• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Anyone else notice that people are super snarky and rude when discussing/debating things on the internet? Here, on Reddit, Twitter, I just see people saying things in the most sarcastic, annoying ways when a disagreement comes up. Most of the time things aren't phrases nicely, and it doesn't really further the conversation. And it's over shit that doesn't matter a lot of the time. Games, interpretations of stories, etc. And anyways, being rude and dismissive makes people listen to you less.

I get bothered by that. I wish people would be more polite and nicer to each other online. I'm certainly not immune to it, either, but it gets old reading everybody's back and forth venom. Should read a book instead, I guess.

Anyways, I think it's good to keep in mind.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest thing is people stating things super definitively, despite having no evidence or not actually being sure of the claim at all. And yes, are often rude about it. Then later on they're exposed and admit they pulled it out of their ass - just embarrassing.

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed people are so much more on edge than normal, especially in any Star Wars thread where it is totally unprovoked. Like I understand people getting heated about politics, but I've seen more civil discourse in primary threads than TLJ threads.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How else are people going to tell me they disagree with me?

1080x360

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
If it's over shit that doesn't matter and is clearly not warranted that's shitty. But I don't blanket oppose being a rude or snarky in some arguments because some arguments call for just that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People whose entire identity is how much they know about video games or whatever else.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
The most confident people are often the dumbest.

It's often gendered, too.

As a woman, I've been advised that I should stop prefacing ideas and comments with, "I think that," or basically any sort of speech pattern that indicates I'm not confident in my response. Apparently, by stating something confidently you're more likely to convince the other person you know what you're talking about.

I doubt that holds true just in the workplace, too.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I've noticed an upswing in negativity and rudeness here. I wonder if covid is related at all. People are definitely feeling stressed and might not be managing it well.

I'm certainly guilty of it, and I'm making an effort to be more positive.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I've noticed an upswing in negativity and rudeness here. I wonder if covid is related at all. People are definitely feeling stressed and might not be managing it well.

I'm certainly guilty of it, and I'm making an effort to be more positive.
This place has been mostly negative and rude way before covid.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed people are so much more on edge than normal, especially in any Star Wars thread where it is totally unprovoked. Like I understand people getting heated about politics, but I've seen more civil discourse in primary threads than TLJ threads.
People have been in lockdown for two months, under stress for tons of reasons, so it will cross into everything.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
My personal creed for forum posting is that I will never write anything I wouldn't be fine with having my close friends or family see. Also I try to imagine reading these 20 or so years from now and not wanting to punch myself in the face.

Mar 10, 2018
I honestly get tired of seeing phrases like "_ is trash," "absolute garbage," "dumpster fire," etc. Why y'all so obsessed with waste?

But forreal, no. Stop. Talk like an actual human being. I know you don't speak that way in person.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Dudes really be acting like it's an anime and shit with how they react to people on the internet lol. Like, they think they can pop off and it'll give em some badass points. My guy, this ain't One Piece. You ain't gonna get people saying "damn who's that badass who said that" on a forum lol.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty confident statement.
Yeah, I'm not the smartest.

As a woman, I've been advised that I should stop prefacing ideas and comments with, "I think that," or basically any sort of speech pattern that indicates I'm not confident in my response. Apparently, by stating something confidently you're more likely to convince the other person you know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I think a lot of times, it's more important to be compelling than correct. You just can't bullshit too much, and people will think you're great at what you do.

On here, though, I usually see this phenomenon play out when people think longer posts are stronger arguments. It's like we're back in ninth grade, where we have minimum-word limits on our essays. And I don't know about you, but what makes a stronger argument than five paragraphs of seven sentences and three concrete details apiece, amirite?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Forums have been like this since the BBS days, but it does feel more concentrated lately. I get tired of hot takes all day long.

But I do love dunking on folks in thread backfires. Those are fun.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
The biggest thing is people stating things super definitively, despite having no evidence or not actually being sure of the claim at all. And yes, are often rude about it. Then later on they're exposed and admit they pulled it out of their ass - just embarrassing.
Speak from a position of false authority to decrease the chance you will be questioned.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of the time, it's just easier to fall back on snark than to come up with a measured and substantive response. I'm often guilty of this.

Last edited:

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Personally, I try not to post negative things like "I hate X" "X is bad" "this is trash". I try to post about things that I like instead.
If something is really bad, you guys will have said it 100 times already. So, I don't need to contribute.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

In actuality, the smartest/most competent people will qualify the shit out of their statements--because they can foresee all the angles from which other smart people who also know what they're talking about could challenge what they're saying.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed this forum has some snarky and arrogant douchebags whose knowledge is focused on fucking videogames.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Hasn't it always been like this? I assume it's gotten worse because normal people are partaking in what used to be a nerd-infested-space known as the Internet.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I try to avoid getting into heated exchanges, but as a reader, I can understand passion if it's around a really important topic. When the stakes are high, so are the emotions, after all.

But about movies, games, etc? Utterly unnecessary and childish. It's something I grew out of 15 years ago.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
In actuality, the smartest/most competent people will qualify the shit out of their statements--because they can foresee all the angles from which other smart people who also know what they're talking about could challenge what they're saying.
or if you're like me, you just really don't want people to call you out ever so you couch everything in qualifiers to make it less attractive to start an argument

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Yep, always give yourself some cover by allowing alternatives to your own point. Or don't. Whatever works for you.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The anonymity is the only reason. These people wouldn't be saying nasty stuff to your face in person. >.> I sometimes get tired of the snark on forums especially when it was not justifiable at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been tempted to blow up at a few people from time to time, but I always find that if I just take a minute and think about it it's just never worth it. Like, okay, I can be an asshole, but it's just as likely to blow up in my face and snag me a ban or something. I value the privilege I have to post here and don't want to lose it, so I always err on the side of caution when it comes to my interactions.

OP
OP

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I've had a varied experience with this. When you're making a point in front of a group it is actually really important to be confident. You can qualify a little bit but a lot of people will take qualifications as a sign of weakness/lack of confidence/support in position, even if you're trying to demonstrate your knowledge.

So it's a matter of being confident and strong in your position but being prepared for drilldown questions--being socially smart and book smart. People will be impressed you can defend your position more than if you highlight the flaws/exceptions in your points, in my experience. People will listen to confident statements.

This is more about the workplace, though, so I digress. I'm not too invested in persuasion on here, haha.

On snark, I am also guilty of drive-by posts, but I try to keep it humorous if possible (I hope it comes off that way). Also, people going at devs on here gets to me, too. Like dude they're people too