• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who has a better case to get upset?

• B

Votes: 205 66.1%
  • A

Votes: 105 33.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most certainly. Think about it. Let's say:

A: Posts a spoiler. Let it be a mild or very mild one they don't consider worthy of withholding, as they believe its knowledge wouldn't impact one's enjoyment of a game/show/book/whatever. Or maybe the game/show/book is very old A considers it fair game.

B: "Hey, that's a spoiler, I'm mad!"

A: "No, it's not! It's irrelevant! Now I'm counter-mad! You can't even talk about XXX anymore these days!"

Let's assume that the spoiler is indeed mild. B expresses their dissatisfaction about getting spoiled, and what reason reason would they have to lie? It is reasonable to assume that most people who complain about spoilers were probably unhappy about getting spoiled. And no matter how irrelevant that spoiler is to A, it caused some measurable (if managable) harm to B. They might enjoy said media less for it, which sucks a bit or a lot, depending on the spoiler and the person. A on the other hand doesn't have a particularly strong case to get upset. They didn't get their show/game/book spoiled and no long-term harm was inflicted on them. Their feelings were clearly hurt for a little bit (else they'd not respond strongly), but it's temporary and presumably short-lived. A has the option to move on, B on the other hand can't get unspoiled. The damage is done.

I have therefore proven that complaining about spoiler culture is the epitome of nerd fragility.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
fuck people who get upset at mild spoilers

there's a reason they print summaries on the backs of books--so you can get an idea of what the book is about. not everything about a pop culture item is a spoiler.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, that's the people who complain about people who don't want spoilers.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You need to contextualise it more.

Is A posting that spoiler in a place that makes sense to, ie a thread discussing the story, or are they just blurting it out somewhere that people might not reasonably expect a spoiler?

Is it being posted on a forum (eg this one) that has a spoiler function that you can use to easily hide spoilers out of courtesy?

Is there a reason for a particular spike of interest in the media the spoiler is associated with, ie it's a new release game, a remake just got announced, it's just gone on game pass or whatever, or is an old game that there's not much chance that lots of people are discovering it for the first time?

Broadly speaking, the problem with vague spoilers is that they can have a cumulative effect. Eg, if I hear "Wait and see what happens to Strongarms McHero in chapter 4" then in another place "I can't believe the character death in the fourth chapter" even though they are two vague spoilers, they have combined to inform me that Strongarms McHero probably dies in chapter 4.

I don't think it's that hard to be courteous about spoilers, even if some people can overreact to some minor spoilers sometimes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
lmao the irony of this thread OP

Take a step back and read the language you're using and then read your post back to yourself as though it was written by someone else.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Not most fragile but goddamn annoying. They enter a thread and essentially go "Everyone, stop this discussion right now and cater to me!"

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
fuck people who get upset at mild spoilers

I get upset at mild spoilers. Anything you want to say to me?

I mean, the problem with your logic is - who gets to decide if a spoiler is "mild"?

And what do spoiler lovers actually gain by spoilers, anyway? Are they so impatient they can't wait to see the real thing? Talk about fragility.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
yeah sure it's the spoilerphobes and not the people review bombing and sending hate mail to devs who are the most fragile nerds

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All I got from this thread is that OP was made fun of for being mad at spoilers so they had to make a thread where they prove that they aren't fragile at all. I am thoroughly convinced, OP.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think things have to be black and white
some spoilers are inoffensive and some spoilers are rude to tell
Anyway if a story loses its value if the spoiler is told then it has no value to begin with

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Most certainly. Think about it. Let's say:

A: Posts a spoiler. Let it be a mild or very mild one they don't consider worthy of withholding, as they believe its knowledge wouldn't impact one's enjoyment of a game/show/book/whatever. Or maybe the game/show/book is very old A considers it fair game.

B: "Hey, that's a spoiler, I'm mad!"

A: "No, it's not! It's irrelevant! Now I'm counter-mad! You can't even talk about XXX anymore these days!"

Let's assume that the spoiler is indeed mild. B expresses their dissatisfaction about getting spoiled, and what reason reason would they have to lie? It is reasonable to assume that most people who complain about spoilers were probably unhappy about getting spoiled. And no matter how irrelevant that spoiler is to A, it caused some measurable (if managable) harm to B. They might enjoy said media less for it, which sucks a bit or a lot, depending on the spoiler and the person. A on the other hand doesn't have a particularly strong case to get upset. They didn't get their show/game/book spoiled and no long-term harm was inflicted on them. Their feelings were clearly hurt for a little bit (else they'd not respond strongly), but it's temporary and presumably short-lived. A has the option to move on, B on the other hand can't get unspoiled. The damage is done.

I have therefore proven that complaining about spoiler culture is the epitome of nerd fragility.

Ironically, this entire thing you did is the true epitome of nerd fragility. Why do you care if people feel these emotions to potential spoilers / non-spoilers?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Things like minor spoilers come down to personal judgement. Generally you should be aware that if you're gonna be on a site that discusses star wars you're gonna be exposed to basic elements of the story (Vader being lurks father for example).

More direct and specific spoilers about films or games that have just come out just suck. Saying for example that Ellie meets Nathan Drake's daughter at the end of TLOU2 (I made that up, obviously that doesn't happen) would ruin that for people who don't wanna be spoiled.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Since the topic reads "Most fragile nerds on the internet?", I'd have to say no, it's all those idiots crying about The Last of Us Part II because of the "SJW agenda".

