• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1604148998_394d8fbf-91aa-4306-9670-33bf042bedb7.jpg

31 years old in Dr No

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see those articles about styles from the 80s and they start posting high school yearbook pictures, a lot of the guys and girls look like they could be in their 20s. I think it's a lot to do with how you make yourself up regarding makeup and clothing. That, and/or having a rough life, maybe.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Something clicked in a weird way when I realized Tupac and Biggie were in their mid 20s when they died. They seemed so experienced and grown when I was a kid but they were still kids themselves.

phranc

Nov 13, 2017
Sandra Bullack is 58 and her love interest in Lost City is 42. Usually don't see this, this way around. She looks amazing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Something clicked in a weird way when I realized Tupac and Biggie were in their mid 20s when they died. They seemed so experienced and grown when I was a kid but they were still kids themselves.

kurt cobain, jimi hendrix, ect... they were all grown up kids essentially and its pretty nuts

sadder that "kids" are dying even younger now (pop smoke, juice wrld, lil' peep and all those dudes)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MPB characters being allowed on TV + popularity of moustaches in the 60s/70s/80s + smoking + more sun exposure + more drinking probably + fitness/gym explosion of the 80s/90s put more pressure on men to look a certain way post 1985 lets say + less jobs being hard labor would be some of my guesses.

Although who knows. My father also looked a lot more mature at the same age I am now.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
it's pretty obvious this is about the willingness to put bald men on TV lmao

i mean, a couple of these pairings actually have a woman who looks her age or arguably younger, next to a balding man who is much younger.

There's a case to be made that hairstyles, mustaches, and smoking all contributed to people looking more weathered on average than today, but these examples don't sell it particularly well!

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Half of these are also just clothes/hairstyle/facial hair etc. If you cosplayed as your parents people would suddenly think you were 10 years older too.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
MPB characters being allowed on TV + popularity of moustaches in the 60s/70s/80s + smoking + more sun exposure + more drinking probably + fitness/gym explosion of the 80s/90s put more pressure on men to look a certain way post 1985 lets say + less jobs being hard labor would be some of my guesses.

Although who knows. My father also looked a lot more mature at the same age I am now.
I don't think it's 100% outside sun exposure; my dad is a retired firefighter and looks 10 years older than what he actually is. And we live in the desert.

He never smoked though, so I'm sure that plays a part. Skin care in general probably plays a big part though.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Smoking and being in the sun without lotion are the big 2 IMO. My mom talks about when she was a teen, girls would spend two hours ever day laying out with just baby oil or vegetable oil for covering. And the heavy smokers I know look years older than you'd expect.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Smoking sun and alcohol. Every person my age that is looking old has abused one or all of the above.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll look older than some generations later on due to stress

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The cast of Sex and the City 2022 (Just LIke That i think its called?) is actually older than the first season cast of golden girls

medical concerns (smoking, alcohol, etc) and surgery are a factor but also post 1990 people just try to look younger once you are past 30, plus fashion doesn't really change as much nowadays whereas before every decade really set HARD changes. 60s were hippies, 70s was disco, 80s was Gordon Gekko, 90s was colored hair and internet style (miami vice colors), but sometime in the 2000s it all started getting a bit more uniform.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure somebody has pointed it out already, but this has less to do with them looking "older" and more with style, and these older actors being associated with very specific styles of their time that younger generations will naturally associate with "old."

For example, its been commented before that the Golden Girls, for how old they look to us, were actually styled to be very contemporary for women their age at the time (especially Blanche). This is exactly how the cast of And Just Like That are being styled today -- but they look more contemporary to us because the styles are of our tastes.

