• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The thing though is, there's just simply not enough time to keep up with everything and most certainly if you're not well off financially, there's no way you'll be able to keep up with it all either. The reality is, if you're not well off financially, you're not going to be able to play every big game released in a year, you're not going to be able to watch every theatrical movie, you're not going to be able to watch every big streaming show, and you're not going to be able to read every book. So all you're doing is denying the hard reality of what you're trying to accomplish and keep up with when it's not obtainable.

That is the reality, and I at least tried acknowledged that in my post lol However the reality should not be that things will only get worse, with the gap ever-widening between those who can "keep up" and those who can't. People who use the actions and arguments I listed actively prop up a culture where that gap is inherent, and seemingly accepted; it would be better for all of us to make one where "keeping up" wasn't even that big an issue to begin with.

Essentially I just don't like how the response to a literal increase in the proverbial 'gap' between different gaming classes is to increase it on a cultural sense as well. If that makes any sense lol

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading that a 10$ hike isn't a big deal and it's a bit funny when I think of a sidequest I did yesterday in Yakuza 0
This is especially hilarious because it implies Majima is responsible for the economic collapse in Japan shortly after 0 takes place that lead to the so called Lost Decade.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is especially hilarious because it implies Majima is responsible for the economic collapse in Japan shortly after 0 takes place that lead to the so called Lost Decade.
Yeah it made me crack up

EN1WoNP.jpg

EHvML9n.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I get the sentiment but games also plummet in price frequently (save for Nintendo and CoD) , gamepass/PSNow let's you play tons for cheap, many EXCELLENT free to play games, and more.

So basically people want brand new games day one for the same price forever? Being pissed about companies hosing customers on exchange rates is another issue.

Like yeah, I miss games being $60cdn instead of fucking $90cdn but at the same time, there's so much content out there and so many ways to get discounted credit/buying used that having to wait for a sale isn't gonna have me writing angry letters to publishers.

sumo

Oct 30, 2017
A few years ago I purposely disconnected from video game hype. Only bought second hand or heavily discounted games, traded in used ones so never had more than a few at a time. It definitely helped with the money side of things and getting over the Fomo was surprisingly quick. Also it means there was usually dlc or updates included by the time I got round to playing something. £70 hurts, £60 is just about justifiable if it's only a couple of times a year, £50 used to feel outrageous not that long ago but having gone cold turkey on new games before it feels much easier to now just wait. Getting older and having more things competing for my time has definitely helped not feel like I'm missing out too.

All that said, it can be fun to ride the hype train, following the threads from day 1 of everyone discovering things at the same time, and it especially sucks if you want to be involved but are priced out. It's one thing purposely not getting involved and another to want to be but having to sit on the sidelines and wait.

There's a lot to be said for gamepass opening up the market to more people and giving those less fortunate a lower barrier to getting involved.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is just FOMO. You don't need to play games day 1. You literally do not. You also don't need to see films day 1. You don't need everything day 1. But that's what marketing wants you to do, so I guess you do that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
That is the reality, and I at least tried acknowledged that in my post lol However the reality should not be that things will only get worse, with the gap ever-widening between those who can "keep up" and those who can't. People who use the actions and arguments I listed actively prop up a culture where that gap is inherent, and seemingly accepted; it would be better for all of us to make one where "keeping up" wasn't even that big an issue to begin with.

Essentially I just don't like how the response to a literal increase in the proverbial 'gap' between different gaming classes is to increase it on a cultural sense as well. If that makes any sense lol

What you say doesn't make sense when you consider that some of the most popular games in the world have either a low cost of entry point or are free. If you want to keep up with cultural events and phenomenon then the barrier of entry has never been easier. Look at what it costs to play Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, Among Us, etc. I don't buy the sense that there is this gap being made wider when the biggest games aren't necessarily the $70 AAA Day 1 games.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
User Warned: Antagonistic Drive-By Post
Guys I needed sympathy because I had to sleep in the cupboard with the boiler, couldn't afford equipment for my education and when breakfast was available sometimes the cereal came with water instead of milk.

If you think you deserve sympathy because a game is 10 dollars more at launch wtf is your reality like

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Whether you'd like to acknowledge it or not, most people are only a few steps removed from poverty. Saying "you're not poor now" isn't necessary. Most of us are very near poor, regardless of the possessions we own. Shitting on people for economic stress, regardless of how it comes about, is tasteless.

