• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
ps5OlHM.jpg

God, I loved this game, and outside of a small community back when the game was new, I never hear anyone speak of it. I really wish I had a modern way of playing this outside of pulling out my PS2 or using my ripped copy on my PC.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The Darkness.

Nobody cares, and i believe it's one of the best games of my life. The story, the soundtrack, the writting, the acting, everything is wonderful wrapped in very common and usual graphics and gameplay.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Mega-lo-Mania, an RTS that I never ever see discussed outside of, occasionally, in the Amiga and Mega Drive circles.

It hasn't aged fantastically, but I feel like the core concept could be expanded into a much fuller game. I still sometimes play through it completely in one sitting, though.
Really quickly makes you hate Nukes, though.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
E.V.O. Search for Eden (SNES) and Shadowgate Trials of the 4 towers (N64) are two games I absolutely adore but very rarely see them mentioned anywhere.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Sega_Soccer_Slam_Coverart.png

SEGA Soccer Slam

I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about this game online. I have no idea why I had it but it was a bunch of fun.

Efreeti

Banned
Jul 5, 2019

Bolo was great, most fun I've had in multiplayer ever. One of those simpel yet challenging masterpieces.

Heroes of Might & Magic III

Really good hybrid TBS/RPG game that people just no longer seem to care about as a franchise. And even at release it certainly sounds like it was overlooked... which isn't surprising when were the boxes for the game and expansions:

Homm3boxart.jpg
Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_III_-_Armageddon%27s_Blade_Coverart.png
HoMM3_Shadow_of_Death_box_art.jpg

To this day, meeting anyone who's either heard or actually played the games in the series feels like spotting a unicorn.

I lost an entire year of college because of being addicted to Heroes II, and loved III even more :) I'd buy a remake / refresh in a heartbeat. They made some sequels but they didn't work out, early 3D on crappy PC's made every turn a slog to play through.

Aside from those, some very-old oldies:
Powermonger, an ill-fated bullfrog game that looked really interesting but I was never sure what I was doing.

Knights of Legend, an early rpg that was also on the Commodore 64, pretty detailed for its time.

Chaos Overlords, a fun city takeover game. Decent game and nice soundtrack and sound effects.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
No one seems to remember Spartan Total Warrior, but that's fine. Its only sin was to come out the same year God of War did.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Mega-lo-Mania, an RTS that I never ever see discussed outside of, occasionally, in the Amiga and Mega Drive circles.

It hasn't aged fantastically, but I feel like the core concept could be expanded into a much fuller game. I still sometimes play through it completely in one sitting, though.
Really quickly makes you hate Nukes, though.
This came out in the US as "Tyrants", and likewise I still think about it occasionally.
It is frustrating how your starting position can make you lose based on the resources you get (and the computer players pick their positions so quickly you often have few options). It's a fun game, though, and I like the "epoch" system where you prioritize how many of your people to use on each island.

If it were a little slower paced (I know, ironic in a game where you can determine the game speed) in that you have time to react to invasions, I'd have more fun with it. It was pretty rare that I got to the point where nukes were even an option.

Though I'll avoid posting pictures, I miss some of the weird Koei simulation games from the late NES/early SNES and Genesis era. Aerobiz Supersonic has already been mentioned, but they also created:
Gemfire, a weird fantasy take on a pseudo-English civil war that got a Japan-only sequel
Liberty or Death, an entirely too complicated lopsided American Revolution strategy game,
Uncharted Waters (and its sequel), an Age of Discovery open strategy/exploration game
Genghis Khan II, a late middle ages strategy game that had no business having weird heir-raising mechanics and the more I read about what was cut out from the romance system the weirder it is
Inindo, a Sengoku-era ninja JRPG with ongoing strategy "minigame" constantly running in the background (you can offer your services to various lords who are fighting Nobunaga and participate in wars, also there are other "free agents" running around that can join you or will challenge you to duels)

I'm pretty sure there are a few more I'm not even thinking of. I think P.T.O. was theirs too and it seemed even more complicated than most of these.

They made a ton of weird, mechanically deep games and I'm surprised they are somehow still afloat after all that (yes, I know the answer is probably Dynasty Warriors and the Tecmo merger).

Last edited:

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
To those that mentioned E.V.O.: Search for Eden, I got recommended this long-form video going over it from beginning to end. It's a good watch if you have an hour and a half to kill.

To contribute:

Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg

Typically gets brought up in reference to Sucker Punch's earlier games, but a solid platform in its own right. I'd go so far to put it up there with the greats like Mario 64 and Banjo. Each level was unique and had its own vehicle you could unlock. One level has you create a roller coaster a la Roller Coaster Tycoon in order to get one of the macguffins. Had surprisingly good physics for an N64 game and the music was super catchy. It's too bad it never gained any notoriety like others in its genre, because I would have loved a sequel.

