• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is RDR2 currently one of the best games of all time?

• Yes

Votes: 400 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 608 60.3%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No.

Amazing level of detail, splendid visuals, large variety of activities, well written acted and told... some great characters that are up there amongst the best in the medium....

Not that fun to actually play.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's an absolute masterpiece of a game.

Few games reach this level of narrative design and polish.

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Singleplayer I give it a solid 9 definitely lived up to my expectations and than some.

Red Dead online tho oof 3 out of 10

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
No

The gameplay and controls being mediocre wouldn't matter that much to me if the story was really good throughout the whole game, but the story takes a nosedive after a certain big event in chapter 4. The game also had to have a Redemption story even though the one we got was nonsensical imo, but I won't go to deep into that in this thread. The game had great moments, but also loads of bad moments. Overall it's a good game/experience.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's not a bad game, but it didn't change the world or the genre like everyone else was saying in the reviews thread. The most impactful experience I've had this gen has been The Witcher 3 and it's expansions.

The world of RDR2 is amazing but it's bogged down by the R* mission design from games prior. There was so much they could have done but they stuck to the tired and true formula. There were only like 2 or 3 missions that actually stood out.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I gave this question alot of thought and in the end I decided that RDR2 felt like a 9-minute shred guitar solo: it's insanely polished, ridiculously impressive from a technical standpoint and often leaves you wondering how it's even possible. At the same time, it goes on a little too long, it probably wouldn't be worth playing on repeat and often feels as though it's primary purpose was to be impressive above all else...

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, I have to agree with this. The OP reads like it's just looking for base confirmation from a community that the game isn't great and people wanting the same thing have a flimsy reason shout to each other. I still think it's valid to compare, contrast and criticize titles of all shapes and sizes with good discussion involved. However, context and environment means a ton and it's simply toxic from the word "Go." It's inevitable with popular titles or well-received titles, especially during the end of the year.

It's really best to just ignore these and let the people that want their food fight dish it out. Let them have their shouts and moans. It won't change anything in the long-term or grand scheme of the title.
You guys seem to be the most hostile out of most of the replies here. At least that's the way it's coming off. Thread has been pretty tame by comparison.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
It's not terrible, but if this wasn't Rockstar I would give up after the first 10 hours and nothing of value would have been lost.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Not even close.
The characters are great, the world, story and music is great.

But it's a slog to play, and just so unnecessarily slow. And riding on your horse whilst getting an exposition dump to your objective marker was so boring especially on the really long rides.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
RDR2 is a technical marvel that truly created a living, breathing world that I could practically smell. I was constantly blown away by it.

Is it one of the best ever though? I'll have to let the game sink in a bit more. I still haven't completely the overly-long epilogue (which I think is the game's one sole misstep as far as pacing is concerned), but I'll get back to it, and play the online a little once they've fixed the economy.

Whether is cracks my top 10 or not, it's a feat in gaming that I was not ready for.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Greatest game I've ever played. By far the best experience I've had in gaming my whole life. Absolutely masterpiece.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's not even in your top 100...I don't even know what to say. It's easily top 5

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
No. I love the story, characters, and the high budget nature of it. But the quest design is still rubbish, too much riding along to a certain marker and handholding.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
No I struggled through it. The presentation is excellent but the gameplay just didn't hook me. I can recognise and respect the praise and I'm very happy that so many people enjoyed it as much as they did but for me there are games I enjoyed playing far more this year.

To understand where I'm coming from though, it's probably important to point out that MGSV is one of my favourite games of all time. As is Dragon's Dogma. As is BotW. Open world games to me need absolutely top gameplay and/or exploration otherwise I struggle to enjoy them. To me, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is the best open world game released this year.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You guys seem to be the most hostile out of most of the replies here. At least that's the way it's coming off. Thread has been pretty tame by comparison.
From me there is a certain intention to it because I don't think being more measured has worked(as in I don't think era right now has the mindset for its posters to even engage in good discussion, long measured interesting takes have 0 engagement while people can write pages of 1 line responses to a hot take they find disagreeable and that is not to say I'm 100% against that but again it's just the balance of things is really bad in my opinion). So I'm trying to see what being more aggressive and directly challenging does. But part of it is also that it's an attitude that is in response to months of seeing the same shit happen to every big release. There is just something sad about how it feels like I'm reading the same type of discussion around god of war as I do now about red dead 2 and these two are completely different games. It just feels like people should have different things to say about them. But apparently not.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 1 was my favorite game of all time and this bests it in every single way, so yea for sure.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Even though it feels like a total conversion GTAV mod. Yes absolutely. I loved Arthur and John and it had such a great story. I also think the gameplay is fun, and I like the shooting.

