• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am so sick of making this every week.... it's not enough to live off of. My dad who is my boss says "Show me some enthusiasm!" and I'm like "You've got to be kidding." I'm largely left the job because I am so sick of the shitty pay... but I don't know why people still think 20,000 a year is a livable salary for people.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Whataboutism
It's like $2 per day for banana farmers in Philippines.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am so sick of making this every week.... it's not enough to live off of. My dad who is my boss says "Show me some enthusiasm!" and I'm like "You've got to be kidding." I'm largely left the job because I am so sick of the shitty pay... but I don't know why people still think 20,000 a year is a livable salary for people.
Honestly anything lower than 40k isn't very feasible for most states. It sucks that our country is too subservient to corporations to force them to actually pay workers a livable wage. Fuck "at-will" employment.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I agree. Wages should be going up without needing laws to allow it to happen.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I dunno, isn't it? I mean a lot of people think that living wage means "able to buy everything I want" but if we're talking just like rent and food yeah I think you could.

Oct 30, 2017
It's certainly not a livable salary.

I'm not sure what your living situation is like or your age/experience.
Find something else. Or speak with your dad/boss and work out a very specific plan for advancement.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
America has a really large income distribution issue. The whole system is disgusting and yet it is prized by so many greedy bastards.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I agree. Minimum wage needs to be $15 at the low end. Everyone would benefit because jobs that pay more than minimum wage will go up, even if eventually. I'm a bit above that, my wife and I, and it's still difficult to afford a house, bills, healthcare, etc and we don't even have kids. $15 is just the low end and should be basic living wage and that should go up regularly

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
We know it's not a livable wage.

We don't have the means to increase it. Too many conservative assholes blocking the way because they believe only in the abject suffering of their neighbors.

Retrocide

Oct 28, 2017
They don't care, how else can you explain saying that $11.50 an hour is a livable wage but making $400,000 year is somehow barely scraping by.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Hell 15 is barely enough these days. I don't understand why people aren't outraged over how fucked minimum wage is.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
im actually doing decent, i dont have a car, kids, or student loans though

also i get poverty healthcare from state and renters assistance

i also only work part time

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Shit man, I make $17.50/hr and I'm still feeling squeezed.

A lot needs to change in this country. $15/hr working 40 hours at McDonald's should be the bottom.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It all goes back to jealousy. People should be getting paid a living wage for doing any sort of work.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
$11.50 x 40 x 4 = $1,840 before taxes. Let's just call it a flat 15% taken out. Leaves a person with $1,564 per month assuming they have no expenses whatsoever. Rent and utilities alone will destroy that. This also assumes that the worker will be given 40 hours per week guaranteed (lol no). It's an insultingly low wage rate.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I dunno, isn't it? I mean a lot of people think that living wage means "able to buy everything I want" but if we're talking just like rent and food yeah I think you could.

I don't think anyone disputes that you can TECHNICALLY do it. It's most likely why it's still the minimum wage. It'S because in the reality of life, you won't be able to make it. Mistakes happen, unforeseen things happen, accidents happen, l ife happens. Especially when you live in a country like the US where you can literally go bankrupt if you break your finger.

Not anyone thinks living wage means being able to buy everything you want.

Oct 27, 2017
Shoulda spent some of that fortune on bootstraps.
/s

I spent several years in service hell, most were at a level of being trained and doing everything the manager did, so they could take more vacation/do stuff for their family. I never made more than 8 dollars an hour in any of those jobs. One I worked at for 5 years, one I worked at for 3.

If you can't afford to pay your employees a livable wage you don't get employees.

You can work 4 full time jobs and not be able to care for a family of 4. Never progress. The jobs should not exist. Its inhumane and it creates a second class of citizen.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe in bumfuck the middle of nowhere but the problem is barely anyone will pay even 11.50 even in the middle of nowhere.

Also most retail/hospitality companies completely fuck people over by giving them just under full time hours so they don't have to provide any benefits.

That's why a lot of people work 3 shitty jobs 60 hours a week to get by.

So nah your post is full of shit.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

insurance, phone bill, internet, perhaps some sort of streaming service subscription, student loan payments, car payments, the cost of commuting (if you live in a city with decent infrastructure/public transit)...etc

Oct 27, 2017
Hell 15 is barely enough these days. I don't understand why people aren't outraged over how fucked minimum wage is.
Cuz theres always someone in a worse position who's willing to step in and do it.

If any serious change were to ever come around providing people with livable wages, it would have happened when Covid hit.

Essential workers that weren't in the medical field getting paid chump change and not even able to get hazard pay is the straw that should've broke the camels back but didn't

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
$11.50 is something that a teenager working a summer job should make. Not an adult trying to survive.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
i make 17 an hour and i barely scrape by with the bare minimum usually.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
insurance, phone bill, internet, perhaps some sort of streaming service subscription, car payments, the cost of commuting (if you live in a city with decent infrastructure)...etc

No you see, when you're on the minimum wage the only thing you should do is work and walk back home, eat rice or cheap pasta and go to bed.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah it's insane. It seems like no one fucking questioned raising minimum wages because it was expected and then boom, we have gone over 10 years without a raise in the minimum. People are out there getting payed 7.25 an hour and I'm not far from the amount myself and now people have the audacity to say they should just find a better job or get a degree. It's horrible.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The fact Covid handouts were often larger than most folks in the most vulnerable jobs were making especially highlights we don't make enough lol

The government thinks we need more than we earn! Whaaaaaaaaagh

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
We know. Most of us here are not the ones blocking the way for a higher minimum wage.

Capital is always going to oppose it and capital has managed to convince a wide swath of Americans that they and their neighbors shouldn't get paid more.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember that there are folks who will say that not all jobs are going to provide you a "living wage." If you're a doing a repetitive tasked or labor based job like a cashier, or newspaper delivery, or farm hand, they are considered "entry level" jobs, which pays you for your work, but not enough for you to be self-sustaining. These are jobs that are supposed to be for extra money, or young folks who still live with their guardian.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
14.25 in Ontario, and that's not a livable wage.

Minimum wage should be 2% a Cities average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You have to remember that there are folks who will say that not all jobs are going to provide you a "living wage." If you're a doing a repetitive tasked or labor based job like a cashier, or newspaper delivery, or farm hand, they are considered "entry level" jobs, which pays you for your work, but not enough for you to be self-sustaining. These are jobs that are supposed to be for extra money, or young folks who still live with their guardian.
Yea....republicans say that.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Well it's a good thing no one has to worry about things like surprise medical expenses, savings, or the laughable thought of maybe retiring one day.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I made 11.50 at an old job. i worked between 34 and 38 hours a week. In order to pay rent I used to have days where i wouldn't eat or would only eat 1 meal to make my food money last for two weeks until my next paycheck. I lived paycheck to paycheck. It fucking sucked.