• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
You know that this is no way the same situation right? One is a game that later got a sequel and the other is a remake that quite literally has remake in the title except unlike regular remakes it's going to be split into parts, somehow you can't see how what Square it's doing is misleading?
You know that this is no way something i said serious right? one is a comment made seriously and the other is one followed by so many s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s/ that I would probably be timed out on Twitch for spamming. Somehow you can't see how what I did was just a stupid comment in no way meant to be taken seriously?

its a joke bruv, read my previous comment if you want. In short I dont care as long as they deliver a quality title with enough content to warrant the 2 blurays and them constantly repeating that each entry is going to be a full game on its own. We will see soon enough if that is all true once it releases <3

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered, but we don't know how many parts there will be?.

in other words, we're a decade off or more for the complete game.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
When games are kept behind glass at most retailers and you can't readily read the back of the box, how is "it's on the back of the box" a reasonable thing to say?

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They are intentionally misleading customers to get more sales, if this was EA or Activsion this forum would be going mad

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
They are intentionally misleading customers to get more sales, if this was EA or Activsion this forum would be going mad
They keep repeating the fact that this is only the Midgar portion of the original story at every turn (and we've known this since late 2015 or early 2016, so it's not like this was just springed on us) and it's mentioned at every official source (SQEX Store, official website etc.) of the game AND in the description on the box that this is only the first part of a bigger remake saga. They've also been pretty open about their reasoning for why they are calling it just "FFVII Remake" (adding a subtitle could make this seem like a spin-off/sequel, "part 1" can make it seem like it's some Telltale type episodic thing). They aren't hiding the fact, they just think that there's enough content in this first part that people will be satisfied by it.

If people go in and blindly buy stuff even though the information is readily available and touted at every turn, it's not entirely on the companies if the don't meet some expectations that were never promised. Besides, it's not like this is just some few hour experience. This is supposedly as volumous as mainline FFs usually are, so I very much doubt that anyone will be all that disappointed after having possibly gone through ~30 hours of the kind of game that the demo promises. Well, they might be disappointed in the sense that it'll be a long wait for the next part, but I doubt anyone will feel cheated out of their money just because this ends at the end of Midgar.

I mean, Marvel didn't advertise Avengers Infinity War as Part 1 (and it originally even was called part 1 & 2) even though it very much was the first part of a duology. Like, yeah, sure this is for marketing reasons. I just don't see where's the crime against humanity in all of this that makes some of you so angry, when they have been open about the multi-part nature of this remake for half a decade.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They keep repeating the fact that this is only the Midgar portion of the original story at every turn (and we've known this since late 2015 or early 2016, so it's not like this was just springed on us) and it's mentioned at every official source (SQEX Store, official website etc.) of the game AND in the description on the box that this is only the first part of a bigger remake saga. They've also been pretty open about their reasoning for why they are calling it just "FFVII Remake" (adding a subtitle could make this seem like a spin-off/sequel, "part 1" can make it seem like it's some Telltale type episodic thing). They aren't hiding the fact, they just think that there's enough content in this first part that people will be satisfied by it.

If people go in and blindly buy stuff even though the information is readily available and touted at every turn, it's not entirely on the companies if the don't meet some expectations that were never promised. Besides, it's not like this is just some few hour experience. This is supposedly as volumous as mainline FFs usually are, so I very much doubt that anyone will be all that disappointed after having possibly gone through ~30 hours of the kind of game that the demo promises. Well, they might be disappointed in the sense that it'll be a long wait for the next part, but I doubt anyone will feel cheated out of their money just because this ends at the end of Midgar.

I mean, Marvel didn't advertise Avengers Infinity War as Part 1 (and it originally even was called part 1 & 2) even though it very much was the first part of a duology. Like, yeah, sure this is for marketing reasons. I just don't see where's the crime against humanity in all of this that makes some of you so angry, when they have been open about the multi-part nature of this remake for half a decade.

Its not the same.
Final Fantasy VII exists.
Final Fantasy VII Remake heavily implies something it isn't, namely a FF VII remake. It's only a remake of a part of FF VII.

Avengers Infinity War was the whole movie Avengers Infinity War.

Simply calling it Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgaard would be sufficient.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
So it sounds like we could compromise by adding a "Part 1" or "Episode 1" or "Midgar" subtitle on the front of the box, and then explain that it's a full-length, mainline game on the back. They've been re-iterating the latter in the interviews too, so nobody will be confused or get the wrong idea.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Its not the same.
Final Fantasy VII exists.
Final Fantasy VII Remake heavily implies something it isn't, namely a FF VII remake. It's only a remake of a part of FF VII.

