• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

Peter Molyneux walks us through his entire career, from Populous, to Black & White, to Fable.
So it turned out Peter didn't own the vast majority of these games himself, which is bonkers! We left the collection with him (apart from the Amiga, thank you very much) and Peter said he'll be making a donation to the UK homelessness charity Shelter as a way of saying thank you to People Make Games.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I really like this man and his games. One of my GOAT's, and I consider one of the best visionaries of this industry.

Still sad about BC though :'(

(Far Cry: Primal scratched that itch, but no Dinos made me sad again)

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'll always be grateful for him helping create one of my favorite games, Dungeon Keeper.
Such a unique concept with so much personality, and best of all it was a very well made and fun to play game!
Theme Park and Theme Hospital were also good ones.

Still sad about BC though :'(
Actually I'm pretty sure BC was Sid Meier ;)

Last edited:

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I used to put Bullfrog on the pedestal right up there next to Nintendo when I was a kid. Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Dungeon Keeper. 😭
What an insane batting average for Molyneux'company, and what a cruel fate for my former favorite developer.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
That was a good watch. His questionable salesmanship methods aside, I always loved and admired his passion and he had a significant hand in making many of my favourite games of all time, so PM will always be alright with me.

Also, somebody needs to get the Black & White games and The Movies on GOG & Steam asap.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
He's so up his own arsehole sure, but he's made some fantastic games. Fable 1 will always be in my top 5 games of all time and I hope Xbox have some in store for the future of the series.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Really good video, right up until the 22Cans glossover. Where were the questions on his output since then...
where were the question on his talking to the media again after that promise. The one where he told different media outlets that theirs was the last interview.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet but People Make Games is a great channel. Chris Bratt deserves more for the work he does

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
He's so up his own arsehole sure, but he's made some fantastic games. Fable 1 will always be in my top 5 games of all time and I hope Xbox have some in store for the future of the series.

I love Fable so much, Molyneux could call me up right now and promise that he was making a new Fable game specifically for me, and I a.) would believe him, and b.) forgive him when it turned out to be untrue.

Todd Howard could learn a lot from this guy.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
"my mistake was to talk to everyone like i was talking to my team" - Peter on talking about hyping up his projects

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It always makes me laugh that my wife is someone who hardly follows actors names etc and simply focuses on the characters and hardly plays games herself yet she know who Peter is because of how disappointed she was with Fable 3. She loved 1 and 2 and after getting shafted with the story progression of three being so messed up that she hadnt saved enough gold for the good ending, she has forever been sad about the franchise since.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Really good video, right up until the 22Cans glossover. Where were the questions on his output since then...
where were the question on his talking to the media again after that promise. The one where he told different media outlets that theirs was the last interview.
But Molyneux did talk about that? He commented that he was stupid by saying that he wouldn't give interviews to the media anymore and that instead he only wants to refrain from hyping up games in development. Not sure what else you want to hear. He also talked about the titles he creates with 22cans and the challenges of appealing to the audience they are targeting.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I will never get over how angry people were at Peter Molyneux.

That Eurogamer interview where the interviewer suggested Molyneux was a compulsive liar was all a bit much.

Fair enough, he over hyped his games and he dropped the ball particularly hard with the making a player a god thing but it seems to come from a place of genuine passion. He is trying new things and I would rather have an industry of people trying outlandish designs and failing than loads of developers playing it safe.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
haha, he blagged his way into the videogame industry. Amazing how ge got his start, wonderful story haha

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People gently joking about Molyneux's over promising and hyperbolic tendencies were kind of funny when they first started, but It's really shitty how that evolved into vitriolic hatred and mean spirited bullying by an awful lot of people when his "infractions" are so minor compared to so many in the games industry and his contributions so great.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I will never get over how angry people were at Peter Molyneux.

That Eurogamer interview where the interviewer suggested Molyneux was a compulsive liar was all a bit much.

Fair enough, he over hyped his games and he dropped the ball particularly hard with the making a player a god thing but it seems to come from a place of genuine passion. He is trying new things and I would rather have an industry of people trying outlandish designs and failing than loads of developers playing it safe.

if you watch the video he acknowledges his past bad behavior and he's in agreement about the reactions of others. he even says his "never going to talk to the media again" was silly on his part.

i still remember the story about him tricking his town mayor with Black and White, where they rigged a scripted demo with an actual hand glove to impress him with some "motion controls".

If thats your operandus modus, its no surprise the world is going to bite back after decades of this kind of lying bullshit.

i say this with utmost respect for the work hes created in the past.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Great video. The games he and his team created shaped my childhood. I wish I could go back in time and relive that era.

Black & White and Fable (as flawed as they were) was to me what BoTW is to a lot of younger gamers.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Finally got around to watching this and loved it. Wonderful history of game design and it's really fun to hear some of these stories.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its crazy how much his studios played a huge part in what I played when I was younger. My dad was big into Bullfrog so when I became of age to understand how to play these games on his computer I became super into so much of their catalog. B&W blew my young little mind as well, even if it isn't very good.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Fable was one of hte best gaming experiences I had, just getting into videogames, I loved it so much. I was incredibly hyped for fable 2 and all t he possibilities, but thats where he lost me. Dont believe his lies indeed.

I wil always be grateful for fable 1 tho.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the length of the video if they showed him all of the promised content that DIDN'T make it into his games.

Yes, I'm still irritated with PM's bullshit over the years.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
People gently joking about Molyneux's over promising and hyperbolic tendencies were kind of funny when they first started, but It's really shitty how that evolved into vitriolic hatred and mean spirited bullying by an awful lot of people when his "infractions" are so minor compared to so many in the games industry and his contributions so great.

Totally agree, he made lots of mistakes but will always be a legend and must be respected by the younger generation for all the great gaming memories he gave us for decades.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This was great, I have so many good memories of some of his games, thank you so much for posting this!

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Totally people need to access themselves for hatred of a person over over promising a video game..... Loved his games when growing up with my Amiga!

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Bullfrog, I miss them. One of my favorite companies. Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Syndicate Wars. And they shared the same fate as Westwood, another company I loved: killed by Electronic Arts.

At least, in a way, that still lets me hold them and Westwood in high regard.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Finally watched it.

It was GREAT really really enjoyed it, glad he understands now why the "internet folk" "turned against him".
And great open talk about the industry his career.

Fantastic job on the video great work! :D