• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
People who think it's enough to just have it on the back of the box - do you also read every single terms of use form you ever sign?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After everything we've seen at this point I'm interpreting the FFVII remake as more of an adaptation than a 1:1 translation. Kinda more like the TV adaptations of books, like Game of Thrones and Witcher. Some things are excised, some things are greatly expanded, some new characters are added, that sorta thing.

they've said countless times that this is the length of a full game, Christ

I think this misunderstanding is fundamentally why they aren't labelling it. Square Enix has experience with episodic games with Life is Strange, and they have the data for how people buy such games.

So I get why they didn't go with "Part 1", because even in this thread a lot of people who do know it's only Midgar think it'll be a 6 hour experience, but I still reckon they shoulda gone with a subtitle.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, not sure how people can defend this. I'm also surprised at how many people are apparently buying this at $60.

They have said that the expanded content will give it the value of a full title. Whether or not it ends up being true remains to be seen.

The only reason they're splitting it up like this is because they screwed up the development and need to see some return on their investment now.

Nope. You just made this up.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I still don't understand how this is different from It and It Chapter 2

I'm not even an FF or SE fanboy or anything (I've only played a few FF games, 7 not included) I just don't get the distinction.
Basically:
IT is:
1) Not a $60 game that requires a PS4 to play
2) Not a 40 hours long action RPG
3) Part 1 of a 2-part series where Part 2 came out only a year afterwards
4) A complete story in its own right

And IT is also part of a franchise that has already been established as something that can easily be broken up into seperate parts. People either know it from the book, which has a heavy distinction between the kids and adults storylines, or the popular TV mini-series which has a literal seperation between the two parts of the story.

No? They've never advertised it as anything other than a multi-part series.

Except for in every single trailer, promotional advertisement and the box-art itself.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It doesn't need to, it's the first in a series, a complete story and not a remake of something that is TWENTY years old being broken up into multiple parts.
Never mind the fact that at the time of this movie there was no guarantee that there would even be sequels.
But beyond all that the fact that there is a LARGE MAIN TITLE and a small subtitle implies that there is at least an intention to do more.
Yes, it does need to. I went to see the movie when I was a child expecting to be a whole story.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
how many examples of confusion around this project do people need in this thread to realize that people will misunderstand the scope of this game? There are numerous examples in here of people who wanted this but were surprised to later learn it's not the full remake. It's being ignored to defend Square and blame consumers for a marketing decision made solely to help Square.
But, they are *underestimating* the scope of the game, thinking that it's going to be one normal-length RPG for the full story when actually it is going to be multiple normal-length RPGs to get the full story. That's a great surprise. How are people harmed by that?

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
The fact that you agree with this is all that matters.

There's no other argument to be had: you agree it's better to put "Midgar" or "Part 1" in the title.

And I said it from the beginning. And that if in this circumstance, the customer doesn't get what he wants because he didn't search for himself, it's his fault.
They're not mutually exclusive.

Yeah its not the companies job to educate people on what they want to sell the consumers!

That's up for the consumers to look up themselves!

Laugh emoji

Is that a way of saying when you see cool pictures on a stand, you buy things?
I sense an attempt of sarcasm but it doesn't really goes well with that idea.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it does need to. I went to see the movie when I was a child expecting to be a whole story.
It's clear you aren't arguing in good faith, so I'm not even going to bother replying to trash posts like this anymore.
It's shocking to me how people will bend over backwards and make ridiculous comparisons that are nowhere near the same just to defend a multi million dollar company because they like Final Fantasy.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely needs a subtitle or part 1 on the cover. This is gonna backfire big time.

After it sells 20 million copies, about 200-400 people are gonna demand refunds for incomplete games.

Joking aside, that's my expectations of the problem, no one is going to care other than for a few days before/after release. But it really should have the subtitle to it.

May 25, 2019
London
Do you have any source on this? Because they clearly said they split in parts because of the scope of the remake and that is pretty clear when you see how the game is shaping up to be. So, show the receipts, please.

It's an internet forum, does every single take need a verifiable source? I have no inside knowledge of Square, this is just me attempting to read the tea leaves of the last several years.