Simply calling it Final Fantasy VII Remake: Midgaard would be sufficient.
And this is a full game as well. It's not the full FFVII story, but it's made to be a full game, even with changes/additions to make it work better as a stand-alone experience.

And, again, they explained that any subtitles could make this seem like a spin-off. So it is a marketing reason, but it's not some nefarious plan to make people pay 60€ for 5 hours. Some people still seem to think this is some Telltale level episodic thing when they were (poorly) translated to have said this would be episodic in 2015/2016, so I feel they are somewhat justified in wanting to avoid putting any such descriptors into the title. Again, marketing reason, but people will supposedly be getting their money's worth with how much content the game has, so I just don't see what's the big deal that there isn't a Part 1 on the front of the box/in the title.

And Avengers Infinity War was clearly just half of a larger story. It ended on a huge cliffhanger that didn't resolve anything. It was originally even called Infinity War Part 1 & 2. It was as much a marketing reason to do away with that naming as FFVII Remake's naming. People didn't care because they liked the first part & its ending so much and Infinity War is, in itself, a full length movie, even if only half-completing a larger story. The same will most likely apply to FFVII's remake.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
No it is not, Infinity War is one half of the whole thing. Watching it alone will just leave you with a cliffhanger needs answer.

Same with FF7 here, the game itself is as complete as Infinity War. It just leave you with some cliffhanger that you want answer in the remaining parts.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Square being smartly greedy, what a shock...
The all episodic stuff is a farce to begin with, this is just the cherry on the top

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They keep repeating the fact that this is only the Midgar portion of the original story at every turn

The majority of people who buy this game do not keep up to date with gaming news. They will have no idea the game is coming out until it releases (or around this time -- which is why you're seeing plenty of people surprised that it's just one part of the story).

I mean, Marvel didn't advertise Avengers Infinity War as Part 1 (and it originally even was called part 1 & 2) even though it very much was the first part of a duology.

That isn't the same thing.

It's amazing to me that this hilariously bad comparison has been brought up yet again. Embarrassing, really.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No it is not, Infinity War is one half of the whole thing. Watching it alone will just leave you with a cliffhanger needs answer.

Same with FF7 here, the game itself is as complete as Infinity War. It just leave you with some cliffhanger that you want answer in the remaining parts.

Nope. Wrong. Not the same thing.

A TV show or film being "to be continued" isn't the same thing as advertising that single episode or film as something it isn't. Your comparison is wrong.

The issue isn't it being a cliffhanger. The issue is that the name of the game is FFVII Remake, which implies it is a remake the the original game in full. Audiences have no reason to believe otherwise because that isn't normal. It isn't a thing that happens.

And you're embarrassingly arguing against something as simple as "Part 1 should be in the title." It is one of the worst corporate apologize instances I've seen in a long time.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
What trailer gives us this information?
store.na.square-enix-games.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Buy video games and merchandise online at the Official Square Enix store. Shop our top franchises, including Final Fantasy, NieR, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.
"A spectacular re-imagining of one of the most visionary games ever, the first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience. "

People can hopefully read.

Square being smartly greedy, what a shock...
The all episodic stuff is a farce to begin with, this is just the cherry on the top
This isn't episodic. And how is it a farce? Your kinds of posts are far more farcical & clearly ignorant of the realities of game development than them making a remake of this scale that needs to be developed in parts.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
store.na.square-enix-games.com

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Buy video games and merchandise online at the Official Square Enix store. Shop our top franchises, including Final Fantasy, NieR, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest & more.
"A spectacular re-imagining of one of the most visionary games ever, the first game in this project will be set in the eclectic city of Midgar and presents a fully standalone gaming experience. "

Do you perhaps have an answer to the question itself: what trailer has that information?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

People familiar with the comic The Infinity War know how loose the adaptations are from comic to movies (or just don't think about it) whereas FFVII is more specifically called Remake and in the same medium as the original, which gives people a more straightforward expectation.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
hilarious seeing people (the defenders) keep repeating this is a complete game, when noone cares. Thats not even the point we are making, nor what we have an issue with.

Also yall havent played it so stop saying "but its a complete game!" like you have played it.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
And this is a full game as well. It's not the full FFVII story, but it's made to be a full game, even with changes/additions to make it work better as a stand-alone experience.

And, again, they explained that any subtitles could make this seem like a spin-off. So it is a marketing reason, but it's not some nefarious plan to make people pay 60€ for 5 hours. Some people still seem to think this is some Telltale level episodic thing when they were (poorly) translated to have said this would be episodic in 2015/2016, so I feel they are somewhat justified in wanting to avoid putting any such descriptors into the title. Again, marketing reason, but people will supposedly be getting their money's worth with how much content the game has, so I just don't see what's the big deal that there isn't a Part 1 on the front of the box/in the title.