It's the story behind how high-waist jeans became known as "mom jeans." What was considered a very trendy and figure exploiting style for girls growing up in the 80s became known as "mom jeans" to the children those trendy girls would eventually grow up and have. (Funny how "mom jeans" are in the middle of a renaissance with Gen Z...only they're not being called that.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand why you're posting this pic, what am I looking at ---
This one always blows my mind. Rudd right now is older (53) than Brimley was in Cocoon (50)
.............................WAT

The cast of Sex and the City 2022 (Just LIke That i think its called?) is actually older than the first season cast of golden girls

medical concerns (smoking, alcohol, etc) and surgery are a factor but also post 1990 people just try to look younger once you are past 30, plus fashion doesn't really change as much nowadays whereas before every decade really set HARD changes. 60s were hippies, 70s was disco, 80s was Gordon Gekko, 90s was colored hair and internet style (miami vice colors), but sometime in the 2000s it all started getting a bit more uniform.

Ok wait, are we sure the pic on the left is from the first season? Those ladies look 75, almost 80... not 55. O_o Especially the 2nd from the left!

Apr 2, 2021
My girlfriend watches a shitload of true crime and we always laugh at how old some people look in the old cases. We've seen 16 year olds who straight up look like they are in their mid thirties.

Just the other day had one of these moments too watching Evil Dead. Bruce Campbell looks like a handsome fellow in his early or mid-thirties. He's actually 21.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I remember seeing some camcorder footage of a highschool in the early 90s and everyone in it looked like they were in their twenties despite being teenagers. Which makes sense why 20 something year old were cast in highschool movies a lot. But i also think about what my friends and i looked like in high school and we looked like baby faces compared to 90s teens.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure somebody has pointed it out already, but this has less to do with them looking "older" and more with style, and these older actors being associated with very specific styles of their time that younger generations will naturally associate with "old."

For example, its been commented before that the Golden Girls, for how old they look to us, were actually styled to be very contemporary for women their age at the time (especially Blanche). This is exactly how the cast of And Just Like That are being styled today -- but they look more contemporary to us because the styles are of our tastes.

It's the story behind how high-waist jeans became known as "mom jeans." What was considered a very trendy and figure exploiting style for girls growing up in the 80s became known as "mom jeans" to the children those trendy girls would eventually grow up and have. (Funny how "mom jeans" are in the middle of a renaissance with Gen Z...only they're not being called that.)
Clothing and hair style aside, these people just legitimately look physically older and more weathered.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand we have better medicine and smoke far less today than 50 years ago, but we also have alot worse diets and are more sedentary than ever. I doubt we're aging better outside of anecdotes.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Clothing and hair style aside, these people just legitimately look physically older and more weathered.

There is some truth to this, of course. But we're forgetting the advancement of one particular bit of technology in the years between these photos: Retouching.

And that's no shade! I'm a portrait photography as a side gig. Retouching is not some outrageous thing. That said, I see a fair bit of retouching in a lot of the more recent photos.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My personal theory is that smoking at a young age kick-starting everyone into looking old.

Also bad diets during childhood, lead based paints, unrestricted coal burning…

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend watches a shitload of true crime and we always laugh at how old some people look in the old cases. We've seen 16 year olds who straight up look like they are in their mid thirties.

Just the other day had one of these moments too watching Evil Dead. Bruce Campbell looks like a handsome fellow in his early or mid-thirties. He's actually 21.
Bruce pretty much looks like a teen in the first film. If not for his 6'1" height and amazing chin, it would be more apparent to most I think.

He's aged really well, imo, all things considered.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do think the sheer amount of second hand smoking almost every kids experienced until the 90s contributed. Even if your parents didn't smoke, you were exposed to it in virtually any public place.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There is some truth to this, of course. But we're forgetting the advancement of one particular bit of technology in the years between these photos: Retouching.

And that's no shade! I'm a portrait photography as a side gig. Retouching is not some outrageous thing. That said, I see a fair bit of retouching in a lot of the more recent photos.
Fair point, but that doesn't explain someone looking at pictures of a family member from the 70s and looking at themselves in the mirror and seeing that family member as looking older even though they were physically younger at the time and I don't think it can just be explained away with retouching, plastic surgery, or make up, even though all of those do play a significant role in the current generations of people looking younger than those of decades past.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh if anything that's the case right now. I constantly see teenagers that look like they're in their mid 20's.