My view on this title is that they announced it at E3 2015. They farmed out parts of it to CyberConnect 2 and then that relationship was too chaotic for them, so they scrapped a good chunk of that work and brought it in house. They've spent five years on development now and they need to release something to continue justifying production. Hence, they cut scope to what they consider the minimum viable product and are releasing that.

The talk of them expanding Midgar and all is great, but I have no illusions that this is going to be a full, satisfying release for anyone but the hardest of the hardcore Final Fantasy fans.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely needs a subtitle or part 1 on the cover. This is gonna backfire big time.

After it sells 20 million copies, about 200-400 people are gonna demand refunds for incomplete games.

Joking aside, that's my expectations of the problem, no one is going to care other than for a few days before/after release. But it really should have the subtitle to it.

that depends entirely on how satisfying the game feels, if it feels too short or ends in an awkward way, there's gonna be a lot more disappointed people

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It's clear you aren't arguing in good faith, so I'm not even going to bother replying to trash posts like this anymore.
It's shocking to me how people will bend over backwards and make ridiculous comparisons that are nowhere near the same just to defend a multi million dollar company because they like Final Fantasy.
Yeah, I'm arguing in bad faith because I didn't know Harry Potter was a series of books. Sure.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
And how many of those people will feel like they didn't get a full experience? How many will actually be upset vs your imagination of people feeling ripped off? People on era also tend to exaggerated outrage.
So long as the number of deceived folks is above 0, it's worth looking into. There's more people than you and me in the world.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's no change any of that will happen. It always amuse me how people are so apocalyptical about square enix.

I don't think Squeenix's track record with Final Fantasy deserves the benefit of the doubt.

FFXII was in development hell, took over five years to make.
FFVersusXIII was in development hell and had to be scrapped.
FFXIV was a disaster and had to be rebooted.
FFXV was a rushed out mess that took around four years to make despite being made from the scraps of another.
FFVIIR switched developers mid-way through and development started over again.

And then there's KH3, another Nomura production, taking almost six years to make from the time it was announced.

The amusing thing is that the games people care about the least, XIII-1-2-3, are the ones that seemingly had the most stable development and release schedule lol.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Basically:

And IT is also part of a franchise that has already been established as something that can easily be broken up into seperate parts. People either know it from the book, which has a heavy distinction between the kids and adults storylines, or the popular TV mini-series which has a literal seperation between the two parts of the story.

Except for in every single trailer, promotional advertisement and the box-art itself.
I mean none of those are really relevant to what we're talking about. Needing to own a PS4 hardly matters when talking about whether the advertising is misleading.

Plus the It poster doesn't even have a back of the box to read, you'd literally need to check the Wikipedia page to learn you're not getting the full adaptation. In that sense FF7R is a lot better.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
That's the point: most people aren't upset about this to that point.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be pointed out that leaving "Part 1" out of the title is misleading and should be in it.

That's all most people are trying to say. It's the most lukeworm common sense take ever. And yet, somehow, some people are trying to find a way to be argumentative about it.
Are you not buying it?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I view it like many others. They always mention it being multipart, they say it on the back of the box and on PSN and above that it isnt a 1:1 Remake but rather a new adaption.

People who think it's enough to just have it on the back of the box - do you also read every single terms of use form you ever sign?

Are we really comparing the back of the box with terms of use? Really?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
that depends entirely on how satisfying the game feels, if it feels too short or ends in an awkward way, there's gonna be a lot more disappointed people

I am expecting it to be a 20-30 hour game, with another 20-30 hours of optional side quests / boss fights. I think within those numbers no one is going to be disappointed.

I'm curious if you'll be able to import your stats into part 2 though, or if it'll just start you from a set state.

RandomDudeSTL

Dec 5, 2017
Everyone who is defending Square: Go look at the PSN page for this game here and tell me that's not misleading. They don't mention that it's only part 1 until this sentence buried down in the description:

"FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE is a reimagining of the iconic original with unforgettable characters, a mind-blowing story, and epic battles.
The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party's escape from Midgar, and goes deeper into the events occurring in Midgar than the original FINAL FANTASY VII."

They are trying to trick consumers into purchasing this product without being upfront about exactly what it is, plain and simple. The reason is obvious: they know they would lose some sales by being fully transparent.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But how did buying the game harm you? Did you not get 40 hours of enjoyment from it, before you reached the end and discovered that it didn't tell the complete story?

