• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
My mom does this so often it's honestly alarming. Like is this how you get by in life? How exactly do you function at your job?

She just always makes assumptions. Almost every day she assumes that I haven't fed our dog. I just heard her loudly complained from downstairs (to herself) "oh my god he didn't feed her"

BASED ON WHAT??? How do you know I didn't feed her??? If anything I left behind evidence that I DID feed her, because I only gave my dog half of the food tray and stored the other half (I'm only supposed to give my dog half of the food tray a day).

She'll confidently say things about stuff she has no idea about, like medication. I'll ask her "what's your source? Did you get it from credible doctors and scholarly journals?" And she'll say no, unsurprisingly. She will reveal that she got it from her ass.

I find her assuming things almost every day. Like it's incredible.

She does this with foods she doesn't recognize. Like she'll say "oh my god will you stop buying this unhealthy garbage?" to low calorie gluten-free stuff that I'll buy lol. She's not the type to even consider looking at ingredients for her to even really know what's healthy and what isn't.

I just don't understand.

I'm sure I could've come up with 4738282 better examples but this is all I could think of at the moment.

What is the mentality behind this? A fear of acknowledging to yourself and to others that there's information out there that you *gasp* don't know?

Jun 14, 2019
So if I understand correctly, you fed your dog half of what it needs and you claim that as proof that your mother is irrational.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
So if I understand correctly, you fed your dog half of what it needs and you claim that as proof that your mother is irrational.

57909.jpg

OP, this is everyone's experience with their family lol i just got used to this

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand much here, it seems.

OP, my dad is kinda the same. He'll just start talking out of his ass about things and it drives my brother and I up the wall. In the last fifteen years it kind of came out of nowhere. He wasn't always this ridiculous. We live in the land of hyperbole around him.

pizzaparty

Oct 28, 2017
There wouldn't be internet message boards without people who speak confidently based entirely off of assumptions.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confidently assuming the post was done sarcastically/purposely like that because the OP doesn't like it.

But you never know...
I'm in a bad mood so I shouldn't have even responded. I'd probably type out something similar (in jest) on a given day. *shrug*

Nov 8, 2017
I feel extremely bad when I'm wrong about something and I try to be accurate as I can because of it (obviously this is not always possible since I'm human). My parents are / were both know-it-alls about many subjects and I distinctly remember the exact time in primary school when I repeated something they told me which turned out to be completely, verifiably wrong, and the associated shame. So from about grade 6 onwards, whenever my parents told me a salacious piece of information, I would usually try to verify it independently somehow, whether in a book or the internet or whatever.

I've also dated people who can't stand being corrected ever. I get there's a time and place, and nobody wants to be well-achtuallied all the time, but if you're lecturing me on something, and you're making core, fundamental errors, don't get shitty at me when I point them out in a polite manner (in private). IMO learning to accept the possibility that you might be wrong without feeling like it's an attack on your person is an important life skill.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Some people care more about looking right than being right. Or they care more about doing things their way, instead of the right way.

It's a power/control thing, but it could also be an anxiety thing. They don't want to look weak (ignorant) so badly that they'll overcompensate and act like a know-it-all instead.