• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to, but I feel 100% uncomfortable having to use Revive to buy Oculus store games.
Facebook just should open it up.

This exclusivity bullshit makes 0 sense

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Or you know Facebook could do the right thing and make more money. Why should I invest in content that I have to use unofficial software to play no thanks .

Games also break all the time Vader immortal use to crash all the time and now it's supper dark in revive.

github.com

Vader Immortal - Black Screen · Issue #1467 · LibreVR/Revive

Describe the bug Trying to launch Vader Immortal Episode I from the revive dashboard launches to a black screen and stays there. Task Manager reports WKND is not responding. The app does not launch...

It's just a hassle and I'm not going to reward Facebook for its shitty policies.
Genuine question, do you refuse to play console specific exclusives too?

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Will jump in as soon as it goes on sale again. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the last one, I really really really want to play it now after finishing Alyx but don't want to pay full price for a game that doesn't officially support my headset and could stop working at any moment.

edit-
Really want Asgard Wrath too but I keep reading it has performance issues so I'm waiting on my next PC upgrade to hopefully bruteforce that.

Last edited:

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Genuine question, do you refuse to play console specific exclusives too?

I own all the consoles you can drop the console war bullshit. Steam allows other headsets to play steam games oculus/Facebook lock everyone out but oculus user.

you also don't need third party software to play console games. so again this a really stupid comparison and reads like bait for an argument so good day.

i do wonder your motives when multiple posts in this thread say the same as mine why are you picking my comment. Real genuine question 🙄

just for clarification I literally say why I won't buy oculus games in that post so how is your post genuine like even a little.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great, but I'll wait and play it if it comes to Steam. If it never comes to Steam? There are plenty of great VR games on Steam I can get instead.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for the game to go on sale for weeks now... Come on Facebook... It's the right time to do it... do it

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
One of my greatest shames is that despite having owned every Oculus HMD since the CV1, I haven't played Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath or Stormlands. I've put 100+ hours in Echo Arena and Echo Combat but I haven't bit the bullet on Lone Echo yet. I really need to get on it.
This doesn't seem like a genuine question
I own all the consoles you can drop the console war bullshit. Steam allows other headsets to play steam games oculus/Facebook lock everyone out but oculus user.

you also don't need third party software to play console games. so again this a really stupid comparison and reads like bait for an argument so good day.

i do wonder your motives when multiple posts in this thread say the same as mine why are you picking my comment. Real genuine question 🙄

just for clarification I literally say why I won't buy oculus games in that post so how is your post genuine like even a little.
Well, you're dying on the hill that it's supposedly terrible that any company has software exclusive to their platform. While I have long held the belief that VR companies shouldn't be making exclusives as it stifles the growth of a still burgeoning platform, I find it weird that people will say that they refuse to jump through the relatively simple hoop of using Revive because they're so vehemently opposed to the idea of supporting an exclusive while I'd be willing to bet that the idea of exclusives hasn't kept you from playing things like Halo on Xbox or God of War on PlayStation. It's an arbitrary line in the sand that you're drawing.

And, while we're on the topic of VR exclusivity specifically, there were plenty of Vive exclusives back in the day when HTC were an actual competitor in the VR space and I'd be willing to bet that Index exclusives aren't off the table either but of course, only time will tell as so far, I believe that only the Aperture Hand Lab is an exclusive and that's hardware dependent so that makes sense.

Basically, I'm not engaging in "console war bullshit", trying to "gotcha!" or sling mud at anyone. I also own every console and multiple VR HMDs if that helps to convince you. All that I'm trying to say is that it seems weird to be so against the idea of exclusive titles on one platform whereas I'm sure this is a far less significant quandary when it comes to things like console exclusives. I'm just trying to understand the logic there.

Last edited:

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I want to, but I feel 100% uncomfortable having to use Revive to buy Oculus store games.
Facebook just should open it up.

This exclusivity bullshit makes 0 sense

I wouldn't say 0 sense...Oculus has pumped tons of money into their software, and it shows. Oculus has put out a consistent stream of quality games. They put their games on Steam and Valve automatically makes 30%...

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't say 0 sense...Oculus has pumped tons of money into their software, and it shows. Oculus has a consistent stream of quality games. They put their games on Steam and Valve automatically makes 30%...

right but they would also make tons of money opening the store up. I can name atleast 5-6 games I would buy right now.

It's probably easier for them to not have to maintain drivers for other devices but it seems like money on the table to me.

I just can't trust support won't be broken or completely disabled for revive. I have like 100 vr games or something in my steam library. I would do the same on the oculus store if it wasn't locked down.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
right but they would also make tons of money opening the store up. I can name atleast 5-6 games I would by right now.

