• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Basically the biggest opposition to progressive policies is racist white people who've grown up in racially isolated places. How do we fix this?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
A thing that a lot of leftists need to realise, is that simply promising leftist policies isn't good enough to create some grand political change or class awareness. Especially some big Bernie fans need to understand this.

While nationalised broadband was arguably stupid to try and make a deal of in this manifesto/election, us Scots are continually politely reminding the English that they can simply look north in the Union and see free education, prescriptions and things like the Nurses bursary being retained.

I also politely say the same thing to Americans ranting like fucking nutjobs that free healthcare for all is Communism to look at most of Europe.

There comes a point where it's not simply an ideological battle over potential, but people have literal facts/nations to look to, that show them things a politician might be advocating can be done and have been done successfully.

If voters won't listen in such cases or still run about their garden screaming "Red scare" and "Communism" like drugged up nutters, the blame has to lie on them at this point, not finger-wagging those who want a better and fairer country.

Centrists trying to stand in the way of progress has to be fought now, not a cup of tea poured to "listen to their fears", which usually amount to nothing more productive than "Fuck poor people getting help, what about my taxes? Do you expect me to contribute towards education for all? This is America, I am what I earn, fuck you, I have mine, everyone else just needs to work harder".

Last edited:

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
These people are in a vulnerable and highly unstable position. Expecting them naturally to have an enlightened view of their prediciment is probably unfair. Of course some people on the street even could be nasty arseholes, it doesn't preclude that. It also doesn't preclude them being taken advantage of. Expecting enlightenment from suffering is problematic in my opinion. I mostly blame the press and as well as the selfish attitudes floating around amongst much of the public.

Also people saying that have no sympathy? fucking hell. why not direct your malice to those responsible. It is often easy if you know enough about the world to pick out the hypocracy of reactionary judgemental people. It is harder to be a good person in a well rounded sense than many think.
If you're going to go with the worldview of "well, it's not anyone's fault they voted Tory..." I mean, where do you even go from there? Do you try and take down democracy?

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The British media did their job well. Gonna be plenty of blood to go on the hands of all those responsible in the years to come.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way you'll see the balance redressed is if there is a huge left wing newspaper magnate who is able to bread the right wing grip on the U.K. The way Murdoch did this was by making the Sun 10p back in the 90s and extending their reach over time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the posts here... When the poor decide to vote for a candidate you don't support then they're immediately stupid and deserve no sympathy. How dare they refuse your glorious justice.

If someone holds a gun to your head, they fumble with it and you pick it up and hand it back to them, at some point you aren't blameless that the situation continues the way it was going.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I can't imagine being in that position, (although in the late seventies I remember how bad it was for us as a poor family with no jobs), and not researching which party to vote for to help improve my life. Just ask questions, go to the library, think about how you ended up in this position, who was in government.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the biggest opposition to progressive policies is racist white people who've grown up in racially isolated places. How do we fix this?

Let me introduce you to the great Liberal strategy to replace Corbynism. We just have to hold our nose while our pragmatic allies talk about how we're such a drain on the economy because white people need to be coddled.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool and all but while you are busy having no sympathy, a bunch of people are being manipulated into voting against their own interests.

The left needs to be able to fight the propaganda machine and win back these voters. I don't know how to do it, but I don't think a lack of sympathy is the answer.
...because we're now living in the same Tory hell hole and we tried to warn them?

They do not have my sympathy, at all. That doesn't mean I won't try again.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is a true tragedy.

I hope upon hope that one day these media barons see everything they cling so tightly to turn to ash in their hands.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The sham is obvious to see if you aren't starving to death. This is a huge problem.

The one guy did say he switched to vote to labor because they have better plans for the poor tho. @op

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I try and live with love and compassion in my heart but it is extremely difficult to see these people (especially the woman running the food bank) say they don't know who to vote for but are fed up of their situation. The media has turned this election into a popularity contest, rather than a policy or party one and people have lost sight that it is Tory austerity measures which has helped put them in their current position. I honestly don't know how people don't see it. You can only blame the media so much. This election will tear the country apart

Oct 25, 2017

As always, working class only means white.