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP is 100% correct and their weird attitude doesn't change that.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
All I got from this thread is that OP was made fun of for being mad at spoilers so they had to make a thread where they prove that they aren't fragile at all. I am thoroughly convinced, OP.

Lmao that was basically my assumption from the word "go", this is the epitome of this meme.
2f7.jpg

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Most times people spoil something it's because they're just lazy and inconsiderate, then when they get called out they get all defensive about it.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
I dont even know what i am reading but i hate spoilers. And with spoilers i mean stuff like he/she dies at the end or stuff like that.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that so many posts are hostile to OP. According to the poll 70% agree with their position.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Just don't spoil stuff. Even if you think it's mild. It's so effing easy lol.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Spoiler culture only serves to stifle substantial media discussion and coddle the intellectually stunted who place way too much importance on a bullet lists of plot points.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Why can't people just not be assholes to other people who care about spoilers, big and small.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people flirt with danger when it comes to spoilers if they are hyper sensitive. If you want to know nothing about a work before engaging with it... then don't go on forums that are discussing that work. It's incredibly easy.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Person A will always seem worse 99 times out of 100

Getting upset that someone cares about something you don't is peak petulance

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Don't go to discussion places if you want to have the most virgin experience possible. I think there's a reasonable threshold for what constitutes spoiler, but spoiler whining can often get into shitpost thread derailing, which then ruins discussion, which then ruins the purpose of even having a forum.

What the "well just don't spoil things!!" crowd don't realize is that the number of minute things of completely no consequence that gets someone out to whine about being spoiled just might as well have any talk of a game be hidden around an entire spoiler tag. It wasn't that long ago there was an ordeal of wanting some sufficient spoiler warning over being able to unlock the original version of a game in a remaster in a way that just wasn't feasible to title, and I'm sorry at that point it's a you problem.

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I get upset at mild spoilers. Anything you want to say to me?

I mean, the problem with your logic is - who gets to decide if a spoiler is "mild"?

And what do spoiler lovers actually gain by spoilers, anyway? Are they so impatient they can't wait to see the real thing? Talk about fragility.
fuck you

darth vader is luke's father

last of us II stars ellie

min min is the new arms rep in smash bros

i want to be able to discuss games or media without being limited by the vague notion of "spoilers"

dr jekyll is mr hyde

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People can always discuss spoilers by tagging them. It's really just a matter of clicking a button and you avoid being responsible for ruining the experience of someone who has yet to play or watch something. Anyone who makes a big deal out of having to do that one simple step will always be worse than people complaining about spoilers, no matter how small it may be.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, it's this:

Also the ones defending crunch because pAsSIoN; they just meant they can live with poor people being exploited.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The people who complain about people not liking them spoiling stuff are by far the worst. Especially when no one could give a fuck about their thoughts on the thing they spoiled to begin with or it's just said randomly.
Now say if someone enters a discussion that will be talking about spoilers and then get's upset over it, that's on them.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
fuck you

darth vader is luke's father

last of us II stars ellie

min min is the new arms rep in smash bros

i want to be able to discuss games or media without being limited by the vague notion of "spoilers"

dr jekyll is mr hyde
Proved the OP's point.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
depends on the context, mostly. why enter spoiler-prone conversations about things you want to experience if you're aware that your bar for what is and isn't a spoiler is significantly different from others?

this is the mindset i use as someone that doesn't really want to experience anything piecemeal prior to experiencing the work as a whole, and it covers Posting Online pretty well. IRL conversations have a little more nuance.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hate spoilers and its not hard to make thread titles that dont spoil shit for people. Navigating the front page and avoiding every topic with a TLOU title on it has made for a fucking annoying week haha

Perfect example was when Infinity War came out, I did a media lockdown and it was succesful as I wasnt spoiled by previews or whatever. I watch the movie on opening day and when I get out I check my news feed (Polygon, Kotaku, just general nerd info sites) for the first time in a week. The very FIRST article with a GIANT image was the big reveal of the movie in plain sight

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Don't go to discussion places if you want to have the most virgin experience possible. I think there's a reasonable threshold for what constitutes spoiler, but spoiler whining can often get into shitpost thread derailing, which then ruins discussion, which then ruins the purpose of even having a forum.
This is a good point if you somehow think this is the only way that games are spoiled. It could be in an unrelated Twitch chat. It could be a Twitter meme like "Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good". It could be a Kotaku article that comes out a week after the game that pops up because someone on your social media feed retweeted it. You don't have to go looking into a thread to get a spoiler and I think it's insane to expect someone to somehow ignore all discourse about a game like The Last of Us Part II if they don't expect to play the game right when it's released.

We also had that stupid Fire Emblem Three Houses thread yesterday with a title that very clearly paints the character in a light that wouldn't be obvious at the start of that game until things are revealed, which I think could easily change the way someone plays that game. I know a lot of people will say "Well, the game's about a year old", but that's still just kind of a stupid way to view experiences.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are a hell of a lot of fragile nerds on the internet. While I sympathise with various points of view around spoilers from old media, no 'side' in the discussion even comes close in fragility to white male nerd enclaves whinging about any regard for diversity and representation.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Just try not to spoil shit for people? I've never understood why this is hard for people.

/thread on the spoiler part.

But lol at this being the most fragile people. Go look at metacritic review bombing of Last of Us 2. If you can't handle a lesbian fictional character in a game you're pretty fragile.