• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I get the OP's point, and as much as it does sound like something ridiculously bitter, they actually have a valid point.

There's the people on social media (usually Facebook) that any time you share a story about Trump or something else awful happening in the news, or comment about it, they'll say "Why do you have so much negativity? You need to be more positive!" Or they'll say "I don't want all the negativity surrounding politics so I'll refrain from talking about it.", meanwhile the very next day they share the Tweet from Trump a long time ago that said he was going to ban trans people from the military, saying it's "good". I kid you not one guy shared that tweet back when Trump made it and said it was "good". I ask why they think it's good and they say "I don't want to talk about it." so I ask why they shared it in the first place if they had zero interest in talking about it, and of course never got a straight answer.

Often a lot of those types of people tie in with religion too, although that could just be a symptom of where I grew up (rural Texas). I see a lot of "You need Jesus in the life, that's the answer to all your problems!".

So while OP's post does sound incredibly bitter, I actually do understand what they're talking about and it's something that annoys me too. Often constantly sharing things about "positive vibes" and "too much negativity" is just a front and incredibly fake.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
What if they say, "this sentence is a lie" -- then are they really lying pieces of trash???

Last edited:

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad your anecdotal evidence of *checks notes* 1 person is enough for you to label every positive person on social media trash.

Clearly this is a thought provoking thread.

I'm glad I'm not as miserable and bitter as a lot of people on this forum.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Be the rainbow you wish to see in the sky and the gold at the end shall be yours to enrich your soul

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
OP is right.

There are genuinely good people who spread positivity and it reflects just how they are. Treasure those people.

Then, there are people who are all about positivity and good vibes online, but who are actually selfish, narcissitic people who can revel in putting other people down in their interpersonal relationships. Those people are the ones OP is referring to.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Cliche as hell, but I don't mind repeating it. "Don't compare somebody else's highlight reel to your behind-the-scenes footage". Many people, when posting on social media or when they know that they are being recorded and the footage will land within the permanence of the internet, will project an augmented version of themselves. Many people on social media love the attention they receive, and often the minute-to-minute real-life version of that person is much different than what you see on Instagram or wherever.

Also, let's be honest. Is there anything worse than people dragging ass on social media, being low energy, and complaining? Who wants to "follow" that or get updates about that? Who wants to watch 10-15 seconds of somebody being crabby and miserable? People are positive on social media because being positive sells. Social media is just one many forms of escapism, so why in the world would anybody desire to escape to more mundane misery?

Finally, there are many genuinely positive, high-energy people. I know plenty of people in real life who are charismatic, funny, attractive, witty, and have extremely strong social skills. I see their content on social media and I think, "yup, that's them". As others have said, cherish these unicorns. They're the prototypes for what all the fake-ass people are trying to emulate.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP is right.

There are genuinely good people who spread positivity and it reflects just how they are. Treasure those people.

Then, there are people who are all about positivity and good vibes online, but who are actually selfish, narcissitic people who can revel in putting other people down in their interpersonal relationships. Those people are the ones OP is referring to.
Groupthink is another way that this type of behavior emerges from that latter group of people. Positivity as a social norm becomes a source of control over others used to manipulate people and quash dissent.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yup. I noticed this with a wife's friend. She's always posting garbage about 'positive vibes' on social media, but spend any real amount of time with her and it very quickly becomes apparent she's a piece of shit, which is fair enough, I'm a piece of shit sometimes too, but I don't pretend not to be one on social media.

What's up with this fake ass shit, social media has created too many sociopaths/narcissists/pieces of shit. Or maybe it's just exposing them more.

So she is a fake? that is fine. But there are people who are positive online, who are actually positive in their daily life.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Being negative all the time is bad for your health.

I have a friend who always preaches positivity, but that doesn't mean she can't get annoyed or angry, it's how she handles those situations after the fact is what makes her a better person than me.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a niece that constantly posts pictures of horses, motivational quotes, and fucking motivational quotes over pictures of fucking horses. I blocked her quite a while ago for that.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I just joined Instagram a couple of months ago. I won't lie, I was genuinely surprised at how much motivational drivel there is.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Including your posts and threads. I feel if you disengaged from the news mmore or were able to depersonalise all the bad stuff happening in the world and not take it on your shoulders, you might feel better.
That last one had to be a joke, right? Like, that is some first-year-of-high-school, just-learned-how-tough-life-can-be-for-other-people level melodrama...

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i don't see it being wrong if they want to give off positive vibes even though they might be a negative person IRL. as long as its not hurting anyone i don't see it a problem.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I'm a positive person most of the time, but I don't post about positivity and happiness on social, because I think it's kind of rude, and it's sort of ableist toward people with depression, etc.