I even like how the controls are slightly wonky and when I accidentally choke people when I try to do something else. It makes for some really funny moments. I also think the dialogue is great and really funny at times.

Moreover I feel like I am getting my money's worth with the game. I am still playing and am not in a rush to complete to epilogue. I haven't enjoyed an open world game this much since Skyrim. But I like this game so much more.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
God of War 2018 still tops it for me. It's fighting for 2nd place with Spiderman

I can't really speak in terms of greatest of all time.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It would be a lot higher on my list if the epilogue was tighter. Chapter 6 is so good that that epilogue just left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I had a lot of issues with it, especially in the first ten hours or so, but it won me over eventually and at times it was truly magical.

I would say it's a very, very good video game and would probably be in my top 10 with (maybe) a little help from recency bias. But I wouldn't say it's even the best game I've played this year.

Best and most detailed open world ever created? Yes, and probably by quite a long shot.

Best story/narrative in a video game? Hmm - maybe up there jostling for position but there's still a couple I'd probably put above it immediately.

Best gameplay? No.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A phenomenal world and decent plot is marred by the gameplay mechanics. Shooting is awful and you spend half the game riding on a horse to the next mission. I like the game and its a technical marvel but i cant say its one of the greats right now. I fear it will age like milk.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I don't know how to really answer this. I don't know if its my favorite game of all time but its the single greatest video game I have ever played.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Top tier story, top tier characters, amazing world, NPCs, ect. Gameplay is unfortunately mediocre and that's not something I can overlook.

I'd put it in my top 50, maybe top 25. If the gameplay had been there it'd easily have cracked top 10.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
The game wore out it's welcome, and the epilogue was a chore for me. If the game ended where it should have , I would have a higher opinion of the game. They could have wrapped up the game in the ending credits, or made the epilogue free DLC.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's one of the best games without a doubt. Claiming that it's not in your top 100 is just ridiculous. Yes, it's fully subjective, but there are lots of objective points in RDR2 that deserve recognition.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I have not finished and did not vote in the poll, but so far it's not. Maybe not even top 5 this Gen for me (BotW, Mario Odysset, God of War, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and Persona 5 were all better for me)

I just finished chapter 3, and I think this game does a ton right narratively, but I find the gameplay super dull. I think the writing and storytelling are master class and in fact better than any of my top 5 games this Gen besides maybe TW3, but that's about where it ends.

Presentation wise I have been slowly souring on it after my last few play sessions have had a ton of visual bugs with my horse falling through the ground in cutscenes multiple times or Arthur's guns floating in space, or egregious clipping issues. The lack of real HDR also doesn't help.

I also can't bring myself to give a damn about engaging with any of the gameplay systems, because the main story missions throw more money than I can spend at me, and the stats on gear barely seems to matter.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the credits now and yeah the epilogue felt so bloated and unnecessary.

The game wore out it's welcome, and the epilogue was a chore for me. If the game ended where it should have , I would have a higher opinion of the game. They could have wrapped up the game in the ending credits, or made the epilogue free DLC.

It would be a lot higher on my list if the epilogue was tighter. Chapter 6 is so good that that epilogue just left a horrible taste in my mouth.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I could see what they were going for narratively to take away the camp mechanics (the gang is falling apart), but it on ly highlighted how useless the gang mechanics were in the entire game. I ended up neglecting the camp partway through Chapter 4 and my gameplay experience was not impacted at all.

Another thing that ended up being meaningless was gun condition. Ended up being this really basic thing where you press a button to clean your gun after the condition meter went down. The cleaning animation lasted like 5 seconds, that's it. That's the entirety of the "gun condition" system.