Probably sounded harsh, but shaming isn't my intention and if you check my post history you'll see that.

Words still have meaning. It's more problematic for me to see "poor" describe those able to afford both needs AND luxuries (which consoles and games absolutely are).

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I haven't the least bit of sympathy for companies' bottomlines or stock prices when they're generating record profits. Taking losses doesn't actually matter when those losses haven't changed the fact they're making more money than they've ever made.

And I'm someone who is very much unopposed to luxury products being priced as their producers/creators/designers see fit. That doesn't change the fact that no one should give a damn about these companies. They aren't your friends.
Oh Era....

Me talking about them, saying how it is for them, talking about how they think... does not mean I care for the, that they are my friends or that I support what they do.

It just means I understand why it happens and why they think the way they do.

And I have always been clear on where I stand on this. But let me reiterate. I the last 12 years, I have bought only 3 games at full Price.Bloodborne, Tekken 7 and GoW.

The best weapon any consumer has is their wallets. You cannot have people talking about FOMO and not willing to pay the FOMO tax. Big corpo doesn't get you by setting absurd prices or with snazzy marketing, they get people when they can convince those people that they will be missing out on something if they don't get in day one... when the price is the highest.

I just don't get it. It is as sure as the sun coming up that all PS games get price cuts. People should simply just wait until its at a price they can afford.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
OP, PM me if you want new Sony games at a pretty good discount. I can help you out sometimes

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Guys I needed sympathy because I had to sleep in the cupboard with the boiler, couldn't afford equipment for my education and when breakfast was available sometimes the cereal came with water instead of milk.

If you think you deserve sympathy because a game is 10 dollars more at launch wtf is your reality like
1. Im not looking for Sympathy I created this thread out of frustration at People implying the Price increase is a non issue,

2. Your comment was very Rude

3. Cereal with Water is Gross I rather eat it Dry. (I eat dry cereal all the time)

Last edited:

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
as I said earlier though, ratchet was announced last year. We knew the price of Sony's games were increasing. Why not put away a small amount every payday, like $5 and you would of had enough to afford at launch.
I mean i do have to put away more money for each game now - it is a matter of prioritisation in a way. I can't just afford to put away more money for the same amount of games oi was buying prior. As much as i love Sony's games, there will be less i will be purchasing Day 1 - personally i will be getting Horizon 2 and GoW 2 day one as i loved the first two of those games. But in the past i would have purchased say R&C and games i was not fully 100% sold on like Days Gone but i just can not afford to take that punt any more when games are $30 more at launch.

Shado

Oct 26, 2017
If you've gotta have it day 1, you should save for it. Otherwise, wait and you'll save buckets of money and probably benefit from a bunch of updates to fix game breaking bugs that still occasionally sneak into games, even with a day 1 patch. Even waiting 2 weeks can save you loads, especially if it's a game from a huge publisher like EA or Ubisoft.

I'm definitely not poor but I have to budget for games, both in terms of time and money. There are so many games these days that even if you had infinite cash, you'd not have the time to enjoy them all.

Basically this. It's true for any new product to charge a premium price. If you feel the pricing is too much, wait for it to drop.

Whether people like to agree or not, or give random examples of how there are ingame purchases, game development is costly and this is a needed increase. It will help in better budgeting and resources for game-dev. It's not all corporate pocketing as some portray it to be.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
Very cool of all these people coming in just to make dismissive replies. Not sure why you're defending Sony charging $100 for Returnal in some European countries. Its a bit cringe.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Even before the next generation price increase games were already $80 in Canada.

I deal with it by only buying 1 or 2 full priced new games a year.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Videos games are pretty expensive. It's why there's a robust used and trade-in market.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
At least twice, I've been shut down for this argument on this very forum because "This is an enthusiast forum" and "It's not really a problem for most people (here)"

You don't have to be rich or privileged financially to be an enthusiast.

If the price of games goes up, the post-purchase monetization should be diminished. There's no justification whatsoever for (non-rich/privileged people, or anyone, really) defending publishers choosing to double dip by increasing the price of a game while continuing to nickel and dime inside the game. I can't help but assume that those who do defend it are in that rich/privileged group. At least, it would make a little more sense in my head if they were.

Edit: And to clarify, single-player stuff with no abusive monetization practices can get away with $70 price tags in my book. I'm still not a fan of it, but at the very least you're getting the whole package for one price.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
For real? Between a discounted back catalogue, quality free to play games and very affordable indies there's never a shortage of things to play.
I could probably afford Ratchet but at £70 it just feels wrong. I can wait and it will drop.