If you bought the game expecting to see scenes from the story past Midgar, you might well be frustrated and disappointed when you don't. And you'd be out $60, so...

Acting like this is no big deal because the buyer would obviously get 40 hours of enjoyment out of it is asinine. Maybe their favorite parts are in the later parts of the story?

But, they are *underestimating* the scope of the game, thinking that it's going to be one normal-length RPG for the full story when actually it is going to be multiple normal-length RPGs to get the full story. That's a great surprise. How are people harmed by that?

A "great surprise"? That they have the opportunity to wait untold years and pay at least like another $120 to get the remake they thought they were getting?

Okay, now I'm convinced, you gotta be trolling. You almost had me, but this last bit was too obvious.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People who defend this are proof that there is literally a defense force for everything. Square loses nothing but the people who would buy this only because they think its the full game, and at that point youre defending false advertising.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If anyone disputes the thread's title even for a second, they really, really need to readjust their perception of corporations, and maybe join a corporate PR detox clinic.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
...and it was a whole story.

FWIW it won't be hard for the FFVII Remake to wrap up the Midgar story in a satisfying way. The comparisons to movies are kinda silly - it's much easier to accept if you view the whole Remake project as a TV series, with each part being a season. Not everything will be tied up, but there'll be enough of a culmination, followed by teases of what's to come next.

Of course they could screw it up but yeah.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that people here think consumers are so dumb they don't realize it's not the full game.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
It's intentionally misleading, and the fact that there are people defending this is beyond me. Why defend it? There is absolutely *zero* reason to do so.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yeah, I'm arguing in bad faith because I didn't know Harry Potter was a series of books. Sure.

The fact that you're think your Harry Potter argument is valid is honestly kind of hilarious when they split the final book into two movies and made sure to put "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the title.

You tried using Harry Potter to back your argument when it actually is a perfect example of what you're trying to argue against.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Just the way this is a full game?

The Harry Potter movies adapted the entire books of the same title, except for Deathly Hallows, which they indicated as "Part x"

FF7 Remake does not adapt the entire game of the same title, regardless of how long its play time may be.

I feel like you and others must at least understand this, even if you personally don't care?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a lot of people are going to be angry. A mainstream hit usually means that 90 percent of the people that played and loved the original game don't even know that this is getting remade.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
FWIW it won't be hard for the FFVII Remake to wrap up the Midgar story in a satisfying way. The comparisons to movies are kinda silly - it's much easier to accept if you view the whole Remake project as a TV series, with each part being a season. Not everything will be tied up, but there'll be enough of a culmination, followed by teases of what's to come next.

Of course they could screw it up but yeah.

Problem is TV series are generally annual, and this is probably going to be be more every decade or so? Or at the very least people seem to think 3+ years per part, and that's best case scenario. 1-2 would be incredible, but I feel like 3+ is the more realistic expectation... which even at 4 parts would put it almost 10 years out.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, it's stupid, but anyone who would cares enough to get mad about it probably already knows because of the 5 years of discussion and buildup for the game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is TV series are generally annual, and this is probably going to be be more every decade or so?

Yeah that's the big question. Ideally it'd be every 2 years, which would line up with how FFXIII's trilogy worked out, but it depends how much asset reuse happens. I don't think it'll be a decade, at least.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
how many examples of confusion around this project do people need in this thread to realize that people will misunderstand the scope of this game? There are numerous examples in here of people who wanted this but were surprised to later learn it's not the full remake. It's being ignored to defend Square and blame consumers for a marketing decision made solely to help Square.

I'm not defending the decision, I specifically quoted that poster because they seemed to think that they were selling you a 10 hour game at full price (which I mean, plenty of games are shorter but whatever) and would do this for the next 4 games or however many there will be. They've said this game is a full length RPG on its own. Could they be lying? Obviously.

as for the title, I don't care personally cuz I've known for years, but clearly others do. And they could've come up with subtitles that are perfect for the part of the story they're telling ie the obvious ":Midgar."

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
People who defend this are proof that there is literally a defense force for everything. Square loses nothing but the people who would buy this only because they think its the full game, and at that point youre defending false advertising.

Exactly. No one is harmed by making the title clear. The only result is that some people who wouldn't want to buy just the first part of the story wouldn't. And the argument against doing so is that...those people deserve to lose their money? I don't get it.