And Avengers Infinity War was clearly just half of a larger story. It ended on a huge cliffhanger that didn't resolve anything. It was originally even called Infinity War Part 1 & 2. It was as much a marketing reason to do away with that naming as FFVII Remake's naming. People didn't care because they liked the first part & its ending so much and Infinity War is, in itself, a full length movie, even if only half-completing a larger story. The same will most likely apply to FFVII's remake.

Jesus christ. We dont care if its a full game. Thats not what people are arguiing about. We know its not a telltale game.

However just because theyve padded the game with sidequests and other missions doesnt make it a full ff7 remake, as the title and boxart clearly implies.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The majority of people who buy this game do not keep up to date with gaming news. They will have no idea the game is coming out until it releases (or around this time -- which is why you're seeing plenty of people surprised that it's just one part of the story).
If people do zero research on things they buy, that's not (all) on the companies selling the products. This being a multi-part remake has been known for half a decade, every gaming site keeps bringing it up, it's in official PR, it's in the first paragraph of the remake's wikipedia article, on the box of the game and mentioned during live demos. They aren't hiding the fact. I'm just not seeing the OH MY GOD EVIL SQUARE ENIX ARE FOOLING PEOPLE aspect here. Yeah, they are leaving it out because of marketing reasons, because we have people here thinking it's an episodic game they'll get timely episodes for. Why does this ruffle so many feathers? I'm just not seeing the evilness in this knowing what we are getting.

That isn't the same thing.

It's amazing to me that this hilariously bad comparison has been brought up yet again. Embarrassing, really.
As far as companies deciding to not market some initial release as only being Part 1, it's pretty similar. Not the exact same thing, but similar enough. It was originally supposed to have Part 1 & 2 naming, but they decided pretty much purely out of marketing reasons to name them differently.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ. We dont care if its a full game. Thats not what people are arguiing about. We know its not a telltale game.

However just because theyve padded the game with sidequests and other missions doesnt make it a full ff7 remake, as the title and boxart clearly implies.
I don't know if I would use the word scam (I'm sure the developers worked really hard) but "You still get a game..." makes it sound like an excuse a scammer would use.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Nope. Wrong. Not the same thing.

A TV show or film being "to be continued" isn't the same thing as advertising that single episode or film as something it isn't. Your comparison is wrong.

The issue isn't it being a cliffhanger. The issue is that the name of the game is FFVII Remake, which implies it is a remake the the original game in full. Audiences have no reason to believe otherwise because that isn't normal. It isn't a thing that happens.

And you're embarrassingly arguing against something as simple as "Part 1 should be in the title." It is one of the worst corporate apologize instances I've seen in a long time.
I am sorry, did FF7r advertise itself to be a "completed" (story-wise) game in any shape or form? No, in fact, there are numerous interviews, articles about it NOT being one. You guys are making it the title of the game means the WHOLE of the advertising campaign.

And seriously, most of us here are NOT arguing against it, we are arguing it is not as big as a deal that you guys are making it to look like a second coming of WC3:Reforged.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
If people do zero research on things they buy, that's not (all) on the companies selling the products. This being a multi-part remake has been known for half a decade, every gaming site keeps bringing it up, it's in official PR, it's in the first paragraph of the remake's wikipedia article, on the box of the game and mentioned during live demos. They aren't hiding the fact. I'm just not seeing the OH MY GOD EVIL SQUARE ENIX ARE FOOLING PEOPLE aspect here. Yeah, they are leaving it out because of marketing reasons, because we have people here thinking it's an episodic game they'll get timely episodes for. Why does this ruffle so many feathers? I'm just not seeing the evilness in this knowing what we are getting.

As far as companies deciding to not market some initial release as only being Part 1, it's pretty similar. Not the exact same thing, but similar enough. It was originally supposed to have Part 1 & 2 naming, but they decided pretty much purely out of marketing reasons to name them differently.

Another disengenious post. Did you even bother reading the last few pages? Jesus christ this thread is going in circles now.

Jun 22, 2019
Saying it'll be confused for a spin-off when it has "Remake" in the name is silly, and saying it'll be confused for an episodic series when it basically is exactly that (a long-term episodic remake where the episodes are long because filler/padding) is also silly.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I am sorry, did FF7r advertise itself to be a "completed" (story-wise) game in any shape or form? No, in fact, there are numerous interviews, articles about it NOT being one. You guys are making it the title of the game means the WHOLE of the advertising campaign.