I feel the same. Part of me is itching to play the game day 1 especially for the weekend coming up but I'm going to wait for a price drop. I don't think 70 bucks feels wrong but I rather pay off some bills and save some money and wait for a price drop. The game will still exist next year.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
IMO the last thing we need is games stretching themselves thin because of review scores.

So many games are bloated as hell these days and it would suck if every game did that.
$70 for 12 is not the way especially when similar sized games in the past where cheaper.
Maybe this game should have been $50 or whoever much I paid for Miles on PS5

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I've bought every single Ratchet on launch in the past, I have a PS5, it's ready, but there's no way I'm paying that. Returnal? I'm sure it's very good, but I'll see you in a few months.

No-one is saying there's no way around it - Hitman III dropped to £40 in two months. It's just fucking shitty, especially if a committed fan wants to be in on the ground floor. OP is allowed to vent because it's frankly what a lot of us are thinking.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
a lot of cheap games today were expensive yesterday

god of war 4 is ten dollars at best buy, i remember paying sixty for it back in the 1970s

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian, games have increased in price 50% since 8 years ago. In actuality, they've increased even more than that since it was trivial to get $40 games at launch with Futureshop/Bestbuy's E3 sales.

Now I'm looking at over $100 tax in for games. That's just too much to ask when there are so many great games I can get for a fraction of the price. Buying a full priced title is a luxury I often just can't justify.

If you can't afford a $70 game, you probably can't afford a $400+ console.

Oh f*** off with that. A $400 console lasts 8+ years. A $70 game can last a week.

Oct 27, 2017
$70 for 12 is not the way especially when similar sized games in the past where cheaper.
Maybe this game should have been $50
Length has nothing to do with price. Some games provide much better experience even when they are shorter than a long game. I would rather have a 12 hours AC game than a really bloated AC game for example.

I do agree that games shouldn't be 70 bucks though. No game should.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
OP, PM me if you want new Sony games at a pretty good discount. I can help you out sometimes
While I appreciate the Gesture this is completely unnecessary

This thread is not about me I'm doing Fine right now. It's about the Discourse around $70 Price Point in General and people not understanding Why the price of games and the length of games matter so much to a lot of people.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
People bending over backwards to defend billion dollar companies. We are hugely fucked.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Will I appreciate the Gesture this is completely unnecessary

This thread is not about me I'm doing Fine right now. It's about the Discourse around $70 Price Point in General and people not understanding Why the price of games and the length of games matter so much to a lot of people.

That's fair, but you've also got to address the complete picture with global income inequality, instead of trying to frame it exclusively like video games are hurting poor people. Acknowledging our global economic crisis is probably a better starting point than diving straight into value proposition, which is completely subjective and varies from person to person, largely decided by their financial stability.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of ROI for entertainment value...they're still a better value at these horribly high prices than most other forms of entertaining ourselves in the evening. Dining out, going to the movies, etc. I ain't defending it but I don't think I'll be buying games less often at day 1 b/c of a $10 hike.

Also, I feel like price crashes/sales are pretty fast and frequent these days. Used to be just Ubisoft stuff that tanked by 30-50% in a couple of months, but I'm increasingly seeing bigger and more frequent sales these days, both at retail and digital. It's kind of a great time to be a gamer.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
This comes from an entitlement that you should be able to play all the games you want. It's entertainment.

Also, sony games drop in price fast, I don't think there's has been a generation with a healthier spread of game prices and price drops.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Why it happens and why they think the way they do has no bearing on the bottom line for you (universal you) as the customer. Your job is not to think about their corporate realities. Your job is to make a judgement based on your realities on whether or not the price is justified for you.

And while you (you you) may possess and value that knowledge, there is no reason to expect anyone else to do so or suggest that they should.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
Jesus, some people in this tread are so fucking out of touch with how to deal with human beings, this is just fucking ridiculous.

Plum

May 31, 2018
As a person who has played maybe 2 games at launch/launch window in the last decade or so....

All of these points come from a mindset of FOMO.

The spoilers thing is a thing, but in my own experience, isn't that tough to avoid. You just stay out of threads or news articles about games you really want to play along the way.