I mean it's technically opened up with ReVive. They aren't actively blocking it, I think it's a mix of quality control and wanting people to buy their headsets. SteamVR has some pretty shoddy quality control in comparison, to be honest. I've used both for like 4 years and I prefer Oculus store by a long shot. Part of that is likely because they're creating games for their headsets alone. The only difference between what they're doing and say, Sony, is that it's PC. Which I do get kind of goes against the concept of PC....but then again you can still play their games on other headsets, so in some ways it's less closed than a console.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there are a lot of really good Oculus-"exclusive" games. Chronos is still one of my favorite VR games, easily.

I get why one wouldn't want to mess with Revive, I really do, but it's absolutely worth it.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
there are a lot of really good Oculus-"exclusive" games. Chronos is still one of my favorite VR games, easily.

I get why one wouldn't want to mess with Revive, I really do, but it's absolutely worth it.

Oh sweet thanks for reminding me about Chronos! I'm grabbing that now!

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I know it sounds petty, but Lone Echo's fake body completely killed the game for me. It was completely immersion-breaking, and it made me drop the game.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017

Oh sweet thanks for reminding me about Chronos! I'm grabbing that now!
Also weird tidbit people may not know about Chronos - it's sort of a prequel to Remnant From the Ashes and takes place in the same world.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Lone Echo is awesome. Honestly a lot of the tasks are kinda whatever but the atmosphere is incredible and I think the woman might be the most believable VR human I've ever seen.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
right but they would also make tons of money opening the store up. I can name atleast 5-6 games I would buy right now.

Not enough money.

There's no way to know this for sure since Facebook isn't going to reveal detailed financials, but I think it's fair to assume that they're losing money on most of their games—why else is no one else (save Valve, for exactly one title) producing VR content with as large a budget? It's because the market isn't big enough, no matter how many headsets you include.

Facebook, however, doesn't mind losing money as a way to build their ecosystem, which they think will be more lucrative over the long term. I think the implications of that are kind of crummy, but it is what it is.

What's great though is that there's actually a way to cheat the system—to experience Facebook's loss-leader VR content without buying into their ecosystem. And it's called Revive.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will it make me barf? I've had VR since Rift S was released and I find some games make my body upset. Snap movement works for me.

It has a very unique system of locomotion that doesn't seem to make many people sick. If you get sick, it's likely because you'd actually get sick in low gravity, not because of the usual things that cause VR sickness. I.e. if you're simulating barrel rolling in an afterburner jet in VR and get sick, there's always the possibility that it's rolling around through the air like on a roller coaster that made you sick, not artificial locomotion or flicker perception or any of the causes of VR sickness. Lone Echo is like that.

The locomotion system is one where you reach out and grab the world with your hands, then 'move' the world around you, with momentum. It feels very much like you are in space. It is one of the very best and most interesting locomotion systems in all of VR. There were small demos of this locomotion system made way back when the DK2 was around using razer hydras, designed specifically to test reducing VR sickness. It was found that tying proprioception (the ability for your body and hands to discern their real life position without you looking at them) to locomotion, a significantly lower number of people got sick than compared to traditional smooth locomotion. but Lone Echo took the concept and expanded it into a full game. For a long while, it was basically the biggest budget VR game.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Also Asgard's Wrath is a must play IMO.

Another great game is Stormland.

Also 2 md Football is fun.

Crocodilelogic

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not enough money.

There's no way to know this for sure since Facebook isn't going to reveal detailed financials, but I think it's fair to assume that they're losing money on most of their games—why else is no one else (save Valve, for exactly one title) producing VR content with as large a budget? It's because the market isn't big enough, no matter how many headsets you include.

Facebook, however, doesn't mind losing money as a way to build their ecosystem, which they think will be more lucrative over the long term. I think the implications of that are kind of crummy, but it is what it is.

What's great though is that there's actually a way to cheat the system—to experience Facebook's loss-leader VR content without buying into their ecosystem. And it's called Revive.

well aware of what revive is and i already discussed this multiple times in the thread as have others. the post you quoted I even said i don't trust facebook or revive not every game works perfectly to begin with on revive.

Deleted member 21996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will it make me barf? I've had VR since Rift S was released and I find some games make my body upset. Snap movement works for me.

I'm quite susceptible to VR nausea but Lone Echo's movement is so convincing I can happily play for hours without discomfort. Game does a good job of bedding you in gently too, it's about 2 hours in before you acquire the high speed thrusters. You could always try Echo VR for free anyway to see how you'd cope at the highest speeds. It has the same controls and customisability options.

Would also put Asgard's Wrath alongside Lone Echo as a shining example of a AAA VR adventure. Semi open-world and with a ton of systems to learn, it is another beautiful game that keeps unravelling the more you play.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
well aware of what revive is and i already discussed this multiple times in the thread as have others. the post you quoted I even said i don't trust facebook or revive not every game works perfectly to begin with on revive.