From a 2017 report on poverty in the UK:

From a 2018 JRF report:

And yet, those groups, despite being far poorer than white and Indian households , still overwhelmingly reject the Tory party. (About 5% of the Pakistani/Bangladeshi community vote Tory. Black Caribbean community is also single digits for Tory voting %)

So if it's not income, or class, or education then what could it be that makes all these white people vote Tory...

TAqQtzc.gif

Thanks for doing the work I was too lazy to, the results were what I was expecting. Hopefully those trying to defend bigots as being poor sods taken advantage of pull their heads out their ass.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty condescending to view the working poor as a bunch of infantile voters who don't know anything about their circumstances. Minorities like myself, especially those who are poor, are never given such a luxury to fail and screw up time and time over again. At some point, we are going to have to realize that even those at the lowest economics section of our society can be just as ignorant, selfish, and as willing to spite themselves for cultural identification as anyone else. That is something that I learned as a minority a long time ago. And that is universal across the world, in the US as much as in the UK.

As always, working class only means white.

From a 2017 report on poverty in the UK:

From a 2018 JRF report:

And yet, those groups, despite being far poorer than white and Indian households , still overwhelmingly reject the Tory party. (About 5% of the Pakistani/Bangladeshi community vote Tory. Black Caribbean community is also single digits for Tory voting %)

So if it's not income, or class, or education then what could it be that makes all these white people vote Tory...

TAqQtzc.gif

Well said. As someone from a Black African migrant background myself, I know this too well. Even when my parents were not fully fluent in English, they somehow knew better than to ever vote for the Tories. Because they knew that no matter what, that would be shooting themselves in the foot. This is despite them also having to struggle with much more, being ethnic minorities, religious minorities and refugees from a war torn country.

The fact of the matter is that a certain subset of the country are willing to shoot themselves in the foot if it means those scary foreigners will also be screwed over in the process. At some point you have to stop giving racists a pass because they're poor. Poor minorities are somehow not 'misinformed' despite having even more disadvantages. Go figure.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I'd love to see stats on what percentage of white folk went labour to tory this election.
People that keep solely hounding on Corbyn as the sole reason for the loss can only see it from one perspective. As if these voters who decided that Boris was acceptable were somehow abandoned.
There was only ever going to be one thing and one thing only that would have stopped people voting for Boris and that's if he suddenly said Brexit is cancelled.
They voted for him because they want that shit done because they either hate foreigners or don't give a single fuck about them.
Which is why i -struggle- to garner any kind of sympathy for them.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
If you're going to go with the worldview of "well, it's not anyone's fault they voted Tory..." I mean, where do you even go from there? Do you try and take down democracy?

I am not saying that. I am saying people often overegg the agency part. People's actions are much more shaped by context than often the story they tell about themselves implies. Sure the are homeless people who are in general assholes, because of course nobody is just a homeless person, just the same as no one is just a home owner. People are multiples. Still, if people are very much voting against their own interests, the important question to ask is why? Not simply devolve in a blame game. Of course there is responsibility involved, but there is also more than that. I would always say with greater means and power comes greater responsibility.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
While nationalised broadband was arguably stupid to try and make a deal of in this manifesto/election, us Scots are continually politely reminding the English that they can simply look north in the Union and see free education, prescriptions and things like the Nurses bursary being retained.

I also politely say the same thing to Americans ranting like fucking nutjobs that free healthcare for all is Communism to look at most of Europe.

There comes a point where it's not simply an ideological battle over potential, but people have literal facts/nations to look to, that show them things a politician might be advocating can be done and have been done successfully.

If voters won't listen in such cases or still run about their garden screaming "Red scare" and "Communism" like drugged up nutters, the blame has to lie on them at this point, not finger-wagging those who want a better and fairer country.

Centrists trying to stand in the way of progress has to be fought now, not a cup of tea poured to "listen to their fears", which usually amount to nothing more productive than "Fuck poor people getting help, what about my taxes? Do you expect me to contribute towards education for all? This is America, I am what I earn, fuck you, I have mine, everyone else just needs to work harder".