All of your other points are varying degrees of FOMO:
- GOTY threads are meaningless fluff
- The conversation about games is VASTLY better 6-12 months after launch. And even better after 2-5 years.
- The opinions about what games are actually worth playing are VASTLY better 6-12 months after launch. And even better after 2-5 years.
- You can keep your expectations in check. I almost always play games 2-5 years after the fact and i know what to expect going in. It allows me to play games optimally for their best content, avoid major tedious parts, and know what to expect along the way. It's allowed me to enjoy games that people normally shunned because they had way too high of expectations.
- and in modern times, GAMES are VASTLY better 6-12 months after launch. The QOL and bug patches and GOTY versions of games with the DLC and all that packed in make most non-multiplayer games age like fine wine.
- If you like long games, keep loving your long games. The non-vocal majority agrees with you based on sales trends.

EDIT - you get screwed on multiplayer games though. Either the populations die and/or anyone left playing is a master or hacker in all but the most popular games.

I see it less as "coming from a mindset of FOMO" and more "coming from a mindset of wanting to be part of the cultural zeitgeist that encourages FOMO." Framing it as solely the result of "FOMO" is a framing that refuses to incorporate the very-real sociological and psychological pressures of modern media consumption; it basically presents those who are financially less likely to succeed in a capitalist culture as responsible for wanting to be a part of said culture in the first place.

Essentially the way I see it is if the rich kids at school, who only stop talking about designer brands and the latest trends to sarcastically hate on charity shop clothes and Primark, blamed the poor kids for "having the mindset of feeling left out." It's a self-perpetuating cycle, really, and one that will only get better if those with power and/or financial means choose to stop perpetuating the culture that places them on a higher 'tier' to everyone else.

I mean that won't ever happen but one can dream haha

What you say doesn't make sense when you consider that some of the most popular games in the world have either a low cost of entry point or are free. If you want to keep up with cultural events and phenomenon then the barrier of entry has never been easier. Look at what it costs to play Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, Among Us, etc. I don't buy the sense that there is this gap being made wider when the biggest games aren't necessarily the $70 AAA Day 1 games.

That's the thing; those games are the most popular parts of gaming right now, but if you interact with large swathes of gaming culture you really wouldn't realise it. GOTY lists are almost exclusively dominated by big blockbuster titles, the kind that are either already at, or will be at, those higher price points. Places like here see games like Returnal garner threads equivalent in size to the OT for the latest Call of Duty. A lot of gaming 'discourse' from gaming youtube and beyond is based in the idea that one can, and should, play as many games as possible. Hell, in the tech space channels like Digital Foundry and Linus Tech Tips place a very disproportionate amount of attention on high-end gear instead of low or even mid-range stuff.

Gaming is more accessible than ever, that is true. But gaming culture is an entirely different thing, and it's one where there are different bubbles based almost entirely on what one is financially (and... time-wise... I don't know the word lol). I mean, if you've ever agreed with someone calling Era a "bubble," then you should see what I mean here lol

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i do have to put away more money for each game now - it is a matter of prioritisation in a way. I can't just afford to put away more money for the same amount of games oi was buying prior. As much as i love Sony's games, there will be less i will be purchasing Day 1 - personally i will be getting Horizon 2 and GoW 2 day one as i loved the first two of those games. But in the past i would have purchased say R&C and games i was not fully 100% sold on like Days Gone but i just can not afford to take that punt any more when games are $30 more at launch.

thats fair enough. I put away money as well. I have a jar that every pay I put aside money for so I can get whatever I need.

also another thing is to just be more shop savvy. I know you might not get a launch but amazon have Ratchet for $98. That's $10 cheaper than all retail, and is down from the RRP of $125. Mix shopping around with saving and there is your launch day games if you must.

like I will never say the more expensive the better or anything of the sort,we would all prefer games to be cheaper, butjust there are ways around these things. Maybe it's because of my upbringing where I wasn't bought lots of games, but had to do job and chores and save. I would literally write a list I would want from magazines, go to EB Games and pre order, and pay off slowly. I was 13 and I managed to save and buy a dreamcast with 3 games an extra controller and 2 VMUs at launch.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Length has nothing to do with price. Some games provide much better experience even when they are shorter than a long game. I would rather have a 12 hours AC game than a really bloated AC game for example.

I do agree that games shouldn't be 70 bucks though. No game should.
Length does matter but it's subjective. The more disposable income you have the less it matters but if I can only afford to purchase two games a year, length absolutely matters.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
No one wants to pay more for things but video games are a hobby, not a neccessity. Besides, with Gamepass and other services, I'm actually spending way less than I was before on games. Granted, I never by a game at launch and I play on PC for the most part so it's usually cheaper anyway

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Price hikes always suck, but it'll be half price in a few months or free on PS+ in a year.

