• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm getting soft lately. The dark themes and gore ultimately pushed me away from TLOU2

Same reason I'm not interested in Invincible. Just ununcomfortable with realistic gore and suffering these days.
It might be different in other counties but America is such a violent country that I don't find this kind of thing fun anymore. For me its a turnoff and I am starting to get into the camp of extreme violence in games and movies definitely has a negative effect on our society.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might be different in other counties but America is such a violent country that I don't find this kind of thing fun anymore. For me its a turnoff and I am starting to get into the camp of extreme violence in games and movies definitely has a negative effect on our society.
Maybe. It's weird like Mortal Kombat doesn't bother me. Maybe because it's so extreme and fast? I don't like seeing someone realistically lose a limb then cry in suffering as they realistically die horribly I guess.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. It's weird like Mortal Kombat doesn't bother me. Maybe because it's so extreme and fast? I don't like seeing someone realistically lose a limb then cry in suffering as they realistically die horribly I guess.
Yeah thats the same for me because its pretty nonsensical where this is trying to be way more realistic, almost like a murder simulator. Though if you wanted to you can level a similar complaint against modern MK games.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Dehumanizing media which trivializes human suffering or human worth (both violent and sexually exploitative media) undoubtedly does have a real negative effect that's hard to quantify. You're more ok with Mortal Kombat because its basically B movie shlock and I get that, but the developers still ended up with serious issues from researching real gore.
TLOU2 was an effective game for me partly because of how off-putting the violence is, but having videos that are basically gore compilations kind of weirds me out and the idea of being desensitized to becoming unaffected by realistic depictions of humans being mutilated seems like something you can't really undo.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Great video, absolutely brutal. This game is a masterpiece, and untouchable in the combat department and encounter design. Just an absolute joy to play.

After my plat runs my wife made me play the entire game for her to watch like a 15 hour movie. We are horror movie vets and she has never been that nervous or scared while watching an actual film lol.

maclunky

Apr 11, 2021
I get what you are saying, but I don't know. I've also watched thousands of hours of real life gore, killings/murder etc. It's definitely closer, but enemies still react very "cinematic" to me. Especially their reactions to damage and the way they go down when the body is done.

Why would you even say this? Comments like these don't belong on a video game website. Really twisted and disturbing to advertise that information about yourself.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Great video, absolutely brutal. This game is a masterpiece, and untouchable in the combat department and encounter design. Just an absolute joy to play.

After my plat runs my wife made me play the entire game for her to watch like a 15 hour movie. We are horror movie vets and she has never been that nervous or scared while watching an actual film lol.

Absolutely amazing storytelling. This is such a special and important game.

I'm also a huge horror movie enthusiast, and this game was a totally unique experience.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
There are quite a few websites freely accessible in the internet. Obviously won't name them here in the open.
Thousands of hours is a lot. Like, an absurd amount. Watching thousands of hours of murder signals more than boredom. That's well past obsession territory.

Last edited:

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I get what you are saying, but I don't know. I've also watched thousands of hours of real life gore, killings/murder etc. It's definitely closer, but enemies still react very "cinematic" to me. Especially their reactions to damage and the way they go down when the body is done.
If this is true you have some real problems.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The more impressive thing to me about that video is that I can remember every single location and encounter shown on the video lmao

Good, I still think randomly about that game every now and then

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I was entertained.

Could you imagine a Battle Royal mode in this game?
It could be fun for a distraction from the real competition, but the beauty of factions lies in setting up an entire room as a trap with half or all of your team inside. Nothing better than watching your prey slowly get too curious to stay away and then butchering the entire squad lol.

Same with stealthing through a building and coming up behind a squad with a Molotov and a shotgun.

Maybe I just don't like battle royale that much because the best strat is often to stay out of fire fights until the crowd is whittled down. I need that anxiety of letting my team down to really get aggressive about protecting our turf.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Why would you even say this? Comments like these don't belong on a video game website. Really twisted and disturbing to advertise that information about yourself.

Well, the other user compared real life stuff with the violence displayed in the game. And I just added my view and experience.

Thousands of hours is a lot. Like, an absurd amount. Watching thousands of hours of murder signals more than boredom.
Yeah, there was a time when my morbid curiosity was pretty obsessive. Especially in my early 20s.
And not just thousands of hours of murder. There's also accidents, autopsies etc.

If this is true you have some real problems.
I really would like to know what you think my problems are.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I don't remember this level of gore in the game?? Was the Japanese version censored of the gore aswell!?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I love the graphical violence & gore.

Though this is not probably the "most brutal" Part II video, as most/all of them were the same brutality, lol.

But gotta say the headshots after them died feels pointless in this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah thats the same for me because its pretty nonsensical where this is trying to be way more realistic, almost like a murder simulator. Though if you wanted to you can level a similar complaint against modern MK games.
There was something about Mortal Kombat developers becoming psychologically impacted by looking at real life gore for references, right?

www.resetera.com

[Kotaku] 'I'd Have These Extremely Graphic Dreams': What It's Like To Work On Ultra-Violent Games Like Mortal Kombat 11

I don't personally play these games and I know violence in games can be a sensitive subject with many but this is pretty serious. Damaging prolonged effects and all that. Article: https://kotaku.com/id-have-these-extremely-graphic-dreams-what-its-like-t-1834611691 Get over here if old.

