• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Look at all these marginalised white people out to protest during a pandemic and defend their existence.

/S

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
American here: what's the inciting incident for these demonstrations?

Is the Cenotaph seen as having some racist element to it? Or are UK racists just arbitrarily defending a statue that was never a part of the conversation?

I couldn't find much online. Thanks!

A few statues of racist slave owners were defaced in the UK. Eventually a Churchill statue's text was painted over with "is a racist" - something which is unequivocally true, but our country basically teaches nothing but "Churchill was a hero!" while glossing over the rather horrific (even for the time) imperialistic views he held of India and other colonized countries.

This ultimately led to a bunch of morons thinking it was an attack on all war-time heroes, the old "these people died so you liberals could protest!" argument even though they were never part of protests. Thus they went to defend monuments that wouldn't have been targeted in the first place.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Is the Cenotaph seen as having some racist element to it? Or are UK racists just arbitrarily defending a statue that was never a part of the conversation?

Some BLM related protestors tried to burn the flags on the monument, it's military related and shouldn't really have been drawn in to it.
You could say British Empire forces are fair game i suppose, but it isn't really what the Cenotaph represents.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

According to these far right boys, a threat was made to the cenotaph. Personally, I think it's a convenient excuse to get them riled up by big time grifters Tommy and co, I don't think anyone actually wanted to target the cenotaph.

I can't think of any reason why a BLM protest would want to harm the cenotaph - in fact, if they did it would really harm their support in this country. It would be a daft thing to do.

There were some BLM protestors trying to burn the union jacks near the cenotaph last week - which probably won't work, as thanks to EU rules flags are fire retardant - but they are idiots for trying.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
This gives me the same feeling as when seeing Right Wing satirical cartoons.

"We can do 'thing' as well."

But when they do 'thing' it just feels like a poor knockoff version with no substance. A 'Dad Joke'.

Oct 27, 2017

You've had some responses here that answer the question accurately.

But an additional point of note is that these are fucking brain dead, ignorant racists. They don't understand the BLM movement and they wouldn't want them to have the equality they're fighting for even if they did. Seeing BLM gather and protest around the Cenotaph and pull down statues of slave traders last week has manifested itself as some sort of warped rallying cry to Britain's bigots to defend statues up and down the country this weekend - whoever they're of.

These are bored and stupid hooligans who have turned up today for no reason other than to fight. They wanted to beat up some brown people, students and "lefty snowflakes", but in the absence of any of them have started scrapping with the police instead.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You've had some responses here that answer the question accurately.

But an additional point of note is that these are fucking brain dead, ignorant racists. They don't understand the BLM movement and they wouldn't want them to have the equality they're fighting for even if they did. Seeing BLM gather and protest around the Cenotaph and pull down statues of slave traders last week has manifested itself as some sort of warped rallying cry to Britain's bigots to defend statues up and down the country this weekend - whoever they're of.

These are bored and stupid hooligans who have turned up today for no reason other than to fight. They wanted to beat up some brown people, students and "lefty snowflakes", but in the absence of any of them have started scrapping with the police instead.
This.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Sky News seem to be reluctant to label the 'counter protesters' as right wing or thugs. Just counter protesters.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Thank ly good thing for this is we have an easy response to anyone complaining about the BLM protestors.

Hundreds of peaceful BLM protestors Vs blatant videos of the right wing starting fights with police because they don't have anyone to fight.

Nov 20, 2018

eipugIu.jpg

OP
OP
Ocarina_117

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I am American, so I had to look up the Cenotaph. It's for WWI. Why would BLM care about it?
They don't, really.

Though it's a bit more nuanced.

The cenotaph is supposed to represent all those who lost their lives in the world wars.

However, black and brown veterans were HORRIFICALLY treated after the war.

Speaking as a British Sikh... 1917 is literally the only acknowledgement I've seen for our contribution to the war effort.

foreignpolicy.com

Britain’s Abandoned Black Soldiers

More than 600,000 Africans fought for Britain in World War II. Now they want a fair deal.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What complete scum.

Don't suppose they'll put this on the news in unwatered glory.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
The right want to make this a culture war issue about the cenotaph because they prefer that to discussing police brutality etc.
Yes. They have no valid arguments and they are trying to change the subject to something they believe has more purchase. The closest equivalent would be folks assembling at the WWII Memorial in DC and saying it represents "all veterans", while ignoring any mention of the gross mistreatment of non-white veterans.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Can you not? This isn't an issue with "Londoners". London is a Labour stronghold. They are racist facist scumbags, nothing more and nothing less.

Aye, it's time to fortify the M25 and declare an independent City state, we gotta dump these loons.
Sorry Manchester and Liverpool, you're too far into the GammonZone to rescue.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people in the video seem to be raising both arms. That's not a variant of the salute, is it?

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Are these guys Chelsea, Arsenal or Tottenham supporters?

All of those teams have black players in their forefront

Drogba and Henry are like their most decorated players in their team histories

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
www.bbc.co.uk

The 10 greatest controversies of Winston Churchill's career

The UK is marking the 50th anniversary of of Winston Churchill's death. Many regard him as the greatest Briton, but for some he remains intensely controversial.

Is it common when highlighting all the despicable things someone has done, for the BBC to include a lame counter-argument in order to seem impartial?

"Churchill stomped on kittens regularly!"
>"Yeah, but some of those cats may have been feral."

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A search on twitter shows lots of these morons claiming a black man slit a 'patriots' throat with a still from a video when it's clearly a punch

The truth won't matter these braindead morons will make it true in their world

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Is it common when highlighting all the despicable things someone has done, for the BBC to include a lame counter-argument in order to seem impartial?

"Churchill stomped on kittens regularly!"
>"Yeah, but some of those cats may have been feral."

BBC have to 'be neutral' but this has meant shit like letting climate skeptics have an equal platform with scientists for the sake of 'debate' when there's no debate to be had. They have a lot to answer for.

And that footage shows they never cared about the protection of heritage, they just want a dust up with minorities or anyone who takes a stand against them.

I've sometimes been asked why I have no pride as an Englishman, people like them is why.