• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need to replace my anicent Galaxy Tab A, and been thinking about getting a windows 2 n 1 because I don't really do anything but read and watch videos on it. And Windows does a better job of that, especially PDFs

Winterblink

Oct 26, 2017
I need to replace my anicent Galaxy Tab A, and been thinking about getting a windows 2 n 1 because I don't really do anything but read and watch videos on it. And Windows does a better job of that, especially PDFs
I don't own one, but I can only imagine it's going to be a lot better than an aging Android tablet. Windows Central (admittedly biased) reviewed the lowest SKU of the Go and still found it to be surprisingly capable.

Amory

Oct 27, 2017
The specs on that thing put me off instantly. Especially because it's not even particularly cheap.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have one and it's great. Way above my expectations. Just running Office and Web stuff on it, so certainly not putting it under any heavy loads, but it's been a dream and better to travel with than even my old Surface Pro.

Did have to buy a new USBc hdmi adapter as the Go does not the old surface port or standard USB. But yeah, great device.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've also been thinking of getting one. Had a Surface Pro 3 but had to sell it, but really miss having one.

Reviews I've watched really like it - but if you don't plan on using the Edge browser, you're gonna have to purchase the Windows 10 license.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Let me get this straight...

You're thinking of 2 in 1, yet you don't do much but deal with PDFs and read and watch video content. If this is mainly a consumption device, wouldn't an older notebook or a current 9.7 iPad be a much better value for this purpose? The notebook with be dirt cheap, the iPad would be the best consumption device ever.

Both would be better for your needs than a Surface Go.

That being said, if you can find a deal, go for it. It's not bad, but the value proposition is lacking.

Oct 29, 2017
The specs on that thing put me off instantly. Especially because it's not even particularly cheap.

Performance-wise, it has been no worse for me than my old Surface Pro 4 was for my usage (watching videos, reading/writing documents, web-surfing).

Honestly, after having it for a couple of months, I've found it to be just decent as a tablet and mediocre as a laptop--mainly because it isn't comfortable to use on my lap at all. I'm likely to just sell it and put the money towards a proper ultrabook at this point.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want one but the keyboard is too small. We're talking about the 10 inch $400 one right? 4GB of RAM isn't really terrible for what you need it for. I'm currently using a Lenovo Yoga 710 and it's still great. I want the Surface for no real legitimate reason.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

You're thinking of 2 in 1, yet you don't do much but deal with PDFs and read and watch video content. If this is mainly a consumption device, wouldn't an older notebook or a current 9.7 iPad be a much better value for this purpose? The notebook with be dirt cheap, the iPad would be the best consumption device ever.

That being said, if you can find a deal, go for it. It's not bad, but the value proposition is lacking.
I won't be using it as a laptop for the majority of the time, and not interested in the ipad or being locked into another echosystem.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
I've also been thinking of getting one. Had a Surface Pro 3 but had to sell it, but really miss having one.

Reviews I've watched really like it - but if you don't plan on using the Edge browser, you're gonna have to purchase the Windows 10 license.

You can switch to Windows 10 Home from S Mode for free. Pro is where you'll have to pay money.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This. I can't help but think you should get an iPad instead for your purposes.

Device itself isn't bad, but 4 gigs of RAM can be a nuisance, and the price isn't that cheap if you get the 8 gig model + the keyboard.

That being said if you can get a sale on it then maybe go for it.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
This. I can't help but think you should get an iPad instead for your purposes.

Device itself isn't bad, but 4 gigs of RAM can be a nuisance, and the price isn't that cheap if you get the 8 gig model + the keyboard.

That being said if you can get a sale on it then maybe go for it.
Yeah, the Go isn't terrible, but it's a very bad deal stock, even comfortably equipped unless you really find a good discount.

I also don't get the locked ecosystem thing against iPad. OP doesn't have one, but has an android tablet. If there is any DRMed media, most major services, including Google Play videos and books, can be accessed on iOS just fine, so in most major scenarios, one would lose access to nothing, whether they were to migrate to Windows or iOS.

Also, since people mentioned it, yes you can upgrade to 10 Home for free, but do some research between pro and home, especially if encryption and security matters to you.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I won't be using it as a laptop for the majority of the time, and not interested in the ipad or being locked into another echosystem.

If you intend to use it as a tablet then you shouldn't be looking at a surface. Period. Windows sucks as a tablet. There is no getting around that.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Go isn't terrible, but it's a very bad deal stock, even comfortably equipped unless you really find a good discount.

I also don't get the locked ecosystem thing against iPad. OP doesn't have one, but has an android tablet. If there is any DRMed media, most major services, including Google Play videos and books, can be accessed on iOS just fine, so in most major scenarios, one would lose access to nothing, whether they were to migrate to Windows or iOS.

Also, since people mentioned it, yes you can upgrade to 10 Home for free, but do some research between pro and home, especially if encryption and security matters to you.

Slayven isn't asking any of you to justify his choice, he's asking those that own the device to give their opinion. The rest of you ganboys trying to get him to make a different choice need to chill out. I sear this happens in every thread like this and it's annoying.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven isn't asking any of you to justify his choice, he's asking those that own the device to give their opinion. The rest of you ganboys trying to get him to make a different choice need to chill out. I sear this happens in every thread like this and it's annoying.

I have multiple surface devices and created the surface OT.

Getting an iPad is the right way to go here.

Meanwhile your post doesn't help this thread at all other to complain.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah it sucks when people with working knowledge of the subject matter make recommendations based on that knowledge. Such a jerk move.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Def. go for it. If you can, and find it on sale, go one model up but the base one is fine. Highly recommended you install Pro tho. Home ain't the worst choice either but Pro is pretty much the full Windows OS. (Enterprise too, of course.)

I do Pro in all of my personal devices and clients' devices because of bloatware. I'm not sure if Go has bloat but I'm betting it does in some sense. If you're not a tinkerer at all, then you should be happy either way.

Windows is the way to go for freedom, choice, etc. One day...Linux will be there, too. One day lol

Edit* Also, my only gripe with those devices is user-repairability. Aka, there is nearly none.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Its a nice little device. I went for the higher specced GO, since it made more sense. Performs well on all the things I use it for but then its only normal PC stuff and some super light gaming (Got a 1X for that). Battery life is pretty good overall.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Loving mine (8GB/128GB). Had to take it out of S mode to install stuff, but otherwise great.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
I bought an old Surface pro 3 (they are cheap for entry level buy) and I have never looked back. I would never like to use Android OS for a tablet again.

I'm also a believer that these tablet PCs are overtaking regular laptops for most light/medium uses. I even sold my heavy duty laptop now just use a surface and desktop PC.