Oh, I knew you did, sorry for being unclear! My point was that I think people should be willing to use it.

I'm sure I won't convince you, but I really do see it as a way to "beat the system" and have it all. It's not compatible with everything but it is compatible with Lone Echo (and really, it works 95% of the time).

Last edited:

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
valve makes money from 3rd party key sales. The way 3rd party keys work is that the company who makes the game generates them in bulk, then sells them at a price they determine to 3rd party retailers, who then sell it to the public. When you buy a 3rd party game like Portal 2 on amazon.com, Valve gets paid.

Is this the case? I've never published an app on Steam, but my impression was that Steam keys were free to generate, within reasonable limits. Steamworks documentation seems to back this up:
Steamworks Documentation said:
Steam keys are meant to be a convenient tool for game developers to sell their game on other stores and at retail. Steam keys are free and can be activated by customers on Steam to grant a license to a product.

I liked Lone Echo pretty well, replayed it a couple of months ago. One weakness it had that was surprising was its lack of soundtrack, silence makes sense in open space a lot of the time, but it really stuck out during certain moments like the flybys/flythroughs of the giant ship. I hope the sequel goes further with its mechanics, its movement is really cool and unique and I wonder how it can be expanded and refined.

And of course I'd like resolution to that brutal cliffhanger ending, it felt like the story was just getting started!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the case? I've never published an app on Steam, but my impression was that Steam keys were free to generate, within reasonable limits. Steamworks documentation seems to back this up:

Steam Keys are free to generate, that doesn't have anything to do with what I said. The person releasing the game on steam generates a pile of keys freely, then sells them to 3rd party stores in lumps. This is why stores like Amazon can actually "sell out" of steam keys.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Steam Keys are free to generate, that doesn't have anything to do with what I said. The person releasing the game on steam generates a pile of keys freely, then sells them to 3rd party stores in lumps. This is why stores like Amazon can actually "sell out" of steam keys.

But how does does Valve make money from those keys if they're free for the developer to generate?

(Valve benefits indirectly from the keys forcing more users onto their platform, where they're more likely to buy games through Steam itself in the future—but that's a bit different)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But how does does Valve make money from those keys if they're free for the developer to generate?

THEY DON'T. That's the entire point of the system. That's why all the talk about "competition" regarding EGS is bullshit. Valve allows Steam Key Generation, which allows other stores to compete with them while still using the steam API, because their opinion is that "rising tide raises all ships." Getting more devs using the standard libraries rolled into the steam client means a unified development platform which, to them, ultimately leads to more people coming to PC gaming and eventually to steam.

Valve does not make any money at all from keys generated unless they are sold on steam. This it the way it's always worked. If you sell your key off of steam, you keep 100% of the sale.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
THEY DON'T. That's the entire point of the system. That's why all the talk about "competition" regarding EGS is bullshit. Valve allows Steam Key Generation, which allows other stores to compete with them while still using the steam API, because their opinion is that "rising tide raises all ships." Getting more devs using the standard libraries rolled into the steam client means a unified development platform which, to them, ultimately leads to more people coming to PC gaming and eventually to steam.

Valve does not make any money at all from keys generated unless they are sold on steam. This it the way it's always worked. If you sell your key off of steam, you keep 100% of the sale.
I must've been confused. Looking back, I see you were originally talking about a Valve game being sold somewhere other than Steam, where of course Valve would still get paid. It's games that aren't from Valve itself but are sold on Steam that Valve doesn't get paid for when Steam keys for them are sold somewhere other than Steam, right? For the record, I'm in complete agreement that EGS' exclusivity practices are utter bullshit, and Valve's openness with key generation is fantastic, one of the strongest if not the single strongest foundational element of the modern PC market. Also a fan of your posts in general :)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why did you say earlier that:

That's the part I was asking about. I'm just confused! Thanks!

Valve makes no money when a developer generates keys and sells them to a 3rd party store. Rather, the developer and that third party story make money, the store pays the developer to sell their game.

If valve sells their own games on third party stores, then they are the developer in that scenario. So obviously they get money.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019

I must've been confused. Looking back, I see you were originally talking about a Valve game being sold somewhere other than Steam, where of course Valve would still get paid. It's games that aren't from Valve itself but are sold on Steam that Valve doesn't get paid for when Steam keys for them are sold somewhere other than Steam, right? For the record, I'm in complete agreement that EGS' exclusivity practices are utter bullshit, and Valve's openness with key generation is fantastic, one of the strongest if not the single strongest foundational element of the modern PC market. Also a fan of your posts in general :)