And seriously, most of us here are NOT arguing against it, we are arguing it is not as big as a deal that you guys are making it to look like a second coming of WC3:Reforged.

Its called Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Which other recent remake has come out where its only a small part of the actual thing they are remaking?

Oh right, none.

Ohh interviews.. ok yeah lets ask Average Joe if he ever even reads any interviews.

Lol gtfo. Interviews my ass. Ofcourse its not mentioned in any trailer, you know,the thing people watch to see what a game is about.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
They aren't hiding the fact. I'm just not seeing the OH MY GOD EVIL SQUARE ENIX ARE FOOLING PEOPLE aspect here. Yeah, they are leaving it out because of marketing reasons, because we have people here thinking it's an episodic game they'll get timely episodes for.

How can one be so damn Naive. Its because the game will sell less if they put "Part 1" on the box.

The ONLY reason.

So yes they are fooling people. Just not superfans like yourself who hang on every word SE says

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Whee let's go another round on this carroussel of discussion. Now someone has to explain that non-forum-reading enthusiasists don't see anything beyond trailers (which don't mention the split) and buy based on cover art (or rather, have no reason to expect the game called [Game] Remake isn't actually the full game but [First Fifth of Game] Remake and thus wouldn't have to read the back of the box).

Then someone brings up Infinity War again, and around and round we go.

Last edited:

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why the fuck is this thread turning so toxic when people are name-calling other people defending this or vice versa.
It's just a game shill.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

SE are doing that with the front cover, knowing the natural expectation a lot of more casual people will make.

"It's not as bad as you make it out to be" means nothing, just a ambigious way to wiggle out of the coversation, looking 'reasonable' if the contrasting point is too strong for you to argue with.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
Its called Final Fantasy 7 remake.

Which other recent remake has come out where its only a small part of the actual thing they are remaking?

Oh right, none.

Ohh interviews.. ok yeah lets ask Average Joe if he ever even reads any interviews.

Lol gtfo. Interviews my ass. Ofcourse its not mentioned in any trailer, you know,the thing people watch to see what a game is about.

You guys are the one claimed it was advertised as such. Give me one example in SE advertisement material that said so and I will stfu.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
You guys are the one claimed it was advertised as such. Give me one example in SE advertisement material that said so and I will stfu.

Advertised as what? As a Final Fantasy 7 Remake, as the game is called? With the exact iconic boxart as the original title? With trailers not mentioning that this is not a full remake?

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Whee let's go another round on this carroussel of dicussion. Now someone has to explain that non-forum-reading enthusiasists don't see anything beyond trailers (which don't mention the split) and buy based on cover art (or rather, have no reason to expect the game called [Game] Remake isn't actually the full game but [Firsth Fifth of Game] Remake and thus wouldn't have to read the back of the box).

Then someone brings up Infinity War again, and around and round we go.

Yeah im done with this disengenious posting of the defenders here.

Fubuki

Jan 1, 2018
SE are doing that with the front cover, knowing the natural expectation a lot of more casual people will make.

"It's not as bad as you make it out to be" means nothing, just a ambigious way to wiggle out of the coversation, looking 'reasonable' if the contrasting point is too strong for you to argue with.
I am already provide a example (Avenger movie) with reasonable similarity. I am not the one keep dodging it by calling it does not count because it is not a REMAKE.

I am done with this thread.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck is this thread turning so toxic when people are name-calling other people defending this or vice versa.
It's just a game shill.
I haven't used any personal insults myself but it's really clear who the front cover is meant is mislead, and I think it's all the defensive pendatic logic "Full Game", "The Information is still avaliable" and leaps of logic to comparing it to more vague comic to film adaptations, and it makes the conversation so provocative.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I am already provide a example (Avenger movie) with reasonable similarity. I am not the one keep dodging it by calling it does not count because it is not a REMAKE.

I responded to that IW example before, I also think they may have changed the name part 1 because they realised people would still be very satisfied if they named the conclusion after Dr Strange's quote. And realised audiences are conditioned with broader adaptations of comic books and are already used to some serialisation with the MCU after 15+ films, which sounds fair enough.

Aug 28, 2019
And, again, they explained that any subtitles could make this seem like a spin-off. So it is a marketing reason, but it's not some nefarious plan to make people pay 60€ for 5 hours. Some people still seem to think this is some Telltale level episodic thing when they were (poorly) translated to have said this would be episodic in 2015/2016, so I feel they are somewhat justified in wanting to avoid putting any such descriptors into the title.

Really? Why is that a problem when they can just clarify what it actually is on the back of the box, in interviews, on the official web site, and in all their other marketing materials?