Swimble_87

Oct 27, 2017
A couple from different eras for me:

Zool
- my older brother had this before I was old enough to have a real interest / awareness of my own in gaming and I remember thinking Zool was a very cool looking character, and also the candy themed levels are just entrenched in my brain. I had a lot of enthusiasm for this game but I'm pretty sure i sucked at it.

Future Cop LAPD
- specifically for the multiplayer - either against sky captain, who I also thought was a badass villain, or with a friend on split screen - used to have a great time with the insect themed level. The music for that level just pops into my head now and again all these years later.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Mighty Bomb Jack

Two games that I think of that I have heard people talk about: Flicky and Solomon's Key

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I need someone to acknowledge the existence of kya on the ps2. Such a fun zelda like that unfortunately ended on a cliffhanger...

Edit: actually less zelda and more jak&daxter and ratchet like. Would post pictures but I'm on mobile

Last edited:

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
Tenchu 3: Wrath of Heaven is probably my favorite game of the ps2 era, and it kills me that later games in the series basically ignored everything that made this game great. Tenchu 3 had an excellent stealth system, complimented by a broad ninja toolkit (ninja grappling hook, poison rice balls, caltrops, etc) . Levels were open with many paths to objectives. The story also had multiple playable characters, and multiple endings. Get this: the game also had this wild pvpve multiplayer mode. While there is a lot of Tenchu dna in sekiro and nioh, I'll always hold out how for a remaster or sequel (neither will ever happen, sniff)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
So many cool games mentioned in this thread 🙂

You know what I love about these threads? I often find old games I'd forgotten about, and go buy and play them. I found two in this one.

It's a bummer when someone mentions one that's become super expensive, though. It'll be even more of a bummer when people start mentioning PS3 download-only games, or WiiWare games, though. :(

As for me, I'm a sucker for tilt maze games. Everybody knows Monkey Ball, and rightly so, but just about every other entry in the genre gets ignored. The Kororinpa Marble games on Wii, Marble Blast Ultra on 360, Arthur MacLean's Mercury on PSP.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
You know what I love about these threads? I often find old games I'd forgotten about, and go buy and play them. I found two in this one.

It's a bummer when someone mentions one that's become super expensive, though. It'll be even more of a bummer when people start mentioning PS3 download-only games, or WiiWare games, though. :(

As for me, I'm a sucker for tilt maze games. Everybody knows Monkey Ball, and rightly so, but just about every other entry in the genre gets ignored. The Kororinpa Marble games on Wii, Marble Blast Ultra on 360, Arthur MacLean's Mercury on PSP.
Same, people have shared some classic gems in this thread already. And it can't just be a mere coincidence that right below your post is a game I had trouble remembering. I've got goosebumps.

Yeah, it's a shame we've lost access to so many classics but at-least I can take comfort in the fact that I just don't have the time anymore. It's either my current backlog or games from a different era.

I have never paid much attention to marble games, so yeah, I don't know any of the titles you've mentioned.
What a share. This is one of those games you faintly remember, but names you don't.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Top Spin 2 mixed doubles online. You and your partner on the couch squaring off against two other people in those early 360 days. Wild stuff.

Along those same lines, people talk about that first Riddick game on XBOX/PC and rightfully so, but that 360 remaster that had the Dark Athena campaign, which kind of sucked, also had a multiplayer suite. Most of it was garbage, but there was a mode called Pitch Black mode where it was a bunch of marines in the dark with flashlights, but I think it was Doom 3 rules where you can't use your flashlight and your gun at the same time. One is person is Riddick and they can see in the dark, but they have to sneak behind you and strangle you. So you have a bunch of marines with flashlights popping off and you kind of see Riddick scurry by before the light goes off. And then obviously if you kill Riddick you become Riddick. It was Riddick-culous fun and I'm really sad more people never got to experience that game with a full public lobby because it was fucking hilarious.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

To me, Shadow of Destiny will always be "the very first game I ever saw where one character handed something to another character properly".

Before that, characters would just pretend to hand something they weren't actually holding - like Barry handing Jill the non-existent lockpick in Resident Evil. While describing what they were supposedly giving, of course.

I don't remember who handed what to whom, but I do remember that it was an actual, rendered object that changed hands. And it wasn't fused to one character model, and then the other, after a camera switch - another trick I'd seen. It was done on camera. First time ever. It blew my mind. LOL.