• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I don't like to drink coffee because it makes me sleepy =( I love the taste, but I get sleepy right after drinking it... same happens when I consume redbull and stuff like that =(

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure this is somewhat related to tolerance. I used to chug a couple energy drinks a night and barely felt anything. Nowadays I have one cup of espresso in the morning and I'm wired until lunch, little to no caffeine otherwise.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I drink coffee and it makes me sleepy. I think it's because it's a hot drink.

A strong coffee may have an effect, but if it's just your usual morning coffee, it doesn't really work that much.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Are these people for real? What kind of Sh*t is this? First of all I call BS, and second are you saying this as some kind of badge of honor or something?

There are always co-workers who make this crazy claim.
Yes. Caffeine doesn't effect every equally. For sure taking a fuck ton of caffeine does have an effect. But the only time I've felt physical effects from caffeine was taking probably 10 double vodka and Monsters on one New Years night. I always think people are overblowing it when they claim the shakes after one particularly strong coffee...

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If OP's still confused over this and is serious about this, do you live in the United States? If so, you've probably seen commercials for anti-depressants on TV at some point or another. And in those commercials, you've probably heard lines like "please contact a doctor immediately if you have suicidal ideation, etc, etc". And that line's there because for some people certain anti-depressants indeed end up having the opposite of the intended effect and end up making the problems worse. And that's because of just how complicated the body is and different things affect people differently and that unfortunately there's no such thing as panaceas and while there are broad trends and norms with medicine, the key word there is trends and a lot ultimately comes down to the individual.

Same deal here. Some people caffeine works really well for, other people don't really feel much of anything. Bodies are complicated, everyone is different, etc. This isn't a case of winning an argument and one person telling the truth and another lying, or anything like that, but just a case where everyone's telling the truth and it affects different people differently and while their might be general trends with caffeine that doesn't preclude individual differences that deviate from that, just like with say anti-depressants and how the general trend is they do indeed help many people and while such severe side-effects aren't the norm by any stretch and thus why they're sold in the first place, it can also be true for others specific ones make the problems worse due to those same kind of factors and individual differences. That's all.

Nov 14, 2017
It's down to tolerance. I've been known to have a double espresso and fallen asleep shortly afterwards, but I drink lots of coffee all the time. It's the same as smokers that need a cigarette before sleep, even though nicotine is a stimulant.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Its me. Coffee effect lasted for like 30 min to me.

Still helpful for not being sleepy at evening tho

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Coffee doesn't wake me up, but it will keep me from sleeping.

If Im a zombie during the day, coffee won't make me feel any more alert. That said, if I coffee after 4pm, I could be physically and mentally exhausted but still toss and turn at night. It sucks really.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
My wife is one of these people. Legit drinks a cup of coffee before bed. It's SO weird.

I'm normal and need it to get through life

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ADHD types can find stimulants to be just the opposite of most people.

I just want to choke slam people who still claim tea has more caffeine than coffee.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Not for coffee. Certain kinds of energy drinks do it to me though. Fill me full of gas and bloat. Thats more of all the sugar and additives rather than caffeine though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably because I've drunk so much caffeine in my life, but I can (and do) drink (non-surgary) soda before bed. Doesn't make me sleepy, just doesn't keep me awake, and I sleep fine. Note, I *do* feel the effects of caffeine in other situations (though not the shakes or anything - I drink a lot of the stuff, my body is used to it).

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a cup or two does nothing for me, but I drink it for the taste and placebo, obviously drinking a shit ton does have an effect but not one that I want, it definitely affect my sleep quality at night if I were to drink it consistently through out the day.

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
Are these people for real? What kind of Sh*t is this? First of all I call BS, and second are you saying this as some kind of badge of honor or something?

Besides the fact that coffee is disgusting, coffee doesnt wake me up or does anything, energy drinks do more to my system.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Does nothing for me. I'll stop and get a large coffee at night, get home, finish it, and then go right to bed. I'm jealous of the people that can drink a cup of coffee and wake up.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It is not, I asked a co-worker do you drink coffee, and she hit me with it does nothing for me.............this answer bothers me to no end, tell me you don't like the taste, or just say no, why is it always It does nothing for me?

Does nothing for me could be about over all experience. Taste meh. Energy boost meh. Comes with downsides like stained teeth.

For me personally I like the taste but it doesn't sit well.

I have a really high tolerance level for caffeine so any highly caffeinated beverage or coffee in general has no real affect on me. In the morning, it'll perk me up for probably and hour or two but then nothing.

