• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
I felt more when Sniper Wolf shot Meryl, because she was in torment and you just left the scene for a long period of time. As a kid I really felt like I let her down and I thought she was dead for sure.

Oct 26, 2017
Silent Hill, Lisa's final realisation. That one messed me up. They achieved so much with so little.
On the other hand, MGS was so ham-fisted and melodramatic, even as a teen it did nothing for me.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That isn't the ending to Klonoa

giphy.gif

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
A lot of good ones in this thread. I don't have a preference for saddest death though OP is up there... Lulu's death in Suikoden 3 was pretty emotional because he was like your little bother.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Suikoden II felt too sloppy for me to take its attempts at an emotional story seriously. (I didn't buy the conflict between the rivals, the child character that was trotted out to make "Joey" (?) feel bad, just felt weak to me). I wish my experience with the game had been a different one.

I'm sure there are better emotional gut punches from the era than Aerith and Vivi, but I can't recall any right now.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
FF Tactics
Death of Delita

Vagrant Story
Death of Sidney Losstarot

Both made me cry.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought that moment was when you realised the toothpick method of playing pirated PS1 games had effectively destroyed the cd drive of the systems and you had to buy a new playstation.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Nah. That time in Gran Turismo 2 when I was 0,01sec too slow for that hard ass licence was the most dramatic and heart breaking moment on PS1. No contest.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Well what I meant was "Mami's sacrifice" makes it seem like Mami's was doing it deliberately to help Fou-Lu, like the sentence "The hero sacrificed his life to save his wife," for example, haha.

Anyways, that scene was intense. What a massive gut punch.

I should have worded differently to imply she did not self sacrifice

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO the Sniper Wolf scene is much better directed and that song just squeezes the tears out of your eyes

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Tietra taking an bolt to the chest via Argath , and Ramza brother sucks too. no fancy stuff, just an asshole being an asshole.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting choice. I always found that scene a little weird just because of the context of it. Why Liquid Snake allows Gray Fox to deliver this big speech never made much sense to me and then once Liquid determines that he's done he squishes him like a bug which I thought was kind of funny. However this scene becomes absolutely hilarious/incredible in Twin Snakes:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Chrono Cross is like tragedy the game.

Everyone's saying Suikoden II, but this Suikoden III moment was heartbreaking the first time it happened, and is more tragic once you understand the backstory.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Lisa's final moments can be the most heartbreaking on my PS1 memories, after the Bad ending of SIlent Hill.

gifs-animados-silent-hill-6859616.gif

Cybil is dead because you didn't have the cure for the parasite and you have to kill her and Cheryl is gone forever.

hqdefault.jpg