Oh yeah they got PTSD. Wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog developers also experienced similar symptoms.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was something about Mortal Kombat developers becoming psychologically impacted by looking at real life gore for references, right?

www.resetera.com

[Kotaku] 'I'd Have These Extremely Graphic Dreams': What It's Like To Work On Ultra-Violent Games Like Mortal Kombat 11

I don't personally play these games and I know violence in games can be a sensitive subject with many but this is pretty serious. Damaging prolonged effects and all that. Article: https://kotaku.com/id-have-these-extremely-graphic-dreams-what-its-like-t-1834611691 Get over here if old.

Oh yeah they got PTSD. Wouldn't be surprised if Naughty Dog developers also experienced similar symptoms.
Yeah, not a fan of the realistic direction MK is taking either but it doesn't effect me as much for some reason.

Maybe because it's so outlandish / not grounded in reality?

The Japanese version heavily censored the violence in this game.

I watched a VTuber play Until Dawn and it's so censored it almost ruins the point.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the other user compared real life stuff with the violence displayed in the game. And I just added my view and experience.

Yeah, there was a time when my morbid curiosity was pretty obsessive. Especially in my early 20s.
And not just thousands of hours of murder. There's also accidents, autopsies etc.

I really would like to know what you think my problems are.
Maybe you should talk to a therapist about being addicted to watching videos of people being killed. They might be able to help you find out if that is healthy for you.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
The Japanese version heavily censored the violence in this game.

Wow.. that's a really heavy censorship.

TLOU 2 is a game that embraces this kind of graphical violence.. the game is a masterpiece and all the hate only confirmed how important this game is.

We won't see anything more advanced until the next God of War or maybe Horizon FW.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not a fan of the realistic direction MK is taking either but it doesn't effect me as much for some reason.

Maybe because it's so outlandish / not grounded in reality?
I think it's because despite it's realistic direction, it's hyper stylized and over the top so it takes a lot of the seriousness off of it.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. that's a really heavy censorship.

TLOU 2 is a game that embraces this kind of graphical violence.. the game is a masterpiece and all the hate only confirmed how important this game is.

We won't see anything more advanced until the next God of War or maybe Horizon FW.
Why does realistic gore make TLOU2 important?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Maybe you should talk to a therapist about being addicted to watching videos of people being killed. They might be able to help you find out if that is healthy for you.

Uh, I actually did that. I'm in therapy for diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. That's where I learned about the term morbid curiosity (which many people have to some degree).
And no, watching that amount is not healthy. That's why I stopped being that obsessive a few years ago. Still watching from time to time, though.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Why does realistic gore make TLOU2 important?
That's not what I meant.. read my post again.

Did you even notice all the hate before launch?

This game was a huge deal because of many subjects that some haters tried to use against it before launch but clearly they failed. This game has the highest number of GOTY awards to date.

Also this game is ahead of anything we have seen before on the technical department.. maybe RDR2 is a close second imo.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Manhunt is still worse violence wise its just extremely dated these days.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I've never ejected from a thread so fast!

Probably the scariest sentence I've ever read on this site

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's this year. I've probably 100 hours in the first one.

Yup, I captured this from my last play-through:

The mix of sound and animation is so brutal.

I must be messed up, because the agonized voicework almost felt comical and over the top to me lmao

edit:
...and just like that, I feel a lot better about where I'm at because this is stone-cold horrifying

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. The most disturbing thing I've read on this site. I come on here to relax but now I have awful thoughts racing through my mind…

Just really shocking to freely advertise the "thousands of hours" line, with not a second thought that it sounds alarming and disturbing.

Watching death, viewing gore, etc, I understand having some natural morbid curiosity on RARE occasion.

I personally can't handle videos of murder, such as beheadings and such. Shit fucks me up and gives me immediate existential dread and fear for my loved ones and shit.

MoonDesigner

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring Drive-By; Prior Bans for the Same
Sensitive about the microsoft review of the game?

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, I've never ejected from a thread so fast!

Probably the scariest sentence I've ever read on this site
Well, lot of developers at Netherrealm were also told to watch hours and hours of gore stuff to recreate MK fatalities. I'm not sure if the poster is a NR developer (or just into snuff), but yeah it has a precedence in our industry.

Edit: nvm, read the follow up post about therapy.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Well, lot of developers at Netherrealm were also told to watch hours and hours of gore stuff to recreate MK fatalities. I'm not sure if the poster is a NR developer (or just into snuff), but yeah it has a precedence in our industry.
I've read this story quite a few times, regarding Mortal Kombat. I'm not really sure why the developers were required to do this for a game like Mortal Kombat. You'd think basic anatomy diagrams would be sufficient, Mortal Kombat never really struck me as a game with realistic violence, more shocking than anything. Seems like everything that was done in MK11, such as bodies being cut clean in half to display organs, holes in the chest where the heart dangles, so forth. All of this could have been achieved without viewing actual real life gore.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I looked at your profile to quickly see all your responses and… wow. Thousands of hours of gore, unemployed for 14 years, need drugs to function during the daytime… this random internet scarecrow suggests you get some help.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I looked at your profile to quickly see all your responses and… wow. Thousands of hours of gore, unemployed for 14 years, need drugs to function during the daytime… this random internet scarecrow suggests you get some help.

Come on, lol. You just can't pick those things out of context. I appreciate your concern, but I'm actually really pretty fine (aside from the generalized anxiety disorder).

Oct 26, 2017
iu

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Uh, I actually did that. I'm in therapy for diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. That's where I learned about the term morbid curiosity (which many people have to some degree).
And no, watching that amount is not healthy. That's why I stopped being that obsessive a few years ago. Still watching from time to time, though.
Glad to hear the obsession has reduced. Out of curiosity, have you watched Benny's Video?