Can drink coffee/tea/energy drink before bed and sleep like a champ.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have to think that part of the awake feeling some people get is placebo from actually expecting it to have that effect. I've definitely drank coffee before taking a nap. I take one those work out super energy drinks when I'm sleepy and have to do anything and even then I don't think it really does much.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
after training to do 3 different brewing methods 9 times (3 each) in 25 minutes, I have earned the badge for caffeine doesnt do shit

nothing broke my caffeine capacity faster than training to be a competitive barista

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I drank a Monster in high school and fell asleep. I have no idea what that means, but I don't often have anything with caffeine in it.

SamuelBeckwit

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the taste of coffee, but I don't notice it keeping me alert. About the best it does is keep me tossing and turning, tired as all hell, fitfully sleeping. I don't drink coffee after 6pm as a result.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I get nothing from caffeine. At least I don't think I do. I can drink coffee and go sleep. I can feel sleepy and tired, drink some coffee and that doesn't help me at all. So... 🤷‍♂️

I drink it because I like the taste of some coffee drinks. But nothing useful from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I have 3 black coffees a day, basically 1 after each meal. I try to have decaf at night time since it has less caffeine, but there will be days where I drink caffeinated coffee at night to stay up longer. Even then I end up falling asleep at the same time, or even earlier than on days that I have decaf.

At this point I only have coffee to not get headaches and to keep me afloat not to get me more awake/hyper. It's also tasty and it washes off the flavour of your food quite nicely.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
When people tell me the opposite, that coffee wakes them up, I sorta subconsciously don't believe them. Like at work I usually assume they just want a break for a bit and "I need coffee" is a good way to steal 15 minutes for non smokers.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Caffeine really doesn't do much for me at all, at least not in the quantity you get from a coffee. People always talk about how it perks them up in the morning (or how they can't function without it); I feel exactly the same whether I have a coffee or not.

Dunno what to tell you, OP.

birdinsky

Jun 10, 2019
Personally, it's a psychological reaction more than a physical one. Caffeine does almost nothing unless I mainline it to the point of heart palpitations and shaking hands -- I've definitely had coffee right before naps/bed -- but at the same time, not having it in the morning feels shitty from a psychological perspective. Drinking that iced coffee is, like, bracing myself for the work day. And tbh, even though I feel almost nothing subjectively, there is probably some sort of physical reaction -- when I was working in the US and drinking like five cups a day, I would have headaches if I didn't have my morning coffee. I assume that was some sort of physical dependency and I've walked myself back from that, but it remains the case that my mom doesn't drink coffee at any point after like 4pm because she can't sleep and I can drink it at 9pm and sleep like a baby.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm used to drinking coffee everyday, so it doesn't help me at all. And yeah, on more than one ocasión I've had a cup just to fall sleep afterwards.
I drink it because I like it, not because I need to wake up or whatever.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I am one of them. I believe it's tied to ADD/ADHD.

I have quite literally had an energy drink and fallen asleep 15 minutes later. Caffeine has very little effect on me.

If I want to stay awake in the office, it's far more effective for me to get up and walk around than it is for me to get a coffee.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I do not believe any of you , that it does nothing. Its a stimulant!

Co-workers go parading around like its some kind of badge of honor! It is a lie! You just don't drink coffee or you took one sip 10 years ago, and proclaimed is does nothing.
Every drug affects everyone differently . There is even some people who get opposite effects from drugs I forget the term but look it up. Paradoxical or something.
Also you can develop massive tolerances. I only drink coffee at dinner around 7pm .

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am Costa Rican, and I drink three or four full glasses of coffee daily. It does nothing to me in terms of sleeping. I usually drink a cup of coffee before going to sleep.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same way until I drank two Red Bulls. My heart rate increased and I couldn't breathe properly. It was hell.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It sure as fuck doesn't do anything for me. Maybe if I hadn't grown up drinking sodas and other things loaded with caffeine.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There are mental illnesses that effect the same part of the brain that cafine operates on. For example, people with ADHD, Tourette's, or other illnesses along that line are the most succeptible to having the effects of stimulants like cafine completely swap on them

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I can take preworkout and still go to sleep like a baby right after. I should probably cycle off but meh

Oct 25, 2017
I have Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Caffeine has never done anything for me, is that really the reason? I never thought about them being linked until I saw this thread and some people saying so.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I remember ever getting any sort of energy boost or increased focus from it. I just drink it for the taste and by habit, probably should just switch to decaf.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
When I was younger, before I really drank coffee, yes it would make me sleepy. Like, looking back I think it just overloaded my brain, similar to now where I drink2 cups a day, but if I have really strong shit or drink more than my usual 2 cups really quickly with no food, my brain just like, shuts off and I can't focus.