Nov 4, 2017
I don't have a problem with $70 games. I have a problem with multibillion dollar companies making record profits while screwing over their workforce but claiming they need to up the price to make ends meet. I'm also not a fan of the corporate defenders who try to shame people for not liking the $70 price tag.

"Just wait for the price to go down!" Yeah, no shit, Sherlock. It's not the price that's the issue, it's the principle.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah, this is just FOMO. You don't need to play games day 1. You literally do not. You also don't need to see films day 1. You don't need everything day 1. But that's what marketing wants you to do, so I guess you do that.

Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the day 1 hype. I always used to get caught up with it at the beginning of last-gen, then you start to realize that a lot of games tend to release unfinished and need patching. Furthermore, by the time they're patched and fixed, it's much cheaper. So it's usually a win-win situation when you wait.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame that OP had to say this. You all need to understand how the world works and remove games.

I grew up very poor and $10 meant a lot to my mom. That would gas her car for the week in order for her to make it to work and back. There are a lot of things you can do with $10 when you are poor. It gets stretched out longer. People become creative when they buy things. Let's stop shaming people like this Era because a move to seventy can severely cripple some people. That's only America, I couldn't imagine the rest of the world in some places.

Its not about shaming people, its about helping them to make smarter purchasing decisions. With a little patience, you'll get a more polished and cheaper game in a few months. FOMO is a disease and era shouldn't be a support group for it.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Oh Era....

Me talking about them, saying how it is for them, talking about how they think... does not mean I care for the, that they are my friends or that I support what they do.

And I have always been clear on where I stand on this. But let me reiterate. I the last 12 years, I have bought only 3 games at full Price.Bloodborne, Tekken 7 and GoW.

The best weapon any consumer has is their wallets. You cannot have people talking about FOMO and not willing to pay the FOMO tax. Big corpo doesn't get you by setting absurd prices or with snazzy marketing, they get people when they can convince those people that they will be missing out on something if they don't get in day one... when the price is the highest.

I just don't get it. It is as sure as the sun coming up that all PS games get price cuts. People should simply just wait until its at a price they can afford.

This. FOMO delusion/lunacy is real. Gaming isn't a basic need it is a luxury and sometimes you pay the luxury cost to be a day one person in a given hobby. That's just life it isn't some corprate defense.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Length has nothing to do with price.
For you this statement is true. For others this statement is Untrue.

I understand why some people don't look at Time to beat as a factor at all and it's a perspective I am envois of.

I ask that you try to see things from others prospect that It is a huge factor. People value things differently and that's ok.

Oct 27, 2017
Length does matter but it's subjective. The more disposable income you have the less it matters but if I can only afford to purchase two games a year, length absolutely matters.
I don't agree with this.

There are some games that yes, are long, but for me the experience matters more. Some games I would rather replay over and over and have more fun with than a game that is extremely long but the stuff you do isn't fun.

So I guess it is like you say, subjective which is why I disagree that reviews should factor in the price because not every game is the same. A game like Resident Evil 2 remake is 60 bucks and it is worth that price even though the game can be beaten in 10 hours. I replayed it for many hours now and it is absolutely worth the price.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Digital prices in Europe have become truly obscene. Digital PS4 games already did cost 70€, which was 10€ more than retail, for no fucking reason. And now they want 80€ for a game? This just guarantees that I'm going to skip any game that isn't cinematic AAA+. TLOU II? Sure. Returnal? Nope, thank you very much.

What also pisses me off are subscription prices. PS+ for example is now on sale, 12 months for 45€. If you don't have 45€ right now, which amounts to 3.75€ per month, you could also get a single-month subscription for 8.99€. That's 125% more expensive. Complete insanity. You can't fucking tell me that less people would subscribe if the monthly price was at 5€ per month (like with the 60€/12month sub). I don't believe it, period.

And there are so many subscription services right now where this also happens. The result is, that poor people effectively get punished. Can't cough up 60 bucks for a 12mo subscription? Fuck you, now you are going to pay twice as much! And don't tell me that you don't need to be subscribed all the time. Those services are designed to keep you subscribed. Like, who is going to binge several TV show seasons or multiple games in a month, and then unsubscribe?