post on many old gaming forums in the early-mid 2000s. When I got my switch I got back into gaming in a big way and was looking for a new forum to discuss stuff.

Found the old place through some youtubers, lurked there for a while, then came here when the channel change hit. I've enjoyed the progressive bent of this site and stuck around.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Saw a left leaning gaming forum being created.

Haven't been on a forum in pretty much forever and really missed the dynamic.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Found the link to ResetEra in an article about Starfield leaks. Lurked for about 6 months before I registered.
Never had an account on GAF or any other gaming forums before.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Somebody from the old Rotten Tomatoes community mentioned the place. Was something of a refugee once those boards were shut down. Some time later I checked this place out, found the memberships' political slant more to my liking than that at most forums, and decided to stick around for the OT talk. (I'm a non-gamer.)

Oct 27, 2017
i always assume it is to keep down the google results.funnily enough i had a look on there a few weeks ago and unless i misunderstood they refer to this place as REEEEE or something similar.
Some very fine people in there.

Really though, we live rent-free inside the head of every loser in there, and they feed off of resetera mentioning them by name. They are so obsessed about this site they have entire threads dedicated to us with people posting daily on them for years now. Plus every other thread is bound to have someone bringing up resetera (usually to just shit on it or complain about sjws or something) or linking something from here. They will never have a spine to admit it, but they are so, so bothered by the existence of this site that the entire forum is built as a counteract to resetera; I have only seen this level of pathetic in incel forums. Then again I guess they have the same userbase now.

So the best way to deal with that is the same way you deal with a troll: ignore and pay no attention, the troll is stripped out of his purpose and value then angrily fades back into his irrelevant echo chamber.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
my partner has been here for years and he always gets his game news here and talks about it so I thought I'd check it out cause I like forums. :#)
Now he will start talking about a topic and I'll be like "haha I saw that thread check my reply!" cause we always end up on the same threads. It doesn't shut down the conversation though we just talk about it even more.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
The Super Best Friends talked about GAF a lot, which made me look the place up. I decided to lurk for... let's say, three-ish years. Then it all went to hell. When this place got announced, I switched over to lurking on here. Eventually I decided to actually make an account. Before you know it... nothin'.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly to keep the drama subdued when ERA first launched, but these days it depends on the person. You can call it GAF, old place, etc.
IIRC that was never a rule - which actually was just to not to make threads about it. It's just that some people started doing that and it became kind of a meme.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I honestly don't even remember how I found this here as the gaf shit was going down while I was at Disneyworld and it was hard to follow all the threads that went up and got locked almost instantly. Pretty sure it was on Kotaku that I found it.