I understand what you're saying, however blaming voters just seems like almost a cop out, especially when I'm not advocating for "finger wagging", I'm advocating for progressive movements to be more introspective and to question some of the base political assumptions which we're making.

I care about making the society I live in the most progressive that it can be. I can't radically change the voting population at large to make them want what I want, that's not productive to me, however I can advocate for progressive communities that I'm a part of (both online and offline) to be a little more introspective in ways which might make us more effective.

Let me introduce you to the great Liberal strategy to replace Corbynism. We just have to hold our nose while our pragmatic allies talk about how we're such a drain on the economy because white people need to be coddled.

Yeah, fuck that shit. You're right though, this is deffo going to happen.

These places need to change. The all white rural town is poisonous and needs to change.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not only that the left should communicate their ideas better, it's also that the right should lie less, if at all.

But who owns the media? Yeah we're fucked.

Oct 29, 2017
Democracy needs a free press to work. In the UK we don't have a free press, we have an oligarchical press and so long as this exists, the poor will suffer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the "these people were taken advantage of/manipulated into voting against their interests" school of thought is that it doesn't really grapple with the possibility that when people vote conservative, they actually aren't being manipulated and are in fact making a conscious choice to hurt themselves as long as it means hurting immigrants and non-white people more. This is exactly what happened with Trump and will happen again in 2020. Despite real economic pain being inflicted on them by Trump's trade policies -- *actual economic anxiety* precisely because of the man they voted -- many midwestern, working-class whites will vote for Trump again next year because it means building the wall and deporting immigrants. And it seems especially baffling to me that anyone would be ignorant about what a vote for Tories would mean for their own quality of life given that the UK has a Tory government for years already.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A part of me feels sorry for them, they're obviously being manipulated and the manipulators will just as obviously not repay their favour, but then the other 99% of me considers their motivations to be so easily manipulated against their own interests and I'm like sod it. Can't be sympathetic as a result.

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
I cant help myself reading all these threads and articles, its like watching a car crash in hyperslow motion.

I myself had a row with my mum, who uses the NHS more than most and is arguably classed as "poor" after she said to me she voted tory because "he said he would get brexit done" and that "we arnt a rich country so cant afford all the labour policys".
"I dont need free wifi in ten years" was also said.

Was absolutely blown away. She really had gobbled up all the fucking sky news lies.
We have like the 7th or something highest GDP in the world, we dont tax mega corporations or people who earn absurdly more money, companys which should be national make profits and pay their boards millions in bonuses. Like CMON ON

Oct 25, 2017
Where did the article mention or even hint at this? How has this gone from them being idiots to them being racist idiots? We don't know their reasons for voting, whoever they voted for.

I posted stats about UK poverty and ethnicity in this thread.

Why don't minority voters that are unemployed or living in poverty vote Tory? Why is an immigrant with less education, for whom English isn't a first language, not misled in the same way their white counterpart is?

Gee I wonder why...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This callousness makes my blood boil.

They were taken advantage of.

How much more do these people need to be coddled before they are no longer "taken advantage of?" They have brains, they can use them.

Why don't minority voters that are unemployed or living in poverty vote Tory? Why is an immigrant with less education, for whom English isn't a first language, not misled in the same way their white counterpart is?

Gee I wonder why...

tumblr_p6h4vgdy4Y1v1fssvo1_400.gif

Hmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
pressing that vote tory button for that racism dopamine rush until it kills them.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017

When I ask my European friends to describe us — Americans, Brits, who I'll call Anglo-Americans in this essay — they shake their heads gently. And over and over, three themes emerge. They say we're a little thoughtless. They say we're selfish and arrogant. And they say that we're cruel and brutal.
I can't help but think there's more than a grain of truth. That they're being kind. Anglo-American society is now the world's preeminent example of willful self-destruction. It's jaw-dropping folly and stupidity is breathtaking to the rest of the world.
The hard truth is this. America and Britain aren't just collapsing by the day…they aren't even just choosing to collapse by the day. They're entering a death spiral, from which there's probably no return. Yes, really. Simple economics dictate that, just like they did for the Soviet Union — and I'll come to them.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017