That's one of the things that bug me about R* games in general. They have all these extraneous mechanics laid thinly on top of their basic gameplay loop that don't actually do anything or affect the game in any meaningful way. These mechanics seem to have been added to sell the game in trailers and whatnot. "Woah you have guns with different conditions now! The game looks deep!"
You're right, I visited the gun shop and was confused to see that my guns had all degenerated because they didn't feel any different. It's just like the upgrade system in GTA V. The only thing that mattered was stamina, I never noticed driving handling or shooting getting better.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a great game and probably my favorite in this rockstar formula. I don't think it's one of the best games of all time, but I think there are a lot of moments in there that really approach making it into a game that could be that.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could see what they were going for narratively to take away the camp mechanics (the gang is falling apart), but it on ly highlighted how useless the gang mechanics were in the entire game. I ended up neglecting the camp partway through Chapter 4 and my gameplay experience was not impacted at all.

Another thing that ended up being meaningless was gun condition. Ended up being this really basic thing where you press a button to clean your gun after the condition meter went down. The cleaning animation lasted like 5 seconds, that's it. That's the entirety of the "gun condition" system.

That's one of the things that bug me about R* games in general. They have all these extraneous mechanics laid thinly on top of their basic gameplay loop that don't actually do anything or affect the game in any meaningful way. These mechanics seem to have been added to sell the game in trailers and whatnot. "Woah you have guns with different conditions now! The game looks deep!"

But they do affect the game in meaningful ways. Take your gun cleaning example; if you don't clean your weapons not only do they perform worse, eg have less damage, range etc, but they are also prone to jamming or sticking, and firing less quickly.

Add to that, the gun conditioning mechanic acts as a portfolio mode of sorts, allowing you a much closer inspection to admire your beautiful weapons, which is far more important given there's such a vast array of weapon customisation options in the game.

Hell, I customised each and every one of my weapons with unique wood grains, colours, metal combinations, engravings, carvings, you mame it, so not only did weapon conditioning have a combat effect, but the cleaning added a different element to the management side of gameplay, that also gave added value to weapon customisation and detailing.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that when I take a step back and look at it thoroughly, I'm met with the fact that the game is extremely rote with an above average story. The game gets in its own way, whether its the burdensome controls, or the entirety of Chapter 5 and most of Chapter 6.

Its superb achievement to me is in the details, primarily regarding visuals with picturesque landscapes painted by the most impressive lighting system that this industry has ever seen. But the way that the game looks doesn't change just how dated the core gameplay loop is, which accounts for most of my negativity regarding it.

I'm not sure what RDR2 is going to bring to the future of videogames aside from pressuring the rest of the industry to improve their aesthetics. Videogames have refined and evolved past what RDR2 is doing with the controller a long time ago. I don't know what it has left to teach outside of out-of-this-world eye candy and wildlife.

Con Con

Oct 25, 2017
The game is a monumental achievement in storytelling and world design. It's not perfect but I believe it belongs in many top 10 or 20 lists

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game has some of the highest highs of any game I've ever played, but the fact that it's saddled with some many frustrating lows is what will forever keep it out of any best games ever list. Currently it's not even the best game I played this year.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would but the fact that there's no fast travel means it will never be the greatest of all time.
It actually has fast travel, but it comes into the story very late and you have to pay for it. Rockstar found a way to make something simple into an inconvenience, which I guess is part of the game's DNA

Nov 30, 2018
It actually has fast travel, but it comes into the story very late and you have to pay for it. Rockstar found a way to make something simple into an inconvenience, which I guess is part of the game's DNA

There is fast travel to one location but no fast travel back.

That's needless hours spent on horseback that can be used to finish missions or hunting.

Why am I gonna fast travel across the map to hunt or fish and then ride all the way back.

People have jobs

R8ER34

Mar 4, 2018
I enjoyed the Marston stuff. What is the gripe people are having about the shooting?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished it last night.

I found the story, characters, writing, voice acting, cinematography in cut scenes, graphics tech and World detail absolutely phenomenal.

Unfortunately I found the player control abysmal, the gunplay serviceable at best and the missions design terribly dated. It also went on far, far too long near the end. I was begging for it to end halfway through the second epilogue.

A 7.5/10 for me. It wouldn't even get in my top 10 of the gen or my top 50 of all time.

I adored the original (although I have never revisited it since launch), enjoyed GTA IV and loved GTA V / Max Payne 3 so it's definable not a "Rockstar games just aren't for you" case.

I'm glad that those that loved it, enjoyed it though!