EDIT since some folks have misunderstood me:

I was replying to the argument that putting "part 1" on the cover would confuse consumers into thinking the product is something undesirable, but also that Square Enix has been totally clear all along about what consumers should expect and so not having a subtitle is perfectly fine.

If ancillary marketing is so clear and effective, then no one should be confused by "part 1" and so there's no reason not to have it there.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I am sorry, did FF7r advertise itself to be a "completed" (story-wise) game in any shape or form?

By being titled "Final Fantasy VII Remake," it did by default.

If someone who played the original on PS1 sees this on a retail shelf, they should not be expected to think, "I better read the back of the box to make sure this isn't just 1/4 of the original game!"

There is no valid or logical argument against this. You're not arguing against anything. Stop blaming consumers for a corporation making a purposeful choice to try and mislead casual buyers, which is what they are factually doing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Why is that a problem when they can just clarify what it actually is on the back of the box, in interviews, on the official web site, and in all their other marketing materials?
'clarifying' is a nice way of putting it, if they already have been baited by the front's very clear message of a remake they'd prefer... then clarifying feels like explaining the "gotcha"

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They aren't similar whatsoever though.
FF7R is titled in a way that suggests its the entire game, which it isn't.
There wasn't an Avenger movie that people already saw which then got rereleased in parts.

These examples set entirely different expectations. Like, its a really, really bad example.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really, REALLY don't see how this is a problem. It's not like they're hiding it. Even if you don't follow gaming news or any kind of news and assuming you read absolutely nothing about FF7R despite being interested in playing it (I mean...come on...) for the past 5 years and no one you know told you about it...it is STILL mentioned on the back of the box as well as on the description on the PSN. You can't brush that off, like that's not a valid argument, the information is there!

I also don't buy into this conspiracy theory that square is purposely labeling this as a remake to trick people into buying it...like this thing isn't gonna sell gangbusters regardless. Also, there's absolutely no way an "old fan" is not going to come across this information sooner or later. I respect there are other opinions on the matter, I just really can't understand the outrage for this.

This whole thread just reminds me of:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By being titled "Final Fantasy VII Remake," it did by default.

If someone who played the original on PS1 sees this on a retail shelf, they should not be expected to think, "I better read the back of the box to make sure this isn't just 1/4 of the original game!"

There is no valid or logical argument against this. You're not arguing against anything. Stop blaming consumers for a corporation making a purposeful choice to try and mislead casual buyers, which is what they are factually doing.
This so much. No other remake expects this from customers. But it's FF7 so now obvioduly it should be expected, and SE taking advantage of it is totally fine.

Last edited:

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really, REALLY don't see how this is a problem. It's not like they're hiding it. Even if you don't follow gaming news or any kind of news and assuming you read absolutely nothing about FF7R despite being interested in playing it (I mean...come on...) for the past 5 years and no one you know told you about it...it is STILL mentioned on the back of the box as well as on the description on the PSN. You can't brush that off, like that's not a valid argument, the information is there!

I also don't buy into this conspiracy theory that square is purposely labeling this as a remake to trick people into buying it...like this thing isn't gonna sell gangbusters regardless. Also, there's absolutely no way an "old fan" is not going to come across this information sooner or later. I respect there are other opinions on the matter, I just really can't understand the outrage for this.

Round #239...FIGHT!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

"No way" yet I know multiple people who didnt come across this information. You have several people in this fucking thread providing evidence they know people who are not aware despite being interested. "Conspiracy" my ass.

People dont read fucking IGN or Era. They watch trailers. Thats it. Get lost with your "b-b-but its on the back of the box" bullshit already. Nobody fucking reads that, or PSN descriptions for that matter. Stop being so goddamn disingenuous.

If they are not hiding it, why the fuck dont they mention it in a single trailer? Why can they put "Remake" on the box, but not "part 1"?

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
There are only 2 kind of buyers for this product:

- True fans who have been waiting for this for a lifetime.

- Newcomers to the saga who didn't play the original because they are either too young or too casual.

In the first case, those are FULLY INFORMED , since years ago, about what this project will be. No excuses.

As for the second group, they don't give a damn because this is their first time in the world of FFVII.

This is a textbook fake outrage. Square has never been shady about this and they got already a huge preemptive attack just for the sake of it. Now that the remake is shaping up to be AWESOME we have to find new excuses to tear it down.

Acting like people in 2020 are as misinformed as in the 80s... yikes.

And, yes, I personally root for a company that makes the biggest and most ambitious remake ever made, which is a risky project and the BEST FOR THE FANS. Because, you know, such a great lore and characters like the ones from FFVII deserved better than a standalone game.