When I ask my European friends to describe us — Americans, Brits, who I'll call Anglo-Americans in this essay — they shake their heads gently. And over and over, three themes emerge. They say we're a little thoughtless. They say we're selfish and arrogant. And they say that we're cruel and brutal.
I can't help but think there's more than a grain of truth. That they're being kind. Anglo-American society is now the world's preeminent example of willful self-destruction. It's jaw-dropping folly and stupidity is breathtaking to the rest of the world.
The hard truth is this. America and Britain aren't just collapsing by the day…they aren't even just choosing to collapse by the day. They're entering a death spiral, from which there's probably no return. Yes, really. Simple economics dictate that, just like they did for the Soviet Union — and I'll come to them.
Yup. And for a deeper dive on why, I strongly recommend David Andress' Cultural Dementia. Great read.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This shit has hit everyone. I spent last week with a doctor. She voted for remain but said that everything would be fine with brexit and the EU needed to sort stuff out like straight bananas. I really despair.

Talking to people I know before the election it was clear how effective the hatchet job had been.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land

we absolutely fucked ourselves over by calling us 'great' britain, giving xenophobic nationalists some kind of ego rush that we are an infallible country of chosen people that 1) can hold out on our own like during the height of the empire and 2) have some kind of protected 'culture' that can't possibly ever include people of colour

hence brexit

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

As someone who laments the current state of Western society, I find the hyperbole in the article ridiculous:

To understand that point, consider the fact that you yourself probably think that's an overstatement. But it's an empirical reality. The Soviet Union stagnated for thirty years. America's stagnated for fifty, and Britain for twenty. The Soviet Union couldn't provide basics for its citizens — hence the famous breadlines. In America, people beg each other for money to pay for insulin and antibiotics, decent food is unavailable in vast swathes of the country, and retirement and paying off one's debt are impossibilities: just like in the Soviet Union, basics are becoming both unavailable and unaffordable. What happens? People…die.

Right there we see the hyperbole that seeks to compare two vastly different situations as equal, even despite him trying to stave off that this is an overstatement. The Soviet Union literally could no longer provide basic services to its citizens. It literally could not provide food. Literally you had to wait in line for moldy bread. He then switches to America stating "decent food is unavailable in vast swatches of the country." That is NOT the same. First, please classify what is "decent" food? Vegetables? High quality beef? Food is plentiful in America, our poor are not starving. Are they eating nutritiously? No, but neither are a great majority of Americans. Healthy food is available and affordable, but capitalism, marketing, and ease has made junk food easier to palate. People are not dying from hunger, they are dying from a capitalist system that has sold them sugar water in replace of actual water.

Then there's the vision of diabetes patines begging on the street for insulin. Like, come on that is not what is going on. The economy is America is at an all time great. This is FAAARRRR from the Soviet Union failing to provide basic necessities to its people. What instead we face is a greater separation between the haves and the have nots. Everyone has a job, but nobody has gotten a raise in 30 years while corporations continue to make record profits. Everyone having a job means everyone also likely has some form of healthcare, but the quality and coverage differs vastly based on your income level. Your basic healthcare needs are covered, but it's those that have serious medical needs who are hurting.

Honestly, the problem here is that things are too fine to shake the people into wishing for greater change. This is the reason Biden remains popular. When the economy keeps trucking along fine and everyone has a job, it's hard to convince people that you need to overhaul the system. They're concerned with keeping what they've already got. The last time this country actually had breadlines, we instituted the greatest socialist takeover of the country that was a beautiful sight to see. But, it took a Great Depression before people finally decided that maybe, just maybe the government can provide services to help people instead of asking for a tax cut every year.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have been seeing a lot of that and yea have some fucking empathy, there was a massive media campaign smearing Corbyn and the Labour party throughout and people in poverty often don't have the time or resources to stay more informed than that, they're just trying to get through to the next day. Ire should be directed at the Tories and the media apparatus that their hands are all over.
That's cool and all but while you are busy having no sympathy, a bunch of people are being manipulated into voting against their own interests.