But some people are just upbeat. It's how it is. Not everyone is a liar or a "piece of trash" just because you conducted a study with a sample size of *checks notes* one person.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Miles please stop making threads every time an idea pops into your head. And I disagree vehemently with your assessment on positively. For a lot of people it's therapeutic.

Right on!

Some of us are very positive, because we choose to be. It doesn't mean there is not a war going on in our head to fight off the negative thoughts though.

My favorite saying, "Try being positive, it's more fun."

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know what you're talking about op. These kinds of people are really shallow in real life and probably a pain the ass.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
My wife's friend and her husband are super lovey dovey and positive to each other on Facebook, but in real life I'm not sure how they are still married. Being around them for any social gatherings is usually bad. At some point there will be some kind of extremely uncomfortable argument or comments made to each other, that shouldn't even be said in private, let alone in front of other people. Their families are awful too, rife with Trump supporter type conservatives.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I would rather see infinite positive posts even if that person isn't pleasant to be around than a single post like the OP.

Oct 27, 2017
You're doing social media wrong. I just use instagram to follow attractive people. Who cares about what people you barely know are doing; if you did, you'd call/text/meet up with them.
I did that once. I ended up seeing post after post about eating ass, money over everything, looking out for number 1, and lost 98% of my hope in humanity.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Same goes for all the "We need to be not so divided and come together and respect each other even if we disagree" folks. Fuck off.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
My wife's friend and her husband are super lovey dovey and positive to each other on Facebook, but in real life I'm not sure how they are still married. Being around them for any social gatherings is usually bad. At some point there will be some kind of extremely uncomfortable argument or comments made to each other, that shouldn't even be said in private, let alone in front of other people. Their families are awful too, rife with Trump supporter type conservatives.

I don't mind people being overly positive (when they're a negative person IRL), but this shit right here... I fucking hate.

My exes brother and his wife, perfect example, always yelling at each other and emotionally abusing each other (i.e. you're a whore, you're a fucking loser dad etc etc). It was beyond uncomfortable, to the point where it escalated and I had to bailed out the brother once because he made some very serious verbal threats. All the while the wife would post pictures of them with their kids always saying how perfect their life was and how amazing of a husband she has... fake as shit. He even liked her posts! I called him out on it one day and the only excuse he could muster up was that he was doing it for the kids...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

social media is just kayfabe, not worth following. It's an unhealthy lens with which to view the world around you through. This is a good example.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Step aside, negativity. I'm about to blast this thread with positive thinking!

"Fake it til you make it" is a valid approach to being a more positive person, which I would think is a good thing. Sarcasm can be a good defense mechanism but can be really draining like others say... no need to push that on others. That's being a crab in a bucket.
Fake it 'til you make it, b*tch.

One thing I've found that actually works to keeping a genuine smile on my face and staying positive throughout the day is to think back to happy and/or funny memories.

There's definitely some truth to "Fake it, 'til you make it.", although it's arguably not as simple as the advice would make it seem.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
OP based on this thread and past threads you have made, you seem like a very harshly judgmental person.

I dunno why you feel the need to shit on other peoples' habits all the time.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I noticed this as well lol. People who gossip and are huge pieces of shit tend to post "positive" memes and quotes constantly all day.

Their cognitive dissonance must be overbearing.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
You're doing social media wrong. I just use instagram to follow attractive people. Who cares about what people you barely know are doing; if you did, you'd call/text/meet up with them.
Lol yep. It's all about booty pics, the shade room, Worldstar, cars without borders, and booty pics. Why you would clutter your social media with inane shit like the random musings of someone with a tenuous connection to you is beyond me.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I got enough people on facebook that to look at their FB page you would think they are really active, healthy, caring and polite people but in reality they are coke heads who are huge dicks to people and spend 6 days a week drinking themselves into oblivion and talk shit about everyone.

What you see on FB/insta and what's really going on seem to be pretty separate from one another most of the time in my experience.

Same goes for Tinder

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's very nice to call your wife's friend a lying piece of trash, what the fuck...

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
Perhaps I'm guilty of this. I don't post positive quotes and stuff like that but the things I share are generally highlights and things happening that I'm proud of. I never post "bad" things unless I think people will find it funny (i.e. when I went to war with the groundhog who snuck into my basement) or interesting.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Unless you told her to her face she is a piece of shit, you are doing the same.
Not really unless we know his wife's friend. People are allowed to have feelings about someone without confronting them about it. It doesnt equate to gossip or shit talk when you are addressing a group of strangers about someone they have no idea who they are. Now if he were to call her a piece of shit to her face, that would make him more of an asshole IMO. If he is going around saying this to a bunch of mutual friends then I would agree.