The left needs to be able to fight the propaganda machine and win back these voters. I don't know how to do it, but I don't think a lack of sympathy is the answer.
Chicken and egg, and all that, but I always feel that Liverpool and its lack of The fucking Sun is an interesting data point.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I will never get people who are poor and vote Tory or GOP.

It is SO fucking EASY. Those two parties are designed to make more money for corporations and rich people. They tack on "values" because they need some headline causes to distract the voters they are hurting the most from that very fact.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I understand what you're saying, however blaming voters just seems like almost a cop out, especially when I'm not advocating for "finger wagging", I'm advocating for progressive movements to be more introspective and to question some of the base political assumptions which we're making.

I care about making the society I live in the most progressive that it can be. I can't radically change the voting population at large to make them want what I want, that's not productive to me, however I can advocate for progressive communities that I'm a part of (both online and offline) to be a little more introspective in ways which might make us more effective.

Yeah, fuck that shit. You're right though, this is deffo going to happen.

These places need to change. The all white rural town is poisonous and needs to change.

Uh, Scotland's demographics

In 2011, 84% of Scotland's population reported their ethnicity as 'White: Scottish' and a further 8% as 'White: Other British'. Together, minority ethnic groups and white non-British groups (which include 'White: Irish', 'White: Polish', 'White: Gypsy/ Traveller' and 'White: Other white') made up 8% of the total population.

The percentage of people in Scotland from minority ethnic groups had doubled to 4%, up from 2% in 2001.

Black Scottish people (also referred to as the Afro-Scots or Black Scots) represent approximately 0.7 percent of the total population of Scotland.[1]

The English can't just get off the hook by going "there's too many white people".

Scotland hasn't returned a Conservative majority to Westminster since like 1955 or something https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Scotland

Classism has destroyed England for generations and the Monarchy and Queen bullshit has played a massive role. The monarchy needs to be abolished. The Queen and Royal family have to go. Not to mention all of this coming off the back of a history of colonialism. So much of the culture in the UK, but predominantly England, is steeped in relishing stamping your boot on those you feel are weaker or less well off as yourself.

That's ramped up to over 9,000 with the way the British press support the poverty Olympics and being derogatory to anyone on benefits/disabled.

Minorities coming into England to live might be less enriched by the bullshit of the UK to start with, but I'm sorry to say sometimes 3rd/4th+ generations of minorities who live in England fall to the wayside of all of the above, and if you watch an episode of BBCQT you can often see the BBC having handpicked black or minority audience members who scream about Brexit and how voting Conservative protects them/makes them richer.

There's multiple cultural issues going on in England, with very deep roots. Often those voting Conservative will do it irrespective of their own poverty/issues because the British way is voting for the party that will make those even poorer than you suffer more. It gives you a false sense of thinking you're actually upper-class simply because you vote Conservative. Look at the polls in England that report people feel Corbyn was more like them/is more trustworthy, but Boris was more prime ministerial. Why? He's a well-educated rich posh Eton boy. Classism.

England will never improve until the rampant classism is tackled, and as a Scot, fuck hanging around any longer for that day. We need to be independent, the UK, let alone the Royal Family, needs to be abolished.

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Gee I wonder why...

Oh I don't doubt that there is racism in the mix, but you ask the question at the end of that post, what is it that makes these poor white people vote tory when poor POC people don't, and it implies it's because of racism, as if they couldn't be voting for other reasons. Which they absolutely could be doing.

What I get from this article is that it highlights just how uneducated politically the population can be, and that's what I find infuriating. It reminded me of the brexit vote, and how someone I worked with at the time decided to vote leave because "Boris has nice fluffy blonde hair". People can be incredibly stupid at times.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
I will never get people who are poor and vote Tory or GOP.

It is SO fucking EASY. Those two parties are designed to make more money for corporations and rich people. They tack on "values" because they need some headline causes to distract the voters they are hurting the most from that very fact.
Right, but the other party will also make things better for foreigners and brown people.

Yes, poor people are exploited. Yes, poor people are preyed upon with lies and propaganda. But they can also be really fucking nasty and racist too - they're not innocent just because their